What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (1 Viewer)

https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”
oh suuure she did.  :eyeroll:

Who cares what she says on her deathbed?  The USSC isn't her personal business or company.  Nor is she the emporer of Rome.   She doesn't get to decide who her heir is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree on the ‘no matter what’. If they confirm an ultra conservative judge some may be less motivated to vote Trump. If they leave that ‘immediate new Supreme Court Justice hanging out in the election, it could very will be the reason why Trump gets another 4 years. Mitch is a lot of things but he knows the political game. My guess is that if he thinks Trump has any chance of winning, he’ll turn the seat into a campaign issue.
The seat isn't getting filled before the election.  It will be a campaign issue.  The problem is that even if Dems win the White House and the Senate, Republicans can still push someone through after the election is over.

oh suuure she did.  :eyeroll:

Who cares what she says on her deathbed?
This is such a sad, cold, callous and disrespectful response to her death and her last messge - I can't respond to this any further without being permabanned.

Pretend that Garland never happened. Is there a legitimate reason why Trump shouldn’t be able to put up a nominee and have the Senate hold a confirmation vote? Or is the only argument McConnell’s hypocrisy?

This is such a sad, cold, callous and disrespectful response to her death and her last messge - I can't respond to this without being permabanned.
She's not the emperor of Rome.  She doesn't get to decided and make wishes on who takes her spot and when.  Grow up already.

IF that is what she actually said - but that's a bunch of BS.  Made up nonsense to stir up the masses.  She died of pancreatic cancer - she probably wasn't even lucid enough to say "hello", much less make some statement about when they should pick her replacement.

I highly doubt she said that.

You really want conservatives to come out in droves on election day?  That'll do it.  No way they'll let another Obama take this country even further down.  She did, after all, hate her country until her husband got elected.
I'd prefer AOC but she hasn't been to law school so it's a bit of a stretch.

She's not the emperor of Rome.  She doesn't get to decided and make wishes on who takes her spot and when.  Grow up already.

IF that is what she actually said - but that's a bunch of BS.  Made up nonsense to stir up the masses.
Of course she doesn’t get to decide. But she gets to express her feelings on her deathbed. Please try to be more respectful. 

Pretend that Gorsuch never happened. Is there a legitimate reason why Trump shouldn’t be able to put up a nominee and have the Senate hold a confirmation vote? Or is the only argument McConnell’s hypocrisy?
No there isn't. But the fact that they stole a USSC seat from Obama 5 years ago because it was an election year would make it for the same Senate majority leader to rush a nomination through 6 weeks before an election or in a lame duck session egregious. 

Pretend that Gorsuch never happened. Is there a legitimate reason why Trump shouldn’t be able to put up a nominee and have the Senate hold a confirmation vote? Or is the only argument McConnell’s hypocrisy?
I think the "legitimate" argument is really one of timing.

All SC nominees should be properly vetted, and not rushed through.  Is there enough time to do that?

Then I think you have a practical issue - this becomes a political hot potato where the GOP are already in danger of losing closely contested seats.  I think they would want to hold off until they get their voters to the polls.

No there isn't. But the fact that they stole a USSC seat from Obama 5 years ago because it was an election year would make it for the same Senate majority leader to rush a nomination through 6 weeks before an election or in a lame duck session egregious. 
They didn't "steal" anything.  It was all perfectly legal under the Constitution.

Of course she doesn’t get to decide. But she gets to express her feelings on her deathbed. Please try to be more respectful. 
Hang on a second...You think she ACTUALLY said that?  And even if she did, why air it out?

Simply put, to try and appeal to emotion.  I would say that is more disrespectful to the American people and the US Constitution than it is me being disrespectful to her.

Hang on a second...You think she ACTUALLY said that?  And even if she did, why air it out?

Simply put, to try and appeal to emotion.  I would say that is more disrespectful to the American people and the US Constitution than it is me being disrespectful to her.
I disagree. 

Under that standard, there is also nothing keeping the Democrats from adding as many justices as they want if they win the Presidency and Senate right? 
The Judiciary Act of 1869(1870?, something) sets the number of Justices. Another act of Congress can change it.

And that’s the quandary for me. I thought what happened with Gorsuch was despicable. And while I guess I shouldn’t have been, I was shocked by the complete lack of shame people had in defending McConnell’s actions there (particularly if they also defend his likely actions here without admitting the hypocrisy).  But I really do try to be a principled person, so I’m having difficulty reaching a conclusion that Trump should be denied hearings on his nominee. 

In this case, yes, absolutely.
I'm not going to belabor the point with you any further, but needles to say you are incorrect in your assessment because you're all emotional right now.

We can talk about this later when you've calmed down a bit.  Ping me when you're ready.

And that’s the quandary for me. I thought what happened with Gorsuch was despicable. And while I guess I shouldn’t have been, I was shocked by the complete lack of shame people had in defending McConnell’s actions there (particularly if they also defend his likely actions here without admitting the hypocrisy).  But I really do try to be a principled person, so I’m having difficulty reaching a conclusion that Trump should be denied hearings on his nominee. 
Well, the principle would be that "the rules changed", and the principled approach would be to play by the same rules.

I don't think the GOP have the votes to push this through before an election.  But, I am not opposed if they try.

He shouldn't be. 

Saying “who cares what she says on her deathbed?” mere hours after she died is disrespectful.
I disagree, but maybe I could have said, "Who cares that she said that (if true)?".  Of course people like her family care.  I was talking about it from a political perspective.

But that was a totally made up quote.  I refuse to believe she said that.

The seat isn't getting filled before the election.  It will be a campaign issue.  The problem is that even if Dems win the White House and the Senate, Republicans can still push someone through after the election is over.
Right I think this is the most likely scenario. However I don’t look at it as a problem

I think everyone probably agrees that there is a line.  A vacancy that comes up the week before the election should wait to be filled.  18 months would obviously be well outside the line.  Probably most unbiased people agree Garland was far enough away to be outside the line and voted on.  Where the line actually is...   :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread