What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2009 Thread (2 Viewers)

Jeff Saturday... WANTS to be a Steeler.

Saturday might be alright for signing

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It might be a shot in the dark, but it makes enough sense for the Steelers to at least consider the possibility of acquiring one of the NFL's top offensive linemen.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Friday, wants to join the Steelers. And not necessarily as a center.

"I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one."

Are the Steelers interested in adding a 10-year veteran who missed four games last season because of injuries? And, if they are interested, can they afford him?

Also, Justin Hartwig started every game at center, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Hartwig, who is entering the final year of his contract, doesn't turn 31 until November. Saturday turns 34 in June.

"He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said Tuesday.

The Steelers hope to re-sign Chris Kemoeatu, who is regarded as the top free-agent guard. But Kemoeatu likely will test the market.

Cindrich said Saturday compares favorably with another one of his clients, Steelers defensive captain James Farrior, who led the team in tackles and was named to his second Pro Bowl in his 12th season. Farrior is 34.

"I believe that James Farrior is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Jeff Saturday is equal to Farrior. He really controls the whole offensive line, makes every call," Cindrich said. "It's a Farrior-type situation, where age scares teams. Farrior's first four to five years, he didn't get beat up. Jeff is the same way."

As per team policy, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert won't discuss potential free agents.

One of the league's top centers, Saturday appeared in the Pro Bowl from 2005 through 2007 and is a two-time Pro Bowl alternate (2004, 2008). He was named AP All-NFL twice (2005, 2007).

He has started all 16 games in seven of nine seasons with Indianapolis since becoming a regular. He started 12 games in 2008, missing the first two weeks with a knee injury and weeks 13 and 14 with a calf injury.

During Saturday's absence, the Colts' offensive production fell off. In the 12 games that he started, the Colts averaged 25.1 points, 87.4 yards rushing and quarterback Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 98.1. In the four games that Saturday missed, the Colts averaged 19.0 points, 56.3 yards rushing and Manning had a passer rating of 86.3.

Cindrich said Saturday is choosing to wade into free agency after the Colts made an attempt to re-sign him.

"Unless the market is totally flat, I don't think (he'll return to the Colts)," Cindrich said. "I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers. They like to pay their own more than somebody else. Jeff came back from injury and played strong. I honestly believe he could make a difference."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_613269.html
Saturday > Kemo. Stapleton. Simmons.
I very well may make this article the background on my computer
Me too...

I KNOW this is never going to happen.....but that would make me a pretty happy Steelers fan, even if he could only play for a couple/three more seasons.

Plus, Saturday has gotten in Manning's grill on a few occasions over the years. Since I think Manning comes off as sort of a pud, that's worth a couple points in my book. :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
Choke said:
Jeff Saturday... WANTS to be a Steeler.

Saturday might be alright for signing

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It might be a shot in the dark, but it makes enough sense for the Steelers to at least consider the possibility of acquiring one of the NFL's top offensive linemen.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Friday, wants to join the Steelers. And not necessarily as a center.

"I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one."

Are the Steelers interested in adding a 10-year veteran who missed four games last season because of injuries? And, if they are interested, can they afford him?

Also, Justin Hartwig started every game at center, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Hartwig, who is entering the final year of his contract, doesn't turn 31 until November. Saturday turns 34 in June.

"He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said Tuesday.

The Steelers hope to re-sign Chris Kemoeatu, who is regarded as the top free-agent guard. But Kemoeatu likely will test the market.

Cindrich said Saturday compares favorably with another one of his clients, Steelers defensive captain James Farrior, who led the team in tackles and was named to his second Pro Bowl in his 12th season. Farrior is 34.

"I believe that James Farrior is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Jeff Saturday is equal to Farrior. He really controls the whole offensive line, makes every call," Cindrich said. "It's a Farrior-type situation, where age scares teams. Farrior's first four to five years, he didn't get beat up. Jeff is the same way."

As per team policy, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert won't discuss potential free agents.

One of the league's top centers, Saturday appeared in the Pro Bowl from 2005 through 2007 and is a two-time Pro Bowl alternate (2004, 2008). He was named AP All-NFL twice (2005, 2007).

He has started all 16 games in seven of nine seasons with Indianapolis since becoming a regular. He started 12 games in 2008, missing the first two weeks with a knee injury and weeks 13 and 14 with a calf injury.

During Saturday's absence, the Colts' offensive production fell off. In the 12 games that he started, the Colts averaged 25.1 points, 87.4 yards rushing and quarterback Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 98.1. In the four games that Saturday missed, the Colts averaged 19.0 points, 56.3 yards rushing and Manning had a passer rating of 86.3.

Cindrich said Saturday is choosing to wade into free agency after the Colts made an attempt to re-sign him.

"Unless the market is totally flat, I don't think (he'll return to the Colts)," Cindrich said. "I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers. They like to pay their own more than somebody else. Jeff came back from injury and played strong. I honestly believe he could make a difference."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_613269.html
Saturday > Kemo. Stapleton. Simmons.
:confused: This would certainly be a step in the right direction, especially this early on.

As much as I would love to see I get the feeling this is just Saturday's agent driving up his asking price. With Starks accepting the franchise tag I don't think there is enough cash to sign Saturday.

It would be nice though...

As much as I would love to see I get the feeling this is just Saturday's agent driving up his asking price. With Starks accepting the franchise tag I don't think there is enough cash to sign Saturday.

They can work out a long term deal, he is not locked in at that salary until June/July 1st, and I think that is there intention.

Don't get me wrong. Saturday would be an improvement, but signing 34 year olds to long, lucrative contracts that their age and health will likely not let the player live up to is not the Colbert/Rooney way. Leave those guys to Dan Snyder and Al Davis.

They can work out a long term deal, he is not locked in at that salary until June/July 1st, and I think that is there intention.
While he is not locked into that amount my understanding is the franchise amount will be factored into the team's salary cap when FA begins on Friday. Unless they sign Starks to a long term deal in the next couple days they're going to miss out on the higher profile players like Saturday and McFadden and even bums like Kemoeatu who is expecting a big pay raise.The rules for the uncapped year also come into play here. I believe there are rules where a player cannot be signed to a contract that has a salary that increases by more than 30% per year. This means that desirable players will most likely require a huge signing bonus -- something the Steelers typically do not do.

Don't get me wrong. Saturday would be an improvement, but signing 34 year olds to long, lucrative contracts that their age and health will likely not let the player live up to is not the Colbert/Rooney way. Leave those guys to Dan Snyder and Al Davis.
:goodposting: The Steelers rarely sign aging players to anything much over league minimum. Unless he is willing to give the Steelers a nice discount (and why would he?) his chances of playing for the Steelers next season is slim.

If the Steelers were planning to spend and big FA $s, I would think Jason Brown would be the target. A guy they could sign and afford and get continuing performance from, if not increasing performance. He can play C or G and is considered the best young C prospect. We haven't landed a stud C in a long, long time. I'd rather pay him high G $ than Kemo.

If the Steelers were planning to spend and big FA $s, I would think Jason Brown would be the target. A guy they could sign and afford and get continuing performance from, if not increasing performance. He can play C or G and is considered the best young C prospect. We haven't landed a stud C in a long, long time. I'd rather pay him high G $ than Kemo.
We have more problems at T than G.

Both are equally troubling, in my estimation.

I really think we'll be able to get a T at the end of the 1st. We may have to get by with what we have on the O-line for a year if we draft 'em though. I'm not so sure about day-1 starters. I'm thinking that Brown would make a better G than Kemo and wouldn't cost a ton more. He could also end up being a long-term solution at C if we can also get a decent G in the 2nd. If Kemo isn't willing to give a good hometown discount, I think he'll command decent $ on the FA market and be difficult to retain (just look at some of the $ average starting Gs are getting lateley - it's not much more than the top ones).

There's good depth for 3-4 defenses in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th from what I can tell too. CBs have some good prospects for the 2nd & 3rd rounds also. This draft is just about tailor-made for us. I would also not be opposed to some of the stud 3-4 OLB prospects at the end of the 1st (Harrison's deal is about done, franchise him for a year or two and have one of these English/Matthews guys ready to roll on in '10 or '11) if the OTs are dried up like last year. They did take Timmons recently, expecting him to play outside. Maybe that's where they were already thinking, especialy when you think of the B.Davis draft pick in the 3rd last year and that he hasn't seemed to impress anybody.

I'll also throw out CB as a possibility in the late 1st. There are some excellent-looking CBs to go in the late 1st, early 2nd. We have Tomlin, formerly a good DBs coach, who has done good things with our secondary and we may be losing McFadden. Townsend is getting really long in the tooth, was not a top physical stud to begin with, and nothing but Gay behind him (not a bad option, but a draft pick for depth and hopefully a starter sooner rather than later would be good).

In all, O-line is a bigger need now, but as a recent Lombardi Trophy said recently, "[Cookiemonster] it's good enough for me. [/Cookiemonster]"

If Saturday is telling his agent to "make it happen" or "get me there" maybe he is willing to take a significant paycut? I'd like them to sign Kemo because I think he is going to really pan out. What is Simmons situation, cap and otherwise at this point? Can we cut him and have room to sign Kemo and Saturday?

As much as I would love to see I get the feeling this is just Saturday's agent driving up his asking price. With Starks accepting the franchise tag I don't think there is enough cash to sign Saturday. It would be nice though...
Could be but Saturday's agent is Ralph Cindrich, a Pittsburgher. He's tied in pretty well with the Steelers and brought Farrior here years ago along with o-linemen Tom Myslinski and Jim Sweeney. Vets that want to play on winners. Also represented Dermontti Dawson.I think all other FA signings are dependent upon working out long-term deals with Starks and Harrison at reasonable 2009 prices.

Brandon Moore or Jason Brown via FA would be nice. Doubt they can create the cap space to get either.

Eben Britton and/or Jamon Meredith in the draft. If we can't get one of the above FA's than please let the last sentence be and instead of or.

Unless Arians/Zierlein are converting to a full blown ZBS, I just don't get how Saturday would offer an upgrade.

FWIW Kemoeatu gave up more sacks in 2008 than Saturday has in his ten year career. Saturday is also penalized much less according to STATS. Probably not the run-blocker Kemo is but it's not as if the Steelers run-blocking was great last year anyway. If they can get Saturday for less than Kemoeatu over 2-3 years I think it would be a nice play and might help Ben stay upright.

Brandon Moore or Jason Brown via FA would be nice. Doubt they can create the cap space to get either.

Eben Britton and/or Jamon Meredith in the draft. If we can't get one of the above FA's than please let the last sentence be and instead of or.

Unless Arians/Zierlein are converting to a full blown ZBS, I just don't get how Saturday would offer an upgrade.
Farrior could go - Timmons is ready, and we have Foote for another couple years. That could give Foot the leverage to hold out for a new contract though. Marvel is gone. Kemo could walk. How much $ is that? Is Simmons cuttable? McFadden gets away? There's money to be had if we want it. Would having Brown be worth losing some of these guys? I'd have to think so. We did without Marvel & Simmons for a while anyways. McFadden is good, but not irreplaceable. Farrior would be the biggest loss, but replacing a 34 (?) year old LB will have to be done sooner or later. Drafting a T and moving Colon to G with Brown on the other side seems like a good idea to me. Shoot for another late 1st OG next year and maybe the year after Brown becomes our next Hartings at C.

Both are equally troubling, in my estimation.
:lmao: From the stats site, all positions were equally bad. Adding up all the sacks allowed by the Sillers lineman listed:

Center - Hartwig - 6.5

Guard - Kemo/Simmons/Stapleton - 13.75

Tackle - Starks/Smith/Colon/Essex - 13.5

All the more reason why I want to see at least 6 draft picks going to OL & DL

Farrior could go - Timmons is ready, and we have Foote for another couple years. That could give Foot the leverage to hold out for a new contract though.
:unsure: The Steelers just signed Farrior to a 5-year extension last summer. Barring injury he's going to be around for a while.

Farrior could go - Timmons is ready, and we have Foote for another couple years. That could give Foot the leverage to hold out for a new contract though.
:goodposting: The Steelers just signed Farrior to a 5-year extension last summer. Barring injury he's going to be around for a while.
Thanks, I missed that. 5 for 18.25 is not a bad deal either. He won't underlive any of those salaries unless he's injured or retired. Also not too expensive to cut, but he's well worth the $ if you ask me.

Hadn't thought about 2010 consequenses too much yet.

There's good depth for 3-4 defenses in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th from what I can tell too. CBs have some good prospects for the 2nd & 3rd rounds also. This draft is just about tailor-made for us. I would also not be opposed to some of the stud 3-4 OLB prospects at the end of the 1st .Harrison's deal is about done, franchise him for a year or two and have one of these English/Matthews guys ready to roll on in '10 or '11. If the OTs are dried up like last year. They did take Timmons recently, expecting him to play outside. Maybe that's where they were already thinking, especialy when you think of the B.Davis draft pick in the 3rd last year and that he hasn't seemed to impress anybody.
(KFFL) Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers and the agent for LB James Harrison continue to talk about a contract extension but the possibility of no salary cap in 2010 is complicating the discussion. The rules during an uncapped year would be a player's base salary can only increase by 30 percent each year based on their 2009 base salary and no contracts can be more than five years in length. "We're trying to work through some numbers; it's so difficult without this collective bargaining agreement because the rules are much, much, much different," said Bill Parise, Harrison's agent. "We're trying to accomplish something here and we have a very restrictive environment to work in. ... We're not adversaries; we're trying to work to get this thing resolved." (Web Site Link)

Issue is over money, not lengthBy James WalkerESPN.comWhen you pit the reigning Super Bowl champions against the league's defensive MVP in contract negotiations, there are bound to be rough patches.For the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison, this is one of those times, as the sides remain far apart in negotiations, Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN.com Wednesday."We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said. "I would say talks are progressing but not necessarily yielding the results that we would expect."Barring something unforeseen, the Steelers are not expected to have a deal in place with Harrison before the start of free agency on Friday.Length is not the primary issue. Both sides have discussed a deal in the range of five to six years. But the two sides are far apart monetarily and how it would be distributed over the length of the contract. The uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, with talks possibly starting this spring, also is something both sides have to work through.Harrison, 30, is not due to become a free agent until 2010."I think the Steelers are trying to get a deal done, too," Parise said. "It's just right now we're not close."Harrison, a two-time Pro Bowler, registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh last season. He also had the longest interception return in Super Bowl history of 100 yards in the win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

Choke said:
(and why would he?)
He may be more about football then anything else at this point. Provided he isnt getting shafted with his paycheck.The Steelers could be what he wants and may offer him the best shot at a title and additional HOF votes someday. :goodposting:
Maybe but money talks. This is Saturday's final payday -- I could be wrong but I really doubt he is going to take substantially less to play for the Steelers.

I still think Saturday re-signs in Indy and it sounds to me like the Steelers first priority at guard is Kemoeatu. If Kemo and Saturday are off the market then what? Stapleton?

Post-Gazette is reporting that Colon was hit with the highest tender:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09057/951905-66.stm

Guess that means he's practically guaranteed to be starting someplace on the line now(and solidifies the apparent fact that the coaching staff, for whatever reason, likes him a whole lot more as a player than just about everyone else in the English speaking world does.) No team in their right gourd is giving up a first rounder for Willie Colon.

Post-Gazette is reporting that Colon was hit with the highest tender:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09057/951905-66.stm

Guess that means he's practically guaranteed to be starting someplace on the line now(and solidifies the apparent fact that the coaching staff, for whatever reason, likes him a whole lot more as a player than just about everyone else in the English speaking world does.) No team in their right gourd is giving up a first rounder for Willie Colon.
So maybe the Lions or the Raiders then?

Eeerppp...

The Steelers today released starting guard Kendall Simmons, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Simmons had an Achilles tendon torn in the fourth game of last season and was placed on injured reserve and did not play again.
He had a decent sized cap number, didnt he? This should open the door for Saturday and/or Kemo if a longterm deal with Starks is reached.

A Steeler buddy and I were discussing Simmons yesterday/earlier today. He cost almost the exact same to cut this season as he does to keep. I'm not totally shocked by it. An Achilles injury isn't exactly something "meh." There's a chance that Simmons was never going to be able to play again, at a level required to contribute, anyway. Not like he could afford to take any steps back, either.

This made me think about 3 things:

1. They must intend to carpet bomb that OL, via FA/draft/whatever. They've basically given themselves no choice, especially on the interior of the line.

2. They're probably re-signing Kemoeatu unless he gets a ridiculous offer from someone. Not exactly sure how happy I am about that since I think he was "The Weakest Link."

3. I wonder if Simmons can file any kind of grievance since he's technically "injured." No idea how those rules are structured anymore.

Should get a bit interesting over the next few weeks, certainly.

Eeerppp...

The Steelers today released starting guard Kendall Simmons, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Simmons had an Achilles tendon torn in the fourth game of last season and was placed on injured reserve and did not play again.
Oh wow

The plot thickens. I wonder if Simmons diabetes and injury history pushed him out the door here. As bad as the OL was last year could this all be for the best? Kemoeatu, Simmons, Marvel and Essex all out the door. Darnell Stapleton must be feeling pretty good today, although I didn't think he was considered more than a back-up. The Steelers will certainly bring in a FA guard now you'd think and also need to take an OL at 32.

I still think Saturday re-signs in Indy and it sounds to me like the Steelers first priority at guard is Kemoeatu. If Kemo and Saturday are off the market then what? Stapleton?
At this point:LT Starks, LG Simmons, C Hartwig, RG Stapleton, RT Colon
Jason Brown looking better to anyone? Draft a T (I'm pretty sure there would be one available who was valuable enough to justify taking one due to need). Have Colon move into G if the rook is good enough. If he's not, then hopefully next year. I think it'd be an upgrade from last year's line either way. I think Brown is almost necessary unless Stapleton is better than we all think.

I get the feeling the Steelers are going to be content with "getting the band back together" for 2009 and they're just going to re-sign Kemoeatu.

Hopefully, that isn't going to stop them from aggressively addressing the OL in the draft. It would just mean that they wouldn't be going into the season necessarily relying on any of the rookies to start(although they'd probably be fine if any of them forced Stapleton/et al to the bench.)

For the record, I kinda like Brown.

A Steeler buddy and I were discussing Simmons yesterday/earlier today. He cost almost the exact same to cut this season as he does to keep. I'm not totally shocked by it. An Achilles injury isn't exactly something "meh." There's a chance that Simmons was never going to be able to play again, at a level required to contribute, anyway.
I am not shocked by it but a little surprised considering there is no cap savings (this year) and the lack of depth the Steelers have on the o-line. Still I am glad to see him go -- I didn't think he was playing that well before he got hurt and it is good to see the Steelers weren't banking on him. Addition by subtraction -- I like it.

PFT reporting that Jets offering Kemo $4m/year
Looks like Kemo is stayinghttp://www.postgazette.com/pg/09058/952109-66.stm

Steelers reach agreement with Kemoeatu

Friday, February 27, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.

The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.
The Jets really like the Steelers G's. The difference with Kemo is he is about 3 years younger than Faneca.

Not his biggest fan, but having him is far better than not.

Hopefully, they'll add one of the following in two months...

William Beatty

Max Unger

Alex Mack

The Jets really like the Steelers G's. The difference with Kemo is he is about 3 years younger than Faneca.
3 years? More like 6, I'd think.

At this point, it looks to me like they're going to draft a guard they think can start right away and leave Starks and Colon at the T spots with Kemo and Hartwig inside. They can't think Stapleton is starter material, I would not be remotely surprised to see them grab a guy like Unger, Levitre, or Robinson in round 2 and draft a CB, LB, or DE in the first.

I am not crazy about Kemo but they had to do something I guess...
How much of the contract is guaranteed? At 5 yr/$20 million, I can live with it. He's got to calm down a bit, but of the incumbent starters, he probably has the highest ceiling/most room to improve.I think they're doing this because Colbert knows the tackles with the round 1 grades are going to be long gone before they pick (he mentioned he liked 6 or 7 T in this draft - I guess J.Smith, A.Smith, Monroe, Oher, Britton, Meredith, maybe Beatty) so they're either going to have to wait until round 2 or later to get a tackle or reach for a guy like Loadholt, who is very limited, in round 1. I think they figure the value is going to be at other positions, like corner or DE in round 1, so they're re-signing as many guys as they can figuring they can pick up some interior line depth in rounds 2 and on and hope someone (either Hills or someone drafted this year) pans out. Keeping Kemo keeps them from having to shift Colon to guard, so they have 2 experienced tackles at the very least.Again, not saying this is or isn't the best strategy here, but rather what I think they're thinking. Free agency for a mid-grade guy is also a possibility - the line is one place that the Steelers have never minded spending free agent $$ when they think a guy is a good fit in their system.

How much of the contract is guaranteed? At 5 yr/$20 million, I can live with it. He's got to calm down a bit, but of the incumbent starters, he probably has the highest ceiling/most room to improve.I think they're doing this because Colbert knows the tackles with the round 1 grades are going to be long gone before they pick (he mentioned he liked 6 or 7 T in this draft - I guess J.Smith, A.Smith, Monroe, Oher, Britton, Meredith, maybe Beatty) so they're either going to have to wait until round 2 or later to get a tackle or reach for a guy like Loadholt, who is very limited, in round 1. I think they figure the value is going to be at other positions, like corner or DE in round 1, so they're re-signing as many guys as they can figuring they can pick up some interior line depth in rounds 2 and on and hope someone (either Hills or someone drafted this year) pans out. Keeping Kemo keeps them from having to shift Colon to guard, so they have 2 experienced tackles at the very least.Again, not saying this is or isn't the best strategy here, but rather what I think they're thinking. Free agency for a mid-grade guy is also a possibility - the line is one place that the Steelers have never minded spending free agent $ when they think a guy is a good fit in their system.
$6 mil guaranteed from what I have read.

How much of the contract is guaranteed? At 5 yr/$20 million, I can live with it. He's got to calm down a bit, but of the incumbent starters, he probably has the highest ceiling/most room to improve.I think they're doing this because Colbert knows the tackles with the round 1 grades are going to be long gone before they pick (he mentioned he liked 6 or 7 T in this draft - I guess J.Smith, A.Smith, Monroe, Oher, Britton, Meredith, maybe Beatty) so they're either going to have to wait until round 2 or later to get a tackle or reach for a guy like Loadholt, who is very limited, in round 1. I think they figure the value is going to be at other positions, like corner or DE in round 1, so they're re-signing as many guys as they can figuring they can pick up some interior line depth in rounds 2 and on and hope someone (either Hills or someone drafted this year) pans out. Keeping Kemo keeps them from having to shift Colon to guard, so they have 2 experienced tackles at the very least.Again, not saying this is or isn't the best strategy here, but rather what I think they're thinking. Free agency for a mid-grade guy is also a possibility - the line is one place that the Steelers have never minded spending free agent $ when they think a guy is a good fit in their system.
$6 mil guaranteed from what I have read.
That's not bad. I think it's a reasonable signing.. they didn't overpay for him, which is what I hoped to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread