What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Miami Dolphins 2014 Off/In Season (1 Viewer)

Im thinking this is a 6-8 win team this year, and Philbin is a lame duck coach. Tannenbaum seems to be taking control, and I bet he will bring in his own guy next year.

As a Clay and Wallace owner in dynasty, I have found myself struggling with wanting them to stay because they are good players, and wanting them to leave to go somewhere where their talents can be maximized to make my fantasy team better. This stems from my feeling that even if they stay, we still arent any good, so I may as well get the fantasy points.

I have never before put my fantasy team before the Fins as a fan. Its a telling emotion, and indicative of the fact that I as a fan am just over all of this annual mediocrity, and have kind of lost hope. We are no closer to a championship than we were 15 years ago, and in that time we never have been close. Thats a long time to deal with this kind of suckage.

Im thinking this is a 6-8 win team this year, and Philbin is a lame duck coach. Tannenbaum seems to be taking control, and I bet he will bring in his own guy next year.

As a Clay and Wallace owner in dynasty, I have found myself struggling with wanting them to stay because they are good players, and wanting them to leave to go somewhere where their talents can be maximized to make my fantasy team better. This stems from my feeling that even if they stay, we still arent any good, so I may as well get the fantasy points.

I have never before put my fantasy team before the Fins as a fan. Its a telling emotion, and indicative of the fact that I as a fan am just over all of this annual mediocrity, and have kind of lost hope. We are no closer to a championship than we were 15 years ago, and in that time we never have been close. Thats a long time to deal with this kind of suckage.
Been there for a long time... Fan since 1971 so I've seen a lot.. Remember how crushing it felt to be eliminated from contention each season? I haven't even felt that pain in ages.

A rudderless ship with a legacy of bad decisions; passing on Brees; drafting Ginn with the 9th pick; above they talked about passing on Bret Bielema, who wanted to draft Russell Wilson. The though that they could have drafted a Luke Kuechly claiber player And Wilson is disheartening.

Oh well, as in baseball, hope springs eternal. And the draft is right around the corner.

I've cared about my FF teams more than Miami for sometimes. Being a younger fan not from Florida makes it even harder. This organization is just inept.

Many league insiders view Miami as the front-runner for Suh's services because the Dolphins field a competitive team that has been 8-8 the past two seasons, feature a tropical location and no state taxes. And most importantly, owner Steve Ross' big-bidding approach to free agency, which has resulted in the Dolphins spending more money on the team's talent base since 2011 than all but one franchise, San Francisco 49ers.

Oooof

Im coming around to the Suh idea. At first I thought of it as another huge contract that we will ultimately regret and lament as another deal that damns the franchise for a decade. Still may be so. However just thinking about a DL with Suh, Wake and Vernon on it and I get a little excited about the idea. To beat Brady, the formula has been clear - get after him. That DL fits the formula well. Gotta put 2 men on Suh, and that will free up the pther guys - who are extremely competent in their own right, to do what they do. Play top shelf D, and all of a sudden the game-manager QB becomes a bit more appealing.

Not completely sold yet, but warming to the idea.

Im coming around to the Suh idea. At first I thought of it as another huge contract that we will ultimately regret and lament as another deal that damns the franchise for a decade. Still may be so. However just thinking about a DL with Suh, Wake and Vernon on it and I get a little excited about the idea. To beat Brady, the formula has been clear - get after him. That DL fits the formula well. Gotta put 2 men on Suh, and that will free up the pther guys - who are extremely competent in their own right, to do what they do. Play top shelf D, and all of a sudden the game-manager QB becomes a bit more appealing.

I just hate paying a guy who loses control on the field that much money.

It makes perfect football sense to let Odrick walk, cut Starks, and sign Suh. They were just not at all effective at stopping the run last year, which was the biggest problem of the defense last year. If they address CB and LB with the first two draft picks (as I think they should), the defense looks pretty dangerous.

How is it affordable with the contracts that Pouncey and Tannehill will get this year or next? Going to need some Aponte wizardry. I'd guess they are working on giving Clay a deal that lowers his hit this year.

Still need a guard on the offense and some cheap talent at WR/RB.

As expected Wheeler and Ellerbe, are being cut. Wheeler is already a post June 1 cut. Hopefully, Ellerbe is the other one saving an additional $3mm. This would likely mean they have decided to keep Wallace (and should).

Rumor is that Miami offered Cobb 4/48, very interesting. It is playoffs or bust, folks.

As expected Wheeler and Ellerbe, are being cut. Wheeler is already a post June 1 cut. Hopefully, Ellerbe is the other one saving an additional $3mm. This would likely mean they have decided to keep Wallace (and should).

Rumor is that Miami offered Cobb 4/48, very interesting. It is playoffs or bust, folks.
What a slap in the face if true and he turned that down. $8M more plus no state income taxes. Probably roughly an $11-$12M net difference to play in sunny FL vs frigid GB.

I understand the difference in offenses and particularly QBs, but thats a lot of dough. Its not like Tannehill is EJ Manuel either.

It says a lot if that rumor is true.

I guess this means the end of Randy Starks in Miami?

A line of Wake, Suh, Mitchell and Vernon has to be considered one of the best in the league.

So much money to one player and with so many other holes don't know where they'll find the money to pay anyone else?

If Suh signed with any other team in the NFL, that team thread would be blowing up in these forums right now. Our fanbase is so completely done with football, its pathetic.

So much money to one player and with so many other holes don't know where they'll find the money to pay anyone else?
It actually isn't as bad as I thought. Here is some quick math on the current situation:

1. Current moves have Miami at around $16.5mm in cap space.
  2. Ellerbe will be cut. This saves $5.6mm as a pre June 1st or $8.4mm as a post June 1st.
  3. Starks will likely be cut freeing up $5mm.
  4. Cutting Wallace as post June 1st would save $6.9mm. The designation about Ellerbe basically shows what the decision on Wallace is.
  5. Cutting Fields could save $3mm. Expect him to get cut or restructured.
  6. Charles Clay situation: He can be cut, another team could sign him for more, or Miami could resign and lower this year one hit. Current cap hit is $7mm.
  7. Pouncey is likely to get a deal which could lower his cap hit this year ($7mm).
  8. Shelly Smith could be cut for $2.75mm.
  9. Suh is likely to have a large signing bonus and could have a cap hit this year of as low as $5mm.
There is an awful lot of wiggle room here. You could quickly see upwards of $40mm to play with (excluding Suh's hit).

Personally, I'd keep Wallace and Clay. If Clay's price starts to get bid up, I'd be hard-pressed to keep going though. He didn't do as well with Lazor's offense.

Look for Miami to sign someone on the backend next, probably want to get a starter at CB or Safety in free agency. A MLB too if they do not overpay. Should have plenty of money for that at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Barnwell thinks Suh will sink the Fins. (also some stuff on Philly)
The one thing about Miami that I'd bet on is that Dawn Aponte will be able to manage the cap impacts. Miami has thrown a stupendous amount of money at underwhelming players the past few years, yet they always seem to have more of it. One of the reasons is that they haven't drafted talent that needed to be retained after their rookie deals. They have to do a better

The other thing to consider is that, if they hadn't signed Suh, they would likely be paying $8mm a year to Odrick or a similar replacement.

From post #450

Hanging my hat now on the ability to build a dominant defense; The league has changed over the years. Offense is fun but I still believe that running the ball and a strong defense are the key to a championship.

It actually isn't as bad as I thought. Here is some quick math on the current situation:

1. Current moves have Miami at around $16.5mm in cap space.
  2. Ellerbe will be cut. This saves $5.6mm as a pre June 1st or $8.4mm as a post June 1st.
  3. Starks will likely be cut freeing up $5mm.
  4. Cutting Wallace as post June 1st would save $6.9mm. The designation about Ellerbe basically shows what the decision on Wallace is.
  5. Cutting Fields could save $3mm. Expect him to get cut or restructured.
  6. Charles Clay situation: He can be cut, another team could sign him for more, or Miami could resign and lower this year one hit. Current cap hit is $7mm.
  7. Pouncey is likely to get a deal which could lower his cap hit this year ($7mm).
  8. Shelly Smith could be cut for $2.75mm.
  9. Suh is likely to have a large signing bonus and could have a cap hit this year of as low as $5mm.
There is an awful lot of wiggle room here. You could quickly see upwards of $40mm to play with (excluding Suh's hit).

Personally, I'd keep Wallace and Clay. If Clay's price starts to get bid up, I'd be hard-pressed to keep going though. He didn't do as well with Lazor's offense.

Look for Miami to sign someone on the backend next, probably want to get a starter at CB or Safety in free agency. A MLB too if they do not overpay. Should have plenty of money for that at least.
Shelly and Starks have been cut. Fields restructured to save $1mm this year.

Got this from a post in the Bills thread. Anyone know if this is accurate? If so, looks like huge problems next year...

"Actually, Miami structured Suh's deal to try to keep Clay. Suh gets his $25M signing bonus this year plus the vet minimum this year. So his cap hit is only like $5.5M this year. Which means they still have about $7M in cap space.

Of course, the Dolphins are totally screwed next year. Suh's salary for next year is $23M guaranteed. Add in his prorated signing bonus and his cap hit next year is a whopping $28M!!!

The Dolphins already have $125M committed to next year's cap and that doesn't include any of these guys:

R. Tannehill
M. Pouncey
O. Vernon
L. Miller
D. Shelby
R. Matthews

Toss in another $7-8M if they keep Clay and that leaves them with only $10-15 M tops available next year for all those other guys plus free agents.

They tried to get cute in order to keep Clay and it's going to destroy them next year. Such is an elite player, but that contract is going to wreck them for a long time."

Cap is forecasted to go up another 17 million in 2016. Likely around 160 million.

2016 also offers the Dolphins the chance to get rid of Mike Wallace (9.3 cap savings), and Dion Jordan (3.2). Wake will also be 34 years old, and could save them 8.4 if cut. That's nearly 21 million for those three players. That would put them around 50 million under the cap, even with Suhs 28 million cap charge. Lots of room to sign Tannehill etc.

Cap is forecasted to go up another 17 million in 2016. Likely around 160 million.

2016 also offers the Dolphins the chance to get rid of Mike Wallace (9.3 cap savings), and Dion Jordan (3.2). Wake will also be 34 years old, and could save them 8.4 if cut. That's nearly 21 million for those three players. That would put them around 50 million under the cap, even with Suhs 28 million cap charge. Lots of room to sign Tannehill etc.
Thanks. Appreciate the clarification. $17M is a big jump. These contract will continue to be more and more irresponsible, but I guess the players should be getting paid with the league bringing in so much money.

Maybe I am the minority but I have no problem letting Clay walk for 7 or 8 million a year. I think he is a slightly above average TE but he isn't Gronk or Graham. We've talked to Cameron, if the doctors say he is healthy I'd rather sign him a 3 or 4 million dollar deal for a year or two.

SwampDawg said:
Maybe I am the minority but I have no problem letting Clay walk for 7 or 8 million a year. I think he is a slightly above average TE but he isn't Gronk or Graham. We've talked to Cameron, if the doctors say he is healthy I'd rather sign him a 3 or 4 million dollar deal for a year or two.
Agree. Love Clay, but thats a lot to pay. I figured after last season we'd get him for around $6M per year without much competition. $8M for him is a ton, and we have to scale back on overpaying, even on our own.

Agree. Clay is undersized. He is not a true TE. He is a classic H back.

This is the year Dion Jordan is shifted to an outside LB. This is the year he becomes that dynamic play maker on defense (pass rushing maven and a guy who can cover). With Suh in the middle and Wake and Vernon on the outside on the line if Jordan can not break out....it will never ever happen. I still have a glimmer of hope that year 3 for Jordan is the year.

Wake will not be back next season at 8.4M. He will be 34. His last season will be 2015 with the Dolphins IMO.

And if Tannehill plays exactly the same as last year......let him walk too in 2016. I refuse to believe you pay a guy 13-14MM a year for that. Sorry. That's ridiculous. And if that is the going rate for middling talent at QB I rather stink and get a top 3-4 pick and try again with another QB. I want Tannehill to be that guy. But he has not shown he is a high caliber player. And that is the freaking point. To win a title. He can't even get us into the post season. And I doubt we get there yet again in 2015. SO good by Philbin (thank god).

Seriously doubt we win more than 9 games in 2015.

ChuckLiddell said:
Got this from a post in the Bills thread. Anyone know if this is accurate? If so, looks like huge problems next year...

"Actually, Miami structured Suh's deal to try to keep Clay. Suh gets his $25M signing bonus this year plus the vet minimum this year. So his cap hit is only like $5.5M this year. Which means they still have about $7M in cap space.

Of course, the Dolphins are totally screwed next year. Suh's salary for next year is $23M guaranteed. Add in his prorated signing bonus and his cap hit next year is a whopping $28M!!!

The Dolphins already have $125M committed to next year's cap and that doesn't include any of these guys:

R. Tannehill

M. Pouncey

O. Vernon

L. Miller

D. Shelby

R. Matthews

Toss in another $7-8M if they keep Clay and that leaves them with only $10-15 M tops available next year for all those other guys plus free agents.

They tried to get cute in order to keep Clay and it's going to destroy them next year. Such is an elite player, but that contract is going to wreck them for a long time."
Lot of bad analysis here. Firstly, this assumes the current Ellerbe and Wallace contracts are still being paid out in 2016. Next, you have to realize that Miami can do the same thing with these players to lower their 2016 hit. Then you have to consider the cap increase coming as well as any excess that Miami rolls over into that year.

There is a lot of way things could go. If there is one person that has earned my trust in the Miami staff it is Aponte.

I have Miami sitting around $17mm in 2015 cap space left with Clay, Ellerbe, and Wallace all on the books still. A lot of variables out there.

SwampDawg said:
I like Clay a lot too, but a healthy Cameron is better than Clay.

Dolphins are trying to trade for Evan Mathis, G/PHI - that would really help this OL. Let's see if they can pull it off....

Dolphins are trying to trade for Evan Mathis, G/PHI - that would really help this OL. Let's see if they can pull it off....
He turns 34 this season. He's a great player, but I personally wouldnt be too excited about giving up anything of value, unless you think we are gonna compete for a ring this year or next.

Sounds like Miami is still trying to keep Clay, not sure how that will work out. Healthy Cameron is certainly an upgrade.

Good move all around. Ellerbe was on the way out, $3M cap saved, and only costing an additional 3rd round pick for a reasonably fast and reliable WR.

You have to wonder what the Saints are doing. You could understand Graham. He's not a strong blocker & you can certainly have a top offense without a joker TE, but Stills is an up & coming WR. He's cheap & has a lot of talent.

Stills finally gets a chance to be a full-time WR. He could be one of FF's biggest surprises next season.

Lamar Miller

Cameron

Wallace

Landry

Stills

Looking very good. Healthy Albert coming back, Pouncey, James

We need a couple of guards and maybe...just maybe we have an offense. Of course it all comes back to Tanny. He must take another step this season and be "the man". I mean really. THE MAN. Otherwise it's futile.

You have to wonder what the Saints are doing. You could understand Graham. He's not a strong blocker & you can certainly have a top offense without a joker TE, but Stills is an up & coming WR. He's cheap & has a lot of talent.

Stills finally gets a chance to be a full-time WR. He could be one of FF's biggest surprises next season.
You have to wonder what the Saints know about Stills that they didn't like.

It's becoming clear they are moving in a different direction...big time. That Graham Trade still has me baffled.

Just baffled. One of the 4 best most impactful skill position non QB weapons in the league

1. Dez

2. Gronk

3. Graham

4. Charles

So is MIA trying to build an identy around their D or Tannehill?

I hope it's the D.
If we have a dominant defense...this offense is good enough. If it is the same defense as the last 2 seasons.....we will be in the crapper.

Agreed. Seems like a strange trade for the Saints to make.

Have to like what the Dolphins are doing on offense here though. When the Packers played the Dolphins last year, Bob McGinn did his preview of the fish. The scouts he talked to said the problem with the Dolphins offense was that there wasn't very much talent around Tannehill.

The Fins could also just be taking advantage of the Saints acting bizarrely. Saints should be trying to trade Brees, if this is the plan.

It might just be that Cooks and Stills are similar players, and they didn't need both. They obviously want to load up on draft picks. How bad was Ellerbe with Miami? Looks like he got the money and busted. Is that accurate?

It might just be that Cooks and Stills are similar players, and they didn't need both. They obviously want to load up on draft picks. How bad was Ellerbe with Miami? Looks like he got the money and busted. Is that accurate?
Yes. He stunk up the joint.

Users who are viewing this thread