What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Watchmen HBO Series** (2 Viewers)

Cookoo for cocopuffs.

Liking it. Also wouldn't mind a little more progress reveal relative to the weekly slate of new questions nuttiness.

Definitely loving the first four episodes but feel like I'm missing a lot of Easter eggs and back story.  If a non comic book/movie watcher wants more insight, where would you recommend me going first?  

But seriously, if you're not going to read the comic, the next best thing is to watch the Marvel Motion Comic.  It's prolly about 6 hours of content but it's free and *totally* worth it.  Movie is... fine, I guess, 2.5 hours there.  
I stumbled upon the motion comic and got through it.  Is it not the complete graphic novel?  Either way, it was pretty good.

But seriously, if you're not going to read the comic, the next best thing is to watch the Marvel Motion Comic.  It's prolly about 6 hours of content but it's free and *totally* worth it.  Movie is... fine, I guess, 2.5 hours there.  
Appreciate the link.  I thought the comic book was a lot more than 12 issues.  Makes reading it much more doable.   I'm going to assume the graphic novel is just the issues bundled up in one book?  I may just buy that for collection. 

Am I going to hate whatever Louis Gossett Jr., is?  I've been on board for almost everything (seriously Jeremy Irons is an acting legend) but his scene this week felt very..... prepare to roll your eyes, is the best way I can describe it.

So, how true does the series stay to the comic?

i loved the comic but was iffy on watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it shouldn’t surprise me, but it’s great how much this show has scratched my post-Leftovers itch far more than it has appealed to my memories of liking the graphic novel in my 20s. 

I bought the book the other day and am 90% through it in a few days. Snappy, really good read. Gets a little scattered at times (I don’t care for the kid reading his novel at the newspaper stands, it’s too convoluted) but I would recommend it to anybody watching this who wants to dive in. 

Definitely loving the first four episodes but feel like I'm missing a lot of Easter eggs and back story.  If a non comic book/movie watcher wants more insight, where would you recommend me going first?  
Probably an obscure graphic novel called "Watchmen" by Alan Moore.

Henry Ford said:
Probably an obscure graphic novel called "Watchmen" by Alan Moore.
Yep, we cleared this up earlier.  Not a big time suck at all.  Looking forward to it.  

pantherclub said:
This show is so freaking good
Yep.  Really enjoyed Looking Glass' story.  I was pulling for him at the carnival.  Damn shame but that wh*re got what she deserved ;)  

Haven’t / probably won’t read the graphical novel, but I did watch the Zach Snyder movie (ultimate cut), which I’ve never seen, over the weekend to get the Watchmen backstory.  Not a comics guy,  but did enjoy the movie and I’m enjoying the HBO series.  

I heard somewhere that it might be a few years before we get season 2?

Irons' story arc is insanely fantastic...had no idea what he was doing up there.

Also really enjoying the hero/villain ambiguity and fluidity. Mirror hat guys story and episode was my favorite so far...thought his acting was phenomenal- especially after starting out as more of a character actors sidekick.

It really is on every single reader’s top 5 list of graphic novels of all time. Probably top 3.  And really, if it isn’t #1 I’m suspect of that person. 
I re-read Miller's The Dark Knight Returns last year.  It didn't hold up well for me.

I finally caught up on episodes 4 and 5  last night.  It's similar to the comic in its one step forward, one step back pacing, except that the TV show throws in a couple of lateral ones to boot.

I'm a huge Watchmen fanboy. Favorite graphic novel of all time, favorite movie of 2009, now likely my favorite show.  The episodes have continually improved, to the point where I didn't want the most recent episode to end.  Will continue watching and posting in this thread.

Alan Sepinwall, whose reviews have helped me gain an even greater appreciation of already fantastic shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, is also posting reviews of Watchmen. He works for Rolling Stone now as their primary television critic and doesn't disappoint with his insight. He's also a massive fan of the comic, which he goes into some detail about. I'll continue posting his reviews here as the episodes continue, but in the meantime, here's what he's done so far:

A Couple  primers

Premiere review

Ep 2 review

Ep 3 review

Ep 4 review

Ep 5 review

Users who are viewing this thread