What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (13 Viewers)

I think they make an effort to upgrade QB no matter what happens. 
I don't understand why everyone is so down on Smith.   He was a solid QB before the calf strain.  I fully agree that he looked very immobile yesterday.

The key question:  is the calf  strain related to his leg injury?  If he is prone to injuries like this due leg injury, he needs to seriously consider retirement.  If he and the medical staff views it as a one off injury, then there is no reason he can't heal from it.

Chris Collingsworth did say that Smith wears the brace due to "dead foot" he his muscles can't bring the foot to a normal position.  That sounds scary on the football field.

We don't need no stinking team name to win the division!! Come on guys yes this was ugly, but worst to first is something to be proud of. Ron has turned the culture around, and when this team gets its franchise QB and a #2 WR, watch out!!! When is the last time, no matter what happens next weekend, Redskins fans have had this much hope going into the next year? I'll tell you when, Gibbs return. That was a LONG time ago! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I get that it sucks to win ugly, but we actually won a meaningful play in game the last game of the season, in prime time no less!  Even with Eagles resting starters, I can't tell you how many of my fellow WFT fans were expecting us to choke on a bone.  I don't care if the Eagles were playing Howdy Doodie at QB (he was playing for Dallas this week), it is still not in our DNA over much of the past 20 years to finish that game!  Last year under Gruden, Sudfield probably comes in and has a "career game" and wins, while Gruden stares blankly from the sidelines.  Yes, I'm serious.  That is not irony.  Particularly the part about Gruden staring blankly.

Anyways, yes we have real problems on offense.  But, maybe you have to scap and win ugly before you win good?  Between having the guys achieve this goal vs. picking 9-10 picks higher -- NO CONTEST, winning is much, much better for the long term development of this football team.  We've had high picks and easy loser schedules most of the years since Snyder has owned the team and it hasn't turned us around.  Good teams win, then draft well when they can, and continue to win. 

No, we're not good yet, but our defense is good.  We have a few pieces on offense but obviously need more.  But you need only to look at Chicago as an example for this.  Their defense is great.  QB play mid season was spotty as hell and they went into a nose dive.  All of a sudden they get Tribuski right, Montgomery goes off, and they are one of the hottest teams in the league.  The point being, like them, we have a good defense -- one capable of keeping us in many games.  If we can somehow through hook or crook work the QB position out, we may actually be decent next year.  

Based on draft position, I'm warming up to the idea of drafting OL and WR prominently and adding a vet QB like Stafford for 2-3 years.  Maybe draft a QB late and groom him.  I love Alex...great swan song, but he's done.  Offer him a coaching spot next year and pay him handsomely.  But he can't be on the field.

All in all, I agree with Pinky -- we're a serious work in progress but overall the year has been a success:

1. Learned whether we had franchise QB on roster (answer isn't always good but we did learn it)

2.  Started to change culture

3. Developed young talent 

4.  Solidified defense.

NExt year focus has to be bostering OL, WR, QB.  Won't be easy but at least something to shoot for.

Don't have high hopes for playing TB but you got to play the game.  If Smith can't move I'd seriously consider playing beer man and would even purchase a case of Heinekin to support how I can...

Marvelous said:
I don't understand why everyone is so down on Smith.   He was a solid QB before the calf strain.  I fully agree that he looked very immobile yesterday.

The key question:  is the calf  strain related to his leg injury?  If he is prone to injuries like this due leg injury, he needs to seriously consider retirement.  If he and the medical staff views it as a one off injury, then there is no reason he can't heal from it.

Chris Collingsworth did say that Smith wears the brace due to "dead foot" he his muscles can't bring the foot to a normal position.  That sounds scary on the football field.
Solid before the calf injury is being a bit generous. Look, we are winning games with him, but let’s not pretend the offense was ever humming this year (outside of the turkey day massacre in Dallas). This team needs better QB play going forward if we want to contend.

And of course he is going to be prone to leg injuries going forward. His “calf strain” was in his leg where he is missing a significant part of his calf. It’s a marvel of modern medicine that he was able to even suit up after what he went through, but to think he’s going to hold up over the course of another season is unrealistic. For the sake of his family he should retire this offseason. He has nothing left to prove.

Solid before the calf injury is being a bit generous. Look, we are winning games with him, but let’s not pretend the offense was ever humming this year (outside of the turkey day massacre in Dallas). This team needs better QB play going forward if we want to contend.

And of course he is going to be prone to leg injuries going forward. His “calf strain” was in his leg where he is missing a significant part of his calf. It’s a marvel of modern medicine that he was able to even suit up after what he went through, but to think he’s going to hold up over the course of another season is unrealistic. For the sake of his family he should retire this offseason. He has nothing left to prove.
The dilemna is what to do Saturday.  Smith is smart and efficient and he actually played ok in the first half yesterday, but he is struggling physically and could be a sitting duck vs. a good TB pass rush. I have a feeling that Arians is gonna send the dogs in to pressure him early and offer ... go for blood.  Heinicke is not proven but just based on his physical skill set alone...in other words he can move and avoid pressure...do you think about starting him?  Is anyone seriously considering it?  I'm sure Rivera will go with smith if he can even walk but is it the best decision?

MikeApf said:
No, we're not good yet, but our defense is good.  We have a few pieces on offense but obviously need more.  But you need only to look at Chicago as an example for this.  Their defense is great.  QB play mid season was spotty as hell and they went into a nose dive.  All of a sudden they get Tribuski right, Montgomery goes off, and they are one of the hottest teams in the league.  The point being, like them, we have a good defense -- one capable of keeping us in many games.  If we can somehow through hook or crook work the QB position out, we may actually be decent next year.  

Based on draft position, I'm warming up to the idea of drafting OL and WR prominently and adding a vet QB like Stafford for 2-3 years.  Maybe draft a QB late and groom him.  I love Alex...great swan song, but he's done.  Offer him a coaching spot next year and pay him handsomely.  But he can't be on the field.

All in all, I agree with Pinky -- we're a serious work in progress but overall the year has been a success:

1. Learned whether we had franchise QB on roster (answer isn't always good but we did learn it)

2.  Started to change culture

3. Developed young talent 

4.  Solidified defense.

NExt year focus has to be bostering OL, WR, QB.  Won't be easy but at least something to shoot for.

Don't have high hopes for playing TB but you got to play the game.  If Smith can't move I'd seriously consider playing beer man and would even purchase a case of Heinekin to support how I can...
Good post all around and I agree with the sentiment. Only thing I would take issue with is the Chicago comparison. We need to aim higher as the Bears are a good example of what not to do going forward. They squandered a great defense and have been held back for years due to terrible QB play. That’s why it is crucial to bring in someone (preferably Stafford) this offseason. The Bears move would be stick with the same QB room (with Allen as the starter) and hope for the best. This team has to aim higher than that. We have a 3-5 year window to win with this defense and we need to take advantage. 

Good post all around and I agree with the sentiment. Only thing I would take issue with is the Chicago comparison. We need to aim higher as the Bears are a good example of what not to do going forward. They squandered a great defense and have been held back for years due to terrible QB play. That’s why it is crucial to bring in someone (preferably Stafford) this offseason. The Bears move would be stick with the same QB room (with Allen as the starter) and hope for the best. This team has to aim higher than that. We have a 3-5 year window to win with this defense and we need to take advantage. 
Yeah, I agree.  I'm all for grooming a young guy but as you suggest in a few years we won't be able to afford all our top defenders. Maybe the move is to sign Stafford for 2-3 years and draft a guy to groom in the third round or later...

The dilemna is what to do Saturday.  Smith is smart and efficient and he actually played ok in the first half yesterday, but he is struggling physically and could be a sitting duck vs. a good TB pass rush. I have a feeling that Arians is gonna send the dogs in to pressure him early and offer ... go for blood.  Heinicke is not proven but just based on his physical skill set alone...in other words he can move and avoid pressure...do you think about starting him?  Is anyone seriously considering it?  I'm sure Rivera will go with smith if he can even walk but is it the best decision?
If Smith is in the state of health he was last night, the beer man probably gives us a better shot to win for the reasons you stated above. Even Philly’s JV defense showed that if you can just flush Smith anywhere near being out of the pocket, he will struggle immensely. He is just too banged up in his current form. I also agree that this is a moot point since Ron will start Smith as long as he can walk. 
The compromise position that I would hope happens is Ron starts Alex but will have the quick hook if Smith just doesn’t have it and is in trouble. We can’t afford to wait until the 3rd or 4th quarter vs Brady. This team makes amazing halftime adjustments but Brady can bury you in a hole that you can’t get out of.

By the way is it just me or does Gibson just not look the same? I think his toe is bothering him as he doesn't seem to have that burst right now. Still had some nice runs, but didn't look like the "could take it to the house on any given play" RB that I saw in him earlier in the year. 

By the way is it just me or does Gibson just not look the same? I think his toe is bothering him as he doesn't seem to have that burst right now. Still had some nice runs, but didn't look like the "could take it to the house on any given play" RB that I saw in him earlier in the year. 
Agree. He looked a tad slower and more tentative. Still the best RB on the roster, though, despite his turf toe. Looking forward to seeing him for several more seasons.

Agree. He looked a tad slower and more tentative. Still the best RB on the roster, though, despite his turf toe. Looking forward to seeing him for several more seasons.
At this point, I don't think Smith, McLaurin or Gibson will be 100% healthy til next season.  From what I know of turf toe and high ankle sprains, it's amazing those dude are out there at all and -- along with Smith -- speaks to the toughness of the guys on the squad. They are just gonna shoot up pain killers and go out there til they are eliminated.  Just hope no one gets seriously injured and can return to full steam next year...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/04/ron-rivera-refuses-apologize-winning/

Love Ron Rivera:

“Apparently, that's what everybody wants me to do, is apologize for winning,” Rivera said Monday morning after Washington defeated Philadelphia, 20-14, to clinch the NFC East. “I'm not going to, because you play the game as it's set up. Nobody complained when Pittsburgh did what they did last night against Cleveland. I mean, come on, this is just the way it is. We got in the playoffs. We're 7-9. I’ve been 7-8-1 in the playoffs. I was on an 8-8 team that was in the playoffs. And you don't apologize for getting into the playoffs."

“I mean, we played two games without our starting quarterback [Alex Smith], without our best wide receiver [Terry McLaurin], without our best running back [Antonio Gibson] healthy, and honestly nobody cared,” Rivera said. “That’s the truth. Nobody cared two weeks ago, and nobody cared a week ago. And so the concern was there. Alex came in and did what we hoped Alex would do, and lo and behold, we got into the playoffs. But yeah, I was concerned, to be honest with you.”

It's no wonder players follow him...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/04/ron-rivera-refuses-apologize-winning/

Love Ron Rivera:

“Apparently, that's what everybody wants me to do, is apologize for winning,” Rivera said Monday morning after Washington defeated Philadelphia, 20-14, to clinch the NFC East. “I'm not going to, because you play the game as it's set up. Nobody complained when Pittsburgh did what they did last night against Cleveland. I mean, come on, this is just the way it is. We got in the playoffs. We're 7-9. I’ve been 7-8-1 in the playoffs. I was on an 8-8 team that was in the playoffs. And you don't apologize for getting into the playoffs."

“I mean, we played two games without our starting quarterback [Alex Smith], without our best wide receiver [Terry McLaurin], without our best running back [Antonio Gibson] healthy, and honestly nobody cared,” Rivera said. “That’s the truth. Nobody cared two weeks ago, and nobody cared a week ago. And so the concern was there. Alex came in and did what we hoped Alex would do, and lo and behold, we got into the playoffs. But yeah, I was concerned, to be honest with you.”

It's no wonder players follow him...
Probably 3-13, at best, with Gruden. 

As a lifelong Skins fan, I want to point out something I haven't seen posted, maybe I missed it? There were no less than 3 egregious bad calls by the zebras on the Skins def in the 1st half last night. They were on their way to a resounding win but for some home cooking calls! 

I too worried about the Skins laying an egg like we've seen them do so many times in the past. But they came through and won the game. I'm hopeful and think they are finally on the right track if Danny will let those who know what they are doing run the team!

Not a WFT fan, but they can absolutely beat the Buccaneers. The Buccaneers have exactly one win against teams with a winning record. I know WFT is 7-9, but Tampa's 11-5 is mostly beating teams they were supposed to beat. 

Among NFC playoff teams, the Bucs

* lost to the Saints twice
* lost to the Bears
* lost to the Rams
* beat (the hell out of) the Packers

A good defense, a solid running game and no turnovers can win that game. Not saying they will, but I expect an entertaining game that will be won by a TD or less. 

Not a WFT fan, but they can absolutely beat the Buccaneers. The Buccaneers have exactly one win against teams with a winning record. I know WFT is 7-9, but Tampa's 11-5 is mostly beating teams they were supposed to beat. 

* lost to the Bears
* lost to the Rams

A good defense, a solid running game and no turnovers can win that game. Not saying they will, but I expect an entertaining game that will be won by a TD or less. 
I hope you are right, but my biggest concern is the Bucs are playing better now than they have all year. They are 4-0 since their bye week. Offense has averaged 37 points per game over the last month. Granted none of those teams have a defense as good as Washington but still I'm nervous about our ability to score 3-4 TDs and I think that is what will be needed to win. Maybe Chase can score 1 or 2 for us on defense :)  

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_keim/status/1346479957170479105
Keim reporting Ron will consider rotating QBs this game.

This is a very promising development and I’m glad the sensible approach is in play here. Bowles blitzes all game and even that JV Eagles  D basically shut Alex down when the did last game. I still think Ron will need to see Alex is in trouble to pull the trigger on this, but that is very likely to happen vs Tampa. But this is great news. Keep Tampa on their toes.

I hope you are right, but my biggest concern is the Bucs are playing better now than they have all year. They are 4-0 since their bye week. Offense has averaged 37 points per game over the last month. Granted none of those teams have a defense as good as Washington but still I'm nervous about our ability to score 3-4 TDs and I think that is what will be needed to win. Maybe Chase can score 1 or 2 for us on defense :)  
I agree it’s a concern but I wouldn’t read too much into it considering who the Bucs have played since their bye: ATL twice, DET, MIN. Those are all horrible defenses that they were expected to shred. It was my reasoning for loading up on Bucs players for the fantasy playoffs (not that it helped me 😡).

What it did accomplish for them is to get their offense back on track, as it was in a bit of a tailspin going into the bye, but our D will present the first true test that they’ve had in over a month. They will find much tougher sledding Saturday night.

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_keim/status/1346479957170479105
Keim reporting Ron will consider rotating QBs this game.

This is a very promising development and I’m glad the sensible approach is in play here. Bowles blitzes all game and even that JV Eagles  D basically shut Alex down when the did last game. I still think Ron will need to see Alex is in trouble to pull the trigger on this, but that is very likely to happen vs Tampa. But this is great news. Keep Tampa on their toes.
It’s smart for Ron to at least float this so the media doesn’t freak out if Taylor comes in.  Otherwise the media will accuse the WFT of “tanking” and propose that they fine them 2 m and all their draft picks...🙄

* lost to the Bears
* lost to the Rams

And the one thing all those teams have in common is a solid defensive line.  I think they'll slow Brady down.  They'll need a turnover/short field easy TD or two to win the game though.

Random thought:

Tampa:  has blitzed second most in NFL.  5th in sacks.  So Smiths quick throws will be important.  

But also Tampa has also surrendered league high 14 TDs vs blitz.  Thus This game will hold big dangers for WFT QBs but also opportunities.  Smith doesn’t like to go deep and I know that’s not their game, but they need to package in some sort of deep strike to McLaurin somewhere in the game...

just a random thiughtt

Random thought:

Tampa:  has blitzed second most in NFL.  5th in sacks.  So Smiths quick throws will be important.  

But also Tampa has also surrendered league high 14 TDs vs blitz.  Thus This game will hold big dangers for WFT QBs but also opportunities.  Smith doesn’t like to go deep and I know that’s not their game, but they need to package in some sort of deep strike to McLaurin somewhere in the game...

just a random thiughtt
Good call here. It’s unlikely Terry will be 100% health wise until next year, but let’s hope he’s a bit healthier this week and Alex can take a few shots downfield to take advantage. Only concern there of course is will Alex be able buy some time for Terry to get deep. For this reason, this role might be better for Heineke to take the shots.

Good call here. It’s unlikely Terry will be 100% health wise until next year, but let’s hope he’s a bit healthier this week and Alex can take a few shots downfield to take advantage. Only concern there of course is will Alex be able buy some time for Terry to get deep. For this reason, this role might be better for Heineke to take the shots.
Right. And sometimes those long passes are available if you can roll to avoid blitz, giving your WR time to get separation.

Mind you, I’m not suggesting that this be our main game plan.  Just have it there for 2-3 plays as TB will be trying to bring people up to counter the run and short passes.  TB likes to have an aggressive defense so you have to have something to counter them...

Right. And sometimes those long passes are available if you can roll to avoid blitz, giving your WR time to get separation.

Mind you, I’m not suggesting that this be our main game plan.  Just have it there for 2-3 plays as TB will be trying to bring people up to counter the run and short passes.  TB likes to have an aggressive defense so you have to have something to counter them...
I agree with the idea, but I see deep shots with Alex to be unlikely unless his calf is a lot better.

If that's true, then I'd like to see more screens. And more of those misdirection runs like they did with Steven Sims last week.

I hope they would throw to Gibson more in the screen game IF he is healthier this week. I watched lots of his highlights in college where he'd take a screen 50-80 yards to the house. Would be fun to see that Saturday night! 

I hope they would throw to Gibson more in the screen game IF he is healthier this week. I watched lots of his highlights in college where he'd take a screen 50-80 yards to the house. Would be fun to see that Saturday night! 
Yeah, I've been disappointed in their lack of finding creative ways to get the ball in his hands. They did a couple things (like a jet sweep type of run in the first Dallas game), but for the most part it's been pretty basic and not nearly as many screens as I'd like to see. But, like you say, that probably works best if he's healthy.

This doesn't so much bode well for this weekend, but Tampa Bay's running defense has basically shut down EVERYONE this season.  I am looking for them to destroy the WAFT running game and slightly depress Gibson's dynasty value heading into the offseason.  If I can find an owner with a bad taste in his mouth who is willing to let Gibson go for anything approaching a reasonable offer, I'm jumping all over that opportunity.

Love they made the playoffs.  But I fully expect Brady and Evans to run a train on the WFT.   I see this one being ugly.  41-7.  WFT needs a lot more talent in certain positions to worry the other NFC playoff teams.  Still think it's good for these guys to be amped and experience a playoff game.  Success breeds success.  Sitting at home next week would accomplish nothing.

Love they made the playoffs.  But I fully expect Brady and Evans to run a train on the WFT.   I see this one being ugly.  41-7.  WFT needs a lot more talent in certain positions to worry the other NFC playoff teams.  Still think it's good for these guys to be amped and experience a playoff game.  Success breeds success.  Sitting at home next week would accomplish nothing.
Yep. Still very proud of the job Ron did. I think its fair to say he got the very most out of what little talent he had (on of the offensive side of the ball at least) and definitely made our defense play to its potential. Future looks very good, but we HAVE to get the franchise QB soon. 

ffmail4me said:
Yeah, getting Gibson going in creative ways is going to be crucial this week. I haven't been impressed with Turner's (aka Norv Jr.) play calling in general and think he's a bit out of this depth as a play caller. Granted, he's been hindered by the QB play, but he's going to have to really step up his game and get creative on Saturday night if we want to have a chance. Between Gibson's versatility as a RB/WR and McKissic's pass catching prowess, I'd like to see some different looks this week. 

tangfoot said:
This doesn't so much bode well for this weekend, but Tampa Bay's running defense has basically shut down EVERYONE this season.  I am looking for them to destroy the WAFT running game and slightly depress Gibson's dynasty value heading into the offseason.  If I can find an owner with a bad taste in his mouth who is willing to let Gibson go for anything approaching a reasonable offer, I'm jumping all over that opportunity.
While you're right that Tampa's D just crushes running games, they are still somewhat vulnerable to RBs in the passing game. This is where Gibson's past as RB/WR should be utilized. There is no chance we will be able to run up the gut on this defense, so Turner is going to have to get creative with his play calling. 

Yep. Still very proud of the job Ron did. I think its fair to say he got the very most out of what little talent he had (on of the offensive side of the ball at least) and definitely made our defense play to its potential. Future looks very good, but we HAVE to get the franchise QB soon. 
Youre getting Cam

Youre getting Cam
All jokes aside, I can’t see this happening. Ron had a shot to bring him in last season and passed. Another season of poor play isn’t going to change his mind. He traded for his backup Allen, and seemed to prefer Allen to Cam down the stretch his last season in Carolina anyway. I think even he realizes Cam is done, of course he’ll have all the right things to say if asked I’m sure.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Could some of you die-hard Skins' fans comment on PFF ranking Washington's OL at number 6 in its final rankings? Does this jive with what you saw this year? If so, that would be one more item in the plus column for any prospective vet QBs looking to move, no?
While the D line rightfully gets all the press, the success of the O line is definitely an underreported story. Ron brought over long time O line coach Matsko from Carolina and he’s done an amazing job. Even more impressive is the fact that a few of these guys were basically pulled off the scrap heap. Full disclosure, I think some of their grades are boosted a bit by the nature of the Skins offense (Captain Checkdown passes to McKissic) but this is probably counterbalanced by Smith’s lack of mobility and the garbage play of Haskins that could collectively bring their grades down. The line is still a work in progress and definitely needs to be addressed in the draft (hopefully Saahdiq Charles is ready to contribute next year as well). But overall the line has played much better this season than anyone was expecting. And it is something that shouldn’t give any free agent QBs pause when considering to sign here.

Did you guys see where Watson isn't talking to his team after they hired a new GM without talking to him at all? I think we should offer major draft capitol and Kerrigan in hopes of getting our franchise QB. Call me crazy but I'd give up an RG3 ransom to get him, as he's actually worth it! (I realize the Texans might not let him go but they are pretty stupid and traded away Nuk so who knows?) 

Did you guys see where Watson isn't talking to his team after they hired a new GM without talking to him at all? I think we should offer major draft capitol and Kerrigan in hopes of getting our franchise QB. Call me crazy but I'd give up an RG3 ransom to get him, as he's actually worth it! (I realize the Texans might not let him go but they are pretty stupid and traded away Nuk so who knows?) 
BOB's gone in Houston. I'd forget any colossally dumb trades on their end for a little while. Especially of the Deshaun Watson variety. He had a season for the ages given what that team surrounded him with, and I don't think that at age 27, Houston can get a better franchise starter. Perhaps, but more than highly unlikely. I mean, he's a guy you keep even in total rebuild mode. 

Users who are viewing this thread