What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (4 Viewers)

Any idea on if/when a name change will occur?

It feels like they’re sorta slow rolling things until the big rebrand.
I may be in the minority as a Washington fan, but I do not care about a name change at all. As in: I don't care whether they change it or not. It's a name. Bottom line, if the team were to go 14-2 and win a Super Bowl as the Commanders, eventually all fans would grow to love the name and just roll with it.

Figure out how to win. Then the rest will follow. I think the ownership group is playing it correctly not leading with Marketing Fluff over Building a Good Organization. That's Snyder stuff...

I may be in the minority as a Washington fan, but I do not care about a name change at all. As in: I don't care whether they change it or not. It's a name. Bottom line, if the team were to go 14-2 and win a Super Bowl as the Commanders, eventually all fans would grow to love the name and just roll with it.

Figure out how to win. Then the rest will follow. I think the ownership group is playing it correctly not leading with Marketing Fluff over Building a Good Organization. That's Snyder stuff...

The problem for me is Snyder chose the name Commanders. I don’t want a single connection to that *******. So for me, the name is a huge priority, along with a uniform redesign. This offseason was far too critical to worry much about such things, but now that the train is on the tracks in ownership, front office, coaching, and QB, they can turn their attention to fumigating the final remnants of the Snyder ****-stain. The stadium is more important, but it appears to be on track with heading back to the RFK site. The name is a close 2nd for me.

Fix the name, fix the awful uniforms, and send us back to DC.

The problem for me is Snyder chose the name Commanders. I don’t want a single connection to that *******. So for me, the name is a huge priority, along with a uniform redesign. This offseason was far too critical to worry much about such things, but now that the train is on the tracks in ownership, front office, coaching, and QB, they can turn their attention to fumigating the final remnants of the Snyder ****-stain. The stadium is more important, but it appears to be on track with heading back to the RFK site. The name is a close 2nd for me.

Fix the name, fix the awful uniforms, and send us back to DC.
Sure, I should clarify that I am not AGAINST a name change. I get what you are saying about the stench of Snyder. I suppose it's just not a very high priority for me. But I totally get where you all are coming from for sure...

Anyone get the sense that Maye is the pick here. MIN is meeting with Daniels in Baton Rouge today. There's no reason for that unless they know a) WAS would trade with them or b) NE would trade with them (more likely B IMO)
I think they're taking Daniels. I've thought that all along

After they get their QB at 1.02 is when things get interesting, with 5 picks in rounds 2 and 3. They need as many starters as they can get out of those picks.

What do you all think about this big kerfluffle over Jayden Daniels' agent, Ron Butler, appearing to publicly criticize the Washington Commanders for hosting all four QBs at the same time.

I have heard everything from: "it doesn't matter; it's a nothing burger" to "it shows that Daniels is trying to force Washington to pass on him."

I'm not sure either extreme is fair. First, to the "it's a nothing burger" crowd...it's not nothing. Ron Butler did in fact pretty publicly question the process. It would have been very easy to just say nothing. Even if you didn't like the process, you have to go on social media and make a comment about it? I don't buy that. It's something.

On the other hand, there are multiple ways to spin it. Sure, one way to spin it is to suggest that Daniels wants Washington to pass. Maybe NE is ready to trade with Minn and Daniels wants to go to a ready made team in Minn? But another way to spin it is maybe at the meeting, it started to become clear that Daniels wasn't in fact a shoe in for the # 2 pick so now his agent is starting to spin it so it looks like they -- and not Washington -- are calling the shots.

Either way, I just don't think this is a good look for Daniels or his camp. I've seen a lot of excuses, like: "it was his agent not him" or "people are reading too much into the agent's social media posts." These feel like inadequate excuses to me. Even if the reaction is overblown, you are Daniels and you are Butler and you see this S Storm in the media now. You could EASILY make this go away with a follow up tweet or X or whatever walking back the first comment or just clarifying it that you had a great visit and would be happy to play for Washington...just some standard nicety nice generic safe statement. But that hasn't happened.

I'm not sure what to make of all this but I do think it's another flag on Daniels in my mind. I know he's a good player but seems a bit presumptuous that unless you get a one on one butt kissing session you are going to criticize the process. You haven't taken a snap yet dude. And again, even if you don't like the process, you don't have to comment publicly on social media about it. It's just a bad look.

Just curious as to how you all reacted to this latest news.

I was going to post the same on the subject. It goes back I guess, accordingly Daniels interview(s) weren't exactly deal-sealing. Then, a report he didn't want to play there. Now this. Likely just a baseless scenario but a popular one has the Raiders moving up. I think that happens & Pierce loves Daniels.

I think Daniels and agent expected to be the clear choice at 2, has been given no such assurances, was surprised by the Top Golf curveball, further surprised to not be given any assurances after the meetings, and met with the Vikings because he doesn’t think he’s going at 2.

I’m pretty confident we hear Maye’s name called on Thursday.

I think Daniels and agent expected to be the clear choice at 2, has been given no such assurances, was surprised by the Top Golf curveball, further surprised to not be given any assurances after the meetings, and met with the Vikings because he doesn’t think he’s going at 2. I’m pretty confident we hear Maye’s name called on Thursday.
I think there's evidence worth considering that, at no point was Daniels interested in being selected by Adam Peters & Washington. I agree with Mike's point, the way they went public with this, what's the reason for it? They're a couple of shmucks? Well, that's always a possibility. On the NFLN it was reported that the meetings were staggered, they met with each player individually. They also reported that this goes on, this wasn't anything unusual. Which makes the reaction strange. Perhaps it was just another opportunity for Daniels to make clear he doesn't want to play there? I've read that back in '22 Peters told Daniels or someone close to him or somewhere & Daniels found out about it that if he came out he'd be like a 5th RD pick. He also said Daniels game didn't translate.

I do agree that if they stay put Maye is the choice.

Last edited:
I think Daniels and agent expected to be the clear choice at 2, has been given no such assurances, was surprised by the Top Golf curveball, further surprised to not be given any assurances after the meetings, and met with the Vikings because he doesn’t think he’s going at 2. I’m pretty confident we hear Maye’s name called on Thursday.
I think there's evidence worth considering that, at no point was Daniels interested in being selected by Adam Peters & Washington. I agree with Mike's point, the way they went public with this, what's the reason for it? They're a couple of shmucks? Well, that's always a possibility. On the NFLN it was reported that the meetings were staggered, they met with each player individually. They also reported that this goes on, this wasn't anything unusual. Which makes the reaction strange. Perhaps it was just another opportunity for Daniels to make clear he doesn't want to play there? I've read that back in '22 Peters told Daniels or someone close to him or somewhere & Daniels found out about it that if he came out he'd be like a 5th RD pick. He also said Daniels game didn't translate.

Peters today practically flat out said they’re staying put. I’m also not buying the idea Jayden doesn’t want to go #2. Why wouldn’t he? This is an expansion franchise. It’s all brand new. I mean maybe he’s a moron but I don’t get that vibe.

What do you all think about this big kerfluffle over Jayden Daniels' agent, Ron Butler, appearing to publicly criticize the Washington Commanders for hosting all four QBs at the same time.

I have heard everything from: "it doesn't matter; it's a nothing burger" to "it shows that Daniels is trying to force Washington to pass on him."

I'm not sure either extreme is fair. First, to the "it's a nothing burger" crowd...it's not nothing. Ron Butler did in fact pretty publicly question the process. It would have been very easy to just say nothing. Even if you didn't like the process, you have to go on social media and make a comment about it? I don't buy that. It's something.

On the other hand, there are multiple ways to spin it. Sure, one way to spin it is to suggest that Daniels wants Washington to pass. Maybe NE is ready to trade with Minn and Daniels wants to go to a ready made team in Minn? But another way to spin it is maybe at the meeting, it started to become clear that Daniels wasn't in fact a shoe in for the # 2 pick so now his agent is starting to spin it so it looks like they -- and not Washington -- are calling the shots.

Either way, I just don't think this is a good look for Daniels or his camp. I've seen a lot of excuses, like: "it was his agent not him" or "people are reading too much into the agent's social media posts." These feel like inadequate excuses to me. Even if the reaction is overblown, you are Daniels and you are Butler and you see this S Storm in the media now. You could EASILY make this go away with a follow up tweet or X or whatever walking back the first comment or just clarifying it that you had a great visit and would be happy to play for Washington...just some standard nicety nice generic safe statement. But that hasn't happened.

I'm not sure what to make of all this but I do think it's another flag on Daniels in my mind. I know he's a good player but seems a bit presumptuous that unless you get a one on one butt kissing session you are going to criticize the process. You haven't taken a snap yet dude. And again, even if you don't like the process, you don't have to comment publicly on social media about it. It's just a bad look.

I think it's a bunch of over-analysis and guesswork, which we see EVERY YEAR in the week before the draft, and means nothing. Teams are going to draft who they believe will help them the most. Guessing at what players think or agents think or front offices think is just that -- guesswork. I've gotten to the point where I pay little to no attention to it, because each year as soon as the draft is concluded, all the pre-draft worried speculation about hundreds of players goes right out the window, is forgotten, and then is repeated next year.

Peters today practically flat out said they’re staying put. I’m also not buying the idea Jayden doesn’t want to go #2. Why wouldn’t he? This is an expansion franchise. It’s all brand new. I mean maybe he’s a moron but I don’t get that vibe.
I get a jilted lover vibe from Daniels camp.

The Commanders probably flirted with him and told him some sweet nothings, and Daniels incorrectly interpreted that as a marriage proposal. His agent is out there telling people it's a lock at #2. Then they get called into this, realize that no, no one is engaged, they were never proposed to, and they're still just a top 5 finalist on this season of The Bachelor. Again, the agent is running his mouth, and I really think that will be a factor in the decision to not give a rose to Jayden.

I've preferred Maye here since we solidified pick #2, and I'm thrilled to see this play out because I really don't think Jayden is NFL ready. He'll be a good fantasy QB due to the rushing, but I really think the on the field decision making is not where I want it to be for my teams franchise QB. He needs to evolve to get through his 3rd and 4th reads instead of running automatically. And for his sake, he needs to learn to slide and reduce contact when rushing.

I think it's a bunch of over-analysis and guesswork, which we see EVERY YEAR in the week before the draft, and means nothing. Teams are going to draft who they believe will help them the most. Guessing at what players think or agents think or front offices think is just that -- guesswork. I've gotten to the point where I pay little to no attention to it, because each year as soon as the draft is concluded, all the pre-draft worried speculation about hundreds of players goes right out the window, is forgotten, and then is repeated next year.
While I agree that this is overreaction season, several things still give me pause.

1. Of all the camps, only Daniels camp gave fans and media something to react to with a critical reaction on social media.

2. Even if it IS a media and fan overreaction, all Daniels camp needs to do is say, "Let us clarify we'd be thrilled to play for Washington.". Even if this is not true. Just to stop the s storm making both them and Washington look bad. However, they won't do it. I think Shefter might have forwarded some thought that Daniels would go anywhere he was drafted but it was pretty Luke warm.

Overreaction maybe...but it's not in a vacuum, and the main parties (other than irresponsible media like Mike Florio) fueling it are Daniels camp.

In the end I hope you are right and it's all nothing. Thursday can't come fast enough!

Stuff I'm happy about.

Washington signed 22 free agents in addition to re-signing four of its own. The Commanders added at least eight new starters via free agency, including linebackers Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu and tight end Zach Ertz. They also added third-down back Austin Ekeler.

For the record, I don't think Ertz will do much. And I think Ekeler and Wagner will exceed expectations. I don't think either of them is anywhere near being shot.

"Peters today practically flat out said they’re staying put. I’m also not buying the idea Jayden doesn’t want to go #2. ..."
I agree that Daniels wants to be drafted early, every player does. But players also know how important the right fit can be. To me, what we're seeing is an attempt by him & his agent to determine where he lands. If we didn't know before we know now that he wants to play for Antonio Pierce & Vegas. Oh, what a coincidence, they want him & are going to make a play to move up. With respect to Peters, he did say the other day that they were great staying where they are. But something less assuring he also volunteers up:

"Now, I will say this also, we don't really need to make a decision until you need to make a decision. So there's no rush with that..."

That part doesn't contradict his point about being good staying where they are, but it does erase any notion that they've closed the door on trading down.

"I don't see a whole lot of scenarios where we trade down, to be honest with you."

So there's another thing he says that, if you choose to, you can read into not a whole lot means zero. I interpret that to mean not many, not any at all. That could be GM to GM speak, oh, yeah we've got one serious offer but the others, mm, they're junk.

"... so we have the debrief on our 30 (prospect) visits with the whole staff, talking about everybody there."

I'm including this quote because like Mike, I'd like my question answered this time. Twice now, I think, Mike has said what we should see, if Daniels does want to play there he needs to come and say as much. My question is this; if Peters has Minnesota's best offer & that of the Raiders & neither are good enough, why did they bring Michael Penix Jr in?

"... rumors still point to him preferring another team. ... During an interview with ESPN colleague Pat McAfee, Adam Schefter noted Daniels has had interest in playing elsewhere from the outset of the pre-draft process. Considering his past with Raiders HC Antonio Pierce and the AFC West team not doing a good job of making it a secret it would want to reunite the two... The Raiders are believed to have asked OC candidates about working with Daniels ... New Washington OC Kliff Kingsbury is believed to favor Daniels, La Canfora adds..." https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...manders-kingsbury-harris-raiders-visit-weight

Question #3, what about the bolded part citing Adam Shefter? Perhaps you interpret it differently & that's okay, but to me it suggests that he's known all along that at no point did Daniels want to play for Washington. Yes, no, you don't know? Fair to say any number of comments have leaned on him contending that Daniels to Washington is a done deal? Them trading back is a real possibility, IMO.

Daniels PR Rep (not agent) trying to do damage control: "Jayden Daniels is excited to be a part of the @nfl and wherever he is drafted he will be happy to be a part of that organization ."

Pros-this at least an attempt to stamp out any notion that he would just straight up refuse to play for Washington and that in theory he would be happy to be here along with any other team.

Con-doesnt address Washington by name...which is significant because we were the only place that was being questioned. Lukewarm embrace

I do kind of wonder if the team was giving vibes at that meeting that Maye was the dude and JDs agent was butt hurt. It's an odd situation.

I am happy that the PR Rep put this out though...it's something and at least indicates we won't have an Eli Manning situation. Most pundits say JD is better. My growing hunch is we may see Maye though.

You know what, lll be happy either way...

Daniels PR Rep (not agent) trying to do damage control: "Jayden Daniels is excited to be a part of the @nfl and wherever he is drafted he will be happy to be a part of that organization ."

Pros-this at least an attempt to stamp out any notion that he would just straight up refuse to play for Washington and that in theory he would be happy to be here along with any other team.

Con-doesnt address Washington by name...which is significant because we were the only place that was being questioned. Lukewarm embrace

I do kind of wonder if the team was giving vibes at that meeting that Maye was the dude and JDs agent was butt hurt. It's an odd situation.

I am happy that the PR Rep put this out though...it's something and at least indicates we won't have an Eli Manning situation. Most pundits say JD is better. My growing hunch is we may see Maye though.

You know what, lll be happy either way...

This is more “you can’t fire me because I quit” type stuff from the Daniels camp IMO. I’ll elaborate quoting the previous post.

"Peters today practically flat out said they’re staying put. I’m also not buying the idea Jayden doesn’t want to go #2. ..."
I agree that Daniels wants to be drafted early, every player does. But players also know how important the right fit can be. To me, what we're seeing is an attempt by him & his agent to determine where he lands. If we didn't know before we know now that he wants to play for Antonio Pierce & Vegas. Oh, what a coincidence, they want him & are going to make a play to move up. With respect to Peters, he did say the other day that they were great staying where they are. But something less assuring he also volunteers up:

"Now, I will say this also, we don't really need to make a decision until you need to make a decision. So there's no rush with that..."

That part doesn't contradict his point about being good staying where they are, but it does erase any notion that they've closed the door on trading down.

"I don't see a whole lot of scenarios where we trade down, to be honest with you."

So there's another thing he says that, if you choose to, you can read into not a whole lot means zero. I interpret that to mean not many, not any at all. That could be GM to GM speak, oh, yeah we've got one serious offer but the others, mm, they're junk.

"... so we have the debrief on our 30 (prospect) visits with the whole staff, talking about everybody there."

I'm including this quote because like Mike, I'd like my question answered this time. Twice now, I think, Mike has said what we should see, if Daniels does want to play there he needs to come and say as much. My question is this; if Peters has Minnesota's best offer & that of the Raiders & neither are good enough, why did they bring Michael Penix Jr in?

"... rumors still point to him preferring another team. ... During an interview with ESPN colleague Pat McAfee, Adam Schefter noted Daniels has had interest in playing elsewhere from the outset of the pre-draft process. Considering his past with Raiders HC Antonio Pierce and the AFC West team not doing a good job of making it a secret it would want to reunite the two... The Raiders are believed to have asked OC candidates about working with Daniels ... New Washington OC Kliff Kingsbury is believed to favor Daniels, La Canfora adds..." https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...manders-kingsbury-harris-raiders-visit-weight

Question #3, what about the bolded part citing Adam Shefter? Perhaps you interpret it differently & that's okay, but to me it suggests that he's known all along that at no point did Daniels want to play for Washington. Yes, no, you don't know? Fair to say any number of comments have leaned on him contending that Daniels to Washington is a done deal? Them trading back is a real possibility, IMO.
First of all, here’s the full Peters quote about trading back:

"We feel great about staying at No. 2," Peters said Thursday. "I don't see a whole lot of scenarios where we trade down, to be honest with you. We feel great about staying there."

I consider this case closed as to trading back for anything close to normal compensation. If Minnesota wants to throw out Jefferson, 11, 2025 1st, ok sure. Insane offers only. And they brought in Penix to account for any insane offers that come their way. Highly, highly unlikely to happen but rather burn a 30 visit than be unprepared on a QB decision.

Regarding decision until you have to make a decision, here’s the full quote:

"We're real close," Peters said. "There's still a few more things in the process we have to do. As you guys are maybe getting, I'm pretty process-driven, process-oriented, so we have the debrief on our 30 (prospect) visits with the whole staff, talking about everybody there. We haven't done that yet. Then later tonight we have a medical meeting, as well, to go over all the medicals in the combine and get that information as well and just ask pointed questions, if there are any, on certain players if we have some questions on that.
"So, we have a few more things and DQ (head coach Dan Quinn) and I will huddle up and probably have an answer really sometime next week. Now, I will say this also, we don't really need to make a decision until you need to make a decision. So there's no rush with that, but I think we'll have a pretty good idea what we're doing early next week."

He’s pretty clearly talking here about whether they’ve decided on a QB, not whether they will trade back. He’s talking about picking at 2.

Regarding Daniels expressing interest in Las Vegas and Minnesota:

There was a report previously that he was interested in Washington, Minnesota, and Vegas. After the visit, that report became the one you are referencing that doesn’t include Washington. Antonio Peirce has been connected to him from the jump and if there’s any way for Vegas to trade up, think they pull the trigger. It’s going to cost a ton though and I don’t think there’s a world where Washington deals 2 to them. Rather, they trad with NE possibly if Daniels is on the board still at 3.

To me, this all adds up to Daniels thinking he’s going 2, then being surprised that he’s gotten no assurances from Washington, then scrambling to avoid New England. I think he’d be happy pretty much anywhere other than NE. Would prefer to go 2 for status and $$ reasons, but really just does not want to go to NE where they are devoid of offensive talent. Who would blame him? The Pats currently have the worst collection of skill players probably of any team in the last 5 seasons. So, now that he doesn’t think he’s going 2, he takes a visit with Minnesota and puts out the Minnesota’s and Vegas preferences by name, but also weakly covers his bases by saying he’s happy to play anywhere.

Bottom line: I got odds of a trade down being practically zero unless Minnesota loses their minds. I got odds of the pick being Daniels almost zero. And really not sure what to make of Maye and McCarthy. Would think Maye is the solid favorite between the two but have always felt McCarthy was more in the mix than anyone really expected. IF it’s McCarthy we probably start hearing a little more buzz from Keim the next couple days because it’s a surprise pick and they’d probably want to not totally catch the fanbase by surprise.

Right or wrong, that’s my read on it.

Peters quote about trading back: "We feel great about staying at No. 2,"

I consider this case closed as to trading back for anything close to normal compensation. If Minnesota wants to throw out Jefferson, 11, 2025 1st, ok sure. Insane offers only. And they brought in Penix to account for any insane offers that come their way. Highly, highly unlikely to happen but rather burn a 30 visit than be unprepared on a QB decision.
Peters comment did place a trade back as the less-likely scenario. That the offers to this point haven't been enough. But to conclude that they haven't even been remotely close, I don't know about that part. Enter Michael Penix Jr & if they were impressed by him & offered more, then I think there's a good chance they trade back.

Regarding decision until you have to make a decision, here’s the full quote:

"We're real close," Peters said. ... Now, I will say this also, we don't really need to make a decision until you need to make a decision. So there's no rush with that, but I think we'll have a pretty good idea what we're doing early next week."

He’s pretty clearly talking here about whether they’ve decided on a QB, not whether they will trade back. He’s talking about picking at 2.
You're right, what he's asked about & what he says. But when he then says: "Now, I will also say" that's a break from what he was just going on about. What does he say after that? He's not talking about a player, he's talking about being on the clock in real time. A decision? Not about a player because he already told us, they're going to know whether it's Maye or Daniels on Monday or Tuesday.

Now, as everybody knows Eliot Wolf has told the world that New England is open for business. But reported as recently as yesterday he hasn't received a make-me-show-you-my-shocked-look type offer either. So, two totally different fronts, yet yielding the identical result. Yeah, because these deals, those are happening in real time.

@fatness

Keim's always a great source to check. But I don't know about this. Here's what Daniels' agent initially posted:

“Why would you dilute your ability to get maximum time, and just the opportunity to evaluate, you're trying to evaluate four guys at once?"

So, "upset" isn't the right word? He's clearly questioning the process & to the extent where he's going public about it. Then, accordingly, he likes or thumbs up a comment from somebody else:

"How many companies do this?" DG_28 wrote on X. "Puts them around their peers? Bring players from the team along and see how they interact. Who the f*** cares how they interact with players they will never play with? This doesn’t make sense to me."

We also know that they had said that they thought Daniels was the only QB the team was meeting with. The opinion of Daniel's agent with respect to the process isn't positive in any way! Keim would likely know what Daniel's camp knew & when they knew it. There's also what they could &/or shouldn't known on their own. Now, I have read that the two sides did get together and it's all water under the bridge at this point. But...

There are negatives popping up with Jayden IMO. Whether it's his mother paying for recruit flights at Arizona State. Peters reportedly having a poor grade on him last year. His inability to slide. His teammates raided his locker when he left Arizona St and some clearly didn't think much of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A04oTNa8GU He can clearly throw the rock. But there easily could be a Bo Callahan situation here. Plus his agent wouldn't put this stuff out unless he was trying to protect his players ... ie when he doesn't go 2nd he can act like it was WAS fault. What WAS did bringing them all in at same time was pretty standard fare.

I think and have always thought this pick is Drake Maye. And I am totally good with that. He can sling it. Love his over the middle throws. He runs better than people think. He has size. He has tremendous upside.

So Maye. Then they trade rounds 2 & 3 picks to move up late into round 1 to get a LT like Fuaga or Mimms.

The other 2nd rounder can be used on Edge, WR, or CB.

Then TE, Edge, WR, or CB in round 3.

Here's Standig's full mock for Washington, assuming no trades.

No trade (semi-best player available) version
No. 2 — Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
No. 36 — Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
No. 40 — Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington
No. 67 — Chris Braswell, Edge, Alabama
No. 78 — Jared Wiley, TE, TCU
No. 100 — Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame
No. 139 — Brandon Coleman, G/T, TCU
No. 152 — Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice
No. 222 — Beanie Bishop, CB, West Virginia

Good article about rookie QB evaluations: https://theathletic.com/5375788/2024/04/11/nfl-draft-2024-top-quarterbacks/

Who was doing the evaluations:

Two active general managers
Three personnel executives
Three scouts
One assistant/QBs coach
Three former general managers
One ex-head coach
Four former players-turned-analysts, including two ex-quarterbacks

Scores:
Caleb Williams: 78
Jayden Daniels: 50
Drake Maye: 24
J.J.McCarthy: 23
Michael Penix: 8
Bo Nix: 3

Good article about rookie QB evaluations: https://theathletic.com/5375788/2024/04/11/nfl-draft-2024-top-quarterbacks/

Who was doing the evaluations:

Two active general managers
Three personnel executives
Three scouts
One assistant/QBs coach
Three former general managers
One ex-head coach
Four former players-turned-analysts, including two ex-quarterbacks

Scores:
Caleb Williams: 78
Jayden Daniels: 50
Drake Maye: 24
J.J.McCarthy: 23
Michael Penix: 8
Bo Nix: 3

The Maye stuff had me laughing. There's no more difficult player in this draft to grade. When he's good, he's holy cow good. When he's bad, he's holy cow bad. He's easily the candidate most likely to bust. But he's also the candidate most likely to be great. One thing I agree with strongly, that someone in this thread disagreed with

Personnel executive 1: He scares the hell out of me. Longer thrower with a big arm but not quick release. Nothing feels like it happens in rhythm, and accuracy is average. Needs a year on the bench.

He really needs the Jordan Love treatment. At least for a year. He's young. He struggled terribly against better competition. He needs time to develop.

FWIW, I placed 3 bets with us taking Maye:
+140 Maye at pick 2
+160 First 3: Caleb, Maye, Daniels
+1100 First 5: Caleb, Maye, Daniels, MHJ, McCarthy

I feel pretty good about at least Maye at 2.

I am pretty sure they are taking Maye. I'm equally sure they are drafting Daniels. I hope they trade down. That just about covers what I know. ;)

There are negatives popping up with Jayden IMO. Whether it's his mother paying for recruit flights at Arizona State. Peters reportedly having a poor grade on him last year. His inability to slide. His teammates raided his locker when he left Arizona St and some clearly didn't think much of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A04oTNa8GU He can clearly throw the rock. But there easily could be a Bo Callahan situation here. Plus his agent wouldn't put this stuff out unless he was trying to protect his players ... ie when he doesn't go 2nd he can act like it was WAS fault. What WAS did bringing them all in at same time was pretty standard fare.

I think and have always thought this pick is Drake Maye. And I am totally good with that. He can sling it. Love his over the middle throws. He runs better than people think. He has size. He has tremendous upside.

So Maye. Then they trade rounds 2 & 3 picks to move up late into round 1 to get a LT like Fuaga or Mimms.

The other 2nd rounder can be used on Edge, WR, or CB.

Then TE, Edge, WR, or CB in round 3.

I don’t bother scouting tackles so I really got no dog in the fight but Standig is hypothesizing they move back from 36 rather than up, mainly because they tackles he expects to be available in the early 20s or what have you are inexperienced or could be moved to guard. Again, I got no idea if that’s accurate but if it is, I’d prefer that route.

Agree with your Daniels/Maye take though. I just don’t get all this media push for JD. We are not leaking anything. It’s all a guess and Maye/McCarthy have always made way more sense to me than JD.

You can't blame this organization for being nervous about Daniels having an RG3 like injury/short career based on the hits he has taken in college and slight frame. If he had the body of Maye I'd want Daniels all day long without question. But Maye looks like he would hold up far better than Daniels would. That's why I want Maye now. But I'll be happy with whoever Peters decides on.

I don't think this 2024 WFT'skins Team is anywhere near ready to compete for a post-season berth/run, no matter who is under center.

I do think every single year of a Rookie QB contract is quite possibly the most valuable Roster commodity that exists.

It does this 2024 Team no good to draft a QB who is the most ready to play in 2024, IMHO. I think it might even harm the development of said QB, taking the field with this Team, this year.

I'm ecstatic that it looks like the Bears are locked into Caleb Williams, and we have no shot at landing him. I believe the Red Flags.

I want nothing to do with Jayden Daniels, either. Worried about him holding up, and I believe the Red Flags, too, including about his Mom.

GIve me the guy with the highest potential ceiling, and the least amount of off-field headaches and circus. Let that potential ceiling hold a clipboard for a year, and build the infrastructure he needs to succeed in 2025 and beyond.

IMHO, that's the path to a competitive 2025, and double-digit wins/playoff runs in the years that follow.

If Peters takes JD, I'll buy in, but I'll be nervous.

I don't think this 2024 WFT'skins Team is anywhere near ready to compete for a post-season berth/run, no matter who is under center.

I do think every single year of a Rookie QB contract is quite possibly the most valuable Roster commodity that exists.

It does this 2024 Team no good to draft a QB who is the most ready to play in 2024, IMHO. I think it might even harm the development of said QB, taking the field with this Team, this year.

I'm ecstatic that it looks like the Bears are locked into Caleb Williams, and we have no shot at landing him. I believe the Red Flags.

I want nothing to do with Jayden Daniels, either. Worried about him holding up, and I believe the Red Flags, too, including about his Mom.

GIve me the guy with the highest potential ceiling, and the least amount of off-field headaches and circus. Let that potential ceiling hold a clipboard for a year, and build the infrastructure he needs to succeed in 2025 and beyond.

IMHO, that's the path to a competitive 2025, and double-digit wins/playoff runs in the years that follow.

Good post. I would just push back a little and say they could totally be a playoff team next year if the QB hits right away. And they should 100% take whomever they think is the best long term option, nothing short sided, but with good QB play and actual coaching competence this team could easily be in the mix for the 6 or 7 seed in a weak NFC.

Stuff I'm happy about.

Washington signed 22 free agents in addition to re-signing four of its own. The Commanders added at least eight new starters via free agency, including linebackers Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu and tight end Zach Ertz. They also added third-down back Austin Ekeler.

For the record, I don't think Ertz will do much. And I think Ekeler and Wagner will exceed expectations. I don't think either of them is anywhere near being shot.
Ertz is a 1 year rental so WAS isn't forced to pick a TE when the crop is pretty slim this year. Met him some recently. Super nice but quiet guy. I agree Wagner and Ekeler probably have 2-4 more good seasons in them.

I guess I'll be the odd guy out by saying I think this team can win this year. At least get to .500 or better. Everything about this org was a disaster the past 20 years. But sticking to the on the field ... as Dan ran out of money and hired Ron to be a jack of all trades and skimped on position coaches the players were not coached well. And the people that knew this most were the players themselves. These guys played at SEC, BIG10, etc where coaches, stadiums, fan, and weight rooms are great. I think coaching alone will make a 4-6 game improvement in wins. At least the players don't think the guys running the sidelines are complete morons.

Also, while I certainly expect them to go w Maye or Daniels ... the results of taking MHJr at #2 in a draft simulator come out pretty interesting IMO. Versus a QB that doesn't see the field until 2025. I have no problem if they did this. They need to get a QB ... but if they aren't sold on Maye or Daniels this might be an even better team.

Last edited:
I'll have no opinion on how they'll do this year until the roster is finalized and training camp is over. So many new players and coaches, new offensive and defensive schemes --- it's a lot to put together and it'll take time to see who's doing well and who's not. But better coaching should be good for at least 3 more wins than last year.

Been listening to a bunch of media today and gotta say, it sure seems like it’s going to be Daniels. Kinda thought we would start getting more solid info today and it’s all pointing to JD.

I like how you are thinking. We should be looking long term, beyond this year. I keep hearing over and over again that we have to take Daniels over Maybe or McCarthy because Daniels can play this year and Maye or McCarthy will have to sit. Is that really a logical way to look at the selection of a QB who you want to have for 10-15 years? What is magical about this year? As you say, this is not the championship year.

That said, I'll honestly be happy with whoever they pick -- Daniels, Maye or McCarthy. Just take your shot and let's see where it goes.

The problem with this year's class is that it seems that while everyone talks about how many QBs there are, all of them have significant question marks.

Daniels pressure to sack ratio is not good at all (Howell-esque) and there are a great deal of worries about his slight build and the significant hits he takes in the open field (Griffin-esque).

Drake Maye may have the classic build and arm of a NFL QB, but has mechanics problems w footwork and is known for troubling inaccuracies on "gimme throws."

The knock on McCarthy seems to be that he just didn't have to throw lots of passes or carry his team; therefore, it's a lot of projection to imagine him being a franchise QB.

As I say, I'll be happy with any of these guys.

The only thing I don't like right now is that there seems to be this media-wide consensus that Daniels is far and away the no brainer #2 pick and if Washington doesn't do it, well then we're just incompetent. People talk like Daniels is Lamar Jackson and Maye is Ryan Leaf. Maybe that's how it'll work out but it's WAY too soon to be so locked in to those opinions. That's just the same pre-draft group think we see every year. How many times do we have to hear that Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen are can't miss studs before we just admit that this pre-draft group think has a ton of flaws embedded in it. The bottom line is all three of these guys have potential but all three of these guys have question marks. I truly wish we could trade back and take McCarthy as a sit one year project but I don't think the board lines up for that.

But yeah, just pick any one of these three and let's roll.

Last edited:
Other than Caleb, I'm fairly surprised these QBs are going to get picked top 5 to be honest. I've watched them all. Maye is pretty darn good. I think has a chance to be awesome but has not proven much. Daniels had so much talent around him it's hard to know if he's the real deal. His arm is meh. Penix throws the best ball but had a clean pocket a lot. Nix has potential to be an NFL starter for a long time. I'm less sold on McCarthy. I like the kid but he was underutilized by Harbaugh and the tape is boring.

Many years everyone but Caleb would drop to picks 8 - 40. Problem is 6 teams are QB desperate (CHI, WAS, NE, MIN, LV, and DEN). And there are 6 potential NFL starters at QB (Wiliams, Daniels, Maye, Penix, Nix, McCarthy). And there's no way every team is sold on these 6. So they are being forced to snag them too early IMO. And that goes for WAS. No way they project any of these QBs as better or less risky than Alt and MHJr. It's the unfortunate reality of having a team with a crap offense.

Peters says he's staying put. If I was there I'd be putting out that we are taking Harrison and make ARI trade up for him by getting 4 and 27. Then pick QB at 4 and get ARI's 27. Then with 27, 36, and 40 fill out the needs at WR, OT, and CB. Can't say the option was there. But the intense focus on QB kinda made it moot. I do think there are teams middle of the draft that would have been willing to trade up to get a stud WR or LT.

Last edited:
If I were a Washington fan, I wouldn't worry so much about what they do at #2. They are gonna take a QB - it's a given - and he may or may not work out. That's the way it goes.

What the Commanders need to do is hit on a bunch of the other picks they have. To me, filling that roster (which is paper thin) with good players is paramount.

I know the #2 pick doesn't come around often for most teams so it dominates the conversation, but it's not like any of these QBs are regarded in any kind of consensus as can't-miss. Peters can miss at #2 and still have a franchise-boosting draft.

If I were a Washington fan, I wouldn't worry so much about what they do at #2. They are gonna take a QB - it's a given - and he may or may not work out. That's the way it goes.

What the Commanders need to do is hit on a bunch of the other picks they have. To me, filling that roster (which is paper thin) with good players is paramount.

I know the #2 pick doesn't come around often for most teams so it dominates the conversation, but it's not like any of these QBs are regarded in any kind of consensus as can't-miss. Peters can miss at #2 and still have a franchise-boosting draft.

Sorry, you do you, but Ima worry about who the franchise QB is going to be first. The rest of the draft matters a ton also but nothing matters more than QB.

Final wish list:

1- McCarthy
2- Maye
3- RG4

I’ll rally if they pick Daniels and just surrender that Peters knows a million more than me. Just sayin. All three of them have questions, flaws, and flags. Give me the person I’m sold on the most because QB is about so much more than what can be measured.

I'm nervous about tonight.

I'm worried they go Daniels and I just don't trust him to be our long term answer. Maybe he's more ready today, but I'm thinking about the next decade. The late breakout, the amazing surrounding cast, he just feels counterfeit. Add in the injury risk because he's frail but acts like he's Tarzan taking hits and the tweeting agent and I just want no part of it. Meanwhile 9 of 10 mocks think he's our guy because of our backup veteran QB and\or our air raid offense. Honestly, Maye is an excellent air raid QB too. He's still developing and not as "ready" as Daniels but he's younger, broke out with a significantly worst cast, and has the physical and mental tools to put it all together for greatness. He also could bust, but it seems way less likely than Daniels busting. I see people saying Daniels can be the next Lamar, but I don't see it. He doesn't have the shiftiness, just speed. He doesn't protect his body. Arms are similar though. Meanwhile, I think Maye really could be somewhere in the Roethlisburger to Herbert range, and while maybe not, it just seems more possible.

After 25 years of consistent mistakes, I'm nervous about today.

Possible injury concerns for Daniels have me very worried as well. But none of these QBs are a sure thing. Just got to trust Peters but am managing my expectations with respect to the subsequent performance of the new QB...

Users who are viewing this thread