What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2013 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

OSB to be back in 2014 per JD.

Probably thoughts for the 2014 thread, but my priorities coming out of this season.

1. Solve 1st base/Left Field situation. Agree with Culdeus. You need bigger production from your corners, not the feeble numbers Murph and Moreland put up. I think Rios should be just fine in Right, but this team needs more power, more bats that the other guys worry about. I don't see Cruz back unless he takes a big pay cut. If he does, then an OF of Rios/Martin/Cruz would be interesting.

2. Solve the Andrus/Kinsler/Profar threesome issue. Talked too much about, but I don't want to see 2014 with Profar starting on the bench. Either start him or trade him. And if you feel Kinsler can be your solution at 1B or LF, get him a glove today and get the transition started.

3. Find some stability at Catcher. With this pitching staff young and should be around for a while, it would be nice getting that battery mate that will be around for a few years. Feels like we haven't had that for some time.
I think you do see Cruz back. He's a huge ? guy. Lots of clubs may not want him in there. Houston may be the only real fit.

As a 2+ WAR corner OF guy he's probably looking at 15/per though. I just don't see many better options. Isn't he arb eligable this year? Or was that last? Steroids might actually reduce the terms on the deal to something like 15/15/15/CO20 or something. I don't know how many will jump at the chance to do a 5/100 type deal. Then again the TV deals people are getting are insane.

1B is a huge, huge hole. Not sure why Mimo got so much leash this year. Other than what? A 3 week stretch he was god awful.

Some people have the pipe dream of lowballing Cano after flipping one of Kinsler or Profar to the Cardinals for deep A hitting prospects and sending the other to the OF. Lol at Cano though. Dude wants like 30/yr.

Probably thoughts for the 2014 thread, but my priorities coming out of this season.

1. Solve 1st base/Left Field situation. Agree with Culdeus. You need bigger production from your corners, not the feeble numbers Murph and Moreland put up. I think Rios should be just fine in Right, but this team needs more power, more bats that the other guys worry about. I don't see Cruz back unless he takes a big pay cut. If he does, then an OF of Rios/Martin/Cruz would be interesting.

2. Solve the Andrus/Kinsler/Profar threesome issue. Talked too much about, but I don't want to see 2014 with Profar starting on the bench. Either start him or trade him. And if you feel Kinsler can be your solution at 1B or LF, get him a glove today and get the transition started.

3. Find some stability at Catcher. With this pitching staff young and should be around for a while, it would be nice getting that battery mate that will be around for a few years. Feels like we haven't had that for some time.
What about Garza and Nathan?
well, bye.

culdeus said:
Eephus said:
Bogart said:

well, bye.
Is Daniels the kind of guy who will pursue Garza in order to save face on the trade? Olt didn't hit any better in Iowa but C.J. Edwards has been climbing up some of the prospect lists.

culdeus said:
Eephus said:
Bogart said:

well, bye.
Is Daniels the kind of guy who will pursue Garza in order to save face on the trade? Olt didn't hit any better in Iowa but C.J. Edwards has been climbing up some of the prospect lists.
If Harrison looks like he'll be back at serviceable level he's the replacement. Ogando plays the 5th starter/longrelief role if he can ever get healthy enough to last a season.

I don't think Garza really blew anyone's doors off here. Not sure what his value is.

I'm guessing Garza gets CJ money 5/$80mm, slippery balls not included. I wouldn't mind seeing him back with us next year. I think he's a better pitcher than what he showed these last 2 months and would give us ammo to trade Holland, Harrison or Ogando for a bat.

Hoping they make Cruz a qualifying offer. They screwed up not giving Napoli a QO last year. Cruz at DH next year.

1st base is a mess. Not sure what they are going to do there. The Cuban?

I expect Nathan back. I'm guessing he gets a another option tacked onto his current deal.

I have mixed feelings about going after McCann. All the "experts" seem to think we are the favorite to land him.

quote:

First basemen

Jose Dariel Abreu (27)
Jeff Baker (33)
Corey Hart (32)
Mike Napoli (32)
Paul Konerko (38)
Casey Kotchman (31)
Adam Lind (30) - $7MM club option with a $2MM buyout
James Loney (30)
Kendrys Morales (30)
Justin Morneau (33)
Mike Morse (32)
Lyle Overbay (37)
Carlos Pena (36)
Mark Reynolds (30)
Kevin Youkilis (35)

DH

Lance Berkman (37) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jason Giambi (43)
Travis Hafner (37)
Raul Ibanez (42)
Kendrys Morales (30)
Luke Scott (36)
Delmon Young (28)
Michael Young (37)

quote:

First basemen

Jose Dariel Abreu (27)

Jeff Baker (33)

Corey Hart (32)

Mike Napoli (32)

Paul Konerko (38)

Casey Kotchman (31)

Adam Lind (30) - $7MM club option with a $2MM buyout

James Loney (30)

Kendrys Morales (30)

Justin Morneau (33)

Mike Morse (32)

Lyle Overbay (37)

Carlos Pena (36)

Mark Reynolds (30)

Kevin Youkilis (35)
I'd be ok with Corey Hart. Napoli too, obviously... The rest of that list...

From Jamey:

The Rangers have announced that they will not renew the contracts of bench coach Jackie Moore or first base coach Dave Anderson for the 2014 season. The remainder of Ron Washington’s coaching staff is expected to return.

The club did not address Moore’s or Anderson’s future beyond that, though one local report suggests Moore, 74, plans to retire, while it remains unclear whether Anderson could remain with the organization in a different capacity.
Can I apply to be the guy that hugs OSB after a win? Worth getting a few whiffs of his Marlboro breath to have that seat for every game.

Looks like drama is brewing between the Nolan camp and the JD camp. Over(after)/Under(before) November 8th, Nolan Ryan steps down? I'm going with before....

I don't understand how they kept Pettis in all this mess.
Do we know if he is a "JD guy" or a "Nolan guy"?

BTW, stupid comment from Jackie Moore in my opinion. Also, I would be really curious how you grade out the different coaches and decide who stays and who goes. I picture JD watching hours of tape just on the first base and third base coaches and coming up with a Base Coach WAR.

I imagine they just want to try somebody new to help coach the infielders. :shrug:

I'm glad they kept Pettis though. He seems like a well-liked and respected guy, who has some solid skins on the wall. He did mess up a few times coaching third, but it was his first year and there was a learning curve. He probably deserves some credit for Gentry and Martin's development in the outfield and on the bases.

I could see possibly putting Anderson's replacement at third and moving Pettis back to first, but he needs to stay on the staff.

I imagine they just want to try somebody new to help coach the infielders. :shrug:

I'm glad they kept Pettis though. He seems like a well-liked and respected guy, who has some solid skins on the wall. He did mess up a few times coaching third, but it was his first year and there was a learning curve. He probably deserves some credit for Gentry and Martin's development in the outfield and on the bases.

I could see possibly putting Anderson's replacement at third and moving Pettis back to first, but he needs to stay on the staff.
A few times? Outs on the bases went up 17% with Pettis at 3rd over Anderson. The station to station approach doesn't work in Ron's system so he had him canned despite it working better than the #### Pettis is shoveling over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

A few times? Outs on the bases went up 17% with Pettis at 3rd over Anderson. The station to station approach doesn't work in Ron's system so he had him canned despite it working better than the #### Pettis is shoveling over there.
If outs on the bases is the only measure, just throw up the stop sign every time and be the greatest third base coach of all time.

And I assume that includes runners picked off first (Ian>hey), those thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double, and those thrown out stealing. Not sure how any of that falls on the third base coach.

Regardless, they didn't have any choice but to be aggressive on the bases. Not with that lineup. Sure beats waiting for a home run that isn't going to come.

"insiders" say the following

Maddux looks gone for Cubs.

Cruz will get a 1Q

Nolan all but gone in an official day to day role.

JD has the better future with the organization. I hate, hate, hate to see Nolan go, but if it was one or the other, it's the right decision.

JD, Thad Levine and AJ Preller should all to get promotions in order to keep them from going anywhere else. The machine continues running.

Can we bring back Lewin yet?
:goodposting:

Unfortunately without Nolan's start power around we won't be landing anymore of these big name free agents.... I always love the hot stove talk of the FA's being enamored with Nolan and then signing elsewhere.... It's always going to be about the :moneybag: .

Not ready for a new thread, but I can't wrap my head around what they are going to do with Profar. I worry that it will be another year of being a super-utility guy as nothing happens with Kinsler or Andrus.

Someone threw out the idea of Profar playing third with the idea that DHing Beltre might keep him healthier for the September/October run. If you had some kind of 100/62 Profar/Beltre 3B split that might work, but if you can't get Kinsler off second, do you really think you are going to get Beltre off of third?

Are we getting a new thread or what?

Frasor 1-year $1.75 mil

Soto 1-year $3.05 mil

Cruz got a QO

Nathan declined his option and did not get a QO

Users who are viewing this thread