What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure on the particulars, but I know people who have smoked them raw on the grill and swear they make the best egg salad or deviled eggs ever. 
ok i didnt get a chance to do it last weekend but i will be doing it this weekend.  I will report back.  Just need to figure out how to tell when done. 

ok i didnt get a chance to do it last weekend but i will be doing it this weekend.  I will report back.  Just need to figure out how to tell when done. 
I would find some folks that have done it. I'm guessing smoke at 250 for maybe an hour. I'm not sure that cooking too long will be the end of the world. 

I would find some folks that have done it. I'm guessing smoke at 250 for maybe an hour. I'm not sure that cooking too long will be the end of the world. 
225 @ 2 hours resulted in a very hard boiled egg for me. Pics upthread.  I like a softboiled egg with the white hard and the yolk just runny.  So I'm going to try an hour next time. Maybe pull one at 30 minutes and plunge cool and peel so I can pull the others if needed.

Oh, that's the other thing, have a bucket of ice water handy to dump them in right after pulling from the smoker to stop the cooking and get them fridge or peel ready.

My wife bought me the Weber Smokey Mountain 18 for the holidays. I've never used a smoker before, but I'm excited. My go to has been the Weber Spirit 310 for grilling the basics.

So my question for all of you - what accessories do I need to purchase? Being in MA it hasn't really been the weather to hang outside yet but with it starting to warm up I want to get going with this.

I am assuming I need to a starter. Something like this? https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/what's-hot/must-have-accessories/7416.html

Looking for advice on thermometers and anything else that I would need to start from scratch.

Thanks.

My wife bought me the Weber Smokey Mountain 18 for the holidays. I've never used a smoker before, but I'm excited. My go to has been the Weber Spirit 310 for grilling the basics.

So my question for all of you - what accessories do I need to purchase? Being in MA it hasn't really been the weather to hang outside yet but with it starting to warm up I want to get going with this.

I am assuming I need to a starter. Something like this? https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/what's-hot/must-have-accessories/7416.html

Looking for advice on thermometers and anything else that I would need to start from scratch.

Thanks.
Or maybe I get the bigger chimney? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B5BHKDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MN0Q8FM428YHZZ3XQ1T9

Looking at gloves and thermometers too. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Imo you need the chimney, a thermometer probe that tells you grate temp and meat temp and can be used in the house.  Maverick makes some decent ones.  You need a probe like a thermopen to check temps. Grillin gloves.  Maybe a set of long tongs.  I like to have a small bucket for ashes when cleaning it out.  And wood.  Chunks not chips.  Honestly that’s it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
just finished a pork butt.  now got 2 eggs on the smoker.  Will see what one looks like at 1 hour.  The other i will let go roughly 2 hours.  temp is 210, should avg around 200.

Imo you need the chimney, a thermometer probe that tells you grate temp and meat temp and can be used in the house.  Maverick makes some decent ones.  You need a probe like a thermopen to check temps. Grillin gloves.  Maybe a set of long tongs.  I like to have a small bucket for ashes when cleaning it out.  And wood.  Chunks not chips.  Honestly that’s it. 
Good list - thanks. Anything you have liked to watch the temps in the house?

I have an old set of Ove gloves that I use for heat protection when handling the chimney, etc.  But I also recommend a pair of silicone gloves that are washable that you can use to actually handle meat with.

And while I'm looking at my Amazon orders, this is for everyone.  This cast iron pot is my new favorite accessory.  Sauteed garlic and rosemary in there last night to top my grilled pork chops when I took them off.

just finished a pork butt.  now got 2 eggs on the smoker.  Will see what one looks like at 1 hour.  The other i will let go roughly 2 hours.  temp is 210, should avg around 200.
Aight.  An hour on smoke setting(200) equals soft boil.  Probably 1.5 hours for hard boil.  It came out nice.  Hint of smoke not a ton due to the shell.  I could boil first but honestly i think i found a new way to make soft boiled egg in bulk.

Have a Pork loin on and ribs. Pork loin I will take up to 115, then pull and let cool completely.  I slice it up and Freeze it for nice quick meals on the grill during the week. Haven't had to smoker out in about 2 months because January and February were miserable in Iowa so looking forward to firing it up every weekend again.

Haven’t searched yet.  But looking for a good recipe for double smoked ham.  

also any good places to order a pre smoked hame from?

I did not mop, but did use this on my sandwich. I used apple cider vinegar because I was worried white would be too sharp. My mistake. It was good but I will use white next time for a lil more bite. 
Im sure it gets better as it sits also

Thanks @PinkydaPimp
Yea i made this today as well.  White is definitely perfect for it.  And it does better as it sits.  Lasts forever.  

Moving into a new house in three weeks.  It has a a decent outdoor BBQ setup with a traeger incased in brick.

Always just been casual with the outdoor BBQ. Never had something super nice before. 

Thing is, the grill is pretty dirty and grimy with a decent build up.  I've always cleaned my grill seconds after finishing cooking and I have never seen anything this bad before. 

What's the best way to get rid of all the gunk?

Moving into a new house in three weeks.  It has a a decent outdoor BBQ setup with a traeger incased in brick.

Always just been casual with the outdoor BBQ. Never had something super nice before. 

Thing is, the grill is pretty dirty and grimy with a decent build up.  I've always cleaned my grill seconds after finishing cooking and I have never seen anything this bad before. 

sd-20 and wd-40, white scotch brite and a good wirebrush.  will bring it back to new.  Although i use this on stainless steel so just confirm this is cool with a traeger. 

I'd start off with a good hot burn off. Run it at high temp for a couple hours.  Let it cool.  Then disassemble it and clean everything out. An Ash vacuum or a shop-vac with a bag in it is your friend.  If there is a lot of gunk that you can see there is probably even more pellet ash in the body that needs to be vacuumed. Wash the grates.

I would use Easy Off oven cleaner and metal scrubbers (scotch brite and others make metal scrubber pads or steel wool like pads to scrub with.)

I brined (1 c simmering water, whisk in 2 Tbs of kosher salt n 1 Tbs brown sugar til dissolved, add 1c cup cold water then put in fridge til cool) boneless skinless chicken breasts the other night that I flattened a little to make them even thickness for 1 hour. Ran under cold water, patted dry rubbed with a chicken rub. 
Smoked on my pit boss for 1 hour or so at 200, turned halfway through. 
Turned heat up to 350 and cooked for about 20 minutes til done. Actually overdone (185) they went faster than I expected 

Still easily the best boneless breast I’ve ever had

1st attempt at wings tonight 

Loving the pellet grill so far 

I brined (1 c simmering water, whisk in 2 Tbs of kosher salt n 1 Tbs brown sugar til dissolved, add 1c cup cold water then put in fridge til cool) boneless skinless chicken breasts the other night that I flattened a little to make them even thickness for 1 hour. Ran under cold water, patted dry rubbed with a chicken rub. 
Smoked on my pit boss for 1 hour or so at 200, turned halfway through. 
Turned heat up to 350 and cooked for about 20 minutes til done. Actually overdone (185) they went faster than I expected 

Still easily the best boneless breast I’ve ever had

1st attempt at wings tonight 

Loving the pellet grill so far 
185 is perfect imo.  That’s where i always cook my thighs too.  

In the market for a new pellet smoker. The ole woodwind is on its last legs but held up through 100s of cooks, being knocked over by the wife, a few raging fires (one where I thought the propane tank connected to the sear station was gonna explode) and 5 brutal Minny winters and 1 wet hot Florida summer. 

Had my sights set on a Masterbuilt Gravity but the wife nixed that as she doesn’t like charcoal and wants to stay with pellets which is perplexing but whatever. So I said fine but that they other option was more expensive. 

So thinking rec teq 700 cause the smokebox is extremely alluring. Anyone have one? Honestly the 590 makes more sense as it’s typically just my wife and I but this is America so gotta go big here right?

In the market for a new pellet smoker. The ole woodwind is on its last legs but held up through 100s of cooks, being knocked over by the wife, a few raging fires (one where I thought the propane tank connected to the sear station was gonna explode) and 5 brutal Minny winters and 1 wet hot Florida summer. 

Had my sights set on a Masterbuilt Gravity but the wife nixed that as she doesn’t like charcoal and wants to stay with pellets which is perplexing but whatever. So I said fine but that they other option was more expensive. 

So thinking rec teq 700 cause the smokebox is extremely alluring. Anyone have one? Honestly the 590 makes more sense as it’s typically just my wife and I but this is America so gotta go big here right?
In that price point take a look at the Mak grills 1 star.  https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/smokers/mak-grill-1-star-general-pellet-grill-review

Any thoughts/experience with the RecTeq B380? Stainless body is appealing.

ETA - this is apparently a new/improved version with better temp control vs a prior model.
Just checking to see if you ended up buying the RecTeq B380?  I bought it and have used it a few times. 

I love my RT 700.  I've had it for a little over 18 months. I use the smokebox for cheese and longer colder fish smokes like kings for dip. The smokebox is not as heavily built as the rest of it it but it works great for my purposes. My BIL has the 590.  It's OK, bot no smokebox, less pellet storage, and the odd exhaust vents don't work for me.

Just checking to see if you ended up buying the RecTeq B380?  I bought it and have used it a few times. 
Haven't yet, but probably getting one in the next week or 2.
It's a better grill than a low and slow smoker.  A lot of talk online of it running a lot hotter than the internal temp probe shows.  My experience matches that.  There is an offset setting that is easy to change to get the indicated and actual temps closer.

By design the lid leaves a gap, so even a light gust of wind can swing the temp.  Everything I've cooked on it so far has been great so I can't complain.  Just can't give it a glowing review because of the temp swings.

I love my RT 700.  I've had it for a little over 18 months. I use the smokebox for cheese and longer colder fish smokes like kings for dip. The smokebox is not as heavily built as the rest of it it but it works great for my purposes. My BIL has the 590.  It's OK, bot no smokebox, less pellet storage, and the odd exhaust vents don't work for me.
Right on. 

I pulled the trigger on the rt700. Thought long and hard about a yoder and almost bought one but had issues (Too many drinks) trying to buy it online so was able to give myself an unintended cooling off period. 

Didn’t opt for the smokebox yet and instead grabbed the sear grates. I am skeptical but we’ll see how they work. 

Right on. 

I pulled the trigger on the rt700. Thought long and hard about a yoder and almost bought one but had issues (Too many drinks) trying to buy it online so was able to give myself an unintended cooling off period. 

Didn’t opt for the smokebox yet and instead grabbed the sear grates. I am skeptical but we’ll see how they work. 
I'm not a huge fan of the sear plates but that's probably because I have better alternatives for searing.

You'll love the RT700.  Prepare to be shocked at how heavy it is when you assemble it.

The Yoder's are real nice and very heavy duty as well.  I looked at them but went for the Bull instead because of the stainless steel body. I really wanted something I could leave outside under my covered patio in the salt air and not worry about too much rust. So far, so good although I do keep it covered when not in use.

I last minute wanted to add lamb to the menu this weekend.  It was impossible to find chops, but I did find 3 lbs of lamb shoulders.  Searching around I found this Steakhouse style marinade.  I wanted something different compared to the traditional Greek type approach.  For the steak seasoning, I used Penzy's Chicago Steak Seasoning.  I followed the both the marinade and cooking instructions to the letter (upping things for 3lbs) and the outcome was amazing; seriously some of the best lamb I have ever had (restaurant, home or otherwise).  The temp when done was 148 and it was so tender it could be cut with a fork.   

Report on the ongoing eggsperiment:  30 minutes at 225 results in a viscous liquid albumen and a warm delicious yolk.  1 hour results in a slightly overcooked hard boiled egg but about normal for most people. I'm thinking 40-45 minutes will be my sweet spot for closer to soft boiled but didn't include that in my stopping points for today so will try again another day.

@heckmanm Not sure what to tell you about this Recteq Bullseye.  Completely depends on your intended use.  Great for grilling (it will get very hot for searing), but not-so-great if you're wanting to do low and slow smoking due to the temp swings.  I can keep the temps a lot more stable on a Weber kettle with minimal effort.

I have more to say about it, but want to try a different pellet brand first.  If you are somewhat close (I don't know where you live) I would sell you the Bullseye and official Recteq cover (very nice) for less than half of what I paid.

From everything I've read, Recteq is a great brand, but you might want to look elsewhere in their product line if you want to do low and slow smoking.  Do your research anyway.  :shrug:  

@heckmanm Not sure what to tell you about this Recteq Bullseye.  Completely depends on your intended use.  Great for grilling (it will get very hot for searing), but not-so-great if you're wanting to do low and slow smoking due to the temp swings.  I can keep the temps a lot more stable on a Weber kettle with minimal effort.

I have more to say about it, but want to try a different pellet brand first.  If you are somewhat close (I don't know where you live) I would sell you the Bullseye and official Recteq cover (very nice) for less than half of what I paid.

From everything I've read, Recteq is a great brand, but you might want to look elsewhere in their product line if you want to do low and slow smoking.  Do your research anyway.  :shrug:  
Appreciate the info.  I have a big Brinkmann vertical offset, although it's a little tough to maintain low temps as well - tends to want to run hot, which in turn makes it hard to get enough charcoal for a long cook without having to add more, which then makes the temp fluctuate more.  

I also have to replace an old POS gas grill, so the grilling side of things makes the RT very appealing.  If I can also get "OK" smoking performance out of it, all the better. I'm not fanatical about holding an exact temp; how wide of a temp swing are we talking about? 20 degrees? 50? 100?

I'm in northern Indiana. Wouldn't be opposed to a moderate road trip to save a few bills, but I don't recall seeing your location either.

Users who are viewing this thread