What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't think I can come up with 21. There's a few I would take over him for sure (in no order): Rodgers, Brady, Ben, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Winston, Mariota, Newton, Carr, and Luck. Cousins is a top half of the league QB. As for price? I have no idea what you pay him. As the cap continues to go up, it's also going to drive salaries up. Is Cousins worth $25M/yr? Probably not, but that's what it's going to cost to keep him. It's either that or starting over.

If that is the list, how many of them are available in the next 3 years? None.  They will either retire or stay where they are through contract or franchise tag. 

So who not on that list would stealers1080 say the redskins should replace him with?  If there isn't a good answer, he has to get re-signed.  

Wow. He was there forever. That stinks. 
They had moved him around a couple times before, trying to get him to walk away. Then when some of their new shows would flop, they'd revamp and bring him back. The ManCave flopped. The afternoon show with Czaban, Galdi, and Cooley was a disaster. I think Andy just hung on until they figured out he was better than their "new improved" programming and brought him back a couple times from obscure slots and roles. Sounds like he's gone for good this time.

Cooley gives him a run for his money.
Now that's true. Cooley's so used to being BMOC that he just walks all over his co-hosts. His afternoon show with Czaban and Galdi failed mainly for that reason. Now he's on with Sheehan, who's as strong-willed as he is, and I keep waiting for the inevitable on-air collision. They've come close, but no huge blowup yet.

Funniest part was the call-in show they always do the Monday after a Redskin game. After the first game this year, Cooley blew up, told the first caller he was stupid, that he didn't want to hear any of [opinion the caller had] any more, and that he'd hang up on anyone else who said the same thing. Sheehan told him "we've done this for years, fans get to call in and say what they want, that is how we do it."

I've hear nothing on an OC hire or promotion. Last I heard Callahan didn't want the job and Cavanaugh was probably going to be promoted, and Gruden would go back to calling plays. Hooray, let's go back to the successful way Gruden did things his first year here!

Now that's true. Cooley's so used to being BMOC that he just walks all over his co-hosts. His afternoon show with Czaban and Galdi failed mainly for that reason. Now he's on with Sheehan, who's as strong-willed as he is, and I keep waiting for the inevitable on-air collision. They've come close, but no huge blowup yet.

Funniest part was the call-in show they always do the Monday after a Redskin game. After the first game this year, Cooley blew up, told the first caller he was stupid, that he didn't want to hear any of [opinion the caller had] any more, and that he'd hang up on anyone else who said the same thing. Sheehan told him "we've done this for years, fans get to call in and say what they want, that is how we do it."
Loved Cooley the player. Cooley the radio personality is super annoying. Glad they moved him from 7-11 so I don't have to worry about hearing anything he says.

I've set up an interview. I told them I meet regularly with a bunch of coordinators to discuss defenses and what to do about the unstoppable Redskin passing game. If they ask me for references from those coordinators you guys will do that, right? I'm taking a gym bag to the interview, not wearing a suit. After the opening chit chat I'll open the gym bag, whip out 22 cans of PlayDough, set them up on the table as offensive and defensive teams, and ask someone to blow a whistle (also from gym bag). I'll move the offensive cans around but my defensive cans will just massacre them. I'll be doing double and triple jumps just like checkers. After the inevitable sack I'll pick up the cans, put them back in the bag, thank them for their time, and turn to leave. On my way out the door I'll say "damn I love the passing game".

Pretty sure I got this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pollin was on his second run with cohost Steve Czaban on “The Sports Reporters” afternoon show, which aired for the final time on Thursday (Jan. 19). The pair previously worked together for 13 years until the hiring of former Washington Redskin Chris Cooley and his pairing with Czaban in 2013. Pollin, in turn, moved to mornings on co-owned “Sports Talk 570” WSPZ, where he stayed for a year-and-a-half run. Last May, Cooley was awarded the 7am-11am daypart, thus creating a reunion of Pollin and Czaban and the revival of “The Sports Reporters.”
So they moved other people around to accomodate Cooley, who they''re probably paying a boatload of money, and they're cutting others due to budget reasons. If you're looking for a reason to dislike Cooley there you go.

Looks like Cavanaugh will get the OC job, since they're hiring a new QB coach. Not a very impressive resume.

The Redskins are reported to have a new quarterbacks coach. Normally that is not news that moves the needle much but if the report proves to be accurate the move has some big implications for the Redskins coaching staff. 

First, about the coach. Kevin O’Connell was most recently an offensive assistant with the 49ers. Prior to that he was a quarterback who spent time with the Patriots, who drafted him out of San Diego State in the third round in 2008, Lions, Jets, Dolphins, and Chargers. He only saw the field the Patriots and he attempted just six passes.
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/report-kevin-oconnell-be-hired-redskins-qb-coach-possibly-signaling-future-moves?utm_content=bufferf07ef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers would go "hard" after Kirk Cousins if he is available.

Even if the Redskins hit Cousins with another franchise tag, Schefter reports the 49ers may be willing to part with a trade package that includes the No. 2 overall pick to land the quarterback. With former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan almost certain to take over as head coach, Cousins would likely be open to a move to San Francisco. There is little doubt Washington will place the exclusive franchise tag on Cousins if the two sides cannot work out a long-term deal, but even that might not be the end of the saga. 

If this were to happen and we did lose cousins, i think i would want Gruden gone at that point and to do a full rebuild. 
Skins should be thinking rebuild anyways. With one of the league's hardest schedules next season, it's going to be a challenge to win 8 games, with or without Cousins.

Trade him for picks, draft defense hard, tank, draft Rosen in '18.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers would go "hard" after Kirk Cousins if he is available.

Even if the Redskins hit Cousins with another franchise tag, Schefter reports the 49ers may be willing to part with a trade package that includes the No. 2 overall pick to land the quarterback. With former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan almost certain to take over as head coach, Cousins would likely be open to a move to San Francisco. There is little doubt Washington will place the exclusive franchise tag on Cousins if the two sides cannot work out a long-term deal, but even that might not be the end of the saga. 
If we can get the #2 pick and another pick it'll be hard to turn this down and my first inclination is that they should do it. There are still so many roster needs on the Skins, Cousins is probably as valuable now as he'll ever be, and while McCoy isn't Cousins he isn't incompetent either and can bridge things til another QB is ready.

49ers would vault to the top of the division with Cousins at QB if not in 2017, by 2018 if he can master Shanahan's offense.

Redskins would look like morons yet again and drop to the basement for a long time. Gambling that they can get Rosen or Darnold the next year is quite a risk.

What a joke of a franchise that ##### around with a top 10 QB.

Look it up. It's right here. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2016/seasontype/3

You can dispute nothing in the numbers. Sort it anyway you want. If you think you can get someone better than Cousins, you are so wrong it's comical.

Completion % - top 8
QB rating - top 7
Yards - top 3
YPA - top 3

This is the "Griffin sucked so Cousins has to be great" mistake.
:lmao:  what a joke of a post. Exactly what do you guys think you are going to get by letting Cousins walk? I'll tell you, a bottom of the division finish for the foreseeable future. 

6th in passing attempts, 13th in TD's, 8 wins, 2 game-killing INT's. He's an average-good QB, he's already peaked, on a team that loaded up with "weapons" to help him out. If they can get the #2 pick in the draft and another high pick (2nd this year, or 1st next year) for him they'd be wise to do so. McCoy can lead that team to 8 wins.

You sound like my grandson. Great kid, 14, plays football. He thinks passing yardage is the ultimate measure of a QB.

6th in passing attempts, 13th in TD's, 8 wins, 2 game-killing INT's. He's an average-good QB, he's already peaked, on a team that loaded up with "weapons" to help him out. If they can get the #2 pick in the draft and another high pick (2nd this year, or 1st next year) for him they'd be wise to do so. McCoy can lead that team to 8 wins.
:lmao:  Matt Ryan was 10x worse last year than Cousins was this year. Killed the team with redzone INT's. If you were a GM of a team they would be like the Browns.

You would countinue to search for a QB, probably never get one and waste those picks on losing teams because you had no QB. - Browns - left tackle for instance.

:lmao:  Matt Ryan was 10x worse last year than Cousins was this year. Killed the team with redzone INT's. If you were a GM of a team they would be like the Browns.

You would countinue to search for a QB, probably never get one and waste those picks on losing teams because you had no QB. - Browns - left tackle for instance.
The Browns have done a fine job of drafting busts at QB as well as other positions. Not sure how your comparison makes sense?. The Browns would need to have a good QB first before you could compare that to the idea of letting Cousins go to another team (for good compensation it sounds like) as managing the team like the Browns.

Froma 49erd message board

Cousins is a guy imo who’s game is elevated by the talent and coaching around him. He hit his ceiling and is 28 going on 29. Guy is not a franchise QB and one who cant carry a team with deficiencies. He would flop in SF. I do like him much better than Jimmy G, but he is still not the answer. If SF had a stacked team and some weapons on offense i.e. 2011-13 49ers, then Cousins would be ideal but he is not worth it.

He's an average-good QB, he's already peaked, on a team that loaded up with "weapons" to help him out. If they can get the #2 pick in the draft and another high pick (2nd this year, or 1st next year) for him they'd be wise to do so. McCoy can lead that team to 8 wins.
Drew Brees didn't peak until after he left San Diego. Matthew Stafford has been a starter for several years, and he improved this past year on his mechanics. Cousins has only had two full seasons as the starter. Why do you think he can't progress more? 

Drew Brees didn't peak until after he left San Diego. Matthew Stafford has been a starter for several years, and he improved this past year on his mechanics. Cousins has only had two full seasons as the starter. Why do you think he can't progress more? 
Because he didn't progress this season, playing under the best conditions he'll ever play under -- a pass-happy coach who likes him, a pass-happy OC who likes him, a large number of good or very good receivers (or "weapons for Cousins").

What makes you or anyone think he's Stafford or Brees? He's 29. The team was 6-3-1 and ended up 8-7-1.

He lost his OC, his HC is going back to calling plays (like he did in his lousy first season), he's probably losing Jackson and/or Garcon, and those things set him up for at least a slight regression next year.

Hard to imagine the 49ers vaulting to the top of their division also. You have to remember, lod001 is a guy who thinks Winston is a waste of space for Tampa Bay.
Ok buddy who would you rather have, the turnover machine or Cousins?  Winston is a bum. Always will be. He will always hand the ball over to the other team. There were at least another dozen horrible passes that should have been intercepted by that clown last year. I see every game of every team. He needs way more talent surrounding him that Cousins needs for TB to move forward.

Cousins is outperforming Winston in every major passing category other than TDs. You are a joke. You have no plan post Cousins other than being a bottom feeding loser. Your plan is about the worst I've ever seen. Trading a top 10 QB for picks.

Froma 49erd message board
That's really not helping your case. You aren't going to find an elite franchise QB out there. You should be listening to what simey said about Drew Brees.  His #s are comparable at the same age as Brees.

From a 49ers message board:

Agreed 2 for cousins is worth it , he outplayed Carr this year

Cousins is no Carr?
2015-2016:
Carr - 62.4 comp.%, 7,924 yds, 60 TD's, 19 INT, 93.9 QB rating
Cousins - 68.3 comp.%, 9,083 yds, 54 TD's, 23 INT, 99.3 QB rating

Cousins is hitting the prime of his NFL career. His 6th year next year. The last two years, he has been lighting it up.
No way we give only a 2nd rounder for him. WA will want a 1st and next years 2nd or 3rd possibly.

See, I can do the same thing.

You are just not getting it. Probably the hardest thing to do in major sports is secure a franchise QB. Not every team can have one. If you can't have one what is your plan? Throw #### against the all year after year and be a loser or compete with a QB that can play at a high level. Then you build around him. Your plan is build everything else and throw #### on the wall and hope it sticks. That equals failure. You don't see lesser QB's being offered for trade with no plan. Is #2 overall too much for SF to do? Maybe but it would make WASH irrelevant for a long time barring a lucky QB pick (throwing #### against the wall). A Dak Prescott type gem, if he is one and he may be, comes around less often than a franchise QB out of college. Tom Brady being one. Is that what you are hoping for?

Lesser QBs have made it to the SB by surrounding them with talent but they don't stay at the top unless the QB is above average. Cousins is way above average. 

And back to Winston. That guy throws some of the dumbest INTs in the game. That's a fact so your mention of Winston holds zero credibility.

:lmao:  You are making my case for me. If that is your determining factor ( a difference of 3 passing TDs), :lmao: You are even more clueless than I thought. You are right at the top of the board. I set you up with that one by the way.

You are a homer. That much is obvious. You can't see whole picture. You really have no idea what you are talking about. You are simply focused on wanting a Tom Brady or Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers. It ain't going to happen unless lightning strikes. If that's your plan, once again, it's a horrible plan.

Because he didn't progress this season, playing under the best conditions he'll ever play under -- a pass-happy coach who likes him, a pass-happy OC who likes him, a large number of good or very good receivers (or "weapons for Cousins").

What makes you or anyone think he's Stafford or Brees? He's 29. The team was 6-3-1 and ended up 8-7-1.

He lost his OC, his HC is going back to calling plays (like he did in his lousy first season), he's probably losing Jackson and/or Garcon, and those things set him up for at least a slight regression next year.
Did I say he was Stafford or Brees? Was it not obvious to you that those were just examples of two quarterbacks that improved through their careers?  Some could say Stafford was under the best conditions playing with Calvin Johnson and having a pass happy coordinator, but his best season for how he played as a QB was this past season without Calvin, and with a coordinator that worked with him on his mechanics. I think it is ridiculous to say Cousins can't progress more, but that is my opinion and yours is different. I'm moving on...

Users who are viewing this thread