What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Julius Thomas Hype Train*** (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

The Florida Times Union calls Julius Thomas "the best player on the team, period."

The take comes from beat man Ryan O'Halloran's early training camp observations. A highly athletic former college basketball player, Thomas is a lock to be heavily involved in the pass game after landing a $46 million contract from the Jags in free agency. Just don't expect him to come close to the 24 touchdowns he scored in his last 27 regular season games with Peyton Manning.

Source: Florida Times Union
Aug 4 - 1:02 PM

Wondering how this hand injury will affect him. His lack of durability in the past worried me more in this year's FF drafts than no longer playing with Peyton.

Rotoworld:

Julius Thomas suffered a fracture in his hand in the Jaguars' preseason opener Friday night.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jags "hope" that Thomas' injury will "affect him minimally." In other words, it sounds like the initial plan is for Orange Julius to play through the injury rather than have surgery. The star-crossed Jaguars gave Thomas a five-year, $46 million contract in free agency.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 14 - 9:51 PM
Julius Thomas will go for more tests on his fractured hand on Saturday.

The initial plan for Thomas is to have him put wrapping of some sort on the hand, and for him to play through the injury. That could change pending the results of Saturday's test, but doesn't appear to be in the cards for now. The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran reports the Jaguars are "optimistic" about Thomas being ready for Week 1.

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Aug 14 - 11:31 PM

Depending on the severity, he might scare some people off, fearing he might miss some early action. Paired with a relatively inexpensive Ladarius for early in the season, it could be a good TE platoon.

Wondering how this hand injury will affect him. His lack of durability in the past worried me more in this year's FF drafts than no longer playing with Peyton.
This is why I avoided him in all my drafts. His reputation for not playing through injuries, coupled with the change to JAX moved him to my DND list (near his ADP, which is surprisingly high).

This guy had a rep in Denver for not playing through pain. True, he was in a contract year last year, but now that he's gotten paid, I'll be stunned if he changes his ways. This guy has been on my DO NOT DRAFT list for months already anyway.

This guy had a rep in Denver for not playing through pain. True, he was in a contract year last year, but now that he's gotten paid, I'll be stunned if he changes his ways. This guy has been on my DO NOT DRAFT list for months already anyway.
Fantastic posting. Totally agree

Rotoworld:

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said "everything points to" Julius Thomas (hand) playing Week 1.

The Jags have always been confident Thomas will be ready Week 1, but it is good to hear he has not suffered any setbacks. SS Johnathan Cyprien (hand) is also expected back by the opener.

Related: Johnathan Cyprien

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Aug 29 - 12:20 PM

Anyone still holding him at this point?
Not an owner, but he was added off the ww earlier this morning in my biggest $ league.

Ppr. 12-team. 1-2-2-1-1-1-1

If the news remains positive, I'd consider adding him as a bye week filler for gronk. Slim pickins out there.

-biz-

Anyone still holding him at this point?
Not an owner, but he was added off the ww earlier this morning in my biggest $ league.

Ppr. 12-team. 1-2-2-1-1-1-1

If the news remains positive, I'd consider adding him as a bye week filler for gronk. Slim pickins out there.

-biz-
Well they just said today he still hasn't been cleared. Just been getting in limited practices the last couple weeks.

In the league I have him in, I've had terrible injury luck. Thomas is out, Gates is suspended and whatever TE I've been using for the first 3 weeks always seems to get hurt.

It's getting harder to stash him on the bench when my whole bench is full of injured guys.

He's really going to open this offense up I think. I'm watching JAX closely cause they might be on the verge of being pretty damn good.

Rotoworld:

Julius Thomas - TE - Jaguars

Julius Thomas (hand) is practicing in full for Week 6.

Thomas didn't start, but played 32-of-61 snaps in his debut. He'll have a bigger role in base sets against the Texans. Thomas saw only two targets last week, but is a borderline TE1 for Week 6.

Oct 14 - 4:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Julius Thomas (probable, hand) could have a "significant" role this week.

Thomas was limited to 32 snaps in his debut last week. He's not expected to have an every-down role, but should be more of a factor in the red-zone. Thomas is Rotoworld’s No. 13 tight end for Week 6.

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 17 - 6:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Julius Thomas is dealing with a "mild" groin injury.
The injury helps to explain why Thomas was on the field for just 37 snaps against the Bills on Sunday. With the bye week to heal, the injury should not force Thomas to miss any game time. He will be a low-end TE1 Week 9 against the Jets.

Source: Hays Carlyon on Twitter
Oct 27 - 1:13 PM

I was suspicious that Thomas success in Denver was more about what was around him than it was him. Now, his great athleticism and size allowed him to take advantage of the opportunities provided by that but I didn't buy that he would remain a top TE somewhere else. D's simply had too much to handle and it was hard to have someone capable of covering someone of his size and speed one on one. And then you have one of the best QB's of being able to place his guys into place to make plays throwing him the ball.

His year in Jax did nothing to make me change my mind. I think his injuries helped further implode his fantasy scoring but I am not expecting a huge increase in production in a healthy Thomas. I am still not buying.

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said Julius Thomas has had "really good OTAs."
"It’s not only the things that we’re seeing on the field, it’s off the field – the extra meeting time that he and Blake [Bortles] are spending," said Bradley. "He really wants to have this offense down." Thomas worked hard to build chemistry with his quarterback this offseason and the extra reps seem to have paid off. "He never drops a ball," said Bortles. Thomas leads all NFL tight ends in touchdowns over the last three seasons. He could be a bargain at his current eighth-round ADP.

Source: Florida Times Union 
Jun 6 - 4:08 PM

Hays Carlyon of the Florida Times Union expects Julius Thomas to score double-digit touchdowns this season.
Per Carlyon, Thomas was "nearly unstoppable" at OTAs. Thomas got off to a slow start last year after missing the first month with a broken hand but finished the season strong by nabbing touchdowns in four of his last seven games. Thomas will have no trouble returning TE1 value as long as he stays healthy.

Source: Florida Times Union 
Jun 26 - 8:53 AM

His year in Jax did nothing to make me change my mind. I think his injuries helped further implode his fantasy scoring but I am not expecting a huge increase in production in a healthy Thomas. I am still not buying.
With Robinson and Hurns, I feel like Thomas is their 3rd option in the passing offense. Could he be a redzone threat? Sure. And maybe he's a TE you look towards at the end of the TE1 spectrum, but it's hard for me to really see him being on the top end of the TE1 side. Could see him somewhere in the TE7-10 if he stays healthy.

With Robinson and Hurns, I feel like Thomas is their 3rd option in the passing offense. Could he be a redzone threat? Sure. And maybe he's a TE you look towards at the end of the TE1 spectrum, but it's hard for me to really see him being on the top end of the TE1 side. Could see him somewhere in the TE7-10 if he stays healthy.
I beg to differ. I think Robinson might the first option, but after that I think Julius will see plenty of targets to show his worth. And when he's starting to turn heads and making plays there's no way he will option #3. Even Gronk is the second option for Patriots, Julian Edelman being #1, so I don't think it matters at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy never stays healthy, arguing where he falls in the target hierarchy is a moot pount
Agree, maybe he looks good in shorts, he's showed a consistent lack of heart when it counts, since he's gotten paid, I'll gladly let him go off on someone else's roster.

Not drafting him, certainly not where he's being drafted now.

Worries me a bit since his fantasy success has been pretty dependent on TDs but he has competition with one of the better GL RBs and GL WRs. 

I've had JT over the past two years. I just cut him for Hunter Henry. 

I'm sharing to let everyone know that it feels so good to have him off my roster.  Dude screws me every time I've relied on him. 

Wow, ballsy. I can't see how Henry outproduces Thomas this year. 
Full story is that delanie walker is my number one, JT was number two. With Walker and JT basically game timers this week, I was stressing on what to do. Then i had the clarity to just pull the trigger and rid myself of JT. Feels good man. 

Users who are viewing this thread