What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Watchmen HBO Series** (1 Viewer)

I’d never read the series so I bought a copy of the graphic novel and read it today.  Great story.    I could see watching the series without reading it, but based on the first episode I’m glad I read it, but I don’t think it’s completely necessary.

I enjoyed it and Regina King always does it for me.  Im guessing the cops are the actual bad guys and the Rorshack masks are not actually racists which is what was implied. 

Googly x-ray eyes or no, this episode didn't do much for me.

Jeremy irons sub plot becoming increasingly silly. 

The Watchmen nerd in me liked the Hooded Justice TV show and the Dr. Manhattan origin play as clever peeks into the back story. 

Back in Tulsa, the scenes with King and Gossett were great.

I'm hooked.

I like it but I am confused. The super heros have no powers and they are vigilantes but work with the police and nobody knows who is police or not for some reason?  And they are not allowed to access firearms. 

I like it but I am confused. The super heros have no powers and they are vigilantes but work with the police and nobody knows who is police or not for some reason?  And they are not allowed to access firearms. 
I have done nothing but watch the movie, so take this info for what it is worth... based on the first 2 episodes I think the police (both regular force and masked crusaders) hide their faces due to the massacre years back where all members of the police were targeted/killed in their homes. Masking the force while on duty seems to be a solution to having a police force that is not exposed to being attacked as civilians. They have not really dived deep into the heroes, but my take was some do have special capabilities (e.g. Looking Glass, the guy with the mirrored mask). 

Really impressive first 2 episodes IMHO

Is it explained why it appears there are very  few white people?

I'm just curious if I missed something

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it explained why it appears there are very  few white people?

I'm just curious if I missed something
It's starting to be.  First bit is the Tulsa Massacre and the fact that it was "covered up."  Second is the Nazi propaganda to black soldiers.  Not going to write down my guess as to where these lead.  

It's starting to be.  First bit is the Tulsa Massacre and the fact that it was "covered up."  Second is the Nazi propaganda to black soldiers.  Not going to write down my guess as to where these lead.  
Thanks.   I mean i saw the opening and "understand that" - I was just curious of I missed something the just explained it.

I didnt watch episode 2..... 

For the ubernerds:   HBO companion site that provides details to fill in the gaps from the end of the original to the beginning of the series, including how Laurie ends up in the FBI, why Nite Owl is in prison, how Rorschach became the hero of the Seventh Kalvarly and what happened to Veidt.

Loved the movie. One of my favorites of all time. So good. Was incredibly excited when the announcement came out about this series. As it got closer, heard the premise was going to focus on “alt-right” nazi type people. Was much less excited. Watched first episode and 10 minutes of the second. Deleted from DVR. I’m sure it’ll be a hit and people will rave about it. But I’m tired of watching Hollywood do stories about racial tensions. 

For the ubernerds:   HBO companion site that provides details to fill in the gaps from the end of the original to the beginning of the series, including how Laurie ends up in the FBI, why Nite Owl is in prison, how Rorschach became the hero of the Seventh Kalvarly and what happened to Veidt.
Something I didn't pick up originally but stumbled upon while reading that site is that I'm pretty sure the Comedian, Edward Blake, was named after Pink Panther director Blake Edwards.

Loved the movie. One of my favorites of all time. So good. Was incredibly excited when the announcement came out about this series. As it got closer, heard the premise was going to focus on “alt-right” nazi type people. Was much less excited. Watched first episode and 10 minutes of the second. Deleted from DVR. I’m sure it’ll be a hit and people will rave about it. But I’m tired of watching Hollywood do stories about racial tensions. 
You’re missing out.  

Pretty good so far. I've only ever watched the movie and have not read the comic so the squid thing definitely came out of left field. 

Did Manhattan kill Rohrschach at the end of the movie?

-fish- said:
Dang, someone put a ton of effort into that stuff. The FBI memo's in particular are filled with 1984-esque doublespeak type stuff that will make you :loco:

Also I totally missed on the viewing of the 1st episode

the parallel of young Louis Gossett Jr watching the Black Sheriff movie talking about hanging the corrupt white sheriff, and then old man Louis Gossett Jr hanging the white sheriff in present day.

Ok I need to check it out. I never saw the movies and don’t do comic books but reviews sound really good. Also odd that RT has the critics loving it and the audience hating it. Is it just all the nerds who are mad because it’s not exactly how it happened in their picture book?
Same boat here.  Loved the first episode.  Definitely a lot to take in for someone not knowing the story but enjoying the ride thus far. 

Caught up. Will keep watching.

Jeremy Irons is an acting treasure.
I can't figure out what the hell is going on with Jeremy Irons other than he likes to kill a bunch of people that appear to be clones. Only thing I can gather is he  is telling some of the backstory like the creation of Dr. Manhattan.  

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who never read the comic or watched the movie, I’m having a hard time keeping track of things.  I feel like there should have been some kind of primer from HBO. 
I watched the movie over this past weekend and it helped a lot. Just a suggestion if you have time and access to it

Redwes25 said:
Yankee23Fan said:
Caught up. Will keep watching.

Jeremy Irons is an acting treasure.
I can't figure out what the hell is going on with Jeremy Irons other than he likes to kill a bunch of people that appear to be clones. Only thing I can gather is he that he is telling some of the backstory like the creation of Dr. Manhattan.  
I think Jeremy Irons is from the movie...maybe the bad guy? And I think he's being held captive as one of the characters intimated this ep (FBI kid? Saying it was thought the guy had died, but no body and somebody else said he was being held captive in s America?). Not sure what's going on with the clones, unless that's something he has the ability to do while in captivity.

The car at the end...Lou gosset's car, or Dr Manhattan playing the "brick" joke?

When it starts raining squid and SUVs in this universe, I might reconsider the umbrella policy thread.

Really enjoying this.  The lady really nailed the part in episode 3, my favorite so far.  I saw the movie years ago, but now am putting the pieces together.  

:bluecock:

Users who are viewing this thread