What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Phish Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Rumor mill is saying Giant Country Horns may show up.

Holy ####!!!!!

Seems that would limit the albums covered, but who knows??
Was reading this Rolling Stone article, which points out that on the Halloween shooting gallery, a languedoc guitar has been swapped out for Bruce's guitar on the Born to Run cover:http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...-halloween-set/

If you stop and think about it, you can't really cover this album without a horn section :lmao:
Very interesting.
That is the second time that album has come up as the potential cover, I agree, very interesting.

Holy ####!!!!!

Was reading this Rolling Stone article, which points out that on the Halloween shooting gallery, a languedoc guitar has been swapped out for Bruce's guitar on the Born to Run cover:http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...-halloween-set/

If you stop and think about it, you can't really cover this album without a horn section :blackdot:
Very interesting.
That is the second time that album has come up as the potential cover, I agree, very interesting.
please no, please no, please no

Holy ####!!!!!

If you stop and think about it, you can't really cover this album without a horn section :blackdot:
Very interesting.
please no, please no, please no
Yeah, I wouldn't be too excited, either.

I don't know, it might be fun. You know Phish ain't gonna play it like Bruce and the E Street band. Just listen to what they did to the White Album back in the day.

Glory days!

Ok, the Bruce thing with one of Trey's guitars is not as insightful as we might have thought at first glance. Look at the Ramones cover, Gordon is on it. Tom Petty is wearing a Phish shirt, and Phish is in the can on the Beastie Boys album. Plus, T Rex is spelled T.Rey (witty that one) and there are some others.

So I don't think the fact that Bruce has Trey's guitar is that much of a tip off. But it is the only one with Trey's guitar, and we all know how much Trey loves those guitars!!!

Anyway, just thought you would like to know. The Ramones album cover cracks me up!!

Ok, the Bruce thing with one of Trey's guitars is not as insightful as we might have thought at first glance. Look at the Ramones cover, Gordon is on it. Tom Petty is wearing a Phish shirt, and Phish is in the can on the Beastie Boys album. Plus, T Rex is spelled T.Rey (witty that one) and there are some others.

So I don't think the fact that Bruce has Trey's guitar is that much of a tip off. But it is the only one with Trey's guitar, and we all know how much Trey loves those guitars!!!

Anyway, just thought you would like to know. The Ramones album cover cracks me up!!
I agree. Not sure why that article singles out Born to Run.

Born to Run would suck suck suck. I would prefer something more jamming or trippy. The Genesis - Lamb album has the most potential for psychedelic stuff. I am bummed that they took off Eat a peach, that would be my dream album. I just think in my opinion Born to Run is the most overrated album in history.

Granted it has been a few years since I listened to the Halloween albums or the Dark Side Show but doesnt Phish basically play the album note for note? I am almost positive this was done for Dark Side and Loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Born to Run would suck suck suck. I would prefer something more jamming or trippy. The Genesis - Lamb album has the most potential for psychedelic stuff. I am bummed that they took off Eat a peach, that would be my dream album. I just think in my opinion Born to Run is the most overrated album in history.

Granted it has been a few years since I listened to the Halloween albums or the Dark Side Show but doesnt Phish basically play the album note for note? I am almost positive this was done for Dark Side and Loaded.
I can't speak to those two, never really listened to them, but I can say the White Album was far from being note for note. Trey can't stop himself and play that slow.That being said, I would LOVE some funk! Mayfield's Superfly would be, well, super fly. And if Giant Country Horns is there, holy #### batman!

Loaded was jammed out. From what I remember, most of the other ones were pretty note for note.

Its been awhile, but Im almost positive Remain In Light was nowhere close to note-for-note

ETA: Born to Run would be 1 of those albums I would walk out on if they played it

Friend emailed me this. As if this night needed any more hype!

We've removed from the database those 36 entries that referred not to actual shows but to mislabelled recordings, leaving one thousand four hundred and ninety-eight performances by the band in our hyperlinked system. And that, lizards and wizards, means that the second night of Festival 8 - Halloween! - will be the band's 1500th known performance.
:blackdot:

I have officially switched my wish for Halloween to Van Halen.

Mostly because I have always really liked Van Halen (w/Roth, not so much without) and I would LOVE to see Trey do something like

:lmao:

Plans coming to fruition...

Team Phish has spent much time in the Coachella Valley as of late, so much that folks in Indio have been referring to the Empire Polo Club as “Little Vermont.” They also call raisins “sun grapes,” which is just weird.

Seriously though, within the next week, the planning and mapmaking and drawing of the past several months gives way to building and transforming the site, at last, into Festival 8. Back on the East Coast, the band is deep in rehearsals; working on the Halloween Set, as well as the Acoustic set planned for Sunday morning at the festival.

While there are far too many great elements in the works for the festival to share in this space, we’ll highlight a few of them here:

THE OVERLOOK + THE COIL – Right at the entrance to the concert field is an elevated area partially covered by spectacular Olympic Peak Tents that looks out onto the lush concert field. Here at the Overlook you’ll get the chance to enjoy a particularly bloody mary at the Bloody Mary Bar, a movie area showing vintage Halloween classics, archival Phish video, (not to mention The World Series and NFL games), a massive 100 foot Ferris Wheel and an internet cafe (though wi-fi will be provided throughout the site). The Overlook will be opened from 8 am to 2 am each day of the festival, and will also be open Thursday, October 29, beginning after Soundcheck. Between The Overlook and the stage you’ll find The Coil, a large swirled structure where Festival 8 turns and returns, host to multiple art installations and interactive works galore. When the sun goes down, look on the outskirts of The Coil for an explosive group of fire artists bringing the HEAT (that has TWO meanings!).

THE HOUSE OF LIVE PHISH – It’s back for Festival 8 with a nice twist. Get out of the heat, the House Of Live Phish will be air conditioned! Think you can do a better job mixing Phish? The House will feature mix-your-own-track stations complete with skilled instructors from ProMedia, and you’ll be able to re-mix tracks from this Summer’s Tour while drinking a Shasta (Wait, scratch that last part — Shasta’s just pulled out). Final racks will be uploaded to a blog at livephish.com for everyone’s listening pleasure.

Also, everyone who visits the House of Live Phish will receive a free card redeemable for a Live Phish Summer 09 Sampler. Download and burn your own sampler onto CD using a Mac from our buddies at Small Dog Electronics in Vermont, or just enjoy listening to any of the songs at LivePhish.com on a Sonos listening station.

We’re also making each show from the weekend available on slotMusic micro SD cards, so that you can grab them on your way out of the concert field and listen back right away. Each card comes with a USB sleeve ensuring interoperability with all computers as well a microSD-enabled mobile phones and MP3 players. Listen to the concert on your way back to your campsite (you will never not be listening to Phish. Get used to it). Stop by the Phish Dry Goods tent for more details.

BEER! CERVEZA! BIER! BIERE! PIVO! BIR! – It seems a little silly to tout that there will be beer for sale at Festival 8. Worthy of mention is there will be over 50 different kinds of beer for sale – microbrews, ‘beers of the world’, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and our friends at Sierra Nevada have brewed a special pilsner exclusively available at Festival 8 called FOAM.

KURODA KNOWS HOW TO LIGHT A PALM OR TWO OR THREE – In addition to his usual duties behind the console, lighting designer Chris Kuroda is overseeing lighting throughout the site – at the entrances, in The Overlook, on the field. You’ll never see a more stunning collection of 140 lit palm trees. That’s the Kuroda Promise.

THE RETURN OF THE BUNNY 95.9 FM – Like a zombie in need of nourishing brains, The Bunny is back! Once again, we’ll be hopping around all weekend in a little trailer behind the stage, dishing out large quantities of killer music, up-to-the-minute traffic reports, festival updates, insightful interviews from the field, a dangerous triple session of Phish archivist Kevin Shapiro’s “From the Archives” shows, frightening late-night freak outs, subliminal messages, Dr. Demento outtakes, sound effects of doors closing, classic Jerky Boys tracks, white noise, Civil War dirges, Jewish fight songs, and of course, live broadcasts of all 8 Phish sets! If you get lost in The Coil or tied up at the Overlook Hotel, have no fear: The Bunny will be there for you, airing 24 hours a day beginning Thursday, October 29 at 10 AM right on through until Monday, November 2 at 10 AM. Now, if you happen to tune in before or after these times and hear a rock-block of Billy Joel, don’t be afraid: that’s just JACK-FM, the rock station we’ll be hijacking for the weekend. So be prepared: bring a boombox! Let The Bunny feed (on) your brain.

EIGHTH ANNUAL SCENT OF A MULE HORSESHOE TOURNAMENT – Got your costume picked out, tent packed, sunscreen, candy small beach towel and anti-grizzly spray ready to go? Well, how’s your pitching arm?

We’re tickled to announce the Eighth Annual “Scent Of A Mule Horseshoe Pitching Tournament” at Festival 8. Located in the concert field, the horseshoe pitching courts will be open for practice swings on Friday with the tournament taking place on Saturday and Sunday. East Coast vs. West Coast. It’s an easy sport to pick up so come and try your luck and get pointers from the good folks from the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association of America.

COFFEE & DONUTS ACOUSTIC. I ATE – A team of physicists have been working on fusing two different spheres of doughy goodness into one coherent form that retains its integrity after an aqueuous sugar coating has been applied. That’s right – those Sunday morning donuts will be commemoratively shaped in a figure eight, and glazed. We did it, America!

FESTIVAL CERTIFIED FARMER’S MARKET – On Friday, Saturday and Sunday we’ll dish out a Certified Farmer’s Market (meaning that all the farmers participating have certification that their produce is in fact grown in California) that will feature organic and transitional produce, honey, cheese, eggs, bread, pumpkins, wheatgrass, fresh cut flowers, nuts, and California-grown olive oil. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried certified, California-grown wheatgrass – let me tell you! Organic coffee, breakfast, and lunch will be available at the cafe located adjacent to the Farmer’s Market at the El Dorado Clubhouse.

Plans coming to fruition...

Team Phish has spent much time in the Coachella Valley as of late, so much that folks in Indio have been referring to the Empire Polo Club as “Little Vermont.” They also call raisins “sun grapes,” which is just weird.

Seriously though, within the next week, the planning and mapmaking and drawing of the past several months gives way to building and transforming the site, at last, into Festival 8. Back on the East Coast, the band is deep in rehearsals; working on the Halloween Set, as well as the Acoustic set planned for Sunday morning at the festival.

While there are far too many great elements in the works for the festival to share in this space, we’ll highlight a few of them here:

THE OVERLOOK + THE COIL – Right at the entrance to the concert field is an elevated area partially covered by spectacular Olympic Peak Tents that looks out onto the lush concert field. Here at the Overlook you’ll get the chance to enjoy a particularly bloody mary at the Bloody Mary Bar, a movie area showing vintage Halloween classics, archival Phish video, (not to mention The World Series and NFL games), a massive 100 foot Ferris Wheel and an internet cafe (though wi-fi will be provided throughout the site). The Overlook will be opened from 8 am to 2 am each day of the festival, and will also be open Thursday, October 29, beginning after Soundcheck. Between The Overlook and the stage you’ll find The Coil, a large swirled structure where Festival 8 turns and returns, host to multiple art installations and interactive works galore. When the sun goes down, look on the outskirts of The Coil for an explosive group of fire artists bringing the HEAT (that has TWO meanings!).

THE HOUSE OF LIVE PHISH – It’s back for Festival 8 with a nice twist. Get out of the heat, the House Of Live Phish will be air conditioned! Think you can do a better job mixing Phish? The House will feature mix-your-own-track stations complete with skilled instructors from ProMedia, and you’ll be able to re-mix tracks from this Summer’s Tour while drinking a Shasta (Wait, scratch that last part — Shasta’s just pulled out). Final racks will be uploaded to a blog at livephish.com for everyone’s listening pleasure.

Also, everyone who visits the House of Live Phish will receive a free card redeemable for a Live Phish Summer 09 Sampler. Download and burn your own sampler onto CD using a Mac from our buddies at Small Dog Electronics in Vermont, or just enjoy listening to any of the songs at LivePhish.com on a Sonos listening station.

We’re also making each show from the weekend available on slotMusic micro SD cards, so that you can grab them on your way out of the concert field and listen back right away. Each card comes with a USB sleeve ensuring interoperability with all computers as well a microSD-enabled mobile phones and MP3 players. Listen to the concert on your way back to your campsite (you will never not be listening to Phish. Get used to it). Stop by the Phish Dry Goods tent for more details.

BEER! CERVEZA! BIER! BIERE! PIVO! BIR! – It seems a little silly to tout that there will be beer for sale at Festival 8. Worthy of mention is there will be over 50 different kinds of beer for sale – microbrews, ‘beers of the world’, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and our friends at Sierra Nevada have brewed a special pilsner exclusively available at Festival 8 called FOAM.

KURODA KNOWS HOW TO LIGHT A PALM OR TWO OR THREE – In addition to his usual duties behind the console, lighting designer Chris Kuroda is overseeing lighting throughout the site – at the entrances, in The Overlook, on the field. You’ll never see a more stunning collection of 140 lit palm trees. That’s the Kuroda Promise.

THE RETURN OF THE BUNNY 95.9 FM – Like a zombie in need of nourishing brains, The Bunny is back! Once again, we’ll be hopping around all weekend in a little trailer behind the stage, dishing out large quantities of killer music, up-to-the-minute traffic reports, festival updates, insightful interviews from the field, a dangerous triple session of Phish archivist Kevin Shapiro’s “From the Archives” shows, frightening late-night freak outs, subliminal messages, Dr. Demento outtakes, sound effects of doors closing, classic Jerky Boys tracks, white noise, Civil War dirges, Jewish fight songs, and of course, live broadcasts of all 8 Phish sets! If you get lost in The Coil or tied up at the Overlook Hotel, have no fear: The Bunny will be there for you, airing 24 hours a day beginning Thursday, October 29 at 10 AM right on through until Monday, November 2 at 10 AM. Now, if you happen to tune in before or after these times and hear a rock-block of Billy Joel, don’t be afraid: that’s just JACK-FM, the rock station we’ll be hijacking for the weekend. So be prepared: bring a boombox! Let The Bunny feed (on) your brain.

EIGHTH ANNUAL SCENT OF A MULE HORSESHOE TOURNAMENT – Got your costume picked out, tent packed, sunscreen, candy small beach towel and anti-grizzly spray ready to go? Well, how’s your pitching arm?

We’re tickled to announce the Eighth Annual “Scent Of A Mule Horseshoe Pitching Tournament” at Festival 8. Located in the concert field, the horseshoe pitching courts will be open for practice swings on Friday with the tournament taking place on Saturday and Sunday. East Coast vs. West Coast. It’s an easy sport to pick up so come and try your luck and get pointers from the good folks from the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association of America.

COFFEE & DONUTS ACOUSTIC. I ATE – A team of physicists have been working on fusing two different spheres of doughy goodness into one coherent form that retains its integrity after an aqueuous sugar coating has been applied. That’s right – those Sunday morning donuts will be commemoratively shaped in a figure eight, and glazed. We did it, America!

FESTIVAL CERTIFIED FARMER’S MARKET – On Friday, Saturday and Sunday we’ll dish out a Certified Farmer’s Market (meaning that all the farmers participating have certification that their produce is in fact grown in California) that will feature organic and transitional produce, honey, cheese, eggs, bread, pumpkins, wheatgrass, fresh cut flowers, nuts, and California-grown olive oil. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried certified, California-grown wheatgrass – let me tell you! Organic coffee, breakfast, and lunch will be available at the cafe located adjacent to the Farmer’s Market at the El Dorado Clubhouse.
Jesus.

I missed Phish. Without question this is the best band from top to bottom of the last 20 years. From music, to stage performances, to crowd interaction and music festivals there is just not a band that even remotely compares. I am afraid these festival may blow Big Cypress out of the water and I am going to miss it. :lmao:

I missed Phish. Without question this is the best band from top to bottom of the last 20 years. From music, to stage performances, to crowd interaction and music festivals there is just not a band that even remotely compares. I am afraid these festival may blow Big Cypress out of the water and I am going to miss it. :lmao:
I have done a few two day shows, but never an official fest. This one looks like it is gonna rock! Bummer you will miss it, I will eat a "brownie" for ya!Less than two weeks and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way Phish does festivals is over the top as evidenced in the email you posted. For NYE they had a friggin ferris wheel you could ride while the band played. Weird and off the wall stuff is their forte. I am so jealous of you guys but if they didnt have it in Cali then I would be there, just way too expensive after it is all said and done. Dude I hope you take pics for all of us stuck at home.

The way Phish does festivals is over the top as evidenced in the email you posted. For NYE they had a friggin ferris wheel you could ride while the band played. Weird and off the wall stuff is their forte. I am so jealous of you guys but if they didnt have it in Cali then I would be there, just way too expensive after it is all said and done. Dude I hope you take pics for all of us stuck at home.
Pics for sure. Wookie girls overload!

We chose a flag to fly at the RV park.

Look for THIS

All are welcome for beers and other fun stuff.
Bumped for weekend Phish-heads.Look for our flag! We will be in the RV area cooking, drinking, smoking, etc., etc. My buddy and I thought this flag was perfect for a S. Cal Phish fest :thumbup:

Mr Minor makes an awesome point, the album that will be played is not even listed and has been killing the others. Mutherfarker I really love Phish.

Got hosed on mail order but did well with Ticketmaster and tickets.com today. Both Albany, first 2 MSG (have prior plans on the third night). Trying for Philly tomorrow.

Got hosed on mail order but did well with Ticketmaster and tickets.com today. Both Albany, first 2 MSG (have prior plans on the third night). Trying for Philly tomorrow.
Weird I never got a reply back...I never luck out on this - maybe it's on my other computer but, I emailed them and hoping....

Just checked CC bill and no charges :hifive:

Leaving for Indio tomorrow AM.

Major rumor on the cover album: The album they're playing isn't on "The Wall" on the Festival 8 website.

It's "Off The Wall"...

Leaving tomorrow morning for SD than onto Indio!!

All FBG's welcome to find this FLAG and join us for beers and such!!!!

Gig.

ETA: we will be parked in the RV area, not sure which one since there are like three, but come find us anyway!!! First one is on me.

Weird I never got a reply back...I never luck out on this - maybe it's on my other computer but, I emailed them and hoping....

Just checked CC bill and no charges :sadbanana:
Check your spam folder, especially if you have a Yahoo account.

down to 9, which album will it be?

1. David Bowie | Hunky Dory

2. Genesis | The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

3. Jimi Hendrix | Electric Ladyland

4. King Crimson | Larks' Tongues In Aspic

5. MGMT | Oracular Spectacular

6. Michael Jackson | Thriller

7. Prince | Purple Rain

8. Radiohead | Kid A

9. Rolling Stones | Exile on Main Street

down to 9, which album will it be? 1. David Bowie | Hunky Dory 2. Genesis | The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 3. Jimi Hendrix | Electric Ladyland 4. King Crimson | Larks' Tongues In Aspic 5. MGMT | Oracular Spectacular 6. Michael Jackson | Thriller 7. Prince | Purple Rain 8. Radiohead | Kid A 9. Rolling Stones | Exile on Main Street
Gotta pull for Electric Ladyland. Would be stoaked for the Prince, Bowie or Michael. Hoping to avoid the Stones, Genesis and the Radiohead. No matter what happens my mind is already in Indio even the morning is going to be filled with 8 hours worth of anticipatory jams on I5. :)

down to 9, which album will it be? 1. David Bowie | Hunky Dory 2. Genesis | The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 3. Jimi Hendrix | Electric Ladyland 4. King Crimson | Larks' Tongues In Aspic 5. MGMT | Oracular Spectacular 6. Michael Jackson | Thriller 7. Prince | Purple Rain 8. Radiohead | Kid A 9. Rolling Stones | Exile on Main Street
Gotta pull for Electric Ladyland. Would be stoaked for the Prince, Bowie or Michael. Hoping to avoid the Stones, Genesis and the Radiohead. No matter what happens my mind is already in Indio even the morning is going to be filled with 8 hours worth of anticipatory jams on I5. :)
So it is one of the 9, or one that isn't listed killing them all off? Or don't we know....

I think they do Exile or Purple Rain. Final answer.
Exile, While a great work, wouldn't be anything special or that different IMO....
I disagree. I think it'd be fun. Loaded with singalongs. I don't think they do either of the prog albums. Kid A would be too tough to pull off live and vocally. Hunky Dory is too down-tempo and piano-driven; if they were going to do Bowie, they would have done Ziggy. I'm not sure if Trey wants to take on Hendrix (calm down, guys, I'm not saying he can't, just that he probably won't), but Electric Ladyland is a possibility. That leaves Purple Rain and Exile. :lmao:

Nigel Tufnel said:
Reaper said:
Nigel Tufnel said:
Exile, While a great work, wouldn't be anything special or that different IMO....
I disagree. I think it'd be fun. Loaded with singalongs. I don't think they do either of the prog albums. Kid A would be too tough to pull off live and vocally. Hunky Dory is too down-tempo and piano-driven; if they were going to do Bowie, they would have done Ziggy. I'm not sure if Trey wants to take on Hendrix (calm down, guys, I'm not saying he can't, just that he probably won't), but Electric Ladyland is a possibility. That leaves Purple Rain and Exile. :thumbup:
Both these albums feature tunes (lovin' cup & purple rain) that Phish has covered forever -- does that make you think they will or won't go there?

Nigel Tufnel said:
Reaper said:
Nigel Tufnel said:
I disagree. I think it'd be fun. Loaded with singalongs. I don't think they do either of the prog albums. Kid A would be too tough to pull off live and vocally. Hunky Dory is too down-tempo and piano-driven; if they were going to do Bowie, they would have done Ziggy. I'm not sure if Trey wants to take on Hendrix (calm down, guys, I'm not saying he can't, just that he probably won't), but Electric Ladyland is a possibility. That leaves Purple Rain and Exile. :no:
Both these albums feature tunes (lovin' cup & purple rain) that Phish has covered forever -- does that make you think they will or won't go there?
See, I have no clue. I kind of wanted them to go completely off the map. If so, all bets are off. Still fun to talk about it.

Users who are viewing this thread