What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

bryhamm said:
Has anyone smoked a potato? Planning to smoke a beer can chicken today, and thought about smoking some baking potatoes, as well.

Most of what I've found says to cut slits in the skin, rub with olive oil and rub, then just throw them in the smoker for 1.5 - 2 hours. Seems simple enough, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience/tips.
That seems awfully long. I make baked potatoes on my kettle all the time, setting them up for indirect heat. I only leave them on for 45-60 minutes.
Turned out that 2 hours at 250-275 was just about right. I poked holes in them, rubbed them down with olive oil, then sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Tasted like a slightly crunchier baked potato. Pretty good!
This is how I do it. I love potatoes off the smoker.

this has been posted over and over again, but I always forget.

How many servings per pound of pork shoulder? Assume a 4-6 ounce heap of pulled pork per serving.

ALSO

Looking for a new pork butt recipe. I have been using variations of this for years, but I am bored with it. Watcha got?

How many servings per pound of pork shoulder? Assume a 4-6 ounce heap of pulled pork per serving.

ALSO

Looking for a new pork butt recipe. I have been using variations of this for years, but I am bored with it. Watcha got?
I use a variation of this rub

http://www.firecraft.com/product/kansas-city-sweet-and-smoky-rub/bbq-recipes

I add dark brown sugar, more cayenne and some crushed red pepper to go for a sweet/spicy bark.

Also make a variation of Roxy's Mustard Sauce

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

(less vinegar, more mustard)

ETA: I'll baste once, maybe twice with a mixture of apple juice, beer and a little bit of rub.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALSO

Pork butt yields 50% end product, so if you have a 8 pound butt you can expect 4 pounds of pulled pork, at 16oz a pound you have 64 oz or in your case 10-16 servings

ALSO

Pork butt yields 50% end product, so if you have a 8 pound butt you can expect 4 pounds of pulled pork, at 16oz a pound you have 64 oz or in your case 10-16 servings
Thanks Megla!

ALSO

I add dark brown sugar, more cayenne and some crushed red pepper to go for a sweet/spicy bark.

ETA: I'll baste once, maybe twice with a mixture of apple juice, beer and a little bit of rub.
Thanks!

ALSO

anyone else? Doing two shoulders this weekend for a Derby Party. Could always do one and one.

I have a college graduation cook this Saturday for 100

Ribs

Chicken

Wings

sandwich meats (brisket and turkey breast)

slaw

mac and cheese

meatballs

bruschetta

the forcast is calling for a high of 70 and 80% chance of rain :rant:

Going to be a long day

My group at work has a tradition we call "Ham Day". We are having a late Cinco de Mayo celebration on Wednesday and have rebranded this tradition, "Carnitas Day".

I'm bringing the Carnitas - I'm going to try and get the pork shoulders on the smoker by 5 or 6 on Tuesday and give it 5-6 hours on the smoker before throwing it in a slow cooker with some beer and chicken broth, green chiles, onions and jalapenos to braise over night.

My group at work has a tradition we call "Ham Day". We are having a late Cinco de Mayo celebration on Wednesday and have rebranded this tradition, "Carnitas Day".

I'm bringing the Carnitas - I'm going to try and get the pork shoulders on the smoker by 5 or 6 on Tuesday and give it 5-6 hours on the smoker before throwing it in a slow cooker with some beer and chicken broth, green chiles, onions and jalapenos to braise over night.
Was thinking about things I have in the fridge and I just bought a bunch of fresh pineapple. Might braise in pineapple juice and add pineapple chunks instead.

Saw these on a Weber blog on Facebook. Yummy!!!!

Don't think you could smoke them!

Banana Boats

Serves: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: 12 to 15 minutes

4 firm bananas
1 cup miniature marshmallows
2 chocolate bars, chopped into pieces
1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts

1. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).

2. Using a sharp knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of each banana to make a pocket. Start and end about ½ inch from each end and be careful not to cut all the way through the banana. Grab the banana from each end and push gently towards each other to open up the pocket. Stuff the pocket with equal parts marshmallow, chocolate, and walnuts.

3. Grill the stuffed bananas over indirect medium heat, with the closed, until the chocolate melts, the marshmallows brown, and the peels turn dark, 12 to 15 minutes.

4. Serve with ice cream or eat with a spoon right from the peel.

Has anyone used a Smokenator to turn an ordinary Weber kettle into a smoker? I've been reading some on-line reviews and it sounds like a good solution since I don't want to go whole hog on a dedicated smoker and love my charcoal Weber.

Banana Boats

4 firm bananas

2. Using a sharp knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of each banana to make a pocket. Start and end about ½ inch from each end and be careful not to cut all the way through the banana. Grab the banana from each end and push gently towards each other to open up the pocket. Stuff the pocket with equal parts marshmallow, chocolate, and walnuts.

3. Grill the stuffed bananas over indirect medium heat, with the closed, until the chocolate melts, the marshmallows brown, and the peels turn dark, 12 to 15 minutes.

Whoa.

Can anyone recommend a good meat thermometer?
I have one of these. Like it, I've had it for a couple of years. Wireless is important, so you can leave the probe with the grill/smoker/oven and take the display with you to keep track of the cookin'.

If I were to buy a new one, I might buy one with Bluetooth so I could tie it into my iPhone.

ALSO

Thanks!
that mustard sauce is awesome. especially good when topping sandwich with slaw. Drizzle it on...

ALSO

Thanks!
that mustard sauce is awesome. especially good when topping sandwich with slaw. Drizzle it on...
Whats a good slaw recipe for pulled pork? I tend to dislike slaw but I'm willing to give it a shot

ALSO

Thanks!
Whats a good slaw recipe for pulled pork? I tend to dislike slaw but I'm willing to give it a shot
This is different and goes well with Pulled Pork, I always let it sit a day before using

[SIZE=12pt]MANGO JALAPENO SLAW[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1/2 cup diced mango [/SIZE]

2 large jalapen[SIZE=12pt]os, seeded and chopped [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2 tablespoons white wine vinegar [/SIZE]

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon water

1 small shallot, minced

1 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Salt and freshly ground pepper

7 cups shredded coleslaw mix

In a saucepan, combine the mango, jalapen[SIZE=12pt]os, vinegar, sugar, water and shallot. Cover and simmer until the mango is softened, 10 minutes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Transfer the mango mixture to a food processor and puree; scrape into a large bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.[/SIZE]

Banana Boats

4 firm bananas

We make these every 4th of July, I also used carmle drops, yougart drops

I have the Mother's Day beef brisket marinading in a mustard slather right now.

Not grilling/smoking but I also picked up some breakfast sausage at the butcher shop that was not the thin links.

They're larger and fatter almost like Johnsonville brats in size. When frying them tomorrow, should i cut them lengthwise to flatten or just keep them whole in the pan?

Couple of weeks ago I smoked turkey legs after Bobby Flay's recipe to much accolade, Brined them first in water/OJ/salt/sugar mix overnight.

Used Tipsy's rub, smoked for about five hours on real low heat. Fabulous

I'm hosting a big barbeque party tomorrow and am putting more meat on my smoker than ever before (4 pork shoulders vs. 1 or 2). Any advice about how the extra meat will affect my cook time? I don't want all my guests sitting around impatiently waiting for the pork to be done.

I'm hosting a big barbeque party tomorrow and am putting more meat on my smoker than ever before (4 pork shoulders vs. 1 or 2). Any advice about how the extra meat will affect my cook time? I don't want all my guests sitting around impatiently waiting for the pork to be done.
Put it on tonight.

1 butt 10 butts, the number shouldn't have any effect the time it takes to cook them, now I'm not saying each will be done at the same time as each but is different even if they weigh close to the same, but you should have you pork done in relatively the same time frame you would have it you were only cooking 1 butt of simular size.

1 butt 10 butts, the number shouldn't have any effect the time it takes to cook them, now I'm not saying each will be done at the same time as each but is different even if they weigh close to the same, but you should have you pork done in relatively the same time frame you would have it you were only cooking 1 butt of simular size.
Thanks. That's good to hear. :thumbup:

ALSO

used this, liked it a lot.

Tried a new "party technique for the butts this time around. Cooked them up to 170ish the night before the party, pulled them off and threw them in the fridge overnight. Finished them the next morning in a crock pot and oven (1 in crock, 2 in oven). Turned out great. Bark texture was probably the best I've had (not too tough, not too mushy), the moisture was even better.

I think this might be my new fast/"easy" way to do pork butt.

Burgers last night, spatchcocked chicken tonight. Haven't decided what I'm cooking Sunday or Monday yet.

Thanks. That's good to hear. :thumbup:
Just wanted to add you may see a bit longer "rebound times" for the smoker to get up to 225-250 window after loading full of cold meat (vs just one butt)... And perhaps a LITTLE longer each time you open it until the butts warm up a bit. However you're talking about a small difference there. Just wanted to be sure you factored that in if you had a set serving time.

Well the pig roast was cancelled this year for Memorial Weekend. My FiL broke his heels falling off a ladder. Couldn't get the place ready in time and my place is great for outdoor entertaining, if it rained, it's not the best place to accomodate that big of a crowd. Instead we went small, about 20 people and did a pizza bar. It was epic good fun.

I do lots of tri tips and ribs on my santa Maria grill.

I usually stick with the normal central coast flavor profile ( garlic salt pepper oregano) but looking to branch out a bit. I'm going to start experimenting with adding more heat to my own base mix. Any recommendations for good dry rubs?

Cheap solid "instant read" for those not budgeting for a thermapen
Much better ...just can't take the $80 plunge.
Thermapens are great but I can see not wanting to spend that kind of money if you don't use it that often. I bought one of these:

ThermapenMini

It is their mini version of the thermapen. $29 and this thing works great. Automatically shuts off when you slide it in the case and no buttons to push to turn it on. Gives a good reading within a few seconds. I had bought a digital therm for $18 before this one and it sucked compared to the therma-mini. It jumped all around the place in temps. The mini is accurate.

I'm very happy with the purchase.

Cheap solid "instant read" for those not budgeting for a thermapen
Much better ...just can't take the $80 plunge.
Thermapens are great but I can see not wanting to spend that kind of money if you don't use it that often. I bought one of these:

ThermapenMini

It is their mini version of the thermapen. $29 and this thing works great. Automatically shuts off when you slide it in the case and no buttons to push to turn it on. Gives a good reading within a few seconds. I had bought a digital therm for $18 before this one and it sucked compared to the therma-mini. It jumped all around the place in temps. The mini is accurate.

I'm very happy with the purchase.
That is a great little therm. I just emailed my contact at thermapen and asked him to send me one of them and a regular one in red for my article is St. Louis Magazine on grilling gifts for Dad on Father's Day. They also have a give away promotion. I'll be doing a FB rafflecopter deal for all kinds of Thermapen goodies. I'll post a link when I get more details...

I smoked a pork butt and some ribs this week as well as grilled some chicken wings. They all turned out very good. I have a cousin in Memphis who sent me a care package with Rendezvous Original seasoning and a bottle of Victory Lane Mild BBQ sauce. Both products are freakin' outstanding. (I have never tried either) Highly recommend them both....WOW.

Users who are viewing this thread