What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

There's nothing wrong with getting outshone by your wife, especially if she's Beyonce but Jay-Z definitely deserves second billing on "Everything is Love".  Bey dominates the melodies as you'd expect but her raps are ones from the album that stick with you.  There are some tracks where Jay gets relegated to a featured artist with one verse and some background vocals on the chorus.  His flow and turns are well established by this point and he occasionally verges on self-parody.  I guess he has more right to imitate himself than everybody else who has done so over the years.  The lyrics are interesting as a real-time reality show about everyone's favorite African-American billionaire couple.  Like other Tidal exclusives, it's kind of a pain to track down but for me it was well worth the bother.

There's nothing wrong with getting outshone by your wife, especially if she's Beyonce but Jay-Z definitely deserves second billing on "Everything is Love".  Bey dominates the melodies as you'd expect but her raps are ones from the album that stick with you.  There are some tracks where Jay gets relegated to a featured artist with one verse and some background vocals on the chorus.  His flow and turns are well established by this point and he occasionally verges on self-parody.  I guess he has more right to imitate himself than everybody else who has done so over the years.  The lyrics are interesting as a real-time reality show about everyone's favorite African-American billionaire couple.  Like other Tidal exclusives, it's kind of a pain to track down but for me it was well worth the bother.
Looking forward to hearing it but going to have to wait till it’s not just on tidal. Not paying for another service. I imagine it’ll be on Apple Music next week. 

Looking forward to hearing it but going to have to wait till it’s not just on tidal. Not paying for another service. I imagine it’ll be on Apple Music next week. 
I see articles saying it’s on Apple but I can’t find it. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
The album feels like it was originally Beyonce's album then they decided to make it The Carters and Jay jumped on a few tracks.  Not bad though

I'm liking Drake's "Scorpion" so far.  One time through.  Been liking God's Plan and Nice for What for awhile already.   25 tracks???

I'm liking Drake's "Scorpion" so far.  One time through.  Been liking God's Plan and Nice for What for awhile already.   25 tracks???
It's a double "album" technically.

Hit and miss for me.  I like the Jay Z song.  Mostly it's about what I'd expect from a Drake album.  Some sleepy R&B songs, a few pop rap songs, and a few nice heavy ones.  Average for me. 

Media filters Drake well. A few bangers come up to the surface, and that's all that I hear. He casts a wide net. I'm wearing a Bloc Party shirt right now. Time to get back to the Dance Punk Revolution thread.  

That's the whole point of a double album is to appeal to as many audiences and use as many styles as you can. Same thing with Breezy's Heartbreak on a Full Moon. There's a little something for everyone.

Media filters Drake well. A few bangers come up to the surface, and that's all that I hear. He casts a wide net. I'm wearing a Bloc Party shirt right now. Time to get back to the Dance Punk Revolution thread.  
Crazy but I think I heard all 25 songs of that Drake album were on the Billboard Hot 100. 

Crazy but I think I heard all 25 songs of that Drake album were on the Billboard Hot 100. 
Yup, and 7 in the top 10 of the hot 100. Which is some bull####. Scorpion is by far the worst of his studio albums. I guess at some point your legend gets so big that it just doesn't matter the quality that you put out.

Yup, and 7 in the top 10 of the hot 100. Which is some bull####. Scorpion is by far the worst of his studio albums. I guess at some point your legend gets so big that it just doesn't matter the quality that you put out.
I like a lot of it, but like many Drake albums I find it better as background music for a party, treadmill run, etc. I rarely find a song by him I really like and want to put on to jam too. 

John Bender said:
After "Cops Shot The Kid", the new nas album is very meh :/
I like everything and Adam and Eve as well. 

Two ways of looking at it; 3 good songs and 4 trash ones on a 7-song album is pretty bad. Other way is he’s in his mid-40s and doesn’t have his fastball anymore so anything is a plus. 

Fwiw I think he’s done. He doesn’t seem motivated to make music anymore. I’m supposed to go see him at Red Rocks in Denver next week and I don’t even know if I want to bother to wait 3 hours to see Nas come out high and half-### a performance on a work night. 

I like everything and Adam and Eve as well. 

Two ways of looking at it; 3 good songs and 4 trash ones on a 7-song album is pretty bad. Other way is he’s in his mid-40s and doesn’t have his fastball anymore so anything is a plus. 

Fwiw I think he’s done. He doesn’t seem motivated to make music anymore. I’m supposed to go see him at Red Rocks in Denver next week and I don’t even know if I want to bother to wait 3 hours to see Nas come out high and half-### a performance on a work night. 
Damn are his live shows falling off?  I saw him like 5 years ago and he put on a great live show.

From what I’ve read he’s come out drunk and/or high to a lot of recent shows. 
:lmao:   it seems alot of older artists are falling off.  Lauryn hills shows are just a mess.  I saw slick rick a few years back and he was atrocious.  Doom may or may not show up.  Wu will show up like 3 hours late.  lol damn shame.

:lmao:   it seems alot of older artists are falling off.  Lauryn hills shows are just a mess.  I saw slick rick a few years back and he was atrocious.  Doom may or may not show up.  Wu will show up like 3 hours late.  lol damn shame.
Yea man it’s always been hard to see a good timely rap concert but I’m not even sure I want to bother anymore. 

Just look at it the way drunk punks look at drunk punk shows. 

It's like John Forte. Anything can happen. Say what say what say what...anything can happen. 

It's the carnival.  

That's a lyric from Wyclef's Carnival, for those that aren't getting my free association. 

One of the greatest hip hop albums of the nineties, of course.  

John Bender said:
I guess he finally got "touched".

I heard they got done robbing him and didn't let him go (going to kill him?), and so he jumped out of the moving vehicle and took off.
Did he catch a bullet in his bubblegoose?  

Speaking of 6ix9ine.

This is one of the worst songs every released correct?

I'm not a hater, I like Gotti for a car ride.  I like Billy and Kooda for leg day at the gym, but this is hot garbage.

Speaking of 6ix9ine.

This is one of the worst songs every released correct?

I'm not a hater, I like Gotti for a car ride.  I like Billy and Kooda for leg day at the gym, but this is hot garbage.
The song isn't bad.  22 million views in a day is something else.  As much as I want to hate him, I have to respect his come up in such a short period of time.

As far as mumble rappers go, been through the new Travis Scott album a few times, it's quite good relative to all else out right now.

4 out of 5 stars for me.

Pretty cool video too for Sicko Mode (someone made it, it's not official)

KRS-One still puts on a heck of a show. I saw him at some spot when I was in Cali earlier this year, tickets were a mere $5. That's right $5. I thought he was going to show up and say hi and be out. Not the Blastmaster! He rocked for over an hour!

KRS-One still puts on a heck of a show. I saw him at some spot when I was in Cali earlier this year, tickets were a mere $5. That's right $5. I thought he was going to show up and say hi and be out. Not the Blastmaster! He rocked for over an hour!
so true.  Every time i have seen KRS he does not dissapoint.  Him and Busta are probably the best live performers i have seen. 

Crazy how cheap you can see legends for nowadays.  Shame hip hop doesn't respect its pioneers like other genres.  

Crazy how cheap you can see legends for nowadays.  Shame hip hop doesn't respect its pioneers like other genres.  
Yeah I thought my wife was lying when she told me how much the tickets were. Saw a flyer for the Migos at the same venue for a couple of weeks after the KRS show, I think they wanted $100 for those tickets. The venue was the observatory in Santa Ana

First saw KRS-1 with BDP back in '88, tossing jimmy hats into the crowd.  It's amazing he's still killing it.

Just saw Mace at a pool party in Vegas  :banned: basically for free.  But he hasn't held up as well as KRS-1, he was very  :thumbdown: , not even worth $5.

Yeah I thought my wife was lying when she told me how much the tickets were. Saw a flyer for the Migos at the same venue for a couple of weeks after the KRS show, I think they wanted $100 for those tickets. The venue was the observatory in Santa Ana
I've been there. You live in CA?  

No, but wife is from Compton so we travel out west about once a year or so
Gotcha. I've been to the venue a few times, actually. It's pretty nice. I can't believe Migos are pulling hundred dollar tickets. Rap/Hip Hop has passed me by, for sure.  

Users who are viewing this thread