What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** New England Patriot Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

nerangers

Footballguy
Hi NE Fans,

Didn't see a drafting thread, so I thought I would get one started.

Still listening to the Rumors about Javon Walker...

Let's keep it all posted here guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick 21: Laurence Maroney, RB

Strengths:

A big play threat who can take it the distance from any point on the field...Has been extremely productive at the college level...Patient runner with excellent vision and instincts...Does a good job of following his blockers...Explosive with a strong lower body and the ability to break tackles...Has an extra gear and is much faster than his forty time would lead you to believe...Can also return kicks.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't have the size you would like to see in a feature back...Hands are questionable at best and he was not used much as a receiver in college...Isn't a physical runner and prefers to shy away from contact...Plays in a system that is conducive to running backs producing big numbers...Didn't carry the load until the '05 season after splitting time with Marion Barber III...Hails from a program known for great college runners who failed to make much of an impact in the pros.

Notes:

A prolific college running back who might not be quite the pro prospect his press clippings would lead you to believe...There is a lot to like about this guy, but when you factor in his size, receiving abilities and the system he plays in there are certainly some things that will concern you as well...Let the buyer beware.

dang I may have to stop hating on the Pats and start liking them after they took my boy from the University of Minnesota

Surprised by the pick. Figured BB and SP would go with the 'RB value later' theory. Like it better than any of the WRs, but I bought into Borges this morning and thought they would take the C out of OSU or one of the available DBs.

Laurence Maroney NFL Bio

STRONG POINTS

Maroney is a very good athlete with the ability to be a strong and dominant runner when he runs aggressively. When he lowers his shoulder, he can punish tacklers and drags them for extra yards -- Keeps feet vs. hard hits and low/grab tackles. He has very good instincts and vision and has the foot quickness to make sharp cuts and gets through the hole fast. He has good hands catching the ball out of the backfield and his combination of athleticism, size, strength and quickness make him a strong and dangerous runner out in the open field.

WEAKNESSES

Maroney does not run aggressively on every snap, which limits his production. When there is no hole he tends to slow up, turns back and goes down easily. Too often he runs upright, does not attack the small hole and does not run aggressively on every carry. When he does not run aggressively, he does not break tackles and struggles to consistently gain yards after contact. He is not an elusive make-you-miss runner. He has a quick burst through the hole, but lacks the explosiveness through the hole and does not have the elite speed to run away from defenses. He is not a consistently productive pass blocker because he does not always step up and pick up blitzers aggressively.

from Boston.com

Maroney's fit

Whether Laurence Maroney is the right pick for the Patriots at No. 21 will be determined over time. But here are some of the factors that probably led the team to the decision.

Starting running back Corey Dillon turns 32 on Oct. 24.

Change-of-pace running back Kevin Faulk turns 31 on June 5.

Third-string running back Patrick Pass is 28.

Simply put, the team is long in the tooth at the running back position and the 21-year-old Maroney, who took a pre-draft visit to Gillette Stadium, injects some youth to the position.

Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to mention the word "production" when speaking of the 5-foot-11, 211-pound Maroney, who was one of the bigger backs in the draft. Some of the key stats:

* Started 14 of 36 games and rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons.

* Ranks second in the Minnesota record books with 3,933 yards and 32 touchdowns on 660 rushing attempts.

* In 710 plays, totaled 4,797 all-purpose yards, the second-best total in school history.

Belichick's take

Patriots coach Bill Belichick (dressed in a navy suit and green tie) just held a press conference following the selection of running back Laurence Maroney.

He opened with the following remarks:

“First of all, we’ve got a lot of media inquiries on Javon Walker and I’ll say one thing, I’ve haven’t talked to, or seen, Javon Walker. Other than that, I don’t really have anything else to say about it. In terms of the first pick, the way that the players came off the board this year, I thought we had good value with Laurence there. We obviously had high grades on him, he’s a very productive player.

“We started off scouting him kind of indirectly last year when we were watching Marion Barber. He’s been a very productive player for Minnesota, both running the ball and kickoff returns. He brings an element of speed and certainly youth to the position. I like our backs, I like the production we had from Kevin [Faulk], Patrick [Pass] and Corey [Dillon], but in terms of experience, they’re all up there -- 7-, 8-plus years -- and we feel like it’s good to have a young player to work with. But more importantly Laurence was the best value on the board at that point, so that’s what we decided to do.”

Pats move up to #36 - WR Chad Jackson! :thumbup:

Strengths:

Has excellent size...Is an outstanding natural athlete...Has very good speed and quickness...Is explosive with a burst...Runs well after the catch and in the open field...Has solid and reliable hands...Runs good routes...An excellent leaper...Not afraid to work the middle of the field...Can be a vertical threat...A weapon in the red zone...Has not yet reached his full potential and still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Didn't really emerge as a top threat until just this past season...Basically only has one year of starting experience...Needs to get stronger...Is not very physical or aggressive...Can improve as a blocker...Was not a major deep threat as a junior...For the most part the recent top Gator wide receiver prospects (Travis Taylor, Reidel Anthony, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, etc.) have disappointed.

Notes:

Was an elite recruit coming out of the high school ranks...Saw his yards per catch average drop from 22.3 in 2004 to 10.2 in 2005 but that was mainly a product of Urban Meyer's offense and keep in mind that he caught more balls (29 in '04 to 88 in '05) and touchdowns (6 to 9) as a junior...A well-rounded and talented prospect who possesses all the physical tools you look for in a #1 NFL wideout.

great move by them and screwed Den... who probably would have been lining up for Jackson! top RB and WR... nice draft again for the Pats!

Looks like it was for their second round pick (#52) and Third round pick (#75)

I like the move....not like we don't have a few extra picks...

Looks like we don't pick again till third round (#86)

More info from Boston.com

Details of the Patriots' trade for the 36th pick of the draft:

* The Patriots give up a second-round pick (52nd) and a third-round pick (75th) to the Packers for No. 36.

The Patriots still have a third-round pick, No. 86.

On the value chart used by some teams for trading draft picks, the No. 36 pick carried a value of 540 points. The No. 52 and No. 75 picks have a combined value of 595.

I like the Jackson move/pick. As it turns out, they passed on him at #21 and took a higher rated player for them at that time (Maroney), and still ended up with 2 very solid picks. I wasn't sure how I felt about the Maroney pick at first, but I certainly like it now.

From Boston.com

Belichick's take

Complete transcript of Bill Belichick's press conference with the New England media after the team selected Laurence Maroney in the first round:

Opening statement:

"Good afternoon. It seems like we're at it a little bit earlier than we usually are on draft day. First of all, we've had a lot of media inquiries about Javon Walker and I will just say one thing. I have not talked to or seen Javon Walker. Other than that, I really don't have anything else to say about it. In terms of the first pick, the way the players came off the board this year I thought that we had good value with Laurence [Maroney] there. We obviously had high grades on him. He's been a very productive player. We started off scouting him kind of indirectly last year when we were watching Marion Barber. He's been a very productive player for Minnesota, both running the ball and kickoff returns. I think that he brings an element of speed and certainly youth to the position. I like our backs. I like the production that we've had from Kevin [Faulk], Patrick [Pass], and Corey [Dillon], but in terms of experience they are all up there, seven, eight plus years and we really feel like it's good to have a young player to work with, but more importantly Laurence was the best value on the board at that point and so that's what we decided to do. As usual, there are always options at that pick, but in the end we felt like Laurence was the best addition to our team so that's why we selected him. That's where we are."

His numbers in the passing game improved dramatically this year. Does that speak to his versatility? Is that what made him so attractive to you?

"I think he is a versatile player. I think he has good skill. Last year when Barber was there, when they were in a lot of their one-back sets, they split Barber out of the backfield and Laurence was the running back. This year, with Barber gone, he became the split-out, flexed-out guy, different, but similar to the Carnell Williams/Ronnie Brown situation at Auburn last year. Minnesota does that. They've had pretty good backs up there and a lot of times they have two backs in the backfield, but a lot of times they have one of those guys detached. This year, Laurence was more the detached back. Last year Marion Barber was more the detached guy. So I think the scheme has a little bit to do with his production this year in the passing game."

Were there any concerns about his ability to carry the load?

"He's been carrying it."

Nine straight defensive players went off the board before you made your pick. Because it would have been the fifth linebacker or the fifth defensive lineman, did you pick the second best running back on the board because you would have been dropping down?

"Well, again, we really can't control what comes off the board before us and where those players ranked with other teams and within the league is outside of our control. We just look at our board and go based on value and how we think the player will come in and contribute to our football team on a going-forward basis. That's really what drove the decision. I don't know what other players would have been up there that would have made it different. They weren't there, so it was never really part of the consideration."

What do you like about him the most as a running back? He doesn't seem like the fastest guy.

"He's pretty fast. I don't think you're going to be writing that this guy is slow."

What did you like about him the most?

"He's been a productive player for them. He's been a very productive player. He has ability to make long runs. He plays with good strength for his size. He's 217 or whatever. He probably may play a little bigger now, I don't know, but not a lot. I think he has good playing strength. He has good speed and he's been a guy that's been productive. He's been very productive for them."

How did he rank against other backs that were available on the board?

"I don't know. It doesn't really make any difference. He's what he is. They're what they are and he's a Patriot. So we are going to use him in our system based on his strengths and what we ask our backs to do."

How does he compare grade-wise to your other backs? Is his style like Dillon's?

"I think it's different than Dillon's. Dillon is bigger. Maroney is probably faster."

Is there any back similar to him?

"I don't know. I'm sure there are."

What type of impact do you think he can come in here and make? Will it be immediate?

"Well, I don't know. I think he can make a positive impact and contribution, but we'll have to see how all of that plays out. We've never had him in our system obviously. We'll just have to see how he comes in and learns it and once we work with him how quickly he picks up the things we ask him to do and where that fits in, I don't know. That will be up to him and what his performance level is for our team and relative to the other people that he's competing with. That's the same for everybody."

Was there a game that he played in last year that really stood out to you?

"I think he had quite a few good games. I don't think it's just one. He's been a productive guy for them and he had several games where he has ... I don't think he'll have a problem. Take a look at the Purdue game. There's quite a few of them."

Was pass protection an issue at all because he played in such a ground-based offense?

"I think pass protection is probably an issue for just about every back coming into the National Football League. It's different and we'll have a lot more protections than what Minnesota ran. They were more of a play-action team, although they had some drop back. I think he's big enough and stout enough, but he'll need work on pass protection. He'll need work on everything just like every rookie will."

Were you contacted at all by anyone about any trades?

"There are pretty much always options on that. We decided to stay where we were and pick Maroney."

Does he have a pretty good work ethic?

"I think he has good intangibles. Yes. He's a smart kid. He works hard. He's durable. He's been a good, solid guy. He does a lot of things well and still has a lot of work to do. Believe me, I don't think anybody comes into this league as a finished product. He's certainly in that category. There's a lot of things that he'll need to improve on and work on, but we think he can do them and contribute."

Anything surprise you at all with the way the first round has unfolded?

"I don't know. I didn't have any great expectations one way or the other. I think it's a hard thing to predict. So, you just let people make their decisions and their picks and evaluate the board either as it's going, if you want to try to move, or what's there when it's your opportunity to make a selection."

Do you anticipate using him on kickoff return and to return punts?

"If he's good enough he'll have an opportunity to. It comes down to, just like everybody else, however well they perform and whatever role they can create for themselves, that's what every new player would have. That goes for everybody. Any new player coming on our team, they'll have to establish it for themselves. It's no different than anybody else. [Logan] Mankins. Ty Warren. [Richard] Seymour. They're all the same. Whatever role a player can establish for himself on the team, that's what he can establish. It's the same for everybody. I can't tell you exactly what anybody is going to do. I wish I could, but you give people the opportunity and let them perform their skills and evaluate them relative to what you're asking a guy to do in a competition at his position or on the team and go from there. It's the same for everybody. It doesn't matter who it is."

How big of an issue was the other backs' age (on the roster)?

"It wasn't a big issue. I'm saying I think you want to have young players at every position to work with. That's something you always want on your team. That wasn't what drove the pick. What drove the pick was the value of the player relative to the other players on the board and for our system. That's not to say they aren't other good players on the board that are going to play well in the league. There's plenty of them, but for what we need and what we ask our players to do, we felt like he had the best value on the board so that's why we selected him."

How is Corey Dillon doing? Is he training here?

"I talked to Corey. I've talked to him today and I think he understands and I explained to him what the situation was and all of that. We expect Corey to be ready to go. I'm sure that he will be. He's a professional. He's been a very productive player for us and we expect Corey to have major contributions for us this year as we do Kevin and Patrick. I think our backs are talented. I think they've been productive for us and I expect them to continue to be."

It's interesting that you called him today. Did you feel like he deserved to know what you guys were doing?

"I talked to most all of our players. Whatever our conversations are between a player and coach are player and coach conversations."

Is it standard to call players when you are drafting someone at their position?

"I talk to players all the time. Why would I not talk to them?"

Did you talk to [Russ] Hochstein and Steve Neal before you drafted Logan Mankins last year?

"They were actually here."

More on Jackson

Some quick hits on receiver Chad Jackson, who took a pre-draft visit to Gillette Stadium:

* 6-feet, 202 pounds

* 21 years old

* Leaves school after junior season

* Blazing speed in the 40-yard dash at 4.35

* In 30 career games, totaled 120 catches for 1,586 yards (13.2 avg.) and 16 touchdowns

* Breakout season as a junior in 2005 with 88 catches for 900 yards (10.2 avg.) and nine touchdowns.

NERangers, you get my vote for poster of the year. Thanks for all your work in this and the preview thread!

So, we get the second RB chosen and the second WR chosen. Not too bad. I hope that Jackson is better than other UF WRs.

My take so far:

- Was really disappointed when Dallas took Carpenter, but I had a good idea they would.

- Was shocked when the Patriots took a RB and disappointed it wasn't Williams. That said, I always knew Maroney was more of Patriot style back. I'm coming around on him.

- I love the move to go up and get Chad Jackson.

- Overall, I think they've done a pretty good job in the first two rounds. I hope they can find away to get some immediate impact players on defense to fill the big whole at LB (who is our 4th LB right now? Biesel probably) and the smaller one in the secondary.

- My dream: Trade for Donnie Edwards and resign Ty Law (who Seattle probably won't sign now that they got a CB in the 1st round).

In Bill We Trust

Pats have done very well in this draft. Congrats, looking forward to kicking there tails in the playoffs. :boxing:

I was big on the Pats getting Williams, but I am settling in on Maroney as well...He does seem like a better fit for the Patriots type of play. I think if anyone can motivate a rookie to do his best, it is Coach B. I think the durability issues are what kept Williams lower on the Patriots board, where Maroney has been known to play hurt.

To think everyone thought the Pats would have to move up to get Jackson. When they had him in I couldn't figure out why because I didn't think the Pats would move up in the first to take him. I think he will complement Branch well. I think it will end up WR 1a and WR 1b. I good replacement for Givens.

I saw how late Marshall went in the second round, and Ryans is off the board as well. I was surprised to see my sleeper in Danieal Manning go so early in the draft. I really thought the Pats would get him at the 86th pick.

from Boston.com

Maroney Q&A

Q&A from a conference call with Patriots first-round pick Laurence Maroney from Saturday at Gillette Stadium:

Welcome to New England, Laurence.

"I'm glad to be there."

Were you surprised at the selection?

"I don't know. It was just a blessing. It was a great feeling to see New England pick me."

Give us your impression of the Patriots and what you know of the organization and the team.

"I feel they have a great, great team going on right now. They have a nice little dynasty they started and they just have great players and a great coaching staff. I'm fortunate to come into a great situation."

For people who haven't seen you play, can you compare yourself to someone who is in the NFL right now?

"I'd have to say in the NFL my style is somewhat like Edgerrin James."

Who [from the Patriots] called you and what did they say?

"Actually I was in the bathroom."

[Laughter].

My sister had my phone and one of the little kids ran into the bathroom and said 'The phone is for you' and I picked up the phone and the guy was like, 'We're on the clock right now. We're thinking about drafting you. How do you feel about that?' It caught me off guard.

So did they tell you they were going to draft you?

"He just said 'Stay on hold. We're thinking about drafting you, so stay on hold.' I was on hold for a minute and I was just looking at the TV screen and there were a lot of commercials on, so they must have been talking about it. Then he came back and [Coach Belichick] came on and was just breaking it down to me, you know, 'We drafted for you to come in and compete and help the team out.' And he was like 'How do you feel about being a Patriot?' And I said, 'I feel good about it.' Then it came across the TV that New England drafted me and it was a great feeling."

Was it at all frustrating over the last three years that you always had to split carries and that you maybe could have won a Heisman if you hadn't?

"I never looked at it like that because I am a team player first of all. I want to come in and help the team win in any way possible. I don't mind coming off the bench and helping the team. I don't need to be in the spotlight. I just want to help the team win. In the situation with me and Marion [barber], we both knew that we could bring something different to the table and we could both help the team win. We never once complained about who was getting the ball more, because I always felt like it's what you do with the carries you do get. And I felt like if I can be productive with the carries I do get and I help the team win, then I'm happy."

What has coach told you about your upcoming role this fall?

"He just basically told me he was bringing me in to compete and that's all I can do. Just give me the opportunity -- that's all I ask for -- to compete and at least show what I can do on the next level and that's basically what the Patriots [did is] brought me in to compete."

How do you feel about your ability to block blitzing linebackers? Where do you think you are in terms of your progress of sticking your nose in and doing that job?

"I'd say I'm very good with sticking my nose in now. I'd say the main thing that I have to learn is better technique. I feel like sometimes my technique is not the best but I've never had a problem with sticking my nose in there."

Bill Belichick was talking about how the scheme for you is a little different this year with the opportunity to catch a lot more passes.

"That was never an issue for me. There were a lot of questions --people always wanted to ask -- can I catch the ball? I feel really comfortable catching the ball. I feel I have good hands. It was just a situation that [running backs] weren't used as a receiver in the passing offense at the University of Minnesota. I know I can catch. I feel really comfortable about catching."

What about playing with Tom Brady?

"He's a great quarterback. I'll love to play with him. I feel like I can get along well with him. I met him when I came down to visit. He was a great guy."

There were some concerns about the pad level you play at, that maybe you run a little too standing up. Are you going to work on that or do you think that's just the way you run and you're going to stick to it?

"I feel like I run low at times. A lot of times ... It's something that, I always feel like there is always room for improvement. I'm not the best that I can be right now. There's always room for improvement. If they feel like I'm running too high, yes I can improve on that if it's going to help better me."

What type of pre-draft interaction did you have with the Patriots and Coach Belichick?

"I met him at the combine and then I met him again once I took a visit out there. He was just a great guy. We had a great conversation. He was just basically talking about football and how I feel -- like do I see myself fitting in this offense. And I feel like I fit real well into this offense."

Did [Minnesota grad assistant] Ben [McDaniels] tell you anything about [Offensive Coordinator] Josh McDaniels' offense up here?

"I met him once. His brother coached the defense at my college so I met him once. He came to visit me after my combine and he worked me out a little bit and we sat down and talked football, so I really got a feeling about the Patriots offense."

What were your expectations coming into today? Did you expect to be the second back drafted?

"To tell you the truth, I really didn't. I try not to read and see what people say on the Internet, but the whole time I was fluctuating between the third and fourth running back taken. It was just basically coming in I was going to be the third or fourth back taken so I was just sitting patiently."

What changes do you expect to see in the pro game coming from such a ground-based offense in Minnesota?

"I don't see me making too big of a change, because sitting down... when I had a meeting with Coach McDaniels, I felt like the offense was almost somewhat alike. It was worded differently, there were little small differences, but I feel like I can learn from camp and just practicing."

When you thought about where you might go, was this the kind of team that you wanted?

"I didn't really know where I was going to go. I had no clue where I was going to end up. That's why I was excited, just to see where I was going to end up. This offense and this team, I feel like it was a perfect fit for me."

Who were some of the teams that showed an interest in you?

"Denver called a lot and showed a lot of interest. The Ravens. Jacksonville. The Vikings. A lot of teams showed a lot of interest. I figured that one of them might get me, but once they picked I was like, 'I really didn't know where I'm going to end up.'

Were you a Rams fan?

"I'm definitely a Rams fan just because it's my hometown team."

Were you a little bit upset at the Super Bowl a few years ago?

"I felt like they gave the game away."

[Laughter]

You played many of your games in a dome stadium, and college teams don't play in January unless they're in a bowl game in a warm weather climate. It's very cold here in the late season. How do you think you'll adjust to that?

"I feel like ... I had to go to class in this cold weather, so I ... there were a couple of games in the Big 10 we had outside in the cold weather, and so it shouldn't be a problem. I've been in the cold weather the last three years so I'm pretty much used to it."

What's the biggest thing you think you have to learn?

"Basically just the offense. They call things differently and do things a lot different. I basically just need to learn the offense and just watch the older folks and learn from them."

Did you talk to any Patriots running backs when you were in town on your visit?

"I didn't see any of them."

Do you think you can come in and contribute as a returner right away?

"I feel like I can. I played returner my first year and all three years that I was at the University of Minnesota. I felt like I did fairly good. I feel like I can come in right away and help somewhere."

How did you choose Minnesota coming from St. Louis?

"I never watched sports and I just said I needed to pick a team and I didn't know where to start. I felt like I needed to pick a team close to home, so Illinois was the pick for me. But when I was getting recruited by Illinois, Minnesota came into the picture and I always wanted to go to a school that played Ohio State. I always wanted to go to Illinois, but then once they dropped my scholarship I figured I needed to go to a school that played Illinois and Ohio State, so Minnesota was the best fit for me."

You sound like someone who is very confident.

"I have a lot of confidence. I feel like given the opportunity and the chance I can prove that I can play this sport."

One of your better games last year was against Ohio State. Do you get motivated by playing certain teams?

"I get motivated every game. Every game is the same to me; I go out there and do my best. But when it's a bigger game, like Ohio State, it gets your energy level that much higher. They were coming into the game as one of the top rated rushing defenses and everybody was saying Ohio State was going to stop the rush, so I was just trying so hard to prove to everybody that we could run on anybody."

You had a reputation at Minnesota as a loud, funny guy. How do you feel like you'll fit in a pro locker room?

"I feel like I will fit well. I feel like I bring a lot of energy to a team. I'm just an outgoing person. I just like to have fun and play football."

You have a couple of interesting nicknames: Lo-Mo and Koolaid?

"Those were the names that I had."

How did you get the name Koolaid?

"It was the name given to me when I was in the first or second grade that I got... and it just stuck with me ever since."

How do you feel about competing with Corey Dillon for the starting job here?

"I feel good about it. I feel like competition only brings the best out of everybody so I feel like competing against him -- because he's a great player and I feel like I can be a great player one day -- so I feel like competition is the best thing for me."

The last time the Patriots selected a running back in the first round was Robert Edwards. Are you planning on playing any flag football contests in the next few months?

"No, I don't plan on doing any of that."

You fumbled the ball twice last year. Have you always had the ability to hold onto the ball, or is that an area you improved in over time?

"In three years, out of 600-and-something carries, I only fumbled four times in my career, so I feel like I got a pretty good grip on the ball."

Did you want to go to Ohio State?

"I always wanted to go to Ohio State because half my family is from Ohio and I always wanted to play for the home team, but during the recruiting process Ohio State didn't send a letter, so I feel like they missed out on a good running back."

from boston.com

Jackson Q&A

Chad Jackson held a conference call with the New England media and revealed an interesting part of the Patriots’ scouting process. Jackson said the Patriots showed him parts of the team’s offense, and then quizzed him on it when he visited Gillette Stadium in following weeks.

The Q&A:

The Patriots showed an intense interest in you. How did the courtship go and the interest from Coach Belichick and Coach [Josh] McDaniels [offensive coordinator]?

“Everything went well with me and Coach Belichick. I think we hit it off pretty well. And also the wide receivers coach [brian Daboll], they had me learn a little bit of the offense before I came up. I was real comfortable learning the offense and breaking it down to them. The coaches, I think I can play under those guys. I feel really comfortable coming to Boston.”

Was there disappointment being picked in the second round?“There was a little disappointment, but I was lucky to get picked high in the second round. That’s pretty good also. I was just thankful to get picked.”

What kind of insight did coach [urban] Meyer give you on Coach Belichick?“I didn’t really talk to Coach Meyer about Coach Belichick. But when [belichick] came down [on a scouting trip], he said he is a real hard-nosed guy, a real quiet guy sometimes. But on the field, he can be a loud guy.”

You come from two unique systems, a spread your first two years and kind of a spread option last year. A lot of receivers have struggled going from those type of offenses into the pros. What is the challenge coming into the NFL?

“The challenge for me is [playing at] another level. Like I said, there are guys with the same speed as you, or the same athletic ability as you, or better than you. You have to have confidence that you can go out and compete with those guys. I feel like I’m one of those guys who can go out and compete and help out the New England Patriots this coming season.”

Did you mention that the Patriots gave you a little bit of their offense to learn, and then you came back up here and showed them how you processed it?“Yeah, they gave me a little bit, and I came back up there and broke it down to them and read it back to them on the board and film room.”

Was that unique? Did other teams do that with you?“No, that was the only team that did that. I felt like they were pretty interested. I had at least about 4-5 meetings with the Patriots. I was feeling pretty good on all the visits.”

How did that work, did Belichick come down to Florida rip out a page out of their playbook?“No, when the Patriots first came down to Florida, they just worked me out that day and got me on the board. We went through some coverages. I worked with the receivers coach [brian Daboll] and the offensive coordinator [Josh McDaniels] and they gave me a couple of formations that they ran. It was sort of similar to Florida, and what we used to run. It was kind of the same thing, and I broke it down to them, learned it, and read it back to them.”

When you came back up to Foxborough for a pre-draft visit, did they re-quiz you?

“Yeah, they re-quizzed me on that.”

Did you think the Patriots would take you at No. 21?“I thought they were. I thought I’d be the first receiver taken.”

Did they give you the idea you’ve be the pick at No. 21?“They didn’t give me the idea, but when you meet with a team four or five times, you think they’re really interested in you and they’re probably going to get you. On draft day, everything changes.”

Did the Patriots show the most interest?“I think so. The Patriots and the Dolphins.”

What went into your decision to come out after your junior season?“I feel like I was one of the top receivers coming out in this year’s draft, with Sinorice Moss and Antonio Holmes. I tied the [Florida] receiving record for most catches in a season. I just felt like I was ready for the next step, the next level.”

Urban Meyer is known for his offseason workouts and his gut-check drills. Do you think you learned something from him work-ethic wise that will carry well into the pros?

"Yeah, I learned a lot from Coach Meyer, on the field and off the field. He talked a lot about character, and I think that helped a lot of guys on the team."

How familiar are you with the Patriots' receiver situation?

"I'm familiar with it, I know [David] Givens left and the only go-to receiver they have right now is Deion Branch. The Patriots feel like I can come in on the other side and help out."

How does it feel like to know you'll play with Tom Brady?

"It feels real good. A guy who won three Super Bowls and a great quarterback who has done a lot for the New England Patriots. Hopefully I can catch a couple balls, a couple touchdowns from him."

My take so far:

- Was really disappointed when Dallas took Carpenter, but I had a good idea they would.

- Was shocked when the Patriots took a RB and disappointed it wasn't Williams. That said, I always knew Maroney was more of Patriot style back. I'm coming around on him.

- I love the move to go up and get Chad Jackson.

- Overall, I think they've done a pretty good job in the first two rounds. I hope they can find away to get some immediate impact players on defense to fill the big whole at LB (who is our 4th LB right now? Biesel probably) and the smaller one in the secondary.

- My dream: Trade for Donnie Edwards and resign Ty Law (who Seattle probably won't sign now that they got a CB in the 1st round).

In Bill We Trust
Would you mind expanding on this? I've not seen Maroney and/or Williams enough to have formed a solid enough opinion.

My take so far:

- Was shocked when the Patriots took a RB and disappointed it wasn't Williams.  That said, I always knew Maroney was more of Patriot style back.  I'm coming around on him.
Would you mind expanding on this? I've not seen Maroney and/or Williams enough to have formed a solid enough opinion.
Williams is a shifty, cut-back style runner who likes to bounce things outside a lot. Maroney, while not a power-back per se, is a little bit bigger and will run "down hill" more often.

I think the Pats just reached...I did not have him on my Radar...

Pick #86 - DAVE THOMAS, TE

Thomas was a frustrating player to evaluate because he has many of the receiving skills that is wanted in a tight end, but he lacks the all-around skills and athleticism to be an impact player in the NFL. He has decent height for a tight end, but is thin and lacks the bulk and size to effectively block in line and does not have the athleticism to adjust and maintain his blocks in space. Thomas has shown the ability to get through to the second level to seal block the linebacker inside on outside runs when he has a clear path, but when he has to chip a defensive lineman first, Thomas struggles to get to the second level in time. He is a smart and instinctive receiver that runs sharp routes, uses his body well against defenders and has the good hands to make tough catches consistently. He runs very aggressively after the catch and will lower a shoulder and deliver a blow to tackler -- consistently gains yards after contact. He is not an explosive player with a lack of burst off the ball and cannot get separation in routes. Thomas' lack of burst and speed makes him a good short-yardage receiving threat that lacks big-play ability. One added bonus is that Thomas has experience playing on special teams coverage units and has done a good job of making tackles. Overall, Thomas looks to be a backup tight end at best. He will contribute as a receiver on short and medium routes, in the red zone and as a special teams player, but he will never be a big-play threat as a receiver and will only be an adeqate blocker. In the end, Thomas will be a valuable backup tight end whose hands enable him to contribute as a receiver.

I'm not surprised by a TE. There was a bit of a run on LBs in the 15 or so picks before they went and that probably didn't leave much on their board so they went BPA.

That said, I am concerned about the state of the Pats D, especially the LB corps. Right now, I only see 3 starting LBS on the team (Bruschi, Vrabel, and Colvin). That means we REALLY need Montey Biesel, Ryan Claridge or Tully Banta-Cain to take a MAJOR step forward. I'm not TOO concerned about the DBs (although when Richard Marshall started to slide, I really hoped they'd find a way to trade back into the 2nd round...would have cost them a future pick, though). We've got volume at least with Samuels, Hobbs, Warfield, Gay, etc...

I know I mentioned it before, but Donnie Edwards (via trade) and Ty Law would be huge for this in 2006.

Personally, I think this pick could have waited...

He was not even on the Top 300 list I have been using...

Really going to have to search for info on this one...

I trust the Pats, but with players that are probably on no ones radar, why do you have to reach? They have two fourth round picks tomorrow...

They probably could have moved up and gotten Pope...

still a little shock here....not because of who they got, because I trust the Pats brain trust...it is just where they take these guys at.

OOOPS - should have searched under David Thomas, and not Dave Thomas!! LOL

Strengths:

Has very good hands...Runs excellent routes...Will make the tough catch and the ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls...Pretty good natural athlete with fine quickness...Plays faster than he times and sported an impressive yards per catch average in college...Is a threat in the red zone and has a knack for catching touchdowns...Smart and knows how to get open...Has a lot of experience and good intangibles...Productive and was Vince Young's favorite target in Austin.

Weaknesses:

Does not have the size or bulk you look for...Lacks elite timed speed and won't stretch the field...Is not a great blocker...Needs to get much stronger...Has trouble beating the jam...Does not have a lot of upside...Skill set will not be a good fit for every team and he will need to be in the right system to succeed.

Notes:

Has the looks of an H-Back or pass catching specialist at the next level...In the right situation he could be a nice weapon in the short passing game but size and speed limitations will always hold him back and put boundaries around his role.

i loved their draft up until this pick-wish they had traded down rather than grabbing a tight end they don't need. and even if they really wanted him they could have got him later!

But we'll all have a good spicy chicken sandwich.

TE seems like the last position we really needed to address. I was hoping for a first-day LB or DB. Any on the radar for early Sunday?

I really was hoping the Pats would have taken Darnell Bing with that pick...he is sliding down this draft...

I am still just shaking my head....I don't think anyone would have stolen David Thomas from them before they pick in the next round. There were still some great players dropping in the draft...

Waiting all that time from pick 36 to 86 seems like a letdown...could have read it in the paper tomorrow... :loco:

Well at least this tidbit brough the blood back to my face...

Good news for Pats

Paul Perillo, 5:00 pm

Seattle taking Kelly Jennings is a good thing for the Patriots. The Seahawks were interested in Ty Law (even though they've publicly stated they were backing off). My moles in Seattle told me about a week before the draft that if they got a corner in the first round it might take them out of the Law running. This could mean the Patriots would have a much better chance to get Law if they so choose.

Last year, Brady led the league in passing. This year, he loses his #1 receiver, but replaces him with the 2nd WR off the board, Caldwell, yet another receiving TE, and a the second running back off the board. I think they've made this team a contender for this year, but are looking really strong 2-3 years out.

Seattle taking Kelly Jennings is a good thing for the Patriots. The Seahawks were interested in Ty Law (even though they've publicly stated they were backing off). My moles in Seattle told me about a week before the draft that if they got a corner in the first round it might take them out of the Law running. This could mean the Patriots would have a much better chance to get Law if they so choose.
This would be great news.

More on David Thomas: (from Patriots.com)

For the final pick of the first day, No. 86 overall, New England looked to the defending national champion Texas Longhorns and Thomas. The 6-3, 246-pound Longhorn started for three of his four seasons in Texas catching 88 passes for 1,279 yards with 15 touchdowns in 50 games. He had his best season as a senior in 2005 with 40 catches for 525 yards with five scores.

“This is a blessing to have this opportunity and I couldn’t think of a better place to go than New England,” Thomas said of his selection.

New England’s propensity for two tight-end sets makes Thomas an immediate candidate to contribute. With just two returning tight ends on the roster, Daniel Graham and Benjamin Watson, Thomas should fill the team’s third tight end slot vacated by Christian Fauria. And with Graham headed toward 2007 free agency Thomas could be more than that in the future.

“They use the tight end a lot and they expect a lot out of them,” Thomas said. “It’s a situation where I’ll be utilized.”

Thomas could also be an immediate contributor on special teams, as he was for four years at Texas. In fact he believes that “tight ends should be on special teams.”

As the Thomas pick suggests, combined with Maroney and Jackson, with the three picks the Patriots added youth, competition and depth to the offensive side of the football Saturday. And with seven picks set to make throughout the remainder of the draft on Sunday there’s a good chance the team will turn its attention toward the defensive side of the ball to help check off even more of the needs the team had heading into draft weekend.

Even more on Thomas (trying to make myself feel better about the early pick of him)

Thomas was clearly a value pick with tight end not being a huge need. But Belichick often says that in order to run a two-tight end offense you need at least three serviceable tight ends. With Christian Fauria lost to free agency, the Patriots needed a third to join Benjamin Watson and Daniel Graham. And with the depth at wide receiver lacking, even with the addition of Jackson, tight ends could be a big part of the offense in 2006.

Another factor to consider is the pending free agency of Graham, who will be unrestricted after the season. If Thomas, who was very productive with the Longhorns, pans out he could give the Patriots leverage in their potential negotiations with Graham.

LETS GET READY FOR DAY 2!!

Day 2 possibilities for the Pats Tom Casale, Patriots Football Weekly

The Patriots had a successful first day of the draft but they still have more work to do. Here are some of the best players still available heading into Sunday.

The Patriots went with two skill position players in the first 36 picks of the draft. They selected running back Laurence Maroney to be Corey Dillon’s heir apparent with the 21st selection and then traded up in the second round to grab Florida’s Chad Jackson with the 36th pick. Both players have top 15 talent and should be able to come in and help the Patriots in their first season.

In the third round, the Patriots stayed on the offensive side of the ball and took their annual tight end in Texas’ David Thomas. Thomas is a good pass catching tight end who should be able to come in and fill the void left by Christian Fauria. He could also be groomed to take over for Daniel Graham – who is a free agent after the 2006 season.

Day 2 of the Patriots draft will most likely see the team switch gears and focus on the defensive side of the ball. Linebacker, defensive back and nose tackle are positions the team will most likely target on Sunday.

While the Patriots are off to a fast start, strong teams are built in the middle rounds of the draft. Here are the best players available at positions the Patriots should be focusing on tomorrow.

Receiver

Even though the Patriots selected Jackson with their second selection, they could still use one more receiver on Day 2, especially one with the versatility to be a kick returner as well.

Skyler Green, LSU – The Patriots were able to steal Jackson – arguably the best receiver in this draft – but they still need to upgrade their return game. Green can be a Dante Hall-type player where he can play some slot receiver and be an explosive kick returner. Green should be selected in the fourth or fifth round area and since the Patriots have really tried to improve their special teams this offseason, he’s is a possibility to join his cousin Jarvis in New England.

Mike Hass, Oregon State - Hass is a smart receiver who can pick up the Patriots system quickly and contribute as a slot receiver in his first year. He’s the type of player who will earn Tom Brady’s trust quickly with his soft hands and ability to get open. Hass isn’t going to wow you when you look at him but he’s one of those guys that understands how to play the game of football and is very comfortable on the field. He would be a nice compliment to Deion Branch and Chad Jackson as a possession receiver and could fill the void left by Troy Brown once he retires.

Todd Watkins, BYU – Watkins is a tall receiver who is a big-time deep threat. He scored 15 touchdowns in two seasons at BYU, despite the team’s inconsistent play at the quarterback position. He has very good hands and a knack of making tough catches look easy. Watkins readjusts well to the ball and made a lot of acrobatic catches in college. He needs work on his route running and with his slim build he doesn’t break a lot of tackles. Watkins is raw and probably won’t contribute much as a receiver in his first season but he can be a dangerous return man because of his speed and elusiveness in the open field.

Offensive Line

The Patriots used two of their first three selections last year on offensive linemen but they can still use some depth, especially at guard and center. Here are a couple of players who have the athletic ability and versatility the Patriots like out of their linemen.

Jahri Evans (G), Bloomsburg – A big lineman with a huge wingspan. His long arms allow him to fight off defenders. Evans is versatile: he can play either guard or tackle in the NFL. Absolutely dominated at the small college level and is a punishing run blocker. He’ll probably play guard in the NFL because he’s a Larry Allen-type mauler inside. Evans is raw and needs work on his technique but he’s one of those small school players who could end up dominating in the pros with a good offensive line coach like Dante Scarnecchia.

Ryan Gibbons (OT), Northeastern – A local product who is a smart player and got better every year he was at Northeastern. Plays with a mean streak and has the attitude and athleticism a lineman needs to dominate. Gibbons is a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker right now but if a team can get a hold of him and improve his footwork, Gibbons could be a late round/undrafted free agent find. He’s the kind of player who has enough skill that a team like the Patriots can mold in two or three years to be a solid starting offensive linemen like they did with Tom Ashworth and Stephen Neal.

Patrick Ross (C/G), Boston College – Ross is another local product the Patriots could be interested in. He’s a smart player who succeeds because he plays with good technique. Dan Koppen is coming off an injury and is a free agent next year, so adding a young center makes sense for the Patriots. Ross would provide depth at the center position and could become an eventual starter in New England. He’s definitely a Patriots-kind of lineman.

Defensive Linemen

The Patriots are pretty set along the defensive line but they could use some depth at nose tackle behind Vince Wilfork. There are still some good defensive tackles left on the board that fit the Patriots system and could be possibilities on the second day. There are also some good DE/OLB tweeners still available who project as edge rushers in the 3-4 defense.

Brent Hawkins (DE), Illinois State – Hawkins began his college career at Purdue before transferring to Illinois State where he was a two-year starter. He dominated at the Division I-AA level, recording 17 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss as a senior. Hawkins has one of the quickest first steps of any player in this draft and that’s something you just can’t teach. He’s so quick off the ball that he looks like he’s offsides most of the time. He played defensive end in college but at 245 pounds, Hawkins projects as a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL. He was the Defensive MVP of the Hula Bowl and with his athletic ability Hawkins has as much upside of any defensive player in this draft. Hawkins isn’t only athletic but he shows good instincts on the field and is also better in coverage than most people would think. Hawkins won’t fit into every scheme but he has the freakish skills to be an impact player in the right system and that system is the one the Patriots run. Give Bill Belichick a guy with Hawkins’ raw physical tools and ability to rush the passer and you could be looking at a Pro Bowler two or three years down the road.

Mark Anderson (DE), Alabama – Anderson really shined at the Senior Bowl. He finished off a great week in Mobile by beating D’Brickashaw Ferguson for a sack during the game. With a lot of the DE/OLB tweeners expected to go high in this draft, Anderson is sort of flying under the radar. Projected to go somewhere in the late first day-early second day area, Anderson’s pass rushing skills are as good as some of the player who will be selected ahead of him. He’s extremely quick off the ball and also shows a nice inside move. Anderson has good instincts and can beat offensive linemen in a variety of ways. He’s only 254 pounds, so there are some concerns about him holding up against the run but he did a pretty good job in that area at Alabama despite his size. Anderson has the ability to play outside in the 3-4 defense, so he’s a possibility for the Patriots if they don’t go linebacker early in the draft.

Babatunde Oshinowo, Stanford – A perfect fit for the Patriots as a backup to Wilfork. Oshinowo has experience playing nose tackle in the 3-4 defense at Stanford and is very stout against the run. He’s a smart player and that allows him to recognize plays and get to the ball carrier despite his lack of quickness. Oshinowo isn’t a great inside pass rusher but neither is Wilfork. In a 3-4 defense, nose tackles need to take on blocks and stuff the run and that’s exactly what Oshinowo excels at. He isn’t as highly regarded because he lacks some of the physical skills teams crave. The Patriots, however, look for players who fit their system and Oshinowo is one of those players. If the Patriots can land Oshinowo on the second day, they will have another steal on their hands.

Montavious Stanley, Louisville – Stanley is an underrated prospect at defensive tackle, probably because Elvis Dumervil overshadowed him at Louisville. While Dumervil got all the sacks, Stanley was a big reason why. He is such a force inside that most teams had to double-team him and that allowed Dumervil to beat one-on-one blocking. Stanley is a powerful run defender who does a really good job at shedding blocks. He tore his pectoral muscle late last season but he appears to be fully recovered. Watching him on tape, he makes a lot of plays in the backfield, especially against the run. At 321 pounds, Stanley has the size and playing style to play nose tackle in the NFL. For a middle-late round pick, Stanley offers a lot of upside and could turn into a really good pro player.

Linebackers

The Patriots decided to focus on the offensive side of the football on the first day of the draft. They were able to land some quality players but they still need to address the linebacker position. Don’t be surprised if they select two linebackers on Day 2 of the draft to build some depth at that position. Of course, players above like Hawkins and Anderson would also be considered as linebackers in the Patriots defensive scheme.

Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – PFW’s top ranked middle linebacker is still on the board and a player we believe the Patriots really like. Hoyte is the most physical player at his position and was extremely productive in college. He played all over the place for North Carolina State because of his versatility but his physical style of play, instincts and toughness project him inside at the pro level. Hoyte has all the traits and intangibles the Patriots like and defensive coordinator Dean Pees is already impressed with his knowledge of the game. Don’t be surprised if Hoyte becomes a Patriot on Sunday.

Dale Robinson, Arizona State – When watching Robinson you can see that he plays with a mean streak. He not only tackles people, he punishes them. Sometimes he tackles a little high but he’s a vicious hitter and the kind of physical player who would fit in well as a 3-4 middle linebacker. Robinson makes plays all over the field and really excels against the run. Another positive with Robinson is he played both inside and outside linebacker at Arizona State. While he has the speed to play outside, his bruising style of play probably makes him a better fit inside in the NFL. Robinson is a player with a nasty streak who has fun dishing out punishment on the football field so if the Patriots do draft him, they should put his locker right next to Rodney Harrison because the two of them play with a similar attitude.

Kai Parham, Virginia - At his pre-draft press conference, Belichick said Virginia is the college team whose defense most resembles the Patriots because of Al Groh. Parham played middle linebacker for the Cavaliers so if he’s a player Belichick likes, there’s a good chance he could become a Patriot tomorrow. Parham is big (252 pounds) but he doesn’t shed blocks as well as he should for his size. He doesn’t have great speed but a middle linebacker in the 3-4 defense doesn’t really need to be that fast. Parham would be a decent choice on Day 2 but he needs time to develop.

Defensive Backs

The Patriots are always looking for defensive backs and it wouldn’t be surprising to see them draft a couple on Sunday. As New England fans know all too well, the Patriots can never have enough quality defensive backs.

Darnell Bing, (S) USC – I don’t like Bing personally but I said he was more of a fourth round draft pick and that’s probably where the Patriots would take him. I don’t like Bing’s instincts on the football field and I think he misses too many tackles but he is an athlete and I won’t kick and scream if the Patriots get him on the second day of the draft. The team had him in for a couple of visits, so he’s a player they may be interested in.

Derrick Martin (CB), Wyoming – If the Patriots don’t draft a cornerback early, I think Martin would be an excellent selection in the middle rounds. He’s a player who can come in and play in the slot as a rookie and contribute on special teams. Martin is very athletic and has the speed to break on the ball and run with receivers down the field. He plays well against bigger receivers and has the ball skills to make a lot of big plays. Martin has the instincts to look up for the ball at the right time and make a play on it, something that’s very hard to teach. He plays with good technique and showed the ability to blitz off the corner at Wyoming. Martin is a good tackler and physical against the run, despite weighing only 190 pounds. He’s a little raw but with good coaching and hard work, Martin has enough physical ability to become a starting cornerback in the NFL in the near future. He would be an excellent middle-round pick for the Patriots.

Kickers

Depending on how many picks the Patriots end up keeping, there is a good possibility they’ll draft a kicker with one of their later picks. Even if they don’t, expect them to bring in one or two young kickers to compete with Martin Gramatica in training camp.

Stephen Gostkowski, Memphis – Gostkowski has the strongest leg of any kicker in this draft and he’s very accurate, especially from long range. His deep kick offs add to his value. Gostkowski could be an intriguing selection with one of the Patriots sixth round selections and would push Gramatica for the starting job.

Connor Hughes, Virginia – Besides a subpar junior season, Hughes was very consistent over his four-year career at Virginia. Hughes hit 21-out-of-24 field goals as a senior and like Gostkowski he has a strong leg. He would be another rookie who could come in and compete for a starting job in camp.

Loved the Pats draft after 2 picks. Maroney and Jackson falling to them really got me excited. I actually called the Pats trading up in the 2nd round but thought it would have been to get Richard Marshall.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I think I would have been happier if they took Maroney in the 1st, stood pat in the 2nd and got Richard Marshall and took Maurice Stovall with 1 3rd round pick and they still would have had another 3.

I know we posted it already....just keeping track.

Patriots | Trade details with Packers

Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:25:17 -0700

ESPN.com reports the Green Bay Packers have traded their second-round pick (No. 36 overall) to the New England Patriots for a second-round (No. 52) and a third-round (No. 75) pick. The Patriots selected WR Chad Jackson (Florida) with the No. 36 pick.

Thomas' talk

Tight end David Thomas, who was selected by the Patriots in the third round (No. 86), spoke with the media late on Saturday.

The Q&A:

What is your reaction to being picked by the Patriots?

"I just think it’s a huge blessing to have this opportunity. Coming from a school like Texas, a place where I’m used to winning, I don’t think I could have gone to a better place where winning is expected and they have a championship tradition."

You had a big effort in the Rose Bowl. Was that on your mind, carrying momentum of a 10-catch effort into the NFL Draft?

"I couldn’t have asked for more, to end my career at Texas with such a big game, on such a big stage. I just tried to carry that momentum throughout this whole draft process. Now that it’s finally come to a point where I’ve been drafted by the Patriots, with such a quality organization and a great coaching staff, I couldn’t have asked for more."

Were you surprised it was the Patriots?

"Kind of. I was just hoping to get drafted today. I worked out for the Patriots back in Austin. When their pick came up, I thought I might have a chance and got a call. I can’t hardly believe it. It’s a dream come true, a blessing."

What are some of your strengths and what are areas you’d want to work on?

"I think the most important thing for me is to go up there and work hard. I think as a player you can always get better in all aspects of the game. I’m just going to go up there and be open, try to be as coachable as I can be, and work hard and get in with the tight ends and all the other players and learn from them, and watch them. I’m just trying to be the best I can be to help the Patriots win."

They’ve drafted tight ends in the first round in two of the last five years. How do you look at that -- the competitive situation?

"I think, obviously, they use their tight end a lot and expect a lot out of them. I think it’s a great opportunity for me, as a tight end, to go into a system where I know I’ll be used and utilized. I know those guys [Daniel Graham and Benjamin Watson] are great football players and I have to respect everything they’ve done, and I’m just going to go in and work hard and try to learn from everything they’ve done, and listen to the coaches, and we’ll see what happens.”

What was your best 40 time and where was it?

"I ran a 4.67 at the combine."

You were on all special teams, even as a senior?

"I think it’s important to be on all special teams. They’re just as important as offense or defense because you can make so many plays. If I can get out there and play another play on special teams, I think that’s a great opportunity for me, to go out and have fun and play the game I love.”

Did you long snap often this year?

"I worked on it every day in practice but I’ve never done it in a game. I think if I keep working on it, and if they really need me to do it, I could step up to the plate."

Is it correct that you graduated early?

"Yes sir. I graduated in December, in 3½ years."

How did you pull that off?

"I took 15 hours every semester and took a lot of summer school. I also went into college with 14 hours from taking dual-credit classes in high school. It was a lot of hard work once I got into college but it was definitely worth it."

Did you have family with you in West Texas today, or did you not want to do that, because you didn't know if you'd be a first-day pick?

"I was with my family, my parents and my fiance', just my close family, brothers and brothers-in-laws and sisters. I was with them all day. I watched the first round to see where Michael Huff and Vince Young went -- my college teammates -- and after that I played golf a little bit with my cousin, just got out of the house a little bit."

How did you hit them on the golf course?

"I shot 87. That was an OK day for me, I guess."

Have you ever been up to New England?

"No sir."

What do you think you bring to the table in terms of big-game experience?

"I think, coming from a school like Texas, I have high expectations for myself and the team. I think coming from a school like Texas where we're used to winning -- success breeds success. I'm excited to be with an organization that has high expectations and is a proven winner, and I know there are a lot of really good football players on the team that I can come in and work with, and the coaching staff speaks for itself with the success they've had."

How do you think that last year is going to benefit you going forward?

"I think that winning a championship in college just makes me hungrier to win a championship there. I know I'll do whatever it takes to help the team to keep winning and win a lot of games."

Did you get an impression from whoever worked you out down in Austin that the Patriots might consider drafting you?

"He told me that he really likes me, he likes the way I play, that I'm a hard worker and just to keep doing what I've been doing and I would get a chance somewhere. He didn't make me any promises about New England, but he just told me to keep working hard and I would get a chance."

Trade talk

Patriots coach Bill Belichick just held his final press conference for the first day of the draft, and recapped how the team traded up in the second round to select receiver Chad Jackson.

"I think we kind of looked at the draft charts and felt like we were sitting there with two third- and two fourth-round picks, and we were at 52 [in the second round]. We talked to some teams in that range -- 36 -- and Denver was 37. We kind of thought that [Jackson] might be a guy they were interested in, we kind of thought they were intersted in a receiver; they ended up making the trade there for [Javon] Walker. We wanted to try to see if we could get up ahead of those teams -- Oakland [at 38] is another team that historically has taken big, fast receivers. We talked to those teams and it ended up working out with Green Bay [at 36]. ...

"...I thought Scott [Pioli] really handled the whole trade scenario. I thought he did a real good job getting that worked out. It was really kind of a last-second thing where we just barely got the pick in before time expired."

Mark Anderson (DE), Alabama – Anderson really shined at the Senior Bowl. He finished off a great week in Mobile by beating D’Brickashaw Ferguson for a sack during the game. With a lot of the DE/OLB tweeners expected to go high in this draft, Anderson is sort of flying under the radar. Projected to go somewhere in the late first day-early second day area, Anderson’s pass rushing skills are as good as some of the player who will be selected ahead of him. He’s extremely quick off the ball and also shows a nice inside move. Anderson has good instincts and can beat offensive linemen in a variety of ways. He’s only 254 pounds, so there are some concerns about him holding up against the run but he did a pretty good job in that area at Alabama despite his size. Anderson has the ability to play outside in the 3-4 defense, so he’s a possibility for the Patriots if they don’t go linebacker early in the draft.

Oliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – PFW’s top ranked middle linebacker is still on the board and a player we believe the Patriots really like. Hoyte is the most physical player at his position and was extremely productive in college. He played all over the place for North Carolina State because of his versatility but his physical style of play, instincts and toughness project him inside at the pro level. Hoyte has all the traits and intangibles the Patriots like and defensive coordinator Dean Pees is already impressed with his knowledge of the game. Don’t be surprised if Hoyte becomes a Patriot on Sunday.

Dale Robinson, Arizona State – When watching Robinson you can see that he plays with a mean streak. He not only tackles people, he punishes them. Sometimes he tackles a little high but he’s a vicious hitter and the kind of physical player who would fit in well as a 3-4 middle linebacker. Robinson makes plays all over the field and really excels against the run. Another positive with Robinson is he played both inside and outside linebacker at Arizona State. While he has the speed to play outside, his bruising style of play probably makes him a better fit inside in the NFL. Robinson is a player with a nasty streak who has fun dishing out punishment on the football field so if the Patriots do draft him, they should put his locker right next to Rodney Harrison because the two of them play with a similar attitude.

Kai Parham, Virginia - At his pre-draft press conference, Belichick said Virginia is the college team whose defense most resembles the Patriots because of Al Groh. Parham played middle linebacker for the Cavaliers so if he’s a player Belichick likes, there’s a good chance he could become a Patriot tomorrow. Parham is big (252 pounds) but he doesn’t shed blocks as well as he should for his size. He doesn’t have great speed but a middle linebacker in the 3-4 defense doesn’t really need to be that fast. Parham would be a decent choice on Day 2 but he needs time to develop.

Darnell Bing, (S) USC – I don’t like Bing personally but I said he was more of a fourth round draft pick and that’s probably where the Patriots would take him. I don’t like Bing’s instincts on the football field and I think he misses too many tackles but he is an athlete and I won’t kick and scream if the Patriots get him on the second day of the draft. The team had him in for a couple of visits, so he’s a player they may be interested in.
I was looking through the list of remaining defensive players at ESPN and these are the guys who jumped out at me. Maybe something like Anderson and Bing in the 4th, and then one of the the inside LBs in the early 5th. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of these guys will be able to contribute much their rookie year. Even Parham who played in Al Groh's Patriots-like defense is described as needing "time to develop".

Mike Hass, Oregon State - Hass is a smart receiver who can pick up the Patriots system quickly and contribute as a slot receiver in his first year. He’s the type of player who will earn Tom Brady’s trust quickly with his soft hands and ability to get open. Hass isn’t going to wow you when you look at him but he’s one of those guys that understands how to play the game of football and is very comfortable on the field. He would be a nice compliment to Deion Branch and Chad Jackson as a possession receiver and could fill the void left by Troy Brown once he retires.
they met with him for a long time a couple months back
Babatunde Oshinowo, Stanford – A perfect fit for the Patriots as a backup to Wilfork. Oshinowo has experience playing nose tackle in the 3-4 defense at Stanford and is very stout against the run. He’s a smart player and that allows him to recognize plays and get to the ball carrier despite his lack of quickness. Oshinowo isn’t a great inside pass rusher but neither is Wilfork. In a 3-4 defense, nose tackles need to take on blocks and stuff the run and that’s exactly what Oshinowo excels at. He isn’t as highly regarded because he lacks some of the physical skills teams crave. The Patriots, however, look for players who fit their system and Oshinowo is one of those players. If the Patriots can land Oshinowo on the second day, they will have another steal on their hands.
love the reviews for this guy
I thought he'd be gone well before this

they met with him for a long time a couple months back
love the reviews for this guy
I thought he'd be gone well before this
Yep, like those and addOliver Hoyte, North Carolina State – PFW’s top ranked middle linebacker is still on the board and a player we believe the Patriots really like. Hoyte is the most physical player at his position and was extremely productive in college. He played all over the place for North Carolina State because of his versatility but his physical style of play, instincts and toughness project him inside at the pro level. Hoyte has all the traits and intangibles the Patriots like and defensive coordinator Dean Pees is already impressed with his knowledge of the game. Don’t be surprised if Hoyte becomes a Patriot on Sunday.

Good Morning all....Day two is upon us....lets go Patriots.

a little light reading from boston.com

Bill's wrap

Comments from Bill Belichick's wrap-up press conference on Saturday night:

Opening statement

"Just a couple of quick comments on the last two picks. [Chad] Jackson was a guy that we were considering in the first round and obviously we went with [Laurence] Maroney. As we got into the second round we were able to move up with the trade to Green Bay and take Chad. We spent a lot of time with him -- both in Florida and he came up here and different coaches saw him and so forth. I think that he has some good skills that we're looking forward to working with. He comes from a good passing system that Coach [urban] Meyer has down there at Florida and we are familiar with that. I think he has some good things to work with. Dave Thomas is a kid that was very productive for Texas. Obviously he comes from a really good program, a national championship team. He's very well thought of down there, in all of the aspects of his game. He's been productive as a receiver and a blocker and in the kicking game, so we hope that he can give us value on all four downs there as well. Being a primarily two tight end team, we certainly need to carry more than that on our roster. That's where we are. We'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow."

Chad said that you gave him questions from the playbook and gave him a quiz and you were the only team to do that. How did he do on those types of tests with being able to pick things up?

"Good. I think he has a good background in the passing game and understands concepts. We do that with a lot of players, talk to them about something and then try to bring it back up at a later point in time, whether it be at the combine, then at a spring workout or whatever the case is, some kind of recall and kind of how they learn spacing information like that. He did a really good job with it."

Can you take us through how the move up came about?

"I think that we kind of looked at the draft charts and felt like we were sitting there with two third- and two fourth-round picks and we were at 52 [in the second round]. So we talked to some teams and it ended up being 36. So we talked to some teams in that range, 36 and then 37, 38. Denver was 37. We kind of thought that [Jackson] might be a guy that they were interested in and we thought they were interested in a receiver; they ended up making a trade there for [Javon] Walker. We wanted to try to see if we could get up ahead of those teams. Oakland is another team that has historically taken big, fast receivers. We talked to those teams and it ended up working out with Green Bay."

Stats-wise, were Jackson's numbers last year a byproduct of the new offense?

"Well, Florida runs basically a spread offense, what they ran at Utah. He played primarily the slot receiver. He was occasionally outside this year in some two receivers sets, but they didn't do that a whole lot. Most of it was four wide receiver sets, where he was the inside guy with a lot of read routes, option routes, those kinds of things. So his yards per catch were naturally lower. On the other hand though, I thought he did a good job of catching the ball in traffic and taking hits and those types of things that you don't see as much of as an outside receiver. He also ran them on reverses, shuffle passes, options, things like that. I don't know how many carries he had, but he had a decent number. How many?"

16 I think.

"He had a decent number of carries as well as catches and that was kind of his role on the offense. The year before when they ran more of a conventional two receiver set and he was outside guy then it was more downfield routes. I think he's shown some versatility."

You mention that you had him under consideration in the first round. What made Maroney get the edge?

"We thought he was a better pick for our team."

Did it have anything to do with what you thought might be available after?

"No, I think it had more to do with what we thought was the best thing to do at that time, although I don't think that we thought that Maroney would be there much after we picked if we didn't pick him. But that's not really the main reason for picking him. We picked him because we thought he was a good player."

Overall, you have to be pleased to get guys that you had highly rated with that much value at the place in the draft in which you did.

"Yes, I thought that was good. I thought Scott [Pioli] really handled the whole trade scenario with Green Bay, I thought he did a really good job of being able to kind of get that worked out. Really it was kind of a last second thing where we just barely got the pick in before the time expired. We were able to maneuver in the draft and get three players we feel good about. There are a lot of other players out there that are good players that certainly we have a lot of respect [for] and had a lot of interest in, but we feel good about the ones that we got."

Was the intention to come out of the first day with this much offense?

"The intention was to come out of it with three good football players. I don't think you can be too picky about, when you're drafting best value players, it's hard to be picky about position. If you're drafting need positions, then sometimes you give up some value and try to balance those out. But we tried to get players who we think could help our football team and that's why we picked them."

Is it hard to project the type of player Chad Jackson would be coming out of Urban Meyer's offense? Is it difficult to project guys into the pros out of his offense?

"No, I think it's actually a lot easier to project them out of that offense than a lot of other ones that just run play action pass go-routes and tear screens all the time, which is what a lot of them do. No. They have a spread offense. They read coverages. They run routes based on coverages or the technique of the defender. They have multiple formations and blitz adjustments and all those kinds of things that are common in the National Football League. I think he has a good passing offense. I think kids that come out of that offense have a good understanding of passing concepts and some of them are the same concepts and are very similar to what we do and there are some differences. He just played the inside position this year and he played more of an outside position last year. He played outside this year in the two receiver sets, but in the multiple receiver sets, they moved him inside."

Is he as astute as Deion Branch was coming out of Louisville?

"I think Deion came in at a pretty high level. I think that would be pretty unusual to find anybody at that level. I would say that was exceptional."

You have seven picks heading into tomorrow. Are there still a significant number of players that can be of value to your team?

"Well, I don't know because it's hard to tell how they are going to come off. Two of the picks are compensatory picks and they are not tradeable. We're going to have to stay there and take whoever is there. The other ones, we may move up, move down, trade them into next year. Some teams are shopping players for those picks, so I don't really know. That's what we'll do tonight is try to kind of restack the board and take a look at what is left here after 97 picks or however many it was today and reevaluate our options. Usually when you have picks in the fourth round, multiple picks like we do tomorrow, there is a lot of interest in those picks league wide. But that may or may not be the case, but I think that's something that we may need to be ready for too. There may be some movement on those picks tomorrow. Again, right now the best thing that we can do is try to do our homework and make sure that we understand what is up there, what the value is, what teams are interested in possibly trying to acquire those picks or if we want to move up, which teams might consider taking our multiple picks and moving into the higher spot if that's what we decide to do and just kind of get ready to go for tomorrow. We are not at that point yet, but that's what we are working towards.

With the multiple picks that you have, can you get the guy who you think is the best available?

"I would say that it's fairly common in the fourth round, although there are usually in the first 10 picks of the fourth round, there are probably five or six guys that probably pretty much everybody has. There is a little bit of a feeding frenzy for those few guys. I think you have a lot better chance in the fourth round of getting the guy you want than if you're sitting there in the middle of the first round, that's for sure. Teams that have filled needs or drafted players in certain position, that doesn't really knock them out, but it makes it less likely that they would take players in that spot and fill some other need. Again, at this point a lot of these players are more, I don't want to generalize, but some of them are more role players or more specific players that fit in certain systems, as opposed to some of the guys in the first couple of rounds. So they are much more team specific than guys who are taken high that probably could have a role in quite a few systems because of the extent of their skills. I would say it's fairly likely that you could get a guy that you kind of like on the board. But again, liking him on the board at this point and liking him on the board at 11 this morning is a little bit of a different story."

We are getting mixed information on Maroney's height and weight. Can you nail down his size for us?

"He'll be in here Monday and you can take a look at him for yourself. He has those dreadlocks. I don't know maybe they were pressed down, maybe they weren't. Maybe he was on a diet. I don't know. He's probably a shade under 6 feet, around 215, 220, I don't know. He's not 6'2. He's not 5'8. He's not 235. He's not 190. I don't know. But take a look at him for yourself on Monday."

Users who are viewing this thread