What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL WIS XVII THREAD: Long Balls, Boy Bands, and Booming Economies (5 Viewers)

Since it looks on pace to pass anyway, I will go ahead and vote against the DH out of principle.

I don't really know anything about the rest of what you guys are talking about.

In principal I, too, am against the dh, but voted for it. I think I'll go into politics next.

yes to salary cap

yes to DH

yes to salary minimum (maybe with 1 exception or something)

no to salary maximum. If I want to blow all my money on 4 guys and then have 12 minimum guys (whatever that minimum is), that's my choice.

OK, so a quick poll of the league on these ideas:

A- Salary cap or not?

B- Designated hitter or not?

C- If we have a salary cap, for or against salary max? (salary min will be a given this time)
Here are the current vote tallies:

A- Yes 5, No 5

B- Yes 7, No 4

C- For 4, Against 6

A- Salary cap or not?

C- If we have a salary cap, for or against salary max? (salary min will be a given this time)

I would like to have the DH.

I would like to have EITHER a salary cap, OR a salary min/max. If you're trying to compete in the TOC, forcing people to spend $1mil on a bench guy doesn't help them. Then again, having a DH also hurts your chances in the TOC.

100mil would be a very tight salary cap. With a DH it might be too tight.

With a DH, 120 is probably reasonable but won't be super restrictive.

jfranco77 said:
A- Salary cap or not?

I would like to have EITHER a salary cap, OR a salary min/max. If you're trying to compete in the TOC, forcing people to spend $1mil on a bench guy doesn't help them. Then again, having a DH also hurts your chances in the TOC.

what are the TOC rules?

jfranco77 said:
A- Salary cap or not?

what are the TOC rules?
don't worry Larry

jfranco77 said:
A- Salary cap or not?

what are the TOC rules?
don't worry Larry
I'm asking for the sake of whoever wins, not just me.

Plus, its not like I'm the worst at this, I have a decent team most of the time and have made the playoffs a few times.

what is the value of a salary minimum and maximum outside of the salary cap?

I mean, I guess I see the value of a minimum even with a salary cap, but a maximum doesn't make sense to me. Why limit the maximum quality of players we can use?

I mean, I guess I see the value of a minimum even with a salary cap, but a maximum doesn't make sense to me. Why limit the maximum quality of players we can use?
Because it's unfair...just like it was in real life. :mellow:

The idea is that it throws out the handful of outliers that would give the people with the top picks a big advantage.

I'd be more in favor if we were using some sort of odd gimmick like we did with alphabet soup. If we're going to do a 90s sim, we should draft the best players of the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:

The idea is that it throws out the handful of outliers that would give the people with the top picks a big advantage.

I'd be more in favor if we were using some sort of odd gimmick like we did with alphabet soup. If we're going to do a 90s sim, we should draft the best players of the 90s.
If you blacklist the uber-Maddux and Pedro years, their remaining seasons will still be first round worthy. Not even Hideo Nomo will be out of play if we set the cap correctly.

94 Maddux is a huge outlier.

jfranco77 said:
A- Salary cap or not?

what are the TOC rules?
TOC values are every 10mil. So there is a 90mil TOC, a 100mil TOC, a 40mil TOC, etc. Any theme/open league teams who win their league or lose the WS (in bigger leagues) are placed in the lowest TOC which doesn't exceed their value.

So, a 90,000,001 team goes into the 100mil TOC (with a disadvantage of 9,999,999 in raw salary). There's also no DH in the TOC so if you have a DH then you have a $7mil PH.

The "best" TOC to go into is a 90mil TOC where your team is really 90mil with no DH, and no wasted $ on the bench. Because Open League teams will be 80mil + the value of their AAA guys so you *should* have a leg up on them.

Though even if we set the cap at 90mil I am not sure we would have an advantage over the OL teams with 3 Addie Josses. So I'm less inclined to worry about how we'll do in the TOC. With all the deadball pitchers we are probably doomed at any cap.

Above 100mil, the odd # TOCs fill more slowly, so a 110mil TOC will be sort of slow, a 130mil will be very slow, etc. So it's better to be on an even #.

So, franco, what's the sweet spot salary-wise for forcing folks to field a realistic 25-man roster from the 90's?

ETA: I see you mentioned 100 as a tight squeeze and 120 as a decent target with a DH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I'm thinking as a "try to make everyone happy" solution:

$120 mil salary cap

$1 mil player salary minimum

No player salary max

Designated hitter in play.

Dice roll will begin this afternoon with eyes towards a Monday start to the draft (picks can be made prior to that if we get the draft order locked down)

If you have serious issue with any of this, whine now or forever hold your peace.

I think 100 myself but 110 seems to be the high end. 120 is close to defeating the purpose from the number I looked at, but Franco would likely know better than me.

Franco kind of knows what he's doing in these things. :shrug:

110 would present more of a challenge. Maybe Ser Franco can weigh in.

Future failed WIS idea: Everyone picks a franchise, or maybe draws a franchise. The salary cap they get for the draft is that franchises average real salary spent, say for the last 10 (15?) years.

I think 100 myself but 110 seems to be the high end. 120 is close to defeating the purpose from the number I looked at, but Franco would likely know better than me.
Noted. Perhaps 110 is the better number?
I found my old WIS #6 spreadsheet. We had a $100M cap but w/ a player pool that was about 4x the size of this one (and no minimum salary). I recall that one being too much of a value optimization exercise even for me.

I think $110M sounds OK. I used three minimum salary bums in WIS #6 and a $500K Franklin Stubbs. If we figure $3M of the extra $10M cap room goes to the end of the bench, there's still $7M to spread around the rest of the roster. Budgeting for a DH is uncharted territory though.

Future failed WIS idea: Everyone picks a franchise, or maybe draws a franchise. The salary cap they get for the draft is that franchises average real salary spent, say for the last 10 (15?) years.
Why? Half the teams would have absolutely no chance at winning.

To do franchises you have to figure out a way to even them out.

Noted. Perhaps 110 is the better number?
I found my old WIS #6 spreadsheet. We had a $100M cap but w/ a player pool that was about 4x the size of this one (and no minimum salary). I recall that one being too much of a value optimization exercise even for me.

I think $110M sounds OK. I used three minimum salary bums in WIS #6 and a $500K Franklin Stubbs. If we figure $3M of the extra $10M cap room goes to the end of the bench, there's still $7M to spread around the rest of the roster. Budgeting for a DH is uncharted territory though.
Yes, but with 4x more players, there were 4x the high end salary players. Our expectations for quality will be much lower in this draft, which means our average salaries will be lower. Which means our needed salary will be lower. I would say add $10M for the DH position and call it a day.

DICE ROLL INSTRUCTIONS

Dice roll at this link (RPGLibrary)

1d1000, 1 time

Send the results to wisruthroll@gmail.com and to your own e-mail address. Please put "WIS XVII" in the subject line.

Rolls will be ordered from largest to smallest. Largest number rolled drafts in the 1.01 slot, smallest number rolled drafts 1.24 (e.g. 987 probably gets the first pick, 43 likely gets the last pick).

Here's what I'm thinking as a "try to make everyone happy" solution:

$120 mil salary cap $110 mil salary cap

$1 mil player salary minimum

No player salary max

Designated hitter in play.

Dice roll will begin this afternoon with eyes towards a Monday start to the draft (picks can be made prior to that if we get the draft order locked down)

If you have serious issue with any of this, whine now or forever hold your peace.

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for wisruthroll@gmail.com.

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1Die rolls: 275Roll subtotal: 275Roll total: 275

####!

Users who are viewing this thread