What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Landry probably would have been beat all the same on the Nicks pass. It doesn't excuse Reed, but I'm certainly not thinking about what could have been.

Landry and Orakpo were limited today (a step up from out). Everyone else had full participation (includes Cooley, Banks, Atogwe).
Of these two, I would say that Orakpo is pretty much a lock to start and play, based on what I heard about his ankle sprain. Landry I would be very cautious with. Those hamstring injuries linger, and I would rather do without Landry vs. Arizona and make sure he's healthy for the remaining 14 games, starting with Dallas. He's already complained once about being brought back to soon...I really think they should proceed with caution, and just pray to all that's holy that Doughty can play well enough in relief one more game.
He was actually pretty good, with the obvious exception of the Nicks TD, but I'd be willing to bet he doesn't let that happen again this week. That had to hurt and surely Shanny and Haslett lit him up for it. That was a rookie mistake.
And an ugly missed tackle on the Bradshaw TD.
I missed that play thanks to sat signal dropping. Okay, he was actually not pretty good. He was responsible for both of the Giants touchdowns. Sweet. Good talk.

Landry and Orakpo were limited today (a step up from out). Everyone else had full participation (includes Cooley, Banks, Atogwe).
Of these two, I would say that Orakpo is pretty much a lock to start and play, based on what I heard about his ankle sprain. Landry I would be very cautious with. Those hamstring injuries linger, and I would rather do without Landry vs. Arizona and make sure he's healthy for the remaining 14 games, starting with Dallas. He's already complained once about being brought back to soon...I really think they should proceed with caution, and just pray to all that's holy that Doughty can play well enough in relief one more game.
He was actually pretty good, with the obvious exception of the Nicks TD, but I'd be willing to bet he doesn't let that happen again this week. That had to hurt and surely Shanny and Haslett lit him up for it. That was a rookie mistake.
I missed that play thanks to sat signal dropping. Okay, he was actually not pretty good. He was responsible for both of the Giants touchdowns. Sweet. Good talk.
:lmao: I wouldn't go that far. Nobody else did anything to stop Bradshaw on that play either, including Rocky who apparently decided to wait inside the goalline to try to stand up Bradshaw.Oh, and Nicks didn't score.

So, I think we're back to Reed having an OK game.

Looks like Doughty was the only defensive Dud on John Keim's Studs and Duds list:

SS Reed Doughty. Had several tough plays. But before I go there, Doughty made two excellent plays that helped save the game and they merit mention. On the series following Rex Grossman’s fumble, Doughty made a good open field tackle on the fullback, keeping him shy of the first down by a yard on second down. Then, on third and 1, Doughty came up hard and tripped Bradshaw. He didn’t bring him down immediately, but he caused him to stumble and others pounced on him.

OK, onto the bad stuff. The 68-yard pass to Hakeem Nicks is easy to analyze. Doughty admitted he took his eyes off Nicks after he made his first move. When he turned back, Nicks was gone. On the Bradshaw touchdown, Doughty was fooled. On the snap, he started up. When Manning went to hand off, Doughty started out to his left, anticipating a play-action strike to the receiver. His head even quickly turns left. Then he realizes it’s a handoff and was not quick enough to pinch the hole. Later, he helped allow a long pass to Ballard by overcommitting to the outside receiver (Hakeem Nicks). Doughty said he and Fletcher anticipated Ballard running a different route. But as soon as he committed outside, Manning hit the seam route. Doughty also slipped on another route, biting on an outside fake that left the receiver open on the right seam.

Antrelle Rolle is talking junk after losing by 2 td's :lmao:

Rolle: If we played the Skins 100 times, wed beat them 95 times

You would figure that after the disappointing season opener Sunday, that the Giants would keep quiet, at least until they won a game.

You would especially think that Antrel Rolle would be quiet, considering he said Monday that the Giants did not play with urgency.

Well, then you would be wrong.

The safety said Tuesday on WFAN 660 radio that if the Giants and Redskins played 100 times, New York would win 95 times.

He gave the response when asked what coach Tom Coughlins message to the team was after the ugly 28-14 defeat in Washington.

His message was something that I think that we all understand. His message was definitely something that we all understand, something that we all can relate to, Rolle said on his weekly spot on the Joe and Evan Show. We as a team and as an organization, we know that the Washington Redskins is not a better than us. We know that hands down. If we played them 100 times, they might win five.

And they won that day. And it never leaves a good taste in your mouth when you lose to an opponent that you know youre better than. And we understood where things wentwrong. I dont think we played a good game at all as a team. I dont think that we played good on special teams, on defense or on offense.

But Rolle was not done, saying he was not impressed with quarterback Rex Grossman (21-of-34, 305 yards, two touchdowns) and did not think the Redskins were better than initially thought.

In fact, he said the Giants will prove that the next time they meet, which is Dec. 18 at MetLife Stadium.

No, not at all. And well definitely prove that the next time around, he said. We will prove that. And we will get after Rex. Hes going to feel the Giants coming next time around. But well take care of that when the time comes.

Rolle, 28, did admit Grossman looked good in picking apart the Giants secondary.

He moved around the pocket pretty well. Rex looked very comfortable in the offense that he was running, he said. Do I think thats going to be the case next time around? Absolutely not. But on that given day, they were the better team. Theres nothing else you can say about it.

Rolle was flagged for a costly 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty in the fourth quarter when it had appeared the Giants had stopped a Redskins drive on third down. He hit tight end Fred Davis helmet-to-helmet despite Davis already being down on the grass, two yards short of the first-down marker.

But the penalty kept the drive alive. It ended with the Redskins fourth touchdown.

Rolle, in his second season with the Giants, did admit the Giants have felt the effect of all the injuries they have suffered.

Id be lying if I said it wasnt, the safety said. We understand the caliber of guys that we lost. That goes first and foremost. But at the same time, the game still has to be played. Were still going out there to complete. Were still going out there to try to get a win.

I dont care if its the six-stringer in there or its the All-Pro in there, I expect the game to be played at the end of the day. … We dont hold pity on ourselves because no one else is going to.

And he knows that the Giants defense needs to improvequickly.

I definitely feel that theres a lot of work to be done, Rolle said. We have a lot of guys playing different positions. We have to fill in for some key areas. And we still havent found that chemistry yet. Its getting close. …

But we all knew that it was going to take a little bit of time.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/rolle_if_we_played_the_skins_100_times_wed_beat_them_95_times/

Last edited by a moderator:
...and just pray to all that's holy that Doughty can play well enough in relief one more game.
FWIW, both Keim and Campbell, while giving Doughty an overall negative review, said his game wasn't as bad as his glaring mistakes made it out to be. In fact both praised him for making key plays during the series following the Grossman fumble, essentially helping put the game away.
Had several tough plays. But before I go there, Doughty made two excellent plays that helped save the game and they merit mention. On the series following Rex Grossman’s fumble, Doughty made a good open field tackle on the fullback, keeping him shy of the first down by a yard on second down. Then, on third and 1, Doughty came up hard and tripped Bradshaw. He didn’t bring him down immediately, but he caused him to stumble and others pounced on him.
The blocked FG followed those plays which lead to a 70-yard 'Skins TD (Grossman to Gaffney) drive, putting them ahead by 14 with only 5:04 left in the game.

:lmao: I wouldn't go that far. Nobody else did anything to stop Bradshaw on that play either, including Rocky who apparently decided to wait inside the goalline to try to stand up Bradshaw.
Yea, that was easily the worst drive of the day for the Skins defense. They just let the Giants waltz down the field for an easy score. But it was refreshing to see the defense step up and play well the rest of the game, shutting out the Giants the final 2+ quarters.

'Sidewinder16 said:
'MikeApf said:
...and just pray to all that's holy that Doughty can play well enough in relief one more game.
FWIW, both Keim and Campbell, while giving Doughty an overall negative review, said his game wasn't as bad as his glaring mistakes made it out to be. In fact both praised him for making key plays during the series following the Grossman fumble, essentially helping put the game away.
Had several tough plays. But before I go there, Doughty made two excellent plays that helped save the game and they merit mention. On the series following Rex Grossman’s fumble, Doughty made a good open field tackle on the fullback, keeping him shy of the first down by a yard on second down. Then, on third and 1, Doughty came up hard and tripped Bradshaw. He didn’t bring him down immediately, but he caused him to stumble and others pounced on him.
The blocked FG followed those plays which lead to a 70-yard 'Skins TD (Grossman to Gaffney) drive, putting them ahead by 14 with only 5:04 left in the game.
Oh yeah, I was not trying to say that Reed sucks or anything. I don't think he does. But, I do think he is not the player that Landry is and that it is a clear step down. In general, I think he's been an adequate replacement. I just think, with a backup in there, I'm a bit more fearful of Arizona's passing attack than if LaRon was back there. That's all.In fact, if you look at my first post, I actually think Reed is solid enough that I would think about easing Landry back in.

Hi folks,

I am looking for a pair of tickets to the Skins-Eagles. Gonna take my boy to his first game. Anyone have tickets they want to sell? Please PM me.

thanks,

Skinsfan

oof. How old is your boy, and are you sure you want his first live NFL/Redskins experience to be an Eagles game?

On TV, there appeared to be quite a few Giants fans at the week 1 game. Based on that, the past, and the fact that tickets seem pretty readily available this season, even through the team, I'm guessing the Philly fans are going to make up a large percentage of the attendance that week.

I know different people don't mind/put up with different things, so if you're set on hitting that game, more power to you. I'm just saying I would probably pick a different game if I were in your shoes (again, depending on the kids age; if he's like 25, forget everything I've said :) )

Wasn't he late on a pass down the seam too?

'dehaven123 said:
Wasn't he late on a pass down the seam too?
That was a tough one. He had both Nicks and Ballard coming at him and he had to pick. He chose Nicks, which I can hardly blame him for. He probably didn't expect Ballard to beat Fletcher that easily.

'Sidewinder16 said:
oof. How old is your boy, and are you sure you want his first live NFL/Redskins experience to be an Eagles game?On TV, there appeared to be quite a few Giants fans at the week 1 game. Based on that, the past, and the fact that tickets seem pretty readily available this season, even through the team, I'm guessing the Philly fans are going to make up a large percentage of the attendance that week.I know different people don't mind/put up with different things, so if you're set on hitting that game, more power to you. I'm just saying I would probably pick a different game if I were in your shoes (again, depending on the kids age; if he's like 25, forget everything I've said :) )
He's 9, but a tough 9. :)This game works best for our schedule. Following week his football team starts playing.

'Sidewinder16 said:
oof. How old is your boy, and are you sure you want his first live NFL/Redskins experience to be an Eagles game?On TV, there appeared to be quite a few Giants fans at the week 1 game. Based on that, the past, and the fact that tickets seem pretty readily available this season, even through the team, I'm guessing the Philly fans are going to make up a large percentage of the attendance that week.I know different people don't mind/put up with different things, so if you're set on hitting that game, more power to you. I'm just saying I would probably pick a different game if I were in your shoes (again, depending on the kids age; if he's like 25, forget everything I've said :) )
He's 9, but a tough 9. :)This game works best for our schedule. Following week his football team starts playing.
I've already sold mine for that game.That's going to be one of the more expensive games. Extremeskins might be the best place to try right now. Board members are sometimes willing to sell to other board members for face value. If you're willing to wait, I'd guess tickets will be down to a decent price on both craigslist and at Extremeskins the last couple days before the game. The market for upper level tickets is usually pretty weak. You shouldn't have to pay above face for those. Do you get the emails from the Redskins about opposing team's player ticket returns? If so, that might be a good way to go too.

Washington Inactives

Summary: WR Leonard Hankerson, WR Terrence Austin, OL Willie Smith, DL Darrion Scott, LB Keyaron Fox, LB Markus White, S LaRon Landry

Disappointed they didn't take control in that first half, but I liked how they were able to pull out the win.

Heluuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Guy looks great. Only problem I can see is that when he's in, they're going to run it. D's will be wise to this soon enough. Hopefully he can improve on his pass pro to stay in on passing plays.

94 Character seems incapable of making a play. He looks timid. He should have had a pick on a tipped ball, but went into the fray soft using one arm whereas the Card O-lineman used both arms to smash 94's face. Seeing V Holliday on AZ made me wish we could've kept him and shipped 94 to AZ for THT.

And speaking of tipped balls...has there been a better QB effort to prevent an int since Joey T in XVII? Rex saved the day by playing some nice D (stark contrast to the effort of 94). of course, you could say that he shouldn't have been bouncing so many balls off the other team's arms...

2-0 going into MNF in big D!

Heluuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Guy looks great. Only problem I can see is that when he's in, they're going to run it. D's will be wise to this soon enough. Hopefully he can improve on his pass pro to stay in on passing plays.94 Character seems incapable of making a play. He looks timid. He should have had a pick on a tipped ball, but went into the fray soft using one arm whereas the Card O-lineman used both arms to smash 94's face. Seeing V Holliday on AZ made me wish we could've kept him and shipped 94 to AZ for THT.And speaking of tipped balls...has there been a better QB effort to prevent an int since Joey T in XVII? Rex saved the day by playing some nice D (stark contrast to the effort of 94). of course, you could say that he shouldn't have been bouncing so many balls off the other team's arms...2-0 going into MNF in big D!
meh. He doesn't make a ton of plays but he is certainly better than Holliday.

What alias is Redman rolling with these days?

You got the Cowboys coming on the right week.

Jones sep shoulder

Romo broken ribs

Austin hammy....will be out

What alias is Redman rolling with these days?You got the Cowboys coming on the right week. Jones sep shoulderRomo broken ribsAustin hammy....will be out
Couple notes from my perspective...Helu looked good in space, not sure if he can make his own holes though.THT continues to run hard, wish they'd have stayed with him a little more in the 2nd half.Rex was Rex.Gaffney shows up 2wks in a row and is making a play as capable #2.Fred seemed there every time they needed a play. When Cooley is 100%, cant wait to see a ton of 2TE sets.Pass rush disappeared in the 2nd half.Haslett took too much time to adjust to the 4WR sets.Good to see a win when things didn't always go their way.Team looks tough.

Back-to-back weeks with big 4th down conversions. Last week, they converted on a 4th and 5 and then finished the drive to score their first TD. This week, with plenty of time remaining, they opt to go on 4th down and get the potential tying TD (if they had made the 2 point conversion).

Skins opened as a 6-point dog next week, and it's already up to 6.5 in most places. Gotta admit that's a little surprising and very much sobering.

'TeddyKGB said:
Skins opened as a 6-point dog next week, and it's already up to 6.5 in most places. Gotta admit that's a little surprising and very much sobering.
It shouldn't be. Sitting at 2-0 is awesome, but The Giants were missing 3 of their best players and Arizona just sucks.

'TeddyKGB said:
It shouldn't be. Sitting at 2-0 is awesome, but The Giants were missing 3 of their best players and Arizona just sucks.
With Dallass' injuries that line feels off. Wonder what it would be like if Romo, Austin, Felix, and Dez were all healthy.

'TeddyKGB said:
With Dallass' injuries that line feels off. Wonder what it would be like if Romo, Austin, Felix, and Dez were all healthy.
All will play minus Austin imo. Agreed that 6 is high, a good value bet there.3 questions for you guys as I havent seen any of the Skins games this year.What happened to Fred Davis, he looks like a different player.Who blew the coverage on the Fitz TD?Are you guys getting consistent pressure up front or you blitzing more?

'TeddyKGB said:
All will play minus Austin imo. Agreed that 6 is high, a good value bet there.3 questions for you guys as I havent seen any of the Skins games this year.What happened to Fred Davis, he looks like a different player.Who blew the coverage on the Fitz TD?Are you guys getting consistent pressure up front or you blitzing more?
I think Davis is just getting more of an oppurtunity because Cooley has been slowed by his injury. Lots of blitzes but the front are getting some pressure.

3 questions for you guys as I havent seen any of the Skins games this year.

What happened to Fred Davis, he looks like a different player.
I agree w/ thayman, in that the Fred Davis explosion is mostly due to Cooley being limited. He's a gifted athlete that has shown flashes before (like when Cooley was out the last half of the '09 season). There's a decent article in the Post today, too, that suggests he's matured a lot over the past season or two.
Who blew the coverage on the Fitz TD?
Technically, I guess you could say it was Hall, but in reality is was probably the pass rush that was at fault. Here's what John Keim had to say about it:
The Redskins did a good job vs. Larry Fitzgerald until his big play in solo coverage against DeAngelo Hall , who bit on the slant knowing the blitz that was coming and figuring it would be a quick release. That’s a tough matchup.
...the 73-yard touchdown, in which Hall had no help. The Redskins were in a cover zero so the heavy blitz needed to get to quarterback Kevin Kolb. London Fletcher nearly sacked him, but Kolb did an excellent job of staying poised – and sliding a little to his right. That bought him an extra half-second, the difference between a touchdown or a sack. Kolb recognized the blitz and with an empty backfield he knew Fletcher was unaccounted for.
Are you guys getting consistent pressure up front or you blitzing more?
By my extremely untrained eye :) , most of the pressure has seemed to come from blitzes (rushing 5 or more). I haven't noted a lot of 4-man rushes that have generated significant pressure. ETA: But Haslett blitzes a lot so we've been putting a good amount of pressure on opposing QBs.

'TeddyKGB said:
The surprise for me was more because the Cowboys are banged up. The Skins aren't world beaters by any stretch. As a fan, I often take my cues from the Vegas line, and this one is not complimentary to my interests.

'TeddyKGB said:
The surprise for me was more because the Cowboys are banged up. The Skins aren't world beaters by any stretch. As a fan, I often take my cues from the Vegas line, and this one is not complimentary to my interests.
I'd say on a neutral field that The Cowboys should be favored by 3. The game is in Dallas so 6 is probably pretty close. However it is Dallas so who knows, these games are always pretty damn tight.

I think Davis posses problems for us along side Cowboy killer Santana Moss. Obviously we are struggling against the pass with Newman and Scandrick out. I have been impressed with the Dallas front 7 vs. the run. We have been surprisingly stout.

It will be interesting to see if you guys can run on us, or how you will attack. If I'm you guys:

Screens to THT/Moss.

Run the rock.

Short crossing patterns

Take 3 or 4 shots deep on play action.

On offense we have not found a consistent run game. Our O-line has been anywhere from servicable to very good in pass blocking. Doug Free had a rough outing vs. SF so I expect him to rebound. I can tell you guys that we wont have the swinging gate at RT like the opener last year. Smith is the real deal.

I see a typical Redskins/Cowboys games...hard hitting and tough sledding all around.

20-17 is what I see and it could go either way.

What alias is Redman rolling with these days?You got the Cowboys coming on the right week. Jones sep shoulderRomo broken ribsAustin hammy....will be out
Bah. It's Redskins / Cowboys, injuries are irrelevant. Just remember Clint Longley.
:goodposting:Having the Cowboys miss key players makes me more worried.
my favorite was when the scabskins marched into TX on MNF and led by felon-QB tony robinson soundly thrashed a cowgirl squad composed on many strike Busters

Just woke up. Cooked a private event for 48 people last night. Since I refuse to work on Sundays during football season (I couldn't get anything accomplished if I tried), I woke up early Monday, purchased and prepped, pulled an all nighter Monday into Tuesday, all the way through to the dinner's conclusion. Got home close to midnight last night, and between being all wound up because it went so well, and knowing I had to take my fiancees son to school early this AM, I didn't get more than a nap in. Had some things to do that prevented me from getting home until about noon today, and immediately passed out. Obviously that didn't work out so well, 'cause here we are 5 hour later, and I'm all jacked up because I've calmed down enough to let it sink in that...

:football: !IT'S DALLAS WEEK! :football:

Whoo HOO!!! Suck it, Cowboys!!!

Just woke up. Cooked a private event for 48 people last night. Since I refuse to work on Sundays during football season (I couldn't get anything accomplished if I tried), I woke up early Monday, purchased and prepped, pulled an all nighter Monday into Tuesday, all the way through to the dinner's conclusion. Got home close to midnight last night, and between being all wound up because it went so well, and knowing I had to take my fiancees son to school early this AM, I didn't get more than a nap in. Had some things to do that prevented me from getting home until about noon today, and immediately passed out. Obviously that didn't work out so well, 'cause here we are 5 hour later, and I'm all jacked up because I've calmed down enough to let it sink in that... :football: !IT'S DALLAS WEEK! :football:Whoo HOO!!! Suck it, Cowboys!!!
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread