What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Malcolm Mitchell Thread (3 Viewers)

Seriously yes.  Inman is a player whose value is contingent upon Tyrell's health. Yes he just had one good week but Mitchell has had two. (Yes I have Inman but won't play him unless we know that Tyrell is limited or out.)   Rawls as all Seattle RB's this year have been underperformers because of the o-line. Landry has been demoted simply because of the emergence of Ajayi.  Mitchell has potential to be a season winner for fantasy players especially with Bennett hobbled. I'm expecting 7 catches-80 yards and a score this week. Not bad for a flex.
Inman has had far more than one good week, Cletus.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Non-PPR would any of you cut  Jordan Matthews or Jarvis Landry for Mitchell? I could use a playmaker next week for start of my playoffs. These guys have been a bit "meh" yet you know what you'll get.

Also juggling the Tyrell - Inman - Mitchell conundrum. Mitchell really seems like an appealing starting option. But I'm hoping to get some good vibes on Tyrell's condition today, as I'd feel much safer rolling with him. If he is still very limited, Inman feels like the safe play while Mitchell is the sexy one. Because it's week 13 I'll probably have to go the safe route.

dumped Gabriel for him. wish I had jumped on this train before thursday (would have benched Diggs). I'd have started him at flex. considering starting over DT but I think the volume will be there for DT.

this guy looks special going forward. intriguing 

I'm definitely intrigued by MM's potential going forward, but I'm not going to start him this week. There's just too much uncertainty for me, too many options in NE's offense. Need to wait another week to see how Belichick fully adjusts to Gronk's absence. Mitchell looks like a dynamic player who may have earned Brady's trust - hopefully his role will become more clearly defined.

I'm definitely intrigued by MM's potential going forward, but I'm not going to start him this week. There's just too much uncertainty for me, too many options in NE's offense. Need to wait another week to see how Belichick fully adjusts to Gronk's absence. Mitchell looks like a dynamic player who may have earned Brady's trust - hopefully his role will become more clearly defined.
There's been uncertainty in every Belichick coached game ever played.

Mitchell had a TD in Week 11 and 2 last week.

I'm not sure what more we're going to know by waiting another week.

I have Gabriel in over Mitchell. Convince me to switch it. You have two minutes.  
I just saw everyone is active for Pats but Mitchell has been getting Overtime work with Brady and the learning to beat press coverage. Think they have plans for him. KC is not going to allow Atlanta to score 30 today. Gabriel will not produce at same level per touch IMO...but maybe both are decent plays. I have Tate and Moncrief ahead of Gabriel and Mitchell...trying to find a WR3...ur turn

Looks like I should have went with gut and cut Jordan Matthews for this guy. In a league full of Pats fans no shot I get him 

Played 79% of snaps this week and Danny "They Call Me Mr. Glass" Amendola likely out rest of regular season with a high ankle sprain. Fire him up!

I have this guy on the end of a few rosters this year.

The last 3 weeks he has been significantly more involved

Week 11 66 snaps 86% 5 targets 4 receptions 98 yards 1 TD
Week 12 34 snaps 47% 7 targets 5 receptions 42 yards 2 TD
Week 13 67 snaps 85% 10 targets 8 receptions 82 yards

In week 12 (his lowest number of snaps out of these 3 games) he played on less than 50% of the snaps. It looks like they used more RBs in this game against the Jets and less 3+ WR formations.

Week 12 skill player snaps

C Hogan WR 67 92%
J Edelman WR 66 90%
M Bennett TE 58 79%
M Mitchell WR 34 47%
L Blount RB 27 37%
J White RB 26 36% 
J Develin FB 25 34% 
D Lewis RB 23 32%
D Amendola WR 17 23%

As you see 4 RB/FB had 30% or more of the offensive snaps in this game, which is a bit higher than usual but not much. Dion Lewis had fewer than 30% of the snaps in week 11 and week 13

Played 79% of snaps this week and Danny "They Call Me Mr. Glass" Amendola likely out rest of regular season with a high ankle sprain. Fire him up!
I don't think Amendola being out will impact Mitchell all that much. Amendola wasn't playing many snaps, was in only on 3 or 4 WR sets, and the last time he had more than 30 yards receiving was in Week 2.

I don't think Amendola being out will impact Mitchell all that much. Amendola wasn't playing many snaps, was in only on 3 or 4 WR sets, and the last time he had more than 30 yards receiving was in Week 2.
Yup. I see Mitchell maintaining his role as #2 in the WR pecking order behind Edelman. What strikes me about him is just how strongly he catches the ball with his hands. He just goes and get it and it doesn't budge an inch. And just very fluid and natural on some of those quick outs. Only took about a dozen years or so after taking Branch but BB was finally able to draft another WR. :D

Yup. I see Mitchell maintaining his role as #2 in the WR pecking order behind Edelman. What strikes me about him is just how strongly he catches the ball with his hands. He just goes and get it and it doesn't budge an inch. And just very fluid and natural on some of those quick outs. Only took about a dozen years or so after taking Branch but BB was finally able to draft another WR. :D
I think Mitchell is turning into what we were all hoping many of those WRs of recent past would turn into. He passes the eye test so far. 
His dynasty value is incredible, and I agree with whatever someone said earlier in this thread that he's a playoff difference maker this season

As Mitchell plays the X WR position, I see him getting more playing time because of Gronk being out as the most direct correlation.

anyone starting this guy this week? over who? I have ODB, DT and Diggs. seriously considering benching DT or Diggs but I'm not sure I can bring myself to.

DT has been getting me 10-15 points all season except for the occasional big game. 

Diggs has had some big stinkers

Mitchell just seems like a lock for 10 targets... I can depend on Brady more I think...

anyone starting this guy this week? over who? I have ODB, DT and Diggs. seriously considering benching DT or Diggs but I'm not sure I can bring myself to.

DT has been getting me 10-15 points all season except for the occasional big game. 

Mitchell just seems like a lock for 10 targets... I can depend on Brady more I think...
:hey: I think so anyway.  Over sanders, wallace and Gabriel

I think Mitchell is turning into what we were all hoping many of those WRs of recent past would turn into. He passes the eye test so far. 
His dynasty value is incredible, and I agree with whatever someone said earlier in this thread that he's a playoff difference maker this season
I see a big bump in the road next week @DENVER.

I picked him up as more of a defensive block this week vs. my opponent, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing how he'd get in my lineup next week.

if Siemian is out again I'm probably benching DT for sure. kind of hoping for that. 

also like I said considering benching Diggs. he's had some good targets lately but the Jags passing D is quite stout actually. hate this... I always play my starters regardless of matchup but Mitchell seems like one of those players you have to play. 

I see a big bump in the road next week @DENVER.

I picked him up as more of a defensive block this week vs. my opponent, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing how he'd get in my lineup next week.
depends who you are benching him for. if you're benching him for wrs who get over 10 targets a game then I can see your reasoning. I am having the opposite problem as you... trying to rationalize him not in my lineup. no gronk no Amendola... the guy is averaging 10+ targets a game over the last 3 weeks. he's got huge hands, runs crisp routes, and seems to have bradys trust. it's almost as if I'm trying to rationalize benching gronk... he's picked up gronk looks in the offense. 

yes, next week vs Denver is a larger question but I'm more worried about this week currently. if I lose next week won't matter

depends who you are benching him for. if you're benching him for wrs who get over 10 targets a game then I can see your reasoning. I am having the opposite problem as you... trying to rationalize him not in my lineup. no gronk no Amendola... the guy is averaging 10+ targets a game over the last 3 weeks. he's got huge hands, runs crisp routes, and seems to have bradys trust. it's almost as if I'm trying to rationalize benching gronk... he's picked up gronk looks in the offense. 

yes, next week vs Denver is a larger question but I'm more worried about this week currently. if I lose next week won't matter
I'm tempted to start him over Crabtree (vs Marcus Peters) and Moncrief (vs Houston). I think all projections are saying not to, but in a PPR you have to expect at least 10 points, you would hope. Chris Hogan hasn't been that big of a part of the offense. Martellus Bennett has not been able to fill in for Gronk like he did early in the year. It's White/Dion and Edelman/Mitchell I think. There's a lot of risk with this start and I'm nervous about it. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/67331/64/waiver-wire-malcolms-rise

Still not sure if I am playing him.  I have TY locked in and a smattering of "studs" that are mostly duds this year. (Arob, Hopkins, Landry, Watkins)  Any of these guys can blow up but likely will not.  If I can convince myself he will get double digit targets this week then I'll get him in.  As you said, Brady will make those targets count.

I only have him in 1 league -- a PPR where we can start up to 5 WR (3 WRs and 2 FL).  I think he's going to end up locked in my lineup as either a WR3 or flex... the targets are hard to ignore, and while Baltimore is a tough defense, they're toughest against the run.  With no Gronk, Mitchell sees double digit targets, and now they've lost Amendola as well.  Have to think you're looking at a solid floor given the looks he'll get from the best QB in the league.

As for next week... I'll worry about that when I get there.

I would start him over Diggs in a heartbeat.  I am debating about starting him over Frank Gore (vs Houston) at flex.  I don't like Blount's this week because the Ravens are good against the run or else he would be an option as well. 

An interesting point of view from Brad Evans with Yahoo. I'm not a big fan of their sports guys but his point about Baltimore's defense was interesting:

Malcolm Mitchell, NE, WR (13 percent started, $18)
Matchup: vs. Bal
When Mitchell dislocated his elbow Week 1 of the Preseason, the buzz surrounding him at the time quickly ceased. The grotesque injury only widened the learning curve for the rookie. Most immediately dismissed any thoughts of rostering the receiver, even in the deepest of leagues. However, 17 weeks and one broken Rob Gronkowski later and Mitchell has fantasy owners in a frenzy. On a Patriots team still flush with weapons, the youngster is standing out. Tom Brady, hardly a monogamous quarterback, does spread the love, but his affections for No. 19 are clearly growing. Julian Edelman is the locker room leader in targets share (26.9 percent), but Mitchell is rapidly gaining ground. Lined up in the crosshairs 22 times over the past three weeks, the 14th-most by a WR over that span, he’s hauled in 17 receptions, 222 yards and three touchdowns. Subsequently, his 0.56 fantasy points per opportunity in those contests ranks No. 9 among wideouts. Because of his Mickey-sized mitts and smooth routes, he’ll continue to be the apple of Brady’s eye in red-zone situations, cementing his high-end WR3 status in 12-team formats. This week matched against Baltimore, he’ll raise that bar. Jimmy Smith has draped his assignments snuggly this season, but his backfield compadre, Tavon Young … well … hasn’t. The DB has conceded a 92.3 passer rating. Stated endlessly, winning fantasy titles boils down to 1) Opportunity and 2) Matchup. With noteworthy names like Allen Robinson (vs. Min), DeVante Parker (vs. Ari) and T.Y. Hilton (vs. Hou) faced with daunting opponents, Mitchell is the ideal remedy for Nervous Nellies. I’m also talking to you, Julio Jones (turf toe) owners.

Still not sure if I am playing him.  I have TY locked in and a smattering of "studs" that are mostly duds this year. (Arob, Hopkins, Landry, Watkins)  Any of these guys can blow up but likely will not.  If I can convince myself he will get double digit targets this week then I'll get him in.  As you said, Brady will make those targets count.
Why??? 

He put up 129 against them earlier, and it's Crabtree that will be facing Marcus Peters. I have Cooper and Crabtree, and benching Crabtree for Mitchell.

An interesting point of view from Brad Evans with Yahoo. I'm not a big fan of their sports guys but his point about Baltimore's defense was interesting:
So he's alluding to Mitchell lining up on Young, but is that necessarily the case? I don't pay $40 or whatever it is to get PFF's matchup chart, but I'm curious where Mitchell usually lines up compared to Young.

Agree this week Mitchell is a good start. Could be a sneaky shootout (although I'm in the Boston area...look out for a storm...could clear in the morning).

I'm concerned about D. Moncrief and TD regression. Mitchell could be my replacement in the WR3 slot.

I think I am over Lamar Miller at flex. Evans and Demarious at wr. Haven't decided yet

Good information to see what people are thinking this week. Waiting for someone to say, "Yeah I'm starting him over DT/Diggs this week for sure!" Seems like a lot of people have a "no brainer" decision over lesser WRs who either haven't been performing, are hurt, or are in matchup hell. 

For now he's on my bench depending on if Paxton Lynch starts for Denver and/or if I feel like he will out perform Diggs. I am strongly considering benching Diggs. 

Mitchell isn't getting a whole lot of love on external site WR rankings this week (seen high 20s to high 30s). Maybe that's about right. He could be a pretty good WR2/3. Tough because Diggs is ranked right around where Mitchell is... 

So he's alluding to Mitchell lining up on Young, but is that necessarily the case? I don't pay $40 or whatever it is to get PFF's matchup chart, but I'm curious where Mitchell usually lines up compared to Young.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is he assuming Smith would cover Edelman? It seems relatively rare that CB1s follow WRs into the slot.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is he assuming Smith would cover Edelman? It seems relatively rare that CB1s follow WRs into the slot.
Edelman is Brady's top weapon, take him away and the rest have been somewhat ordinary with Gronk out.  It's dump it to White/Lewis for small gains (essentially running plays) or look at Hogan/Mitchell.  Hogan is another OK threat, but Mitchell is showing a connection with Brady despite being new to the offense.

Edelman is Brady's top weapon, take him away and the rest have been somewhat ordinary with Gronk out.  It's dump it to White/Lewis for small gains (essentially running plays) or look at Hogan/Mitchell.  Hogan is another OK threat, but Mitchell is showing a connection with Brady despite being new to the offense.
But will Jimmy Smith follow Edelman all over the field is the question.

But will Jimmy Smith follow Edelman all over the field is the question.
Ravens almost never do that. Smith plays the right side - sometimes they switch it up in the playoffs for a true #1, but rarely. So stupid - because you know NE will then put whoever they want in the slot to get the best match-up and leave Smith covering some lesser talent.

Ravens run D is really good, but they are very average in pass coverage. Webb is a converted CB who really doesn't know what he's doing at Safety and Weddle has lost at least a step. I think Brady is going to complete 35 passes for 350+ yards and 3 TDs - if that comes true, then there will be plenty to go around for Mitchell

Just dropped Booker for Mitchell so he's my shiny new WR4 toy. Looking forward to revving him up on Monday night. 

Just dropped Booker for Mitchell so he's my shiny new WR4 toy. Looking forward to revving him up on Monday night. 
Yeah I'm still torn. If Seimian plays I will play DT and consider benching Diggs for him. Diggs and Mitchell will likely get the same targets. Factor in the matchup and Mitchell is slightly higher IMO. If Lynch starts for Denver I'm benching DT... I was lucky to get what I did from DT last week. 

I am warming up to starting Mitchell as a strong WR #2, with WR #1 upside and a better than 50/50 chance to score one TD, let along multiple. I am seriously looking to start him over the likes of: Moncrief, Crabtree, Cooper, Moncrief, Ty Williams, Sanders. My other starting WR is TY Hilton. By the way in a heavy TD league I would rank TY, Mitchell, Williams (proving to be studly), and then Crabtree. Most sites would put TY and Cooper as their top two from this group.

Users who are viewing this thread