What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Knowshon Moreno Injury thread (1 Viewer)

"The Denver Post reports Knowshon Moreno is dealing with a "significant bone bruise" in his lower right leg.

Beat writer Mike Klis calls Moreno "questionable at best" to face Kansas City in Week 13. Although the injury is considered "not serious" by NFL standards -- he isn't going to miss the rest of the season, obviously -- it appears to be a week-to-week ordeal Moreno may not be able to play through. Should Moreno miss one game, the Broncos would likely turn to Montee Ball as their lead back with C.J. Anderson and Ronnie Hillman rotating in behind him. Coach Jack Del Rio did leave the door open Monday for Moreno to resume practicing by week's end. Time will tell whether that's mere coachspeak."

This is a good one for Dr. Bramel.

I know we all get relieved to hear "bruise", but the extent and place of the bruise is important. My nephew was a high school QB who suffered a high ankle/lower leg bone bruise and could barely walk for three weeks. It took 6 months before it was fully healed.

Bruises can lead to breaks, I would think they play it safe and sit or limit him big time this week...

Boots obviously can be precautionary, and to an extent they can give him some pain killers, though you obviously can't numb an ankle and still play.

We'll see how it progresses...

Okay I know the majority of you in here are Moreno hopeful owners. But did you guys all suddenly forget why they let Ball or Anderson get more carries the last few weeks? It was to get Moreno ready for the playoffs. And they just shot themselves in the foot by running him 37 times resulting in a "significant bone bruise" with him walking on crutches and a walking boot. They are either going to keep him out or if they let him play it's going to be a committee. Sorry to bring the mail. But I'm willing to bet that they stick to their word even more about resting Moreno for the playoff push.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I know the majority of you in here are Moreno hopeful owners. But did you guys all suddenly forget why they let Ball or Anderson get more carries the last few weeks? It was to get Moreno ready for the playoffs. And they just shot themselves in the foot by running him 37 times resulting in a "significant bone bruise" with him walking on crutches and a walking boot. They are either going to keep him out or if they let him play it's going to be a committee. Sorry to bring the mail. But I'm willing to bet that they stick to their word even more about resting Moreno for the playoff push.
The problem is that Sunday's game against the Chiefs is almost important as a playoff game. The difference between the #1 and the #5 seed is huge.

If the Broncos were running away with the division and could coast I would agree. But, they are still very much in a fight for playoff seeding and homefield advantage. Moreno played great on Sunday Night and if he is healthy he will play. He may get one week rest....but I think you are off base if you believe the Broncos are cooking up a strategy to rest Moreno until the NFL playoffs start....they are at their best when he is in the game, and he also is a protector of Manning which is also important to them....

If the Broncos were running away with the division and could coast I would agree. But, they are still very much in a fight for playoff seeding and homefield advantage. Moreno played great on Sunday Night and if he is healthy he will play. He may get one week rest....but I think you are off base if you believe the Broncos are cooking up a strategy to rest Moreno until the NFL playoffs start....they are at their best when he is in the game, and he also is a protector of Manning which is also important to them....
This could play out a lot of different ways. But it has to be remembered that the Broncos are playing for a division title, a bye, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. At this point they probably won't be coasting to any of those three, the second two even less so. They will need Moreno. If anything Monday's game shows you that they will use Moreno in key situations because they can't trust any other RB on the team.

This could play out a lot of different ways. But it has to be remembered that the Broncos are playing for a division title, a bye, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. At this point they probably won't be coasting to any of those three, the second two even less so. They will need Moreno. If anything Monday's game shows you that they will use Moreno in key situations because they can't trust any other RB on the team.
You hit the nail on the head right there, my friend.

So if moreno is out this week is ball a must start?
Not sure...one little mishandle and he could be on the bench again.

I like him as a sneaky play to get looks at the goal line though.

I may have to play him with Ben Tate sucking so bad.

I know we all get relieved to hear "bruise", but the extent and place of the bruise is important. My nephew was a high school QB who suffered a high ankle/lower leg bone bruise and could barely walk for three weeks. It took 6 months before it was fully healed.
I had a bone bruise (lower leg) this past summer and swore up and down that it was broken due to the amount of pain and swelling involved (until X-rays proved otherwise). Good as new now, but I was hobbled for 2-3 weeks following the injury... no way I was running anywhere.

Having said that, all injuries are cases unto themselves and I have no way of knowing exactly how much pain Moreno is in (or how much he can tolerate), just commenting to a comment.

I had a bone bruise (lower leg) this past summer and swore up and down that it was broken due to the amount of pain and swelling involved (until X-rays proved otherwise). Good as new now, but I was hobbled for 2-3 weeks following the injury... no way I was running anywhere.

Having said that, all injuries are cases unto themselves and I have no way of knowing exactly how much pain Moreno is in (or how much he can tolerate), just commenting to a comment.
Umm...no offense...thanks for the info but you also are not a world class, professional athlete.. the .1% of all people....to compare your own injury to someone like this is ridiculous.....plus these players have access to multiple therapies that you and I dont have... including alternative therapies, narcotics, world class trainers, and just regular dope......

I have Moreno but I'm in a position where it doesn't really matter to me if he plays or sits.

If it means getting him healthy I'd prefer he sits

But If they think he is healthy enough to play than I think he will play his normal amount of snaps until the outcome of the game is clear.

The Broncos are still fighting for home field advantage and a bye ... they still need to win.

Umm...no offense...thanks for the info but you also are not a world class, professional athlete.. the .1% of all people....to compare your own injury to someone like this is ridiculous.....plus these players have access to multiple therapies that you and I dont have... including alternative therapies, narcotics, world class trainers, and just regular dope......
Actually comments like these are pretty ridiculous. You have to luv these people that think professional athletes are some kind of super humans with supernatural healing powers. Believe it or not ... If you cut them they bleed and they heal the same way too. Also if you have the money and/or know the right people you to could have access to these mysterious therapies and healers that you speak of.

That's why I said what I... ugh, never mind.

No offense taken. I view comments like yours as akin to stepping in dog ****... sure it sucks, but what's one to do? Dog **** (like your comments) is everywhere so law of averages says that I'm bound to step in from time to time. Just scrape it off and move on.

Thank you for your concern though.

Wasn't concerned....just telling you how dumb your comment was by comparing your injury with a professional athlete.....makes zero difference what your injury was or anything about your healing time.

True. Some player had a bone bruise a while back this year and it was quite bad. Maybe it's been said here (?) but it depends on where the bruise is and the severity (probably gets a grade the public is not told). I think just looking at Moreno and his condition at the end of that game tells us everything we need to know, it's bad, it's deep, it may have been there during the game and it may have been exacerbated with Del Rio constantly feeding him. He looked wrecked.

True. Some player had a bone bruise a while back this year and it was quite bad. Maybe it's been said here (?) but it depends on where the bruise is and the severity (probably gets a grade the public is not told). I think just looking at Moreno and his condition at the end of that game tells us everything we need to know, it's bad, it's deep, it may have been there during the game and it may have been exacerbated with Del Rio constantly feeding him. He looked wrecked.
I believe swelling is the main issue to deal with. The bone is more/less broken on the"inside" (at least that's how it was explained to me) and the swelling/instability is a result. Easy injury to re-aggravate depending on the severity.

Disclaimer: I have normal human bones... not to be confused with the semi-bionic variety of world class athletes. ;)

Reading comprehension is a skill.

You really don't think most professional athletes heal quicker than the weekend warrior? It's not about their bones, Corky. It's about what they have access to that you and I don't and the money they can spend on alternative therapies if needed. Whether that's spinning blood or hyperbaric chambers....

But at least we know you were hobbled with the same injury. That's helpful.

Okay I know the majority of you in here are Moreno hopeful owners. But did you guys all suddenly forget why they let Ball or Anderson get more carries the last few weeks?
Weird question to ask considering Moreno is coming off consecutive season highs in terms of carries (27 vs. KC, 37 vs. NE).

It will likely be much more a committee until the NFL playoffs begin, but that's probably due at least in part to his injury and the schedule easing up after this weekend.

I don't think Moreno will play this weekend and I have no problem starting Ball instead. I don't think he puts up the same production as Moreno, but I think he will be startable.

You really don't think most professional athletes heal quicker than the weekend warrior? It's not about their bones, Corky. It's about what they have access to that you and I don't and the money they can spend on alternative therapies if needed. Whether that's spinning blood or hyperbaric chambers....

Stay classy.

Next time they should put the #### under the horse.

Please stop being a tool.

How does Anderson fit in if Moreno is out?
Very likely to be behind Ball in the pecking order. I'd imagine Denver would reactivate Hillman, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if he resumed his usual CoP role, which would leave Anderson 3rd in line for carries. Unless the coaching staff says otherwise, it seems to me like Anderson remains purely a desperation play in redraft.

Very likely to be behind Ball in the pecking order. I'd imagine Denver would reactivate Hillman, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if he resumed his usual CoP role, which would leave Anderson 3rd in line for carries. Unless the coaching staff says otherwise, it seems to me like Anderson remains purely a desperation play in redraft.
And then Hillman breaks off a nice run and everyone here goes nuts saying he should be starting over Ball right?

if I'm the Broncos, and despite Jim Saccamono being an epic ##### I do feel the pain of losses despite not being a season ticket holder, I rest Moreno 2 weeks. He isn't/shouldn't be playing this week, and the rest of the schedule they should be able to win out with him sitting on the bench.

You really don't think most professional athletes heal quicker than the weekend warrior?
Count me as one that doesn't believe in the Wolverine-like healing powers of a regular workout regimen. The wealthy athlete is no longer affected by bruises because they can afford a cold compress and a trainer to advise elevating the affected area? Honestly, with the financial resources available to the average footballguy even if there were a magical cure we'd be the first to hear about it anyway.

You really don't think most professional athletes heal quicker than the weekend warrior?
Count me as one that doesn't believe in the Wolverine-like healing powers of a regular workout regimen. The wealthy athlete is no longer affected by bruises because they can afford a cold compress and a trainer to advise elevating the affected area? Honestly, with the financial resources available to the average footballguy even if there were a magical cure we'd be the first to hear about it anyway.
Constant attention and rehab methods are something the average person doesn't have time for so yeah the pro athlete probably gets up to speed faster with sprains and those sorts of things. Bruises are probably just pain management though.

The term "bruise" makes it sound like something you can play through but I found this article explaining the injury. This isn't all about pain tolerance there is risk that playing through the injury could cause stress fractures. I think the Broncos are playing coy but he isn't going to play this week and this could limit him the rest of the regular season.

I would guess he is not going to practice at all this week but will be questionable and called a Game Time Decision just to keep the Chiefs guessing. Even if he does suit up I doubt he plays much. If the Broncos rush him back from this injury there is a great risk he will re-injure it and make it worse.

James Starks missed a month last year with a bone bruise in his knee. In terms of recovery time for athletes it probably would be similiar to high ankle sprain but with more potential to lead to a more serious injury (ie. bone break). Bone bruises can vary in their seriousness but the fact Knowshon's has been described as "significant" means his is probably on the more severe side.

http://www.tsaog.com/connect-learn-interact/blog/blog/2013/03/06/dr.-marvin-brown-on-why-bone-bruise-is-a-misnomer

"The term bone bruise is a misnomer and makes the injury seem less serious than it is. A so-called bone bruise is actually a fracturing of the inner layer of bone."

Q. What is the normal treatment for a bone bruise?

A. I usually recommend bracing or other immobilization of the area to allow it time to heal and to protect it from additional injury that can be caused by bearing weight on the injured area. Activities also need to be restricted during this healing period, particularly sports play, which can result in additional acute trauma, causing greater injury and/or prolonging the healing time.

Q How long do you normally expect recovery to take?

A. Recovery can take several months because the inner layer of bone takes longer to heal than the outer bone.

I think Moreno isn't going to play and a RBBC gets trotted out and they go with the hot hand. Ball fumbles along with Hillman, so they are both a danger to get pulled at any time. If I were to roll the dice, it would be with CJ Anderson, but then again I wouldn't expect much.

"Knowshon Moreno (ankle) "seemed to have a light workload" in his return to a limited practice Thursday.

The fact Moreno got in any reps at all is a good sign, but he's clearly not out of the woods. The injury is being called a bone bruise on Moreno's right ankle. Per beat writer Mike Klis, Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman "are expected to be ready" in case Moreno can't play or is limited Sunday at Kansas City. Klis made no mention of preseason star C.J. Anderson."

Users who are viewing this thread