What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (1 Viewer)

Is the closer role going to be a timeshare or has one been announced between Osuna and Storen?
Hasn't been announced, most people think it will be Storen because he's only good when he starts innings and for one inning at a time, with Osuna more frequently going 4-6 outs (Betances role?)

Marco Estrada to open on DL, Randy Choate released. Joe Biagini (Rule 5 pick from SF) looks like he'll make team, Gibbons says.

------

hoping this means Venditte has made it as the second lefty/sixth righty.

So, who had the rotation (minus Dickey) being lights out and the offense struggling badly?  Feels like a really bad start to the season but a win today (this morning :rolleyes: ) and they're back to .500.   Have to think Tulo and Martin get back close to being league average guys, if not their career norms soon, but not sure Colabello isn't a one year wonder. Goins/Pillar still aren't great hitters, Travis probably retakes the 2B job pretty easily when healthy. Saunders leading off going forward and Pillar back in #8 spot.

Dalton Pompey has a .500 OBP early on in Buffalo. He seems to be a bit forgotten but is the best long term leadoff hitter on this team.

I have to say I've come around to the idea of letting Bautista and Edwin walk, based almost 100% on their ages and the fact that Tulo/Martin/Donaldson are all here long term and getting older. Sounds like EE is gone either way. The sentimental part of me really wants Bautista to come back and I'd give him 30M a season if that's what it takes, but no chance I'd give him the 5 years he's apparently asking for. Bringing both back makes this team very old, pretty quickly. 

Of course with the dual aces of Stroman/Sanchez for the next few years :D  Shapiro likely makes them the focus to build around. Plus they're cheap.

Wonder how long they'll let Dickey flounder and eat up 2 roster spots. All-star break? Floyd, Chavez or Hutch in his spot couldn't be much of a downgrade. 

God he's useless. Trotting out the worst catcher in the league in the hope that the guy he is catching can be average. What a waste.

So he's not available for the postseason from what I gather. Just cut bait? 31 year old AAAA player eating up a roster spot isn't worth much.

Jays leading AL in attendance in the early going. With today's sellout, it's 5/9 games, with the season average up over 40K.

It will be interesting to see if it's translates to payroll at all. Unfortunately it's probably all given back and more by the bath Rogers is taking on their NHL deal.

Shouldn't be long until Shapiro cans Gibby to bring in another former Cleveland guy.
Tough call last night leaving in Estrada to face Navarro, but given how the bullpen has been, I would have done the same. This is a bit out of date now but... 

@james_in_to  Apr 19
In the Blue Jays' 7 losses their peak win expectancy averaged 74.1%. In order: 77.6%, 83.5%, 96.3%, 75.2%, 74.3%, 51.1%, 61.0%

I'm still not really worried, the bats will be fine, the non-Dickey starters look good. The bullpen is a disaster but better that than the starters or bats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call last night leaving in Estrada to face Navarro, but given how the bullpen has been, I would have done the same. This is a bit out of date now but... 

@james_in_to  Apr 19
In the Blue Jays' 7 losses their peak win expectancy averaged 74.1%. In order: 77.6%, 83.5%, 96.3%, 75.2%, 74.3%, 51.1%, 61.0%
Perfectly fine with it. Estrada was rolling and the pen is a dumpster fire right now.

Tulo and Martin are a bit worrisome. You know because they're both on the wrong side of 30, playing positions that don't age well and are owed like 160M over the next 4 seasons and neither is batting anywhere near .200 :oldunsure:  

Still loving the starting pitching though. If the offense comes around, should be a major roll. 2-7 in one run games but it feels like they've been way worse than that. It really feels like they could/should have won almost every game - shutdowns by Sale, etc... aside, they've been one hit away but it's just not coming so far.

Anyway, I still think the Jays and Red Sox make the playoffs from the East, that was my preseason prediction and I haven't seen anything yet to drastically change my mind, it's just been frustrating as hell to watch.

Saunders needs to have his ### stapled to the bench for a few games.  That is 2 major base running errors this week.  He is a professional ball player, and these are fundamentals.

Also, Gibby needs to be questioned as to why Goins didn't bunt in the 7th.

Also, Gibby needs to be questioned as to why Goins didn't bunt in the 7th.
Goins can't bunt. This showed when he was asked to in the 9th after his GIDP in the 7th. Don't know if Goins has a spot on this team when Travis returns. Barney may be the better utility guy.

Northern Voice said:
Goins can't bunt. This showed when he was asked to in the 9th after his GIDP in the 7th. Don't know if Goins has a spot on this team when Travis returns. Barney may be the better utility guy.
Again, its fundamentals.  If you you're a 250 hitter with no power, you better be able to drop a bunt.  His glove will only get him so far

Jay announce Goins and Barney are going to platoon the 2B position for the next while.

Curious to see the suspension fallout from yesterday's brawls. Technically Bautista just made an aggressive slide (that wouldn't normally be suspension worthy) then took a punch without throwing one and was just hugged off by Beltre, but you know he's getting suspended - his admission after the game that he was trying to send a message with his side can't help.

Pillar should probably get more since he was clearly looking to get anyone he could, Donaldson could get a couple games as well. Chavez will get a couple games for hitting Fielder, but who cares. Gibbons will get a few for coming back on the field after being ejected (he did this twice last year as well :lmao: :lmao: ), and whoever was acting manager when Chavez hit fielder will get an automatic suspension likely as well.

Interesting Stats because I'm bored:

Blue Jays WAR Leaders (Hitters)

Donaldson 1.5

Pillar 1.4 - comes in 3rd in MLB defensively behind Adam Eaton and Brandon Crawford

Saunders 1.0

Smoak 0.7

Bautista/Tulo 0.6

(Martin) -0.6

(Goins) -0.7 - I guess we don't have to worry about a controversy when Travis returns.

Saunders has a .438 BABIP, which leads MLB among qualified players but still trails Smoak at .455 (not enough AB's to qualify yet). Didn't stop me from adding Smoak in a fantasy league today though.

Take out Dickey and the starters ERA's and FIP's go in reverse order, I don't really think this means anything, Estrada is a known FIP beater, Stroman has maybe had some bad luck - interesting that he still leads in FIP with his pitch to contact style vs. going for more K's.

ERA

Happ 2.05

Estrada 2.89

Sanchez 3.29

Stroman 3.54

FIP

Stroman 3.40

Sanchez 3.61

Estrada 3.62

Happ 3.90

Bullpen ERA  - either great or dumpster fires:

Osuna 1.69

Floyd 2.00

Biagini 0.79

Chavez 2.70 (but he's been much worse than this)

Cecil 5.23

Tepera 7.36

Venditte 11.57

Storen 8.25 (he's somehow also been worse than this)

I hate to say it and I don't know how you can blame him for a bad bullpen and an offense that has the team 0-19 when the opponent scores 4 or more, but probably time to start the Gibby watch. I'd say they need to win at least 4 of 7 vs. Minny/Yankees.

Northern Voice said:
I hate to say it and I don't know how you can blame him for a bad bullpen and an offense that has the team 0-19 when the opponent scores 4 or more, but probably time to start the Gibby watch. I'd say they need to win at least 4 of 7 vs. Minny/Yankees.
The clocks been ticking since Shapiro was hired. I'd guess we see a "Cleveland Guy" taking over within the next week or so if there isn't a dramatic turnaround. 

Users who are viewing this thread