What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Omar Jacobs...... (1 Viewer)

jgb95

Footballguy
NCAA | O. Jacobs to declare for NFL Draft

Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:18:12 -0800

ESPNews reports Bowling Green junior QB Omar Jacobs will declare for the 2006 NFL Draft.

Where do you see him going in the NFL Draft?

he has potential, but if Young comes out, Jacobs would be atleast the 4th QB off the board, if not 5th or 6th.

he has potential, but if Young comes out, Jacobs would be atleast the 4th QB off the board, if not 5th or 6th.
Ahead or behind of Marcus Vick now?
:popcorn: ahead ... if that matters. Do not get me wrong, Jacobs has his followers. Some here think he is better than Leinhart. We will soon hear about his athletic ability, his magical conference for QBs, etc. But, for certain, he is behind Leinhart, Young (if he comes out), and Cutler.

He's got to do something with that delivery. Just looks plain awkward. Whenever I've watched him play, my reaction is never "that's an NFL QB," it's always "that's a system QB."

:popcorn: ahead ... if that matters. Do not get me wrong, Jacobs has his followers. Some here think he is better than Leinhart. We will soon hear about his athletic ability, his magical conference for QBs, etc. But, for certain, he is behind Leinhart, Young (if he comes out), and Cutler.
For certain he is behind Leinart and Young. He is probably behind Cutler, but some will look at his talent and rate him higher. The MAC rocks for QBs. ;)

I'm somewhat surprised by this declaration, but am looking forward to seeing where they land.

Off hand, I'm guessing Jacobs hits one of

Chicago - my odds on choice

New Orleans

Arizona

Miami

He'll go behind the players mentioned is my take (with the exception of Marcus Vick, that dude is not even close to being what Michael is and that speaks volumes quite frankly). In all honesty I'm not sure if Omar has the fire it takes to be a great QB. He will need to go somewhere and be able to sit for a year and he will need good workouts to stay in the first round.

He'll go behind the players mentioned is my take (with the exception of Marcus Vick, that dude is not even close to being what Michael is and that speaks volumes quite frankly). In all honesty I'm not sure if Omar has the fire it takes to be a great QB. He will need to go somewhere and be able to sit for a year and he will need good workouts to stay in the first round.
wondering when you would join this thread. Nice avatar. where do you see him going?

For certain he is behind Leinart and Young. He is probably behind Cutler, but some will look at his talent and rate him higher. The MAC rocks for QBs. ;)

I'm somewhat surprised by this declaration, but am looking forward to seeing where they land.

Off hand, I'm guessing Jacobs hits one of

Chicago - my odds on choice

New Orleans

Arizona

Miami
His WR's and his RB's were all seniors, so that would leave the whole team on his back next year since there is no defense to begin with. It was really his best choice and I'm glad he declared. I think if he went into a WCO system and was developed, he could become something exceptional.

I'd like to see the Vikings give him a shot in round 2 or 3 if he is still there. Let him ride the pine for a few years and learn the system. I think he is a good prospect who could be the third for the Vikings (Shaun Hill isn't anything anyway).

wondering when you would join this thread. Nice avatar. where do you see him going?
Right now late first early second. He has a good arm it just hasn't been used all that much. I think he has all the tools to succeed but he isn't ready to go right now. I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit take him and sign a vet. Arizona would be real intriguing. NO = Bad. A lot of other not so obvious places out there too like Houston, Oakland, Jets and even a place with an older QB like KC. Who knows right now? Omar will either be a fast riser or sinker come draft day.

He's got to do something with that delivery. Just looks plain awkward. Whenever I've watched him play, my reaction is never "that's an NFL QB," it's always "that's a system QB."
Just because he throws weird doesn't mean he throws badHe is extremely accurate, throwing sidearm actually promotes more direct passing, with less strength going into the throw. However, he can still sling the ball around. He doesn't have elite arm strength like the Favres, Bradys, or Culpeppers of the league, but he still has a strong arm

A lot of other not so obvious places out there too like Houston, Oakland, Jets and even a place with an older QB like KC. Who knows right now? Omar will either be a fast riser or sinker come draft day.
Good post overall, I just had to comment on this part.Oakland has Walter, no real need to move for Jacobs.

Jets would be very interesting, and possible IMO. What's up with Penny and the new HC?

KC - I like it, but if they want to take a QB early, my $ would be on Cutler. From what I've seen, he's more in the Trent Green / Chad Pennington mold. Herm would do well with Cutler, assuming he falls far enough.

I linked to his coming out in the Draft Talk QB thread this afternoon, and nobody commented. :( Anyway, Jacobs goes in the first round. Maybe near the bottom, but he won't fall to the second. Also, he pretty much had to come out. All his weapons were seniors and so was the best of his OL. They will stink next year, and Omar still has a first round grade from last year's crazy stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacobs is an unbelievable talent. Not the arm strength, but his ability to read defenses, and his accuracy are equal or better to any of the consensu top quarterbacks. He is going to be an absolute steal for a team, but not too much of a steal, as I don't see him sliding out of the 2nd round. To me, he is the most polished, sure thing qb in the draft.

Jacobs is an unbelievable talent. Not the arm strength, but his ability to read defenses, and his accuracy are equal or better to any of the consensu top quarterbacks. He is going to be an absolute steal for a team, but not too much of a steal, as I don't see him sliding out of the 2nd round. To me, he is the most polished, sure thing qb in the draft.
I thought I liked the kid. :loco: Most polished? I don't see how that argument is made over Leinart.

Sure thing? A better argument is made here - just look at the MAC! ;)

stats alone won't make you a 1st rounder. I highy doubt Jacobs sniffs the 1st round
He'd have been in the top ten last year. He's certainly fallen from those heights, but Cutler didn't move past him until Omar was injured. No one expected Patrick Ramsey, JP Losman, or Jason Campbell to sniff the first round, but they all did. Omar is the perfect candidate for that because he has a great arm and above average athleticism. I'm out on a limb here, because it appears he's looking at 3rd or 4th round evaluation from the committee.

Maybe I should lay off the... :banned:

Wildly productive, very funky delivery. That about sums him up. Also not perceived as a "natural leader" whatever that means [this is from NFL Draft Scout notes, I can't speak to what they mean.]He could easily end up higher than Cutler depending on workouts, but more than likely comes off the board in the 2nd or 3rd round.

stats alone won't make you a 1st rounder. I highy doubt Jacobs sniffs the 1st round
He'd have been in the top ten last year. He's certainly fallen from those heights, but Cutler didn't move past him until Omar was injured. No one expected Patrick Ramsey, JP Losman, or Jason Campbell to sniff the first round, but they all did. Omar is the perfect candidate for that because he has a great arm and above average athleticism. I'm out on a limb here, because it appears he's looking at 3rd or 4th round evaluation from the committee.

Maybe I should lay off the... :banned:
QBs are strange in the draft, teams reach very early for them, but after that they tend to fall. Using last year as an example. Campbell went in the 1st, but Frye and orton dropped to 4th when really the talent gap (IMO) was not two or three rounds. In short, if some team falls in love with him, he will go in the 1st, but if they kinda just like him he could drop into the 3rd or 4th range.Edit: just looked at the drafts from the last five years and there has not been a QB selected in the 2nd round since 2001 when there were thee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildly productive, very funky delivery. That about sums him up. Also not perceived as a "natural leader" whatever that means [this is from NFL Draft Scout notes, I can't speak to what they mean.]

He could easily end up higher than Cutler depending on workouts, but more than likely comes off the board in the 2nd or 3rd round.
He isn't a "natural leader" because he says about all of two words outside of football. I mean it's great the guy doesn't have an ego but I almost thing you have to have some kind of swagger if you are to be a top QB.

I would love to see Dallas grab him for their future QB :thumbup:
That would be another good team. I think he is either going to be a fast riser or faller come draft day. Not sure if many teams need a QB and the ones that do will probably pick them early. Although as mentioned before several wildcards like Detroit, NYJ (trade down) or if he slips some teams that have older QB's.

you people calling this kid in the 2nd or 3rd round are nuts. he's going to shoot waaaaay up the charts in the workouts, possibly into top-15 range.

I think with injuries, from a small school and his personality he could slip into late first early 2nd but I don't think beyond that. I think he did leave on the knowledge that he is most likely a first but the best reason I see for him is that he would be working with mainly freshman and sophomore's on offense next year. His draft stock wouldn't have gotten higher next year... but ya late first/early second with good workouts and a press for QB's Top 10/15.

Jacobs didnt declare for the draft based on the knowledge hed be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
Right. He declared after the NFL Draft Advisory Board gave him a 4th round projection. The truth is he declared because two decent receivers a good back and his best OLs are graduating seniors and their replacements are terrible. Bowling Green is going to be awful next year and staying would have been terrible. Those are the facts.I still say he goes in the first round. :D

Would be interesting to see if someone like TEN would forego a Vince Young and settle for a Cutler/Jacobs type. Obviously on the premise that McNair has another year withthe team and Volek (or another vet brought in on a one or two year deal) could cover for any injuries.Same deal for the Jets although they would need the veteran to start

When given the chance v. a school from a BCS conferance, Jacobs did alright:mad: Wisconsin:30-51 458 yards 5 tds 162.69 passer rating

Jacobs, like Cutler, are exactly the type of guys that will rise to the first round regardless of their grade right now. Both have all the tools to succeed at QB, and have flashed the ability to translate those tools into production. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and at least a few GMs will see the QB Jacobs *could* be with the right coaching to work on his delivery and make a move like buffalo did with losman, or washington did with campbell, and get nervous because they *HAVE* to get this guy. If you watch a highlight reel of Jacobs from 04, you'll get caught up in it. Last year, he would have probably been a top 10 pick, and he would have given SF pause in their decision on who to take #1. If Jacobs really goes after the first round, he'll be a steal, because QBs with his tools and a year like his 2004 under their belt just dont come along that often.

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft. A smart move despite the mediocre season. Put him in your round one mocks. He won't fall and he will be the source of much debate.

Link
Its really an enigma to me as to where he goes, as several teams could easily make a case for selecting him in the middle rounds. So I took a look at the stats. Passing

Year-----Comp.-----Att.-----Pct.-----Yds.-----TD-----INT-----Long

2003------ 19------- 28---- 67.9---- 345------ 4------- 0-------66

2004----- 309------ 462--- 66.9---- 4002---- 41------- 4-------58

2005----- 195------ 321--- 60.7---- 2591---- 26------- 7------ 63

The first thing that jumps out to me is the TD/INT ratio. 2004 was impressive with a 10.25 TD/INT (67% completion) rate and 3.75 (60.7% completion) this year. Comparative to other passers, we have this:

2004:

Matt Lienart 33 TD's and 6 INT's: 5.5 TD/INT (65.3% completion)

Alex Smith 32 TD's and 4 INT's: 8 TD/INT (67.5% completion)

Aaron Rodgers 24 TD's and 8 INT's: 3 TD/INT (66.7% completion)

Jason Campbell 20 TD's and 7 INT's: 2.86 TD/INT (69.6% completion)

2005:

Matt Lienart 28 TD's and 8 INT's: 3.5 TD/INT (65% completion)

Drew Olson 34 TD's and 6 INT's: 5.66 TD/INT (64% completion)

Jay Cutler 21 TD's and 9 INT's: 2.33 TD/INT (59% completion)

Brady Quinn 32 TD's and 7 INT's: 4.56 TD/INT (65% completion)

This is good news for his stock considering we are comparing him favorably to a few strictly pocket passers and former 1st rounders. By this stat alone, he should go in the first round. His regression in passing has to be a little worrisome, seeing as though Lienart maintained his accuracy. But that still doesnt clarify his position. Lets take a look at something else.

Completions vs. TD

2004:

Omar Jacobs: 309 completions vs. 41 TD's: 7.53 completion/TD

Matt Lienart: 269 completions vs. 33 TD's: 8.15 completion/TD

Alex Smith: 214 completions vs. 32 TD's: 6.69 completion/TD

Aaron Rodgers: 209 completions vs. 24 TD's: 8.71 completion/TD

Jason Campbell: 188 completions vs. 20 TD's: 9.4 completion/TD

2005:

Omar Jacobs: 195 completions vs. 26 TD's: 7.5 completion/TD**

Matt Lienart: 283 completions vs. 28 TD's: 10.1 completion/TD

Drew Olson: 242 completions vs. 34 TD's: 7.11 completion/TD

Jay Cutler: 273 completions vs. 21 TD's: 13 completion/TD

Brady Quinn: 292 completions vs. 32 TD's: 9.125 completion/TD

** Jacobs only played 9/11 games. His projected stats would be the following: 238.33 completions/ 392.33 attempts for 3166.77 yards, 31.77 TD's and 8.5 TD's

So we know the dude has big play ability, consistantly having the lowest completion/TD ratio each year. The promising stat line of course is the 7.5 both years showing that he can may plays even after losing his star reciver from last year.

Passing Efficiency: Jacobs ranks 13th out of the entire D-1 college ranks, but when you narrow down the parameters to Qb's who have attempted 300+ passes, Jacobs jumps to #9. Of course, behind Lienart, Quinn and Olson, but a far cry better than Cutler who is way down the ranks with an efficiency nearly 25 points below that of Jacobs.

Because Jacobs only played 9 games, the following stat has to be taken into account: Yards per game, TD's per game and INT's per game

Omar Jacobs: 195 completions, 26 TD's, 7 INT's in 9 games

21.66 completions, 2.88 TD's, .77 INT per game

Matt Lienart: 283 completions, 28 TD's, 8 INT's in 12 games

23.58 completions, 2.33 TD's, .66 INT's per game

Drew Olson: 242 completions, 34 TD's, 6 INT's in 11 games

22.00 completions, 3.09 TD's, .54 INT's per game

Jay Cutler: 273 completions, 21 TD's, 9 INT's in 11 games

24.81 completions, 1.91 TD's, .81 INT's per game

Brady Quinn: 292 completions, 32 TD's, 7 INT's in 11 games

26.54 completions, 2.91 TD's, .63 INT's per game

Comparisons: As shown, Bowling Green didnt throw the ball much, but sure made it count when they did. Jacobs is last among completions but third in TD's per game and 4th in INT's. When compared to lienart, what stands out to me is the TD's per game and INT's per game. What surprised me is that when projected to a ten game season, Jacobs would be throwing 5 more TD's than Lienart while only throwing 1.1 more INT's- and this on 19 less completions! I know that the caliber of teams that faced USC is greater but this is certainly some strong evidence to boost Jacob's stock. Compared to Cutler, in the same 10 game span, he would average 9.7 more TD's and 4 less INT's- this while throwing an even more impressive 31 less passes. Even compared to a pure passer like Olson, he would throw 2 less TD's and 2 more INT's over a ten game span- this while throwing just 4 less completions.

Hence we can say this, this guy is every bit the passer that the others are billed to be. Yes, he was against MAC secondaries, but in their schedule alone, they played against some pretty tough teams. However, the dimension he adds is his quickness, far above olson. lienart, and Quinn and seemingly better than an already agile Cutler. This kid is going to be one hell of a player and would be shocked (if vince young declares) if he was not the thrid QB off the board. I wont say 1st round yet but it certainly is more than a possibility.

Just because he throws weird doesn't mean he throws badHe is extremely accurate, throwing sidearm actually promotes more direct passing, with less strength going into the throw. However, he can still sling the ball around. He doesn't have elite arm strength like the Favres, Bradys, or Culpeppers of the league, but he still has a strong arm
Brady is a great qb, but elite arm strength is not one of the reasons.

Jacobs, like Cutler, are exactly the type of guys that will rise to the first round regardless of their grade right now. Both have all the tools to succeed at QB, and have flashed the ability to translate those tools into production. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and at least a few GMs will see the QB Jacobs *could* be with the right coaching to work on his delivery and make a move like buffalo did with losman, or washington did with campbell, and get nervous because they *HAVE* to get this guy. If you watch a highlight reel of Jacobs from 04, you'll get caught up in it. Last year, he would have probably been a top 10 pick, and he would have given SF pause in their decision on who to take #1.

If Jacobs really goes after the first round, he'll be a steal, because QBs with his tools and a year like his 2004 under their belt just dont come along that often.
I'm hoping he makes it out of the first and Jets grab him in the 2nd- may be a bit too optimistic tough.

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft. A smart move despite the mediocre season. Put him in your round one mocks. He won't fall and he will be the source of much debate.

Link
Its really an enigma to me as to where he goes, as several teams could easily make a case for selecting him in the middle rounds. So I took a look at the stats.
Stats are a small part of the equation when it comes to college QB's.Tim Couch put up great numbers in college. But the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach offense inflated those numbers.

Bowling Green's offense was installed by Urban Meyer. Quarterbacks put up great numbers in that system.

Jacobs is accurate and makes good reads. But, as I said earlier, I've just never seen anything from him that screams "NFL" to me. I'd take a look at him in the 3rd or 4th round, but not any higher.

Jacobs is accurate and makes good reads. But, as I said earlier, I've just never seen anything from him that screams "NFL" to me. I'd take a look at him in the 3rd or 4th round, but not any higher.
Really? His frame, mobility, athleticism, arm, and almost flawless 2004 season all scream NFL to me. Ill be shocked if he lasts til the 3rd.

Brady is a great qb, but elite arm strength is not one of the reasons.
Its debatable nowadays.He's made some bullet passes and some bomb passes that I've never seen another QB make. He's easily on Bledsoe in his prime levels at this point.

Any word on how Jacobs is doing with the Chiefs? I'm surprised he can't even get into a preseason game

Users who are viewing this thread