What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** New England Patriot Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

Quick hits

Quick hits on two of the Patriots’ sixth-round selections –- offensive guard Dan Stevenson (Notre Dame, 205th) and nose tackle Le Kevin Smith (Nebraska, 206th):

Dan Stevenson

* 6-foot-5, 300 pounds.

* Played in 45 games, with 35 starts (closed career with 34 consecutive starts).

* His father, Mark, played at Missouri and was an offensive guard/center for the Detroit Lions in 1985.

* Played a bit at tackle early in his career but most of his time came at right guard.

* Produced 78 key blocks/knockdowns with eight touchdown-resulting blocks.

* Turns 24 in October.

* Graduated and was pursuing a graduate degree.

Le Kevin Smith

* First name is pronounced Leh-KEE-vin.

* 6-foot-1, 307 pounds.

* 49 games played at Nebraska, with 35 starts.

* Played three different positions –- weak-side defensive tackle, nose guard and right defensive tackle.

* Totaled 9.5 sacks and 36 stops for losses.

* Credited with 20 quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery.

* Turns 24 in July.

More on Mincey

Quick hits on outside linebacker Jeremy Mincey, who was selected by the Patriots in the sixth round (191st overall):

* 6-foot-3, 263 pounds.

* Spent first two college seasons at Butler County Community College, before starting the last two seasons for the University of Florida.

* Played defensive end at Florida but projects as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment.

* Team captain in 2005.

* 24 games played for Florida, all starts.

* Totaled 113 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and 19.5 stops for losses.

* Credited with 14 quarterback pressures, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

* Turns 23 in December.

* Ambidextrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
More on Mincey

Quick hits on outside linebacker Jeremy Mincey, who was selected by the Patriots in the sixth round (191st overall):

* Played defensive end at Florida but projects as an outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment.
Heh, you beat me to it, I was about to post.... THERE'S OUR LB

I would love to be in the real Patriots war room and learn what goes on...it is so tough to see guys you think will be a great fit go to the wayside and other players get picked and you have to quickly read up on them to find out who they are.

I really thought day two might go a little differently....the second TE was a little surprise...no real surprise about the kicker except for where he was taken.

Would have liked CB Derrick Martin at 206, DT Gabriel Watson at 106, and somehow have gotten DE Babatunde Oshinowo (maybe use an earlier pick and get the kicker at 191).

Willie Andrews Safety | Senior | Baylor

Height: 5-9 3/8 | Weight: 193 | 40-Time: 4.38

Strengths:

Has excellent speed...Very instinctive...Plays much bigger than he is...A solid tackler who can also deliver the big hit...Very strong...Active and is always around the action...Experienced and a three-year starter...Also an excellent return man.

Weaknesses:

Is undersized and doesn't have the height you look for...Lacks fluid hips and struggles in man coverage...Ball skills and hands really leave something to be desired...May need to be in the right scheme to succeed...Starting potential?

Notes:

Might be a S / CB 'tweener without a true pro position...Because he doesn't have great size he may never be more than a backup and special teamer at the pro level...With his speed someone could take a chance on him earlier than expected.

Final Draft:

New England

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

1 21 Maroney, Laurence RB 6-0 216 Minnesota

2 36 Jackson, Chad WR 6-1 212 Florida

3 86 Thomas, Dave TE 6-3 239 Texas

4 106 Mills, Garrett TE 6-1 227 Tulsa

4 118 Gostkowski, Stephen K 6-2 210 Memphis

5 136 O'Callaghan, Ryan G 6-7 343 California

6 191 Mincey, Jeremy DE 6-4 258 Florida

6 205 Stevenson, Dan G 6-5 297 Notre Dame

6 206 Smith, Le Kevin DT 6-3 315 Nebraska

7 229 Andrews, Willie CB 5-9 182 Baylor

Kind of surprised they ended up utilizing 10 picks. With so few trades on the second day, I wonder if teams just felt that their boards were set up well.

All told, I am much happier with this draft now than if you would have told me before hand that the first 6, and 7 out of 10, picks would be on offense.

That is the best part of the draft: for all I know, Willie Andrews is the next Ty Law and I'll be wearing a Gostkowski jersey come February.

Here is a link to a draft prospects page that includes videos for many prospects. It was already posted elsewhere on this forum, but I figured I'd put it here in case people wanted to see video of the newest Patriots. There are videos for every one of them except Stevenson and Andrews.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects;_ylt...bYF?rank_type=2

Note: Click the video camera icon next to a player's name to see the video for that player.

After watching this videos, here's what I came away with:

Maroney - OK, this guy is a BEAST. I have a good feeling that even if DeAngelo Williams (who I wanted over Maroney) has a good career, I won't mind a bit.

Jackson - The only really impressive thing that stands out in his video is his ability as a deep threat which is nice. He does look like he'll be a great addition to the Pats 4- and 5-wide spread formations. I've seen other videos that are more impressive and am still really high on him (especially in the 2nd round).

Thomas - Definitely has the speed and hands to be a receiving TE in the NFL. No indication about his blocking ability, although he does lack ideal size for that job.

Mills - Way too small to be an NFL TE. But...he has great hands and can flat out run after the catch. Looks like he has the skills to be a receiving FB a la Larry Centers.

O'Callaghan - You can't tell a lot from the video because the camera focuses on the ball carrier. But you can see that he is huge and still has enough agility to make plays in space and also make blocks up field.

Mincey - Not elite athletically, but I see what they mean about "motor always going". Has a 3-4 OLB body and just looks like he's having fun out there, especially hitting.

Smith - Good athlete, looks more like a 1-gap penetrating tackle than a 2-gapper, but if he can learn the technique, has good size and athleticism.

Big thanks to everybody, esp. NERangers, for all the input in this thread. The draft is one of my favorite events of the year, and I always end up enjoying it alone. You guys have really made it feel like I have been watching it with a whole slew of Pats fans. Thanks for that, and for all the info.

Big thanks to everybody, esp. NERangers, for all the input in this thread. The draft is one of my favorite events of the year, and I always end up enjoying it alone. You guys have really made it feel like I have been watching it with a whole slew of Pats fans. Thanks for that, and for all the info.
Defintely fun...feel the same way. Can't say there are a lot of Patriot fans in Steelers and Eagles country here! LOLI will probably start updating our Patriots thread by consolidating this one some. I have it book marked in the thread as well.

Link is in my Sig line.

I am sure there will probably be a few signings after the draft as well to add.

Andrews quick hits

Quick hits on seventh-round pick Willie Andrews, a defensive back from Baylor:

* 5-foot-10, 193 pounds.

* Owns Baylor career records for total kick returns, kick return yards and punt return yards, while ranking second in punt returns.

* Played strong safety at Baylor but projects to cornerback in the NFL.

* 46 games played (34 starts) at Baylor.

* Totaled 219 tackles with 8.5 sacks, 26 stops for losses and 11 pressures.

* Deflected 13 passes and intercepted three others.

* Turns 23 in November.

Maybe this will be one of the signings to the Pats after the draft:

Hoyte in a holding pattern

Andy Hart, 5:32 pm

It has been brought to our attention by approximately 32 NFL teams that PFW favorite prospect and N.C. State linebacker Oliver Hoyte is not worthy of a draft pick. Hey, you win some and you lose some. We hit on plenty of our projections. Everyone makes mistakes here and there. But, some team is going to get one heck of a rookie free agent steal when they sign Hoyte. I'm not totally jumping ship just yet.

It has been brought to our attention by approximately 32 NFL teams that PFW favorite prospect and N.C. State linebacker Oliver Hoyte is not worthy of a draft pick. Hey, you win some and you lose some. We hit on plenty of our projections. Everyone makes mistakes here and there. But, some team is going to get one heck of a rookie free agent steal when they sign Hoyte. I'm not totally jumping ship just yet.
Yep. All 3 of the ILB prospects I like (Hoyte, Parham, Robinson) went undrafted. Hopefully they'll sign 1 or 2 of them.

Yep. All 3 of the ILB prospects I like (Hoyte, Parham, Robinson) went undrafted. Hopefully they'll sign 1 or 2 of them.
Agreed...also Patrick RossPatrick Ross (C/G), Boston College – Ross is another local product the Patriots could be interested in. He’s a smart player who succeeds because he plays with good technique. Dan Koppen is coming off an injury and is a free agent next year, so adding a young center makes sense for the Patriots. Ross would provide depth at the center position and could become an eventual starter in New England. He’s definitely a Patriots-kind of lineman.

Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – PFW’s top ranked middle linebacker is still on the board and a player we believe the Patriots really like. Hoyte is the most physical player at his position and was extremely productive in college. He played all over the place for North Carolina State because of his versatility but his physical style of play, instincts and toughness project him inside at the pro level. Hoyte has all the traits and intangibles the Patriots like and defensive coordinator Dean Pees is already impressed with his knowledge of the game. Don’t be surprised if Hoyte becomes a Patriot on Sunday.

Dale Robinson, Arizona State – When watching Robinson you can see that he plays with a mean streak. He not only tackles people, he punishes them. Sometimes he tackles a little high but he’s a vicious hitter and the kind of physical player who would fit in well as a 3-4 middle linebacker. Robinson makes plays all over the field and really excels against the run. Another positive with Robinson is he played both inside and outside linebacker at Arizona State. While he has the speed to play outside, his bruising style of play probably makes him a better fit inside in the NFL. Robinson is a player with a nasty streak who has fun dishing out punishment on the football field so if the Patriots do draft him, they should put his locker right next to Rodney Harrison because the two of them play with a similar attitude.

Kai Parham, Virginia - At his pre-draft press conference, Belichick said Virginia is the college team whose defense most resembles the Patriots because of Al Groh. Parham played middle linebacker for the Cavaliers so if he’s a player Belichick likes, there’s a good chance he could become a Patriot tomorrow. Parham is big (252 pounds) but he doesn’t shed blocks as well as he should for his size. He doesn’t have great speed but a middle linebacker in the 3-4 defense doesn’t really need to be that fast. Parham would be a decent choice on Day 2 but he needs time to develop.

How many guys do you actually think make the Pats roster this year? They have 10 draft picks and it appears at least a couple of undrafted free agents that they are interested in.

Locks/Likely to make the team:

QB (3)

Brady

Cassele

Flutie or another veteran

WR (5)

Branch

Caldwell

Jackson ®

B. Johnson

?

RB (5)

Dillon

Maroney ®

Faulk

Pass

Mills ®

OL (8)

Light

Neal

Koppen

Mankins

Kaczur

Gorin

O'Callaghan ®

Hochstein

TE (3)

Watson

Graham

Thomas ®

DL (6)

Seymour

Warren

Wilfork

Green

Le Kevin Smith ®

Dan Klecko

LB (7)

Colvin

Vrabel

Bruschi

Banta-Cain

Biesel

Mincey ®

Claridge

Secondary (10)

Gay

Samuel

Hobbs

Wilson

Harrison

T. Jones

J. Sanders

C. Scott

A. Hawkins

G. Scott

K (1)

Gostkowski

P (1)

Miller

Thats a 49 man roster with one spot being an unidentified WR. They have room for 4 more on the 53 man roster.

I didnt include rookie draft picks Dan Stevenson or Willie Andrews because they are by no means locks to make the squad.

Is there room for Patrick Ross or Oliver Hoyte on this team? :shrug:

Please let me know if I forgot anyone major as I did this off the top of my head.

How many guys do you actually think make the Pats roster this year?  They have 10 draft picks and it appears at least a couple of undrafted free agents that they are interested in.

QB (3)

Brady

Cassele

WR (5)

Branch

Caldwell

Jackson ®

B. Johnson

?

RB (5)

Dillon

Maroney ®

Faulk

Pass

Mills ®

OL (8)

Light

Neal

Koppen

Mankins

Kaczur

Gorin

O'Callaghan ®

Hochstein

TE (3)

Watson

Graham

Thomas ®

DL (6)

Seymour

Warren

Wilfork

Green

Le Kevin Smith ®

Dan Klecko

LB (7)

Colvin

Vrabel

Bruschi

Banta-Cain

Biesel

Mincey ®

Claridge

Secondary (10)

Gay

Samuel

Hobbs

Wilson

Harrison

T. Jones

J. Sanders

C. Scott

A. Hawkins

G. Scott

K (1)

Gostkowski

P (1)

Miller

Thats a 49 man roster with one spot being an unidentified WR.  They have room for 4 more on the 53 man roster.

I didnt include rookie draft picks Dan Stevenson or Willie Andrews because they are by no means locks to make the squad.

Please let me know if I forgot anyone major as I did this off the top of my head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lonnie Paxton, Larry Izzo, Don Davis and Eric Warfield are big omissions. Gotta believe Marquis Hill has one more year to prove he can play since he was drafted as a somewhat of a project. Wright maybe in the mix at NT but he'll have to battle it out. Tucker on the O line signed a decent deal so he may factor in. I think you're being quite generous definetly giving Bethel a spot. He's on very thin ice. Troy probably plays one more year and if not I could see Bam Childress taking his spot. Mel Mitchell is another guy that could factor in as a special teams ace.Also, I don't see the Patriots not adding a few more free agents on the defensive side.

Patriots | Team signs UDFA F. Roach

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:17:17 -0700

The Times Daily reports undrafted rookie free agent LB Freddie Roach (Alabama) has signed an undisclosed contract with the New England Patriots.

Surprised by the pick. Figured BB and SP would go with the 'RB value later' theory.  Like it better than any of the WRs, but I bought into Borges this morning and thought they would take the C out of OSU or one of the available DBs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why use a first rounder on a center when they have Dan Koppen, who is a 3rd or 4th year player, and very solid? This was a 'RB value later' play. They got top 10 talent at 21. The Jackson play was better, and they got top 15 talent in the second round.

I was amazed at the run on the D side of the ball, throughout the early part of the draft. There was a lot of 1st round offensive talent well into the 2ne round.

Jets had a very good draft, and the 'Fins looked solid with their limited picks too, and **** Jauron lived up to expectations, and made his team marginally better, if at all, but more likely worse. (why does that guy have an NFL job? Actually, I don't think he made the picks, but he had a hand in there, I'm sure. First two picks they didn't even take the best available at the position, never mind best player available. I'm happy he's in the conference.) I expect the AFC East to again be a top conference this year, and for a few to come, with the way led by the Pats, or course.

How many guys do you actually think make the Pats roster this year?  They have 10 draft picks and it appears at least a couple of undrafted free agents that they are interested in.

QB (3)

Brady

Cassele

WR (5)

Branch

Caldwell

Jackson ®

B. Johnson

?

RB (5)

Dillon

Maroney ®

Faulk

Pass

Mills ®

OL (8)

Light

Neal

Koppen

Mankins

Kaczur

Gorin

O'Callaghan ®

Hochstein

TE (3)

Watson

Graham

Thomas ®

DL (6)

Seymour

Warren

Wilfork

Green

Le Kevin Smith ®

Dan Klecko

LB (7)

Colvin

Vrabel

Bruschi

Banta-Cain

Biesel

Mincey ®

Claridge

Secondary (10)

Gay

Samuel

Hobbs

Wilson

Harrison

T. Jones

J. Sanders

C. Scott

A. Hawkins

G. Scott

K (1)

Gostkowski

P (1)

Miller

Thats a 49 man roster with one spot being an unidentified WR.  They have room for 4 more on the 53 man roster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lonnie Paxton, Larry Izzo, Don Davis and Eric Warfield are big omissions. Gotta believe Marquis Hill has one more year to prove he can play since he was drafted as a somewhat of a project. Wright maybe in the mix at NT but he'll have to battle it out. Tucker on the O line signed a decent deal so he may factor in. I think you're being quite generous definetly giving Bethel a spot. He's on very thin ice. Troy probably plays one more year and if not I could see Bam Childress taking his spot. Mel Mitchell is another guy that could factor in as a special teams ace.Also, I don't see the Patriots not adding a few more free agents on the defensive side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats 8 more players. I gave Bethel a spot because having Branch, Jackson and Caldwell still leaves them with 2 open spots at WR. I didnt know who else to put there. I forgot about Troy Brown.Who on my list gets cut then? Adding your 8 to my list makes it a 56 man roster, 53 is the limit. The point I was trying to make was that it might sound nice to bring in some UDFA's but there arent very many roster spots left up for grabs.

This might sound crazy but with the special teams value of guys like David Thomas, Garrett Mills and Willie Andrews, could Izzo be on thin ice? He is getting up there in age and he doesnt hold much value at LB.

Just thinking that Heath Evans should be nervous too. I think they resigned him but I dont see him making this team.

QB (3)

Brady

Cassele

WR (5)

Branch

Caldwell

Jackson ®

B. Johnson

?

RB (5)

Dillon

Maroney ®

Faulk

Pass

Mills ®

OL (8)

Light

Neal

Koppen

Mankins

Kaczur

Gorin

O'Callaghan ®

Hochstein

TE (3)

Watson

Graham

Thomas ®

DL (6)

Seymour

Warren

Wilfork

Green

Le Kevin Smith ®

Dan Klecko

LB (7)

Colvin

Vrabel

Bruschi

Banta-Cain

Biesel

Mincey ®

Claridge

Secondary (10)

Gay

Samuel

Hobbs

Wilson

Harrison

T. Jones

J. Sanders

C. Scott

A. Hawkins

G. Scott

K (1)

Gostkowski

P (1)

Miller

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats 8 more players. I gave Bethel a spot because having Branch, Jackson and Caldwell still leaves them with 2 open spots at WR. I didnt know who else to put there. I forgot about Troy Brown.Who on my list gets cut then? Adding your 8 to my list makes it a 56 man roster, 53 is the limit. The point I was trying to make was that it might sound nice to bring in some UDFA's but there arent very many roster spots left up for grabs.

This might sound crazy but with the special teams value of guys like David Thomas, Garrett Mills and Willie Andrews, could Izzo be on thin ice? He is getting up there in age and he doesnt hold much value at LB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BB/Pioli swear by the competition in camp theory. They want no one feeling comfortable and secure. They will bring in a lot more players and if they perform they will get a chance. They will not pencil someone in because of their name or draft position. They cut Cobbs and Reid who were both fourth rounders after only two years in the system.As for Izzo I think he's nearing the end of his time with the Pats. It wouldn't surprise me if this is his last year especially if some of the youngsters prove they can upgrade the special teams unit. Yet, right now he actually has some value at LB (unfortunately). They're thin there and he knows the system. I expect them to bring in a few more LBs but whether they are of the ready to contribute variety remains to be seen.

Just thinking that Heath Evans should be nervous too.  I think they resigned him but I dont see him making this team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Pats have never carried a lot of RBs and now that they added Maroney and Mills who can play FB there may not be room for Evans although all it takes is one injury.

Mills - Way too small to be an NFL TE.  But...he has great hands and can flat out run after the catch.  Looks like he has the skills to be a receiving FB a la Larry Centers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like my impression of Mills is in sync with the Patriots view of him:
One of the most prolific tight ends in college football history, Mills more likely will play fullback with the Pats. The official bio released by the team noted he has a chance to duplicate the success of Larry Centers, who caught 827 passes during a 13-year career.
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...&format=&page=1

Some end up on the practice squad too...

Not one of the UDFA I was hoping the Pats would go after were signed by them:

OL Jai Lewis, George Mason - NY Giants

LB Spencer Havner, UCLA - Washington Redskins

LB Kai Parham, Virginia - Dallas Cowboys

TE Tim Day, Oregon - Chicago Bears

LB Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State - Minnasota Vikings

OC Pat Ross, Boston College - Seattle Seahawks

WR Martin Nance - Buffalo Bills

CB Darrell Hunter - Arizona Cardinals

ILB Dale Robinson - Indianapolis Colts

LB Spencer Havner, UCLA - Washington Redskins

LB Kai Parham, Virginia - Dallas Cowboys

LB Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State - Minnasota Vikings

ILB Dale Robinson - Indianapolis Colts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the Pats would have to grab ONE of these guys. The only thing I can think is that either the Patriots are planning something or think someone on their roster is about to take a big step forward.They have a TON of cap room left and they always spend to the cap...but who's left to spend it on? Ty Law is the only guy I can think of. I'd love to have him back, but he doesn't play LB.

I would think that Ryan Claridge and Tully Banta-Cain are the guys to step up this year. I dont know much about Claridge but Banta-Cain has talent. I would not be surprised to see him take over McGinests role allowing the Pats to use Vrabel inside as well as outside this season.

Users who are viewing this thread