What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Patriots at Colts AFC Championship Game Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Should that have been a TD? Calling MT or other rule experts on this one, but:

4. On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
Should the ball have been dead where Maroney fumbled?

Finless said:
I'm a lifelong Colts fan. I just can't help feeling like one the Russians in the crowd in Rocky IV. I don't want to feel this way but for some reason I am swaying with the Pats....Go Brady!!
:ptts:

4. On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.
The ball can not be advansed forward, as in pushed or kicked, byu an offensive player or else this would be the case. It was moved forward by INdy players on that play, so it's fine. At least this is my understanding.

It wasn't fourth down or after the two minute warning.

The ball can not be advansed forward, as in pushed or kicked, byu an offensive player or else this would be the case. It was moved forward by INdy players on that play, so it's fine. At least this is my understanding.
Also... maybe it's my ADD, but was that a 4th-down play?

That was my understanding too, but the rule I quoted seems to disagree.

Uh, it was not 4th down.

Another nice tackle right there by Seymour. He might have broken that and run a ways. Short gain instead.

Finless said:
I'm a lifelong Colts fan. I just can't help feeling like one the Russians in the crowd in Rocky IV. I don't want to feel this way but for some reason I am swaying with the Pats....Go Brady!!
:goodposting:
No kidding. I'm confused too. Your team is in the AFC Championship game and your opponent got one of the luckiest TDs in the history of a championship game and you're about to jump ship.Wow, that takes frontrunning to a whole new level.

Finless said:
wtf?

Bruschi with a nice tackle possibly preventing a first down.

Its these little things - disciplined professional football - that separate the Patriots from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go with the luck factor again.....
and it wasn't deserved?
They just drove the ball right down Indy's throat and the RB made a fluke mistake. That play could have been deemed luck no matter how it turned out IMO. For NE or for Indy. How is Maroney's fluke mistake of punching the handoff forward 5 yds any more "luck" than the Indy plyers fluke mistake of not handeling the ball when it was on the ground? Classic example of people seeing what the want to see if you ask me. It's trendy to say NE gets lucky, I know.

Uh, it was not 4th down.
I know, but I didn't see the relevant rules for the first three downs. I was hoping someone else had them.

Here we go with the luck factor again.....
and it wasn't deserved?
They just drove the ball right down Indy's throat and the RB made a fluke mistake. That play could have been deemed luck no matter how it turned out IMO. For NE or for Indy. How is Maroney's fluke mistake of punching the handoff forward 5 yds any more "luck" than the Indy plyers fluke mistake of not handeling the ball when it was on the ground? Classic example of people seeing what the want to see if you ask me. It's rendy to say NE gets lucky, I know.
:goodposting:

Uh, it was not 4th down.
I know, but I didn't see the relevant rules for the first three downs. I was hoping someone else had them.
N/M, according to MT that rule is unique for 4th downs only.So the Pats are just lucky, not the beneficiaries of bad officiating. (At least yet).

I thought that was 3rd down not 4th down. Need to go check the play-by-play...

Wow what a game so far in pass defense by Hobbs and Samuel. Knocking down several balls already.

Open field tackle on Addai. They just don't miss. Ok, I'll stop documenting it before it gets annoying. I'll note the next missed tackle.

And there it is, missed tackle in the backfield on Addai and he breaks free for a good gain. Second guy gets him.

Uh, it was not 4th down.
My impression that was only for 4th down or inside the two-minute of each half. The famous Ken Stabler rule.Never mind. This has already been addressed. Too much time researching and not enough time reading.

Actually I think most of the Patriots missed tackles in the last 3 quarters of play have come behind the LOS. And that makes sense because there is an added difficulty of determining who has the ball.

Uh, it was not 4th down.
My impression that was only for 4th down or inside the two-minute of each half. The famous Ken Stabler rule.
When you're just trying to spew hate for a team like Chase does, you are allowed to cite rules that do not apply to the actual situation when you have nothing legitimate to say.

Guys Samuels is a FA and he had 10 picks this year, is he really that good, or a one year wonder?

My Gmen badly need CB help, so he will be on the top of the list for us

Finless said:
Luckiest team in the history of sports
VERY :)
Luck? How about wrapping up the ball when you fall on it. The Colts D blew that.
You're right. The Pats should be proud of a TD that they're RB fumbled away but somehow found its way to the OG.
And the Colts should have been proud of getting trounced down the field and then somehow a NFL RB misses the simplest of all his duties... taking the freaking handoff?

Uh, it was not 4th down.
My impression that was only for 4th down or inside the two-minute of each half. The famous Ken Stabler rule.
When you're just trying to spew hate for a team like Chase does, you are allowed to cite rules that do not apply to the actual situation when you have nothing legitimate to say.
Meow...saucer of milk for JWW's table.He just questioned a rule, and then posted the correct rule.

Guys Samuels is a FA and he had 10 picks this year, is he really that good, or a one year wonder?
He's that good. Back when Ty Law was still with the Pats I remember querying whether there was even that much drop-off between Law and Samuels... that was back when Law was looking for megabucks to re-sign with the team.

Guys Samuels is a FA and he had 10 picks this year, is he really that good, or a one year wonder?My Gmen badly need CB help, so he will be on the top of the list for us
i don't think he'll be worth the contract he eventually gets. i've been extremely impressed with him over the last 10-12 weeks - he's been a completely different player and has been playing with a lot of confidence over that time span. but he's been nothing special for so long it's difficult to believe what i'm seeing.

Guys Samuels is a FA and he had 10 picks this year, is he really that good, or a one year wonder?My Gmen badly need CB help, so he will be on the top of the list for us
i don't think he'll be worth the contract he eventually gets. i've been extremely impressed with him over the last 10-12 weeks - he's been a completely different player and has been playing with a lot of confidence over that time span. but he's been nothing special for so long it's difficult to believe what i'm seeing.
Like all Patriots players, he's a product of the system and a cent over league minimum is too much.

Like all Patriots players, he's a product of the system and a cent over league minimum is too much.
wrong. but he'll be overpaid nonetheless.

He's developped(sp?)Pats will hopefully re-sign him. NY's nice but well ummm they're not playing.

Users who are viewing this thread