What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Houston Texans Draft Report Card**** (1 Viewer)

guru_007

Footballguy
F-

Not taking Bush is a monumental mistake. But this grade has more to it than that.

First off, WTF is Charley Casserly allowed to be the GM?? He has made two decent draft picks in 4 years. This is a guy that traded about 5 picks to move up a few spots and get Jason Babbin?!?!? The worse part about Casserly, is he's not even going to be the GM come training camp or so. Why doesn't McNair hire the replacement before the draft?

Now, I'm sure there is more to signing Mario Williams than meets the eye. Perhaps the Bush agent was unreasonable. Perhaps there were character issues that didn't meet the owners approval. But when the final decision for a draft is on the owner, this is not good football operations. Sure, he paid out $700 million to purchase the team, so I guess that gives him the right to make the pick, but to say this guy knows more about football than his football people that he has hired means a) he is a moron and b) he has hired incompentant staff.

As a Houstonian and Texans fan, I would love to see someone that knows what they are doing running this team. This is a team that needs way more than a defensive end to make it better, but they don't even explore options to trade down. Know why? WTF wants to make a deal with a lame duck GM? They can't. They know the owner is the guy pulling the strings. So, the Texans are stuck with the #1 pick, and instead of drafting the most dynamic offensive talent to come out in probably a decade, or perhaps going with the most athletic QB to come out since probably Randall Cunningham, to learn the NFL game while a pathetic waste of a draft pick in David Carr collects his tens of millions to be one of the worst QB's in the league, they opt to draft a guy in a position they threw $10's of millions in the offseason to try to fill.

I'll watch the rest of the draft and pray they are able to make one decent pick....but I have no confidence whatsoever in this staff. Welcome to Houston, Gary Kubiak.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the Texans are able to move up into the latter part of the 1st round and get one of the next group of 3-4 RB...than they may have gotten the next Reggie White...cough cough cough...and a good RB.

They are trying to maximize what they can do in the draft. Many really solid RB have been had after the 1st round of the draft.

What if the Texans are able to move up into the latter part of the 1st round and get one of the next group of 3-4 RB...than they may have gotten the next Reggie White...cough cough cough...and a good RB.

They are trying to maximize what they can do in the draft. Many really solid RB have been had after the 1st round of the draft.
They don't really "need" a running back. They have Dominick Davis. They spent a pick last year on Morency. They need a game breaker, someone that can score every time they touch the ball. They need a difference maker.They are not moving up to grab a RB, because they also need a secondary. They have three corner backs, and I have very little faith in two of them. They also are probably going to build an O-line. Not sure if you've seen the number of sacks they have allowed the past 4 years or so.

Just wondering - what was the on the front page of the Houston newspaper this morning?
Newspapers are slanted/biased. If you think they would disparage a billionaire NFL team owner, you are crazy. They made mention that Williams was the #1 pick. That is all.

They can't make up for this blunder. You do not move up for a RB when you are at the top for the best RB already.

I can't even think straight right now.....this is seriously upsetting. I don't get it.

F-

Not taking Bush is a monumental mistake. But this grade has more to it than that.

First off, WTF is Charley Casserly allowed to be the GM?? He has made two decent draft picks in 4 years. This is a guy that traded about 5 picks to move up a few spots and get Jason Babbin?!?!? The worse part about Casserly, is he's not even going to be the GM come training camp or so. Why doesn't McNair hire the replacement before the draft?

Now, I'm sure there is more to signing Mario Williams than meets the eye. Perhaps the Bush agent was unreasonable. Perhaps there were character issues that didn't meet the owners approval. But when the final decision for a draft is on the owner, this is not good football operations. Sure, he paid out $700 million to purchase the team, so I guess that gives him the right to make the pick, but to say this guy knows more about football than his football people that he has hired means a) he is a moron and b) he has hired incompentant staff.

As a Houstonian and Texans fan, I would love to see someone that knows what they are doing running this team. This is a team that needs way more than a defensive end to make it better, but they don't even explore options to trade down. Know why? WTF wants to make a deal with a lame duck GM? They can't. They know the owner is the guy pulling the strings. So, the Texans are stuck with the #1 pick, and instead of drafting the most dynamic offensive talent to come out in probably a decade, or perhaps going with the most athletic QB to come out since probably Randall Cunningham, to learn the NFL game while a pathetic waste of a draft pick in David Carr collects his tens of millions to be one of the worst QB's in the league, they opt to draft a guy in a position they threw $10's of millions in the offseason to try to fill.

I'll watch the rest of the draft and pray they are able to make one decent pick....but I have no confidence whatsoever in this staff. Welcome to Houston, Gary Kubiak.
If they take DeAngelo Williams or Lendel White with the 2nd pick what would your grade be then?? Yes that is a strong possibility.

If they take DeAngelo Williams or Lendel White in the 2nd round what would your grade be then?? Yes that is a strong possibility.
Grade will be altered accordingly. Probably F+. I think they go O-Line or DB 2nd round.

They have the first and second picks of the third round. These could be money picks and save their draft. Could see them grade as high as D- at this point.

If they take DeAngelo Williams or Lendel White in the 2nd round what would your grade be then??  Yes that is a strong possibility.
Grade will be altered accordingly. Probably F+. I think they go O-Line or DB 2nd round.

They have the first and second picks of the third round. These could be money picks and save their draft. Could see them grade as high as D- at this point.
Do not give Casserly too much credit. I do not see this draft being saved.

Abortion of a draft is about to start. I have to take my son to Tae Kwon Do, followed by some errands, so I'll be back in about 2 1/2 hours to update this thread. Hopefully with the #1 in 2007 draft the Texans can do a bit better.

I know that Bush has been overhyped but can we really say that he isn't the best player in the draft? As a Niner fan I know that it sucks to not take the best player in the draft. I understand talking about maximizing draft value but how is drafting Reggie Bush not going to maximize value, he is the best player.

:lmao: @ this thread...and at people who believe, without a doubt, that they are definitely THAT much smarter than the people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to study film, study players, and do everything they can to make the right pick.

But hey, you saw Bush make a fantastic play. That means OMG HOUSON SUX BD OMG!!!

Do not give Casserly too much credit.
Is Charley Casserly really making these picks? From what I have read he has put his home in Houston up for sale and will be fired by Owner Bob McNair shortly after the draft. Seems strange to have a lame duck GM making vital decisions in the war room. :banned:

Only time will tell whether or not Houston made the wrong decision by not selecting Bush, but they made a huge mistake by not trading down and getting more value for tha number one pick.

And as great as Bush might be, keep in mind that a stud RB is not essential to being a championship-winning team in today's NFL. Recent SB winners featured starters like Michael Pittman, Willie Parker and Antowain Smith. Need I say more?

I know that Bush has been overhyped but can we really say that he isn't the best player in the draft? As a Niner fan I know that it sucks to not take the best player in the draft. I understand talking about maximizing draft value but how is drafting Reggie Bush not going to maximize value, he is the best player.
I agree, however what kind of DE will be available later in the 1st round or early 2nd round? The RB available at that point are still possible NFL starters and may have a strong impact.I am not so sure Houston blew it but I also am not as high on Mario Williams as they are. Taking defensive players at #1 has not panned out well over the past 20 years. All I hear is that he's 6'7" and 300 lbs...there are lots of these type alpha males in the State Prison System...he runs this, benches that, squats x amount...seems like this could be a workout warrior...we'll see if he is that good.

I've officially handed in my Houston Texans #1 fan card. I will no longer spend ONE dime on this organization and renouce my fandom....

:bye: Texans and hope your entire organization stays a loser

I've officially handed in my Houston Texans #1 fan card. I will no longer spend ONE dime on this organization and renouce my fandom....

:lmao: We won't miss you.

:lmao: @ this thread...and at people who believe, without a doubt, that they are definitely THAT much smarter than the people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to study film, study players, and do everything they can to make the right pick.

But hey, you saw Bush make a fantastic play. That means OMG HOUSON SUX BD OMG!!!
Obviously paying people hundreds of thousands of dollars makes them right. The Texans management has a SUPERIOR track record of making good draft picks. Please list all offensive or defensive ProBowl players drafted by the Texans so far. :popcorn: I definitely have not watched as much pro football film as anyone on the Texans staff. I definitely have not watched as much player film of the guys coming out of the draft. However, I would be willing to bet that I have watched more college football and more professional football games than the Texans owner has watched over the past 2-3 years. And the fact he is the one making the picks here does not give me a warm feeling inside.

Obviously paying people hundreds of thousands of dollars makes them right. The Texans management has a SUPERIOR track record of making good draft picks. Please list all offensive or defensive ProBowl players drafted by the Texans so far. :popcorn: I definitely have not watched as much pro football film as anyone on the Texans staff. I definitely have not watched as much player film of the guys coming out of the draft. However, I would be willing to bet that I have watched more college football and more professional football games than the Texans owner has watched over the past 2-3 years. And the fact he is the one making the picks here does not give me a warm feeling inside.
:goodposting: Think it's pretty clear at this point NOBODY in that organization has a freaking clue.

See every draft as example and who they signed as their first HC and GM.

To all the money I was going to spend on the Texans... :bye:

Could we land Winston Justice? that would be nice @ 2.01
OL would have been nice, but I like DeMeco Ryans pick. Dude is a stud. Grade would be an A right now if they drafted Bush/Ryans. I think they are totally avoiding any character issue guys. Justice and Jimmy Williams would have made much more sense here.

The fact that E. Winston was available in the third really helped. The Texans had major needs on the OL and on D. I think they addressed some of those needs without reaching much. I thought they might choose Youboty with the other third round pick, but it's hard to fault them for drafting more OL help.

I wasn't real high on the Texans draft even though they got some really good defensive players. I just thought they should have grabbed offensive linemen, espeicially when Justice was on the board at 2.1. They made it all up grabbing Spencer and Winston in the third.

I give them an A, even though I think they made a mistake passing Bush. They got 4 first round caliber talents.

Winston is an ex TE and has light feet, so he is our future LT. I don't suspect that he will start day one, but I suspect that he starts by year end. Spencer can start at RT from day one imo since its more of a run blocking position, and it's usually the strong side (with a TE), and you don't have to cover the blind side of a QB. No way I see them breaking up Pitts - Flannagan - McKinney inside - They have been working the players here all off season. We were looking for tackle help.

We finally have a pass rusher, and this is the first conventinal linebacker we have ever drafted on the first day in Ryans. I'm pretty stoked about this draft.

See you back on the wagon when they start winning.. Some people should never call themselves fans. I guess thats why the name fair weather was dubbed.

I like what Houston did today. Not flashy, but I think they did a really good job adding "big uglys".

I agree that overall Houston had a good draft. I hoped rounds 2 and 3 would net a tackle, a guard and the best defensive player available at the 3rd round pick. I was steamed when they passed on Justice that late, even with the character issues. But it worked out better the way they did it. I'd rather have Eric Winston and DeMeco Ryans than Winston Justice and the defensive player we'd have gotten in the third. I like the Spencer pick as well though he wasn't someone I had read up on before the draft.

Mario has the potential to be worth the #1 pick, I just think he has a little further to go to reach it than Bush did. But if he does, this draft and the few bits of quality we already had could be a nice place to build a solid team from.

I'm a bit split on what to do with the pick tomorrow. I think Casserly will try to trade it. He has said that the early 4th round picks can be worthwhile since teams have overnight to see who are left and maneuver to take guys they didn't think would slide. I'd be fine with just getting another starter out of the pick though. A safety (Simpson or Bing?) or a corner who could at least win the Nickle job would be nice. I'd even settle for another O-lineman though.

Bush will be a bust IMO. They should have gone OL though.
Not when they knew there would be OL talent in the 3rd. They played this draft perfectly.

Houston Grade B+

Texans did what they had to. Two years from now this team will be very good if they keep making these kind of moves. :thumbup:

And as a Houstonian also, you should know that Kubiak had just as much to do about this draft pick as Casserly did.
Not from what I've read. It was Casserlys call, he just got "spiritual advice" from the staff. And McNair pretty much told him to get WHOEVER signed before the draft. That's how he did Carr. That's how McNair likes to do things. So if Bush started tossing out Alex Smith + 25% numbers as reported, he would have quickly realized there's no way he's signing Bush. He disputes signability came into it, but it's how the owner likes to do things. I've seen reports he told Casserly to get a deal done BEFORE the draft. Then add this to the Bush family house issues, higher cost, greater need on D, he went with Mario.

But Kubiak had nothing to do with this.

Okay, final grades are now in. Texans receive:

[SIZE=21pt]F-[/SIZE]

Mario Williams with the #1 pick in the draft was awful. Think Sam Bowie mistake...but larger. I think Williams will be fine as a player, but Bush will be a special player. I would have rather have seen Ferguson and even Young here, than Mario Williams.

DeMeco Ryans was a fantastic college football player. But, I think he will be undersized at 6' 1/2" in the pros. He is not a super fast kind of guy either. There is a reason he "slid" into the second round. He doesn't rate as a pro-bowl type player. Hopefully he'll be a starter one day.

Charles Spencer/Eric Winston were the first two picks in the third round. Eric Winston was supposed to be a first round talent. So why did he go in the third round? Well, major knee surgery can do that to you. I have a feeling there are major concerns with this still, thus the reason no one else took a chance on him. And Charles Spencer at 6'6" 350 lbs is a very large O-lineman. The problem I have with both of these guys, is Kubiak is a Denver guy, who will undoubtedly try to bring the Denver blocking system in to play here. That is for smaller, quicker O-linemen. Ummm, are the Texans front office and coaching staff communicating here or what? Plus, Youbooty was still available here, and this would have made MUCH more sense.

Owen Daniels is a tight end I don't know much about. And considering how many draft picks and free agent signings the Texans have ABSOLUTELY WASTED on tight ends, it was to be expected for them to waste another here. They just signed Putzier in the offseason, so maybe address a need here? Maybe a DB??? Nah.

Wali Lundy was a very good college running back, and will surely be the next Terrell Davis :rolleyes:

And to end the draft, we did go with a need pick here, since we are so lacking in DB's....we drafted DAvid Anderson WR. :o

Texans came into this draft needing a special game-breaker, O-linemen and Defensive Backs. They came away empty handed. Very disappointing, after an offseason of some very nice free agent acquisitions. I expect a slight improvement from last year....however, I don't see the playoffs anytime soon with this squad. I am absolutely sickened by this draft as well as McNair. Why keep Casserly around for the draft when all he does is absolutely butcher them?

Just wondering - what was the on the front page of the Houston newspaper this morning?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Newspapers are slanted/biased. If you think they would disparage a billionaire NFThey made mention that Williams was the #1 pick. That is all.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't lived in Boston or Washington recently, have you?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a little bit different down here in Texas. You don't go against a good 'ole boy if you expect to be employed here.

Okay, final grades are now in.  Texans receive:

[SIZE=21pt]F-[/SIZE]

Mario Williams with the #1 pick in the draft was awful.  Think Sam Bowie mistake...but larger.  I think Williams will be fine as a player, but Bush will be a special player.  I would have rather have seen Ferguson and even Young here, than Mario Williams.

DeMeco Ryans was a fantastic college football player.  But, I think he will be undersized at 6' 1/2" in the pros.  He is not a super fast kind of guy either.  There is a reason he "slid" into the second round.  He doesn't rate as a pro-bowl type player.  Hopefully he'll be a starter one day.

Charles Spencer/Eric Winston were the first two picks in the third round.  Eric Winston was supposed to be a first round talent.  So why did he go in the third round?  Well, major knee surgery can do that to you.  I have a feeling there are major concerns with this still, thus the reason no one else took a chance on him.  And Charles Spencer at 6'6" 350 lbs is a very large O-lineman.  The problem I have with both of these guys, is Kubiak is a Denver guy, who will undoubtedly try to bring the Denver blocking system in to play here.  That is for smaller, quicker O-linemen.  Ummm, are the Texans front office and coaching staff communicating here or what?  Plus, Youbooty was still available here, and this would have made MUCH more sense.

Owen Daniels is a tight end I don't know much about.  And considering how many draft picks and free agent signings the Texans have ABSOLUTELY WASTED on tight ends, it was to be expected for them to waste another here.  They just signed Putzier in the offseason, so maybe address a need here?  Maybe a DB???  Nah.

Wali Lundy was a very good college running back, and will surely be the next Terrell Davis :rolleyes:

And to end the draft, we did go with a need pick here, since we are so lacking in DB's....we drafted DAvid Anderson WR.  :o

Texans came into this draft needing a special game-breaker, O-linemen and Defensive Backs.  They came away empty handed.  Very disappointing, after an offseason of some very nice free agent acquisitions.  I expect a slight improvement from last year....however, I don't see the playoffs anytime soon with this squad.  I am absolutely sickened by this draft as well as McNair.  Why keep Casserly around for the draft when all he does is absolutely butcher them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think disappointment at not getting Bush is kind of clouding judgement. Yes, that may have been a mistake, but let's look at what we got.A DE who is inarguably a top 4 pick in the draft and likely as high as the 2nd best player. A LB who should probably start right away. A tackle in the 3rd who was a late 1st round prospect... he has some questions from the injury, but how can you not like the upside given where we got him? Also I think the belief that Spencer doesn't fit a Denver blocking scheme because of his size may not be right... all of the scouting reports about him talk about him having tremendously fast feet for a lineman. It sounds like the opposite of your analysis... we not only got a guy who does fit the Denver scheme, but he's got the added advantage of being a big guy who can play with little guy speed. He's a little raw still and will need some development is his only big downside.

The rest of the draft... eh, it's a crap shoot. Be upset about not taking Bush, but I don't see how this draft can be worse than a B, and more likely a B+ or A-, when they get at least 4 starters out of it, and 3 of them 1st round or borderline first round talent.

Williams is a stand up guy, without the 'Prima Dona' Attitude that Bush has. he can start now, and make a difference in an area of need.

I have no problem with that pick.

I think disappointment at not getting Bush is kind of clouding judgement.  Yes, that may have been a mistake, but let's look at what we got.

A DE who is inarguably a top 4 pick in the draft and likely as high as the 2nd best player.  A LB who should probably start right away.  A tackle in the 3rd who was a late 1st round prospect... he has some questions from the injury, but how can you not like the upside given where we got him?  Also I think the belief that Spencer doesn't fit a Denver blocking scheme because of his size may not be right... all of the scouting reports about him talk about him having tremendously fast feet for a lineman. It sounds like the opposite of your analysis... we not only got a guy who does fit the Denver scheme, but he's got the added advantage of being a big guy who can play with little guy speed.  He's a little raw still and will need some development is his only big downside.

The rest of the draft... eh, it's a crap shoot.  Be upset about not taking Bush, but I don't see how this draft can be worse than a B, and more likely a B+ or A-, when they get at least 4 starters out of it, and 3 of them 1st round or borderline first round talent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allow me to retort:All of your points are valid. Mario Williams is a top talent, no doubt...but again, he is not a game breaking type player. The fact remains that if you have the first pick in the draft, and there is a guy there at a skill position, with the kind of talent you see once every 10 years or so, YOU GRAB THAT GUY.

And to give the Texans a grade nearing A is ridiculous. They had 4 picks in the top 64. You damn well better be picking guys that can start.

DeMeco Ryans is a fine player. Fact of the matter is they don't need him. Now that they have drafted Williams, Antoine Peek is going to be a linebacker too. They have an abundance of linebackers. Their most glaring needs are offensive line and defensive backs. If you think a 6'6" 350 lbs guy has "fast feet" you are kidding yourself. If you think 31 other teams passed on a first round talent of Eric Winston because his knees are structurally sound, you are kidding yourself again.

They are going into this season with three corner backs. Robinson, who had an outstanding rookie season and a fair second year. Petey Faggins, who is mediocre at best and Philip Buchanon who is honestly a mediocre #4 cornerback. Their safeties are nothing to right home about either. Oh yeah, they have a team called the Colts in this division who can throw the ball some.

And to give the Texans a grade nearing A is ridiculous.  They had 4 picks in the top 64.  You damn well better be picking guys that can start.
It's not just that they got guys who can start. They got good value overall with their picks. They didn't reach for players and they got players who are likely to outperform their draft position.
DeMeco Ryans is a fine player.  Fact of the matter is they don't need him.  Now that they have drafted Williams, Antoine Peek is going to be a linebacker too.  They have an abundance of linebackers. 
Not according to the Texans. Read today that they said Peek and Babin will stay at DE. I also think LB was a major need, though I would put cornerback equal or even slightly ahead of LB.
Their most glaring needs are offensive line and defensive backs.  If you think a 6'6" 350 lbs guy has "fast feet" you are kidding yourself.  If you think 31 other teams passed on a first round talent of Eric Winston because his knees are structurally sound, you are kidding yourself again.
Like 99.99% of us, I haven't watched tape on these guys any more than the handful of plays we see on draft specials, and those chosen to illustrate some point. But when it comes down to evaluating those kind of specific aspects of a recruit, I'm going to put more stock in the evaluations of guys who do it for a living, but more importantly actually have had a chance to thoroughly study the player. Yes they could be wrong and some times are, but wouldn't you agree that between you, I, and the scouts, they probably have the more informed opinion about his agility?
They are going into this season with three corner backs.  Robinson, who had an outstanding rookie season and a fair second year.  Petey Faggins, who is mediocre at best and Philip Buchanon who is honestly a mediocre #4 cornerback.  Their safeties are nothing to right home about either.  Oh yeah, they have a team called the Colts in this division who can throw the ball some.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I said, I agree that cornerback is a major need. Safety as well though I wouldn't worry about it before corner and LB unless a guy fell that was a great value. But there is no way this team was going to address every need they had in 1 draft. The fact that their picks did address needs with quality players with upside makes it hard for me to fault them if they felt the LBs available there were better than the CBs. I'll also note that every single media source I've seen that grades drafts has the Texans ranging from a B to an A, so seeing the value in their picks is far from a fringe opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread