What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (2 Viewers)

Don't know how Pinter lasted this long.

43.01 The Birthday Party play by Harold Pinter

I saw two Pinter one act plays today, A Kind of Alaska and Ashes to Ashes. I think I ruined the experience by telling my wife over and over "I drafted a Pinter" in an Internet draft. She was unimpressed. So were the people sitting next to us.

BAM

A lot of these were difficult decisions, especially when one thing is a component of another (what's more important - gunpowder or the gun itself?). I did my best to research the ones that I didn't really know much about. I have a rudimentary knowledge (read: 1 semester) of engineering, so hopefully I did all of the scientific inventions some justice. For the record, I tried to judge based on the initial impact of the item, how useful it is today (has it been upgraded? is it useless in today's society?), how many substitutes there are, etc. Some things I didn't even really think were inventions. They were given 1 point.

FLAME/DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES. If someone convinces me otherwise, I MIGHT change my score.

Inventions (each section in NO ORDER)

5 points

The Printing Press

Computer

Cuneiform Writing

Abacus

Compass

Telephone

World Wide Web

The Gasoline-Powered Automobile

Nuclear Reactor

Microprocessor

The Incandescent Light Bulb

Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors

Mechanical Clock

The Electrical Generator/Dynamo

Man-made Plastic

Integrated Circuit

Assembly Line

Internal Combustion Engine

Radio

Arabic Numerals/Decimal system

4 points

The Latin/Roman Alphabet

The Steam Engine

Artificial Heart

Flouridated Water

Paper

Telegraph

Gregorian Calendar

Electrical Grid

Steam-Powered Locomotive

Telescope

Artificial Satellite

The Engined Airplane

Catalytic Cracking

Voltaic Pile (Electric Battery)

Sound Recording

Steel

Eyeglasses

Microscope

The Transistor

Motion Pictures

3 points

Gunpowder

Anesthesia

Atomic Bomb

Cotton Gin

Laser

Soap

The Metric System

Newspaper

Mobile (Cell) Phone

Pencil

Topical Antiseptic/Antiseptic Surgical Techniques

Bessemer Process

The Refrigerator/Freezer

Hydraulics

Hypodermic Syringe

Plough

Radar

Alternating Current Induction Motor

Nuclear Marine Propulsion

Smelting

2 points

Coca-Cola

Television

Camera

Condom

Concrete

Frozen Food

X-Rays

The Olympic Games

Morse Code

Barcode

Indoor Plumbing

Oral Contraceptives

Blood Bank

Rifle

Helicopter

The Vacuum Tube

Magnetic Tape Audio Recording

Submarine

The Machine Gun

Compact Disc

1 point

Association Football (Soccer)

Baseball

Beer

Elevator

The Bikini

Zoo

Video Games

Football

Piano

Pizza

Vacuum Flask (Thermos)

The Stirrup

Digital Video Recorder (DVR/TiVo)

Emergency Room

Guitar

The Astrolab

Sliced Bread

Barbed Wire Fencing

Velcro

Comedy
How terribly absurd that you consider 24 inventions more important than paper.I won right?

Judging here was great in spots, biased and absurd in others.

My selection of the Bikini was a moment of blinding brilliance, a true high water mark :goodposting:

And for Fennis:

27.01 Glengarry Glen Ross - Play by David Mamet

My favorite Mamet although several others, and in other formats, are worthy for this draft.
I saw this ####### play last night, they did a really ####### great job, you ####s. what a ####### fantastic show.I am am making my way through all the Great Works of Team Fennis/Krista. :bag:

BAM

A lot of these were difficult decisions, especially when one thing is a component of another (what's more important - gunpowder or the gun itself?). I did my best to research the ones that I didn't really know much about. I have a rudimentary knowledge (read: 1 semester) of engineering, so hopefully I did all of the scientific inventions some justice. For the record, I tried to judge based on the initial impact of the item, how useful it is today (has it been upgraded? is it useless in today's society?), how many substitutes there are, etc. Some things I didn't even really think were inventions. They were given 1 point.

FLAME/DISCUSS AMONGST YOURSELVES. If someone convinces me otherwise, I MIGHT change my score.

Inventions (each section in NO ORDER)

5 points

The Printing Press

Computer

Cuneiform Writing

Abacus

Compass

Telephone

World Wide Web

The Gasoline-Powered Automobile

Nuclear Reactor

Microprocessor

The Incandescent Light Bulb

Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors

Mechanical Clock

The Electrical Generator/Dynamo

Man-made Plastic

Integrated Circuit

Assembly Line

Internal Combustion Engine

Radio

Arabic Numerals/Decimal system

4 points

The Latin/Roman Alphabet

The Steam Engine

Artificial Heart

Flouridated Water

Paper

Telegraph

Gregorian Calendar

Electrical Grid

Steam-Powered Locomotive

Telescope

Artificial Satellite

The Engined Airplane

Catalytic Cracking

Voltaic Pile (Electric Battery)

Sound Recording

Steel

Eyeglasses

Microscope

The Transistor

Motion Pictures

3 points

Gunpowder

Anesthesia

Atomic Bomb

Cotton Gin

Laser

Soap

The Metric System

Newspaper

Mobile (Cell) Phone

Pencil

Topical Antiseptic/Antiseptic Surgical Techniques

Bessemer Process

The Refrigerator/Freezer

Hydraulics

Hypodermic Syringe

Plough

Radar

Alternating Current Induction Motor

Nuclear Marine Propulsion

Smelting

2 points

Coca-Cola

Television

Camera

Condom

Concrete

Frozen Food

X-Rays

The Olympic Games

Morse Code

Barcode

Indoor Plumbing

Oral Contraceptives

Blood Bank

Rifle

Helicopter

The Vacuum Tube

Magnetic Tape Audio Recording

Submarine

The Machine Gun

Compact Disc

1 point

Association Football (Soccer)

Baseball

Beer

Elevator

The Bikini

Zoo

Video Games

Football

Piano

Pizza

Vacuum Flask (Thermos)

The Stirrup

Digital Video Recorder (DVR/TiVo)

Emergency Room

Guitar

The Astrolab

Sliced Bread

Barbed Wire Fencing

Velcro

Comedy
How terribly absurd that you consider 24 inventions more important than paper.
24B - the paper airplane.

'MisfitBlondes' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:32 PM' post='10536022']

MisfitBlondes said:
TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Tides, this is an internet draft. Are you ####### kidding me?
No, I am not

Why should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?
Would you make that same wager with me?
Absolutely
Awesome. :shrug: If OH declines your offer, let me know.

--

Me ####in too :shrug:

This would be fun.

'TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

No, I am not

Why should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?
Haha "wager". Haha "my presence". Haha "condescinding". Haha internets and tough guys.

Haha "charity golf."

Duke, there is almost nothing you have typed that doesn't crack me up.
Here it is. Classic.

'TidesofWar said:

No, I am not

Haha "wager". Haha "my presence". Haha "condescinding". Haha internets and tough guys.

Haha "charity golf."

Here it is. Classic.
:lmao: How the hell did I miss that? :lmao:

TidesofWar said:

Tides, this is an internet draft.Are you ####### kidding me?
No, I am notWhy should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?
Haha "wager". Haha "my presence". Haha "condescinding". Haha internets and tough guys.Haha "charity golf."

The single greatest moment of any timschochet draft right here.

10 Points

Bayeux Tapestry

SR-71

Woodstock

I'm thinking, how do I explain this? How do I justify giving these three picks 10 points, as opposed to 4 points or 18 points?

I'm not even going to bother trying. I'm simply going to state that, as an OBJECTIVE FACT- the achievement of the Woodstock concert is exactly equal to the achievement of the SR-71 which is also exactly equal to the Bayeaux Tapestry, and they are ALL about middle of the road in terms of the greatest human acheivements of all time.

Just try disputing it. I don't think you can.

:lmao:   :lmao:

If you are ever a timschochet Draft judge, you know exactly where this is coming from.

Super fun, miss these.

[News helicopters swirl overhead. The lone news reporter braves high winds and stinging rain to announce to the world:]

"Uncle Humuna ... has been spotted. This is not a joke. Repeat -- Uncle Humuna has been spotted!"

Welcome back, GB :D  

Not reading the whole thing right now but please tell me that The Wire going in round 3 of a draft covering all of humanity’s great works was laughed off the forum. 

I will follow Krista

Follow Her wherever She may go,

And near Her, I always will be

For nothing can keep me away,

She is my destiny.

I will follow Krista,

Ever since She touched my heart I knew,

There'll never be too high a peak,

Or too withering a critique,

To keep me away, away from Her love.

I love Her, I love Her, I love Her,

And, in this draft,

I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow.

She'll always be my true love, my true love, my true love

from now until forever, forever, forever

I will follow Her,

Follow Her wherever She may go,

No documentary

Can show how much she's meant to me,

Can't keep me away, away from Her love...

I love Her

(Oh yes I love Her)

I'll follow

(I'm gonna follow)

True love

(She'll always be my true, true love)

Forever

(Now until forever)

I love Her, I love Her, I love Her,

Like Oliver,

I'll follow, I'll follow, I'll follow,

She'll always be my true love,

My true love, my true love,

From now until forever,

Forever, forever...

I dont mean to be a big creep,

But there is no web too wide to keep,

Keep me away, away from Her love

flysack's out or i am. nufced

We should have had another Great Works Draft while wikkid was here.  I'd forgotten all the ins and outs until we started the Wikkidpedia project and I got to this page.  These two posts were in immediate succession - the song was a joke about allegations by TidesOfWar that I had a cadre of "Desperate Followers".  And ####### flysack is the one who drove wikkid off.  Not TidesOfWar or any of the other nincompoops in the draft.  flysack.  That guy.

This was wikkid's baby, too.

Maybe we should do a new one in honor of him.  Always loved a good draft.  Anyone interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm out of the draft. for all intents & purposes, i'm out of the FFA.

Borderline Personality Disorder (look it up) used to be an aberration, the armor of those incapable of creating positive feeling about themselves. now it is a lifestyle choice. there's a reason for that & one need look no farther than the face one shaves/tweezes in the morning. morality lies not in a church, decency not in a crusade. to have what we must to succeed as a society, each heart & soul must be defended and kept worthy of that defense. the first step in that vigilence is paying attention to one's surroundings to see where one can contribute, correct those who obstruct. the last is to invest enough of oneself to be of aid in the flow of human discourse. it's just as simple as that. we are herd animals - if the one who endangers the many is not isolated and, further, ostracized, the community comes under risk of attack, from without & within. in the last generation, the laissez-faire legacy of 60s openness & mellow has devolved into a code of selfishness & oblivion worthy of Ancient Rome. we have tended our personal & societal borders so poorly that most dont even know they exist or are supposed to exist. this is a way of woe.

i'm a fat old man whose health indicators say that heart attack #4 is close at hand - i dont have much longer to worry about it. but you should - it is the dictate of being human to have always left the world better than you found it. your complacency can make this generation the first that didnt.

Flysack has never offered these forums anything but "tude". when i told him, b4 the draft, that his act made him unworthy to be a judge of the GWD, he not only went ballistic on me (here & :e:lsewhere) but has apparently sought to be a disruptive influence since. i dont know how he found his way onto Team BL but, well that's BL's call. with his teammate otherwise engaged, Flysack spent his energy using the off-clock of the last 2 wkends jacking up the draft - not only holding up forever but coming on to announce that he didnt feel lie drafting right now. hence, my ultimatum. there's is no better evidence that the lil punk knew what he was doing than that he drafted almost immediately after i drew a line in the sand, not knowing which way the wind would blow.

Turns out there was a doldrums the likes of which i havent seen since Mutiny on the Bounty (sorry for the spotlighting). Not only does this moral lassitude spit on what value i have tried to add to these boards, it makes me realize that i am drafting among people who are not fit to be arbiters of aesthetics. until there is as much will as taste behind your choices, you are merely customers. cant say i dont have genuine affection for a few of you, but you have forced the realization upon me that my time can be better spent. next time you wonder what wikkid would say about something, realise you've yourself to thank for not knowing. nufced.

effin flysack

We should have had another Great Works Draft while wikkid was here.  I'd forgotten all the ins and outs until we started the Wikkidpedia project and I got to this page.  These two posts were in immediate succession - the song was a joke about allegations by TidesOfWar that I had a cadre of "Desperate Followers".  And ####### flysack is the one who drove wikkid off.  Not TidesOfWar or any of the other nincompoops in the draft.  flysack.  That guy.

This was wikkid's baby, too.

Maybe we should do a new one in honor of him.  Always loved a good draft.  Anyone interested?

I would. Wasn't in the first one, so I would definitely be in this one.

I would. Wasn't in the first one, so I would definitely be in this one.

Fantastic.  Our tastes always seem similar, so I'd expect you to snipe me.  :boxing:   

Let's see if we can rumble up any interest here, and if so, I'll start a fresh thread and ask officially for participants (you're on my yes list now).  

We don't have to do judging like in this one.  But once we have participants, we could decide.

Let's see if we can rumble up any interest here, and if so, I'll start a fresh thread and ask officially for participants (you're on my yes list now).  
I know you haven't even invited me or rumbled interest, but I'm weak with Great Works. Works that are equivalent to peeing in the snow? I'm number one at that. But Great Works? No ma'am. 

Most of these people seem to be absent from the site now, but here you go.  I'm going to @ those I think are still around, meaning I looked to see if they've visited in the last three years and if they are not flysack.  If I've missed any of those who are around under other names or something, sorry.

Categories and judges:

In Book By The Sea Wannabe

Novel Postradamus

Short Story @Oliver Humanzee

Poem Postradamus

Philosophical/Political Idea @Yankee23Fan

Scientific Discovery Big Rocks

Invention @Steve Tasker

Painting @BobbyLayne

Movie @krista4

Documentary FilmsKrista4

Television Show Yankee23fan

Acting Performance Krista4

Building/Structure @El Floppo

Sculpture @the moops 

Plays @timschochet

Composition Misfit Blondes

Song Uncle Humuna

Album Oliver Humanzee

Sports Record DC Thunder

Political Document Yankee23fan

Wildcard timschochet

Participants:

1. Fennis / krista4

2. @rodg12 

3. Postradamus 

4. timschochet 

5. @Doug B

6. @Abrantes

7. BobbyLayne / flysack

8. @TidesofWar 

9. wikkidpissah (Big Rocks as sub later)

10. @thatguy

11. El Floppo 

12. @Mister CIA

13. Uncle Humuna 

14. Misfit Blondes

15. Bob Lee Swagger 

16. @ScottNorwood

17. DC Thunder 

18. Genedoc / @Bonzai

19. Tirnan 

20. Yankee23 Fan 

I know you haven't even invited me or rumbled interest, but I'm weak with Great Works. Works that are equivalent to peeing in the snow? I'm number one at that. But Great Works? No ma'am. 

You'd be great at this.  Without having judging, I think it would be a better discussion just of what people love and why, which is how wikkid would have liked it the first time.  You have a breadth of knowledge that is as wide as almost anyone's.  But I won't twist your arm.

Also, people are welcome to pair up to draft!  In the original, I was teammates with Fennis (miss that guy), and BobbyLayne was a pair with flysack.  There might have been others I forgot, too.

I be in.  I missed this the first time, and I was very annoyed.  It wasn't until two years later that I was able to catch a draft as it started and join FBG.  Mr R and I discussed this stuff at the time.  I may miss judging the doc films though.  That was fun.

(Mr R sucked me into another doc feature this evening.  So much for anything else.)

In as a drafter

Out as a judge

i think this is the one where Genedoc drafted the wrong Warhol - Gold Marilyn Monroe (MoMA) or Shot Marilyns (5 in total, privately held - Sage Blue sold at Christie’s NY for $195M a few months ago) instead of the Tate’s Marilyn Diptych (1962.) The latter was named the third most influential piece of modern art in a survey of 500 artists and critics 5 years after this draft.

Anyway, there’s a world class vitriolic diatribe somewhere in the judging section of this draft. When Genedoc made his pick I queried which one he had in mind.- the one he linked or Diptych. I was trying to give him a chance to self-correct. He had an epic meltdown 7-10 days later & thought I was playing “gotcha!”.

EDIT: Curiously he actually drafted Untitled from Marilyn Monroe (1967), a series of 10 silkscreens of the same publicity shot from the movie Niagara. They’re usually named for the colors used (Orange Marilyn sold for 17.3M in 1998, White Marilyn for $41M.) MoMA holds one; it’s not on permanent display.

shudders in Ozmandias

Wondering if there’s a link between combat PTSD and Timdraft PTSD.

So many missing FBG favorites in this draft. Fennis, Big Rocks, Misfit Blonds, Uncle Humuna, DC Thunder, Abrantes, thatguy.

In as a drafter

Out as a judge

i think this is the one where Genedoc drafted the wrong Warhol - Gold Marilyn Monroe (MoMA) or Shot Marilyns (5 in total, privately held - Sage Blue sold at Christie’s NY for $195M a few months ago) instead of the Tate’s Marilyn Diptych (1962.) The latter was named the third most influential piece of modern art in a survey of 500 artists and critics 5 years after this draft.

Anyway, there’s a world class vitriolic diatribe somewhere in the judging section of this draft. When Genedoc made his pick I queried which one he had in mind.- the one he linked or Diptych. I was trying to give him a chance to self-correct. He had an epic meltdown 7-10 days later & thought I was playing “gotcha!”.

EDIT: Curiously he actually drafted Untitled from Marilyn Monroe (1967), a series of 10 silkscreens of the same publicity shot from the movie Niagara. They’re usually named for the colors used (Orange Marilyn sold for 17.3M in 1998, White Marilyn for $41M.) MoMA holds one; it’s not on permanent display.

shudders in Ozmandias

Wondering if there’s a link between combat PTSD and Timdraft PTSD.

So many missing FBG favorites in this draft. Fennis, Big Rocks, Misfit Blonds, Uncle Humuna, DC Thunder, Abrantes, thatguy.
I wonder whatever happened to DC Thunder. He and I had a lot of fun talking about Maryland & DC as they were back in the day. He was a big Terps fan, too, so we had that in common as well. He always typed me "Urak", for some reason :lol:

I wish I had gotten a real-life contact for him.

Users who are viewing this thread