What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

I kind of like the idea of trading a 6th or 7th to St Louis for Zack Stacy if thats possible. He is their 4th RB at this point, and wants out. Still very young. Nice big guy to spell Miller with, and give 8-10 carries per game. No brainer for a 6th rounder IMO.
This is a good idea. Stacy can play and would be a good backup and tandem player to pair with Miller.

I really did not think Miami was serious about drafting another WR. I was wrong. The Dolphins invested both their 1st and 3rd round picks from this draft for Parker and Stills. Stills only has 2 years left on his rookie contract. With Cameron also a new addition the Dolphins have completely changed over their entire receiver group expect for Landry and Sims.

Parker is a great player who will help Tannehill greatly. All of these moves together should make the Dolphins a improved passing offense although I think they still need help on the offensive line.

Thrilled and stoked about Parker. Pinch me. I'm ok with Stacy for a late pick, but the guy I really want is Yeldon. I realize there are other needs at the moment though.

Four good ILB's on the board with second round grades (in this order IMO).

1. Kendricks

2. Perryman

3. Dawson

4. McKinley

Kendricks or Perryman are no brainers as they makes sense in round two and fill a crucial need. I would also consider an OL though it looks like most of the value at right now is at Tackle and not Guard.

Native said:
Four good ILB's on the board with second round grades (in this order IMO).

1. Kendricks

2. Perryman

3. Dawson

4. McKinley

Kendricks or Perryman are no brainers as they makes sense in round two and fill a crucial need. I would also consider an OL though it looks like most of the value at right now is at Tackle and not Guard.
Dawson is not going to be picked due the character issues.

Give me Cann or Jackson and hope one of these guys fall.

I like the idea of trading for Stacy (or maybe Mason if STL will part with him for a 4th or lower pick) and I really like the Parker pick. This offense should be dangerous this year and the core players are young so they should develop and improve together. MIA is an interesting team to watch this year.

Nothing groundbreaking here, just some quick summaries based on local media and local coverage via radio and print.

QB: The Miami Dolphins have extended Tannehill out for the next several years but this season he is set for a $4.5M salary, 2016 it goes to $11M, then 2017 it will shoot up to about $20M. I want to believe the contract is structured in a way that Miami can undo this in 2-3 seasons if necessary but that said I don’t have any proof of that either, I’m not a lawyer nor have I seen the contract.

But aside from that, RT looks like he can be a perennial top 20 QB, I’m not talking FF here but more like in the NFL. I also want to mention he played 2 years in college, 2 years in the pros all under Mike Sherman. Last season under a true professional OC he had the best season of his career. With a front office committed to getting him the help he needs and building an offense around him to succeed in. I’m still a little on the fence as to Tannehill’s ceiling but I don’t believe we have seen him on all cylinders just yet. I do feel we will see flashes this season, hopefully as a Phinsfan it will be positive.

Matt Moore($2.6M) and Josh Freeman($600k) will round out the back ups. Moore has shown he is capable as a back up, perhaps the best Miami has had since all the way back to Don Strock. That said, Tannehill is clearly the better QB now. Before last season many local writers said the difference between the two was almost nil and the team would win about the same number of games with either under Center. Now you certainly cannot say that.

RB: Lamar Miller ($1.6M/UFA next season) will be the lead back. Jay Ajayi(Rookie/5th) looks to be the talk of many rookie camps. He will not be able to unseat Miller but the locals feel strongly he is primed for the RB2 role which had little impact for Miami last year. Miller was the only reliable guy and even then one could argue he wasn’t always operating at a super high level. The RB3/4 spots have Damien Williams and LaMichael James battling out the last spot, Gillislee will be cut IMO.

Can Miller repeat his success of a year ago? I feel like 1,000 yards rushing is well within the cards but trying to gauge just how much total yards we are talking and how much impact the other backs can have. It stands to reason that Miller will see a good chunk of the touches. Miami might not resign him and if that is the case, why do they care how many touches he grabs? Just looking over the numbers again, Miller managed almost 1,100 yds on the ground last season avg 13-14 carries a game. 5.1 ypc with that pathetic OL in front of him last season? Tannehill’s ability to take off really opens up running lanes for Miller on draw plays.

If Ajayi can take 10-12 good carries or touches per game on the short stuff, that will keep Miller fresh in the game and in the 4th Q where Miami tends to fade, this should help them close out any games they are lucky enough to have the lead(have you seen their schedule).

WR: Love the Parker(1st) pick, hated that he was hurt already. You hope it is not the indicator of another Yatil Green(gasp) but I hope for the best. He is exciting and his immediate presence on the field was felt in the camps he participated in. He was easily the best WR on the field and once his injury heals I expect a bigger 2nd half of the season for him. I feel like parker was the best suited WR for the Miami offense and Tannehill based on RT’s strengths and weaknesses.

Jarvis Landry($800k/UFA-2018) had a nice rookie season hauling in 84 balls. The question is with a ypc of of 9.0 is Landry going to be a guy who needs 100 receptions, is he capable of that in this offense? You had to notice the quick synch he had with RT and to catch 84 balls as a rookie was nothing short of incredible. That said he was a safety valve. Maybe his role will improve but I would not pencil him in for 100 balls. If Brandon Marshall couldn’t do it here in Miami, just be cautious. I would rather project a slight uptick in his ypc and maybe 75 balls this season will net you 850-900 yds and maybe 5-6 TDs. I think most would be happy with a bye week filler type but I would not overly excited about him when Miami went out and added another 3 WRs into the mix. Sure they needed most if not all of them as they overhauled the WRs. I just don’t see Landry as a WR1 in Miami and I certainly wouldn’t in FF right now. I like Landry a lot as a fan but I also feel there is a ceiling here.

Greg Jennings($2.5M/$5.5M-2016) stands to have a nice season in Miami. I expect him to be one of the 2-3 WRs Miami will run out there on opening day with the starters. Guy was a Pro Bowl WR in 2010 and 2011, he is now 31 years old and certainly has plenty of wear and tear. His 2 years in Minnesota were nothing to write home about but his QB situation was touch n go, arguably had the worst he ever had tossing him the rock so I’m not sure you can assume his numbers will worsen in Miami. 70 catches has only been hit twice by Jennings but he also has 3 other seasons 68, 67, and 68 so that’s pretty close to every other season he racks up about 70 balls. Tannehill is an improvement over MN the last 2 years so once again I can see 68-72 receptions here, perhaps 900+ yards with a slight uptick in his ypc which fell way down from GB to MN. Keep an eye on camp but the less time Parker has in preseason the less likely he is to see the field early on. Jennings experience will make him valuable to Tannehill and he won’t show Tannehill up. He is a teacher now, he knows it.

Kenny Stills($500k/UFA-2017) rounds out the impact WRs on this team. I loved that Miami got this guy and I believe it is possible that since he is about a half step to full step behind Wallace, maybe that’s all RT needs to connect on a few of these long balls. It sounds nuts but perhaps it will show itself over the season. I don’t know if he can duplicate something like 60/900/6 TDs here. If he can get on the field for 50% of the snaps maybe he can make an impact. Right now I see him playing a lot early in the season but once Parker makes it back, you should see less of a role. Some might point to Jennings numbers being the ones taking a hit. I believe all the Miami WRs are going to see a dip once Parker is good to go.

TE: Jordan Cameron($4.5M/$9.5M-2016) is one or two good concussions from being done with football. Miami has had bad luck at TE. Dustin Keller blew his knee out largely due to a bad Tannehill pass in the preseason a couple years back. Charles Clay seized that opp but got paid a ransom to be in Buffalo(ggrrrrr). I wish Miami had just hit him with the franchise tag and continued to work on a deal. Was he worth what Buffalo paid? He showed some real flashes here and broke tackles like nobody I’ve seen in an aqua and white jersey at TE since Keith Jackson? He certainly is not that good but he reminded me a lot of Keith Byers who was here the same time. Cameron fits the offense and Tannehill rather well. He was on his way to greatness before he was derailed. I want to believe he can get the train back on track but he cannot be asked to block much on the OL. He has to be lined up like a WR in the slot and stay away from big hits the way Jason Witten makes a living in Dallas. Live to catch another pass.

Behind him is basically Dion Sims($700k/UFA-2017) who is a nice blocking TE, red zone target, and is making progress in other areas but he is a far cry from a Charles Clay in the making. The TE of the future is not on this team right now. Cameron won’t see $10M next season IMO. We’ll see how he performs but I can’t imagine he would be worth the money unless he returns to 2013 form. Big gamble here for Miami.

I’ll post up some info on OL and then defense as time permits.

Cheers,
:banned:

Early reports from training camp is that Suh has been a beast in pads and Tannehill has looked really sharp and ready to take the next step. The negative is the interior OL (guards) have been getting owned by the DL. Part of that might be that DL is one of the real strengths of this team but part of it could be they just suck. Hate to see us overpay for Mathis but if we could get him on a 2 year rental somehow they might just make some noise.

ps. can we get this thread title changed and get rid of the 2014.

Early reports from training camp is that Suh has been a beast in pads and Tannehill has looked really sharp and ready to take the next step. The negative is the interior OL (guards) have been getting owned by the DL. Part of that might be that DL is one of the real strengths of this team but part of it could be they just suck. Hate to see us overpay for Mathis but if we could get him on a 2 year rental somehow they might just make some noise.

ps. can we get this thread title changed and get rid of the 2014.
The guards are and continue to be our teams Achilles heal. If they don't step up this team will again be floundering to a 7-9 8-8 finish.What I want to see out of Tannehill and we won't know till the regular season when it counts, is his pocket presence and foot work. It must improve for him to take that next step into the upper echelon of QB's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Phin fans....for the first time in a long time I am actually excited by this team. 10-6 and a wildcard seem a lock, 11-5 not out of the question.

Come on Phin fans....for the first time in a long time I am actually excited by this team. 10-6 and a wildcard seem a lock, 11-5 not out of the question.
I don't associate the word lock, playoffs and Dolphins in the same sentence. I have not been able to do that since Dan Marino retired.

And even more telling is the how this once proud franchise has gone straight down since the Robbie family had to sell because of absolutely no estate planning by the late Joe Robbie.

I am cautiously optimistic. I think 10 wins is a best case. I still see some holes and no room for injury with this team. The sheer lack of awful drafting shows in the teams overall depth on the OL. It's just plain bad.

I would love a return to the post season and an actual playoff win. That would be a start. I love what I have seen from Tannehill this summer. If he takes that next step I can see 10 wins. If not.

8-8

OL is the only thing keeping me from being off the hook excited about this team. Specifically the Guards. We look good at OT and certainly at Center, but the guards could come back to haunt us.

That said, I believe 10 wins has to be the benchmark this year. No team is complete in the NFL, and we are no different. We have issues on the OL, the Pats have issues in the secondary, The Ravens have no WRs, The Colts have a sub par defense, the Steelers have a bad defense...etc. I think we win 10 this year and have a chance to make some noise in the post season.

I live in DC and scored some great seats for week 1 at FedEx. Really psyched to go see this team play!

Long term....I think we have a star WR. Short term he has a lot of catching up to do.

A lot.

Anyone feel any positive vibes about what Saunders can do for the offense?

Also any news on Lazor, what's his status?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Phins name DBs coach Lou Anarumo as the new DC.
I was hearing speculation right after the Philbin firing that the Mia brass wanted him to can Coyle and inspire change. Philbin refused to do so and thus got both of them canned apparently.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I was hearing speculation right after the Philbin firing that the Mia brass wanted him to can Coyle and inspire change. Philbin refused to do so and thus got both of them canned apparently.
I don't believe that. I think Philbin was done.

That team was dysfunctional and the fact they did not can him after the Martin/Incognito debacle is an indictment of how bad our front office and ownership really is.

Again....I sound like a broken record, but ever since the Robbie's sold the team we have been on a one way course down. It has never ever been anything remotely like the team I grew up watching.

Such a shame. I can't even get my son to watch Dolphins games. He rather watch who ever on Saturdays in college then watch the boring garbage product of the NFL on Sundays.

NFL football is dying a slow death for me.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I don't believe that. I think Philbin was done.

That team was dysfunctional and the fact they did not can him after the Martin/Incognito debacle is an indictment of how bad our front office and ownership really is.

Again....I sound like a broken record, but ever since the Robbie's sold the team we have been on a one way course down. It has never ever been anything remotely like the team I grew up watching.

Such a shame. I can't even get my son to watch Dolphins games. He rather watch who ever on Saturdays in college then watch the boring garbage product of the NFL on Sundays.

NFL product is still great in my opinion. The product we align with is what has been dying a slow death. I told my kids they should pick another team. We dont even live in Florida, we live in Ravens country. Would be so much more fun to be a Ravens fan. I feel badly having led them down the same awful path I have been on as a Miami Dolphins fan. Nothing fun about it. They wont jump ship. While I am proud of them for that, I feel badly for the pain and anguish that their current and future fandom holds for them. No relief in sight. I am starting to actually care more about my fantasy team.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I don't believe that. I think Philbin was done.That team was dysfunctional and the fact they did not can him after the Martin/Incognito debacle is an indictment of how bad our front office and ownership really is.

NFL product is still great in my opinion. The product we align with is what has been dying a slow death. I told my kids they should pick another team. We dont even live in Florida, we live in Ravens country. Would be so much more fun to be a Ravens fan. I feel badly having led them down the same awful path I have been on as a Miami Dolphins fan. Nothing fun about it. They wont jump ship. While I am proud of them for that, I feel badly for the pain and anguish that their current and future fandom holds for them. No relief in sight. I am starting to actually care more about my fantasy team.
I disagree about the product that is The NFL. Games have are fast becoming unwatchable. If I did not have Red Zone I would be done.

But as far as the Dolphins they are are disgustingly bad product, unwatchable and a total waste of my precious time. I sat there on a Sunday morning and wasted three hours I could have spent doing anything better than watching that unadulterated #### fest.

I am at my wits end watching the Dolphins. I have been a dedicated loyal fan since as early as I can remember living.

I am at that point of looking for a new team. It's that bad.

Did the personnel ever fit who Philbin was supposed to be as a coach?

It always seemed like the GM and the HC were on two different paths.

I don't believe that. I think Philbin was done.That team was dysfunctional and the fact they did not can him after the Martin/Incognito debacle is an indictment of how bad our front office and ownership really is.

I disagree about the product that is The NFL. Games have are fast becoming unwatchable. If I did not have Red Zone I would be done.

But as far as the Dolphins they are are disgustingly bad product, unwatchable and a total waste of my precious time. I sat there on a Sunday morning and wasted three hours I could have spent doing anything better than watching that unadulterated #### fest.

I am at my wits end watching the Dolphins. I have been a dedicated loyal fan since as early as I can remember living.

I am at that point of looking for a new team. It's that bad.
I agree w/ the Dolphins part. I've been a fan for years, and while they have had some lean years, I've never felt as completely uninterested in watching their games as I am right now. I just don't care about them anymore. I'm not going to find another team, but I'll just be a much more casual Dolphins fan than I have been. Maybe in a decade or two they'll be back to respectability and I'll be back full force.

The Miami Dolphins are 2-2, that's wonderful.
A lucky 2-2. They barely beat the Titans without Mariota, and they beat LAC on 2 missed FGs.  They had a slow start last year, but the schedule is much tougher this year with games remaining against NE(x2), Atl, Den, KC, Carolina - they'll be big underdogs in those games. How can one be optimistic when Cutler is the starting QB? 

We are still horrible.....again. 

Our OL is still sub par and as long as that continues......this is what we have. I don’t even know how we won 10 games last year anymore.....we are right back to pre-Gase #### show proportions. 

Seems like a one year jolt with a new coach.....and now it’s back to the same ol same ol we have had since Marino retired. 

Ugh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread