What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One prediction for who will slip in the draft (1 Viewer)

MrPhoenix

Ron Paul Soldier
It sounds a bit crazy, does it. But think of this: Leinart is a lefty with suspect arm strength (according to scouts). Young and Cutler have more mobility than Leinart and more "physical tools" than Leinart. So would it not be out of the realm of possibility that Matt Leinart will take an Aaron Rodgers/Chad Pennington type drop? There always seems to be one QB that gets drafted lower than expected, it seems. Here's how things could play out for Leinart:

1. Houston: No chance

2. Saints: No chance with Brees in town

3. Tennessee: Front office likes Young better

4. NY Jets: Possibility, but are rumored to have a hard-on for both Mario Williams and D'Brick

5. Green Bay: No chance with Favre back, Rodgers in the wings, and a hard-on for Hawk

6. 49ers: Alex Smith anyone?

7. Oakland: Team likes Cutler and Young better reportedly

8. Buffalo: They can't be tired of Losman already could they? Plus, Leinarts So-Cal background may not translate well in bitter Buffalo winter.

9. Detroit: Mike Martz might have a heart attack if Leinart falls here, but with the Kitna/McCown coalition in town, does the Detroit brass really want to blow another pick on someone they really don't need?

10. Arizona: Perfect fit, could go with Sims, though.

11. St. Louis: Local media is teasing possible QB selection. Remote chance Rams go QB, but still a possibility

12. Cleveland: They love Frye, I guess.

13. Baltimore: McNair + Boller = No

14. Philly: Um, no.

15. Denver: Distinct possibility, is Plummer irritating enough?

16. Miami: Dante + Harrington = Nope

17. Minnesota: He doesn't fall any lower than here. OLB can wait when a franchise QB falls on your lap. Brad Johnson isn't getting any younger, and if they need, they can shift Mount Bryant to RT to protect Leinart's blind side.

Now again, it's a reach to think that Leinart could fall to #17, and it could actually very well be Cutler, but if a lot of the reported concerns about Leinart from NFL officials are true, I don't think it's unfathomable for Leinart to be the last QB taken out of the big 3.

TEAM LEINART BRACING FOR SLIDE?

At a time when former USC tailback Reggie Bush is dealing with an unwelcome distraction that could disrupt his plan to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, his teammate who could have been the first pick in 2004 could now be facing a slide conjuring memories of the Aaron Rodgers plunge in 2005.

A source close to the Leinart camp tells us that Matt's handlers have accepted the reality that the Titans won't be drafting their guy at No. 3, barring a dramatic reversal of the current intention to acquire Texas quarterback Vince Young. Per the source, new Leinart agent Tom Condon has attempted to get some kind of an assurance from each of the teams drafting in the top five -- but has gotten nothing.

At No. 4, the Jets are not expected to draft a quarterback. Word is that they are looking to land Alabama's Brodie Croyle later in the day.

At No. 5, the Packers can't afford to spend another first-rounder on a guy who'll do nothing for them in 2006, especially since Lord Favre is coming back for one more year.

At No. 6, the 49ers have their quarterback in Alex Smith.

We'd initially presumed that the Raiders would take Leinart at No. 7, but we're now hearing from multiple sources that they won't.

The Bills won't touch Leinart at No. 8, unless G.M. Marv Levy is even nuttier than we currently believe.

At No. 9, there's no way the Lions pounce on Leinart.

Then we come to the Cardinals at No. 10. Will Denny Green be able to resist drafting a guy who falls into his lap, just like Randy Moss did eight years ago? We've got the Cardinals taking offensive tackle Winston Justice, given the importance of beefing up the group of guys who are going to be charged with keeping those big-money skill-position players alive.

At No. 11, quarterback is one of the few positions that the Rams have covered.

At No. 12, we can't see the Browns taking Leinart.

Then come the Ravens at No. 13. In our current mock draft, we've got them taking Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler. Though we're feeling a little wishy-washy about whether Brian the Brain will stake his future on another first-round signal-caller, it might be hard for the supposed offensive guru to not take Leinart, if he falls into the team's lap.

And we think that the lowest Leinart would go, if he gets past Baltimore, is Minnesota at No. 17.

So the 2004 Heisman winner won't fall as dramatically as Rodgers did a year ago, when the Jeff Tedford prodigy plunged from potentially being the No. 1 pick all the way to No. 24. But given that Leinart was the presumptive No. 1 choice in 2005, and that he most likely would have been taken by the 49ers with the first pick, the possibility of sliding to No. 10 or lower translates into millions and millions of dollars of money that will never come back.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

as a titans fan i pray to the "big man upstairs" that we take leinart over young...
As a Cards fan I'm praying that VY doesn't fall to 10...I just know Denny will take him.

hucks, i always see you on the message board and respect your opinions, have you done a mock draft yet? how 'bout cutler as a card? would love to see him run a high powered offense...

hucks, i always see you on the message board and respect your opinions, have you done a mock draft yet?  how 'bout cutler as a card? would love to see him run a high powered offense...
Thanks.To be honest I have mixed feelings about cutler and haven't seen enough of him to have a strong opinion. From what I've read from scouts and analysts he seems to be a bit of a boom or bust to me. From what I've seen he has guts but hasn't been the great playmaker that he seems to be made out to be...I was unimpressed with his performance at the Senior Bowl, but realizing that was one game I don't put too much emphasis on that day.

In general I'm against taking QBs high in the first round, but I do think Leinart is safe enough to go high...there's no way he slides to the Cards though.

Cutler would be interesting but I'm hoping for Winston Justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Leinart slides this far, he'll become one of the best value picks in recent years.

If he slides past Detroit, the fans will have an even bigger reason to hate Millen.

Oh, and :lol: at "we used to think, but now we hear..." that's simply hedging - either "we were right all along" or "we have great sources!"

as a titans fan i pray to the "big man upstairs" that we take leinart over young...
As a Cards fan I'm praying that VY doesn't fall to 10...I just know Denny will take him.
You are very wise and good. I could not have put this any better having been a Viking fan during Green's tenure in Minnesota.

The guys I think could fall;

Lienart and Cutler - The top of the draft is very competitive. With the addition of quarterback secure teams at the top, these guys could drop.

AJ Hawk - I know this guy is good, but the top of the draft is very talented. Bush, Mario and D'Brick are clearly ahead of him. I could see a quarterback vacuum (teams trading up for Young, Cutler, Leinart) pushing him down the list as well. I also don't see Hawk being a more valuable prospect than Davis, Ngata, Justice or even DeAngelo Williams.

If Hawk slips it will be more because of the needs of the teams passing on him. His best shot right now is Green Bay, but if the winds slightly change in Green Bay and Hawk is still on the board at #6...

AJ Hawk - I know this guy is good, but the top of the draft is very talented. Bush, Mario and D'Brick are clearly ahead of him. I could see a quarterback vacuum (teams trading up for Young, Cutler, Leinart) pushing him down the list as well. I also don't see Hawk being a more valuable prospect than Davis, Ngata, Justice or even DeAngelo Williams.

If Hawk slips it will be more because of the needs of the teams passing on him. His best shot right now is Green Bay, but if the winds slightly change in Green Bay and Hawk is still on the board at #6...
I agree completely on Hawk. He's solid but not spectacular at the next level and the first 10-15 picks should be reserved for difference makers/impact players.

And if somehow, Oakland trades up to #2 to take VY (heard this as wild speculation yesterday) how does Tenn pass on Lienart? They don't. But that's still speculation.

One more example of how little you actually know about football.Heaven forbid Denny Green end up with a big mobile quarterback again.....sure didn't work out with Culpepper :rolleyes:

Young is twice the talent Culpepper was coming out of college. Young played for a big time school and won a national championship. Culpepper had won nothing, played for a small school and was a "risky" pick if I remember correctly. If Young fell to Arizona, with those receivers, you would be eating your moronic words.

One more example of how little you actually know about football.Heaven forbid Denny Green end up with a big mobile quarterback again.....sure didn't work out with Culpepper :rolleyes:

Young is twice the talent Culpepper was coming out of college. Young played for a big time school and won a national championship. Culpepper had won nothing, played for a small school and was a "risky" pick if I remember correctly. If Young fell to Arizona, with those receivers, you would be eating your moronic words.
Your stalking and constant attempts at belittling an active poster on this board for over the last 8 years reflects more negatively on you than you realize.I would stop now if I were you.

I say there is no way Lienart slips out of the top ten, if he made it to 6 or 7 I would be beyond amazed. If he slips at all, the Ravens will be burning up the phone lines to get this guy. If Lienart is there when the Packers pick, there is no way someone isn't offering up a trade to get him.

I am on the Vince Young bandwagon and I think he will be drafted by the Titans but that doesn't mean I don't think Lienart isn't one of the best QB talents to come out of football in a while. I still like the guy, I still think he will be a solid pro. He is a leader and he is a winner. I think there will be some kind of trade to get Lienart if the Jets aren't going to take him. If that doesn't work out, the same people will be calling Green Bay. He is too good to be passed up.

Your stalking and constant attempts at belittling an active poster on this board for over the last 8 years reflects more negatively on you than you realize.I would stop now if I were you.
You just happen to be in the same threads I am reading......constantly......oddly enough bashing Vince Young.

AJ Hawk - I know this guy is good, but the top of the draft is very talented.  Bush, Mario and D'Brick are clearly ahead of him.  I could see a quarterback vacuum (teams trading up for Young, Cutler, Leinart) pushing him down the list as well.  I also don't see Hawk being a more valuable prospect than Davis, Ngata, Justice or even DeAngelo Williams.

If Hawk slips it will be more because of the needs of the teams passing on him.  His best shot right now is Green Bay, but if the winds slightly change in Green Bay and Hawk is still on the board at #6...
I agree completely on Hawk. He's solid but not spectacular at the next level and the first 10-15 picks should be reserved for difference makers/impact players.
Does the fact the the Big 10 is terrible help things?

You just happen to be in the same threads I am reading......constantly......oddly enough bashing Vince Young.

And I could care how negatively it reflects on me. You make comments that I don't argree with and I am going to call you on it. I could care less how long you have been here. I won't even go into how you made up a ridiculous alias on the message board I write for and made a bunch of moronic comments. Your IP address doesn't lie.
I bash Vince Young and you in turn bash me...that is not how it works around here big guy.Additionally, I have no idea what this "alias" crap is that you speak of, but I never go to other messageboards...I'm always here, have been for 8 years. You've got the wrong person. And if you're making up this story to try to save face, you're not going to be around here for long. I'll make sure of it.

Now stop. It's annoying and it hurts your credibility significantly more than you realize.

And if somehow, Oakland trades up to #2 to take VY (heard this as wild speculation yesterday) how does Tenn pass on Lienart? They don't. But that's still speculation.
they take Mario Williams or trade down with someone who wants Williams or Leinart and then take Cutler

AJ Hawk - I know this guy is good, but the top of the draft is very talented.  Bush, Mario and D'Brick are clearly ahead of him.  I could see a quarterback vacuum (teams trading up for Young, Cutler, Leinart) pushing him down the list as well.  I also don't see Hawk being a more valuable prospect than Davis, Ngata, Justice or even DeAngelo Williams.

If Hawk slips it will be more because of the needs of the teams passing on him.  His best shot right now is Green Bay, but if the winds slightly change in Green Bay and Hawk is still on the board at #6...
Does the fact the the Big 10 is terrible help things?
:rolleyes:

Hawk deserves to be in the tier right below Bush, Mario & DBrick as far as difference makers go. Who are the other 10 you see that will have more of an impact than Hawk? :popcorn:

Hawk will not slip. He will be a performer 1st year, a player with no question marks, a solid person, and will be around for 10 years.

Hawk deserves to be in the tier right below Bush, Mario & DBrick as far as difference makers go. Who are the other 10 you see that will have more of an impact than Hawk? :popcorn:
I think Hawk is another Urlacher. He will be a great defensive QB for some team.

Does the opinion the the Big 10 is terrible help things?
No

I don't think he'll fall past 7. Oakland would thank the Gods if he fell that far down...

And to think we all had Bush, Leinart, Young all 1,2,3 just a few months ago.. :lmao:

I don't think he'll fall past 7. Oakland would thank the Gods if he fell that far down...

And to think we all had Bush, Leinart, Young all 1,2,3 just a few months ago.. :lmao:
Some still do.Mike and Mike this morning - "don't be surprised if New Orleans drafts Matt Leinart" (or words to that effect)

You’re on the clock, Chris Spielman, with the 12th pick in this weekend’s draft. You’re the general manager of the Cleveland Browns.

What do you suppose the former Ohio State linebacker and NFL Pro Bowler would do? Trade up? Trade down? Stay put?

Or snag Buckeye linebacker A.J. Hawk, widely regarded as the best linebacker in this draft and whose name stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Spielman’s in OSU’s linebacking lore?

Spielman: Any of the above.

Except drafting Hawk.

Spielman, who was an impact player at linebacker, said the Browns should stay put, and if they trade up into the top five or six picks Saturday, it shouldn’t be to draft a linebacker.

“I wouldn’t draft a linebacker,” Spielman said. “Nothing against A.J., because he’ll be drafted high and he deserves to be.”

It was an odd conversation with Spielman. We talked during the final minute of the Legends game on Sunday. Spielman, a blue-collar player who hated playing on artificial turf, thoroughly enjoyed watching the indoor version of the game.

And here was an impact linebacker making the argument that linebacker isn’t an impact position.

“There are more vital positions,” Spielman said. “I just think if you’re trading up, you trade up to draft an impact player like Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart or D’Brickashaw Ferguson.”

Spielman sees the game with different eyes now. He sees the whole picture. Here was one of the best linebackers of his time making the case that a left tackle is more of an impact player than a linebacker.

“There are more impact positions than linebacker,” Spielman said.

Perhaps, though, Spielman knows what a lot of defensive coordinators already believe: Hawk’s 4.55 40-yard time on a 6-foot-1, 245-pound body is freakish.

But most believe Hawk is a better fit for a 4-3 defense than a 3-4 scheme.

The Browns might better themselves by trading out of 12, a few spots lower and grabbing Bobby Carpenter and getting another first-day pick. Carpenter, who missed just about all of the Michigan game and Fiesta Bowl with a broken ankle, is more suited to play in the 3-4.

But don’t get buried in the numbers. Carpenter had eight of his 14 1/2 career sacks last season thanks to scheme and Hawk’s presence.

Spielman may be right. Rookie linebackers rarely make an impact. Bush, used in situations, may be more of an impact player.

The Browns, who finished 30th against the run and last in the NFL in sacks, have bigger needs. The real general manager, Phil Savage, seems to bring this up every time he talks about the draft.

Cleveland will go with a defensive player. The Browns won’t trade up for Hawk, unless Savage has a change of heart Saturday afternoon.

There is one comment from Savage that still rings today.

“A.J. Hawk may be the safest pick in the draft,” he said.

That means fool-proof. Spielman doesn’t disagree.

He just isn’t sure moving up, or more importantly the cost to do so, is prudent. Cleveland has made worse draft-day decisions.

The Repository

500 Market Ave. S.

Canton, OH 44702 This page was created April 27, 2006

©2006 The Repository

Have a question and/or comment about this site?

E-mail the webmaster at: webmaster@cantonrep.com Main #: 330-580-8300

Classified #: 330-580-8400

Circulation #: 330-580-8500

“I wouldn’t draft a linebacker,” Spielman said. “Nothing against A.J., because he’ll be drafted high and he deserves to be.”

It was an odd conversation with Spielman.

“There are more vital positions,” Spielman said. “I just think if you’re trading up, you trade up to draft an impact player like Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart or D’Brickashaw Ferguson.”
Exactly...I like Spielman a lot more now.

I would be very surprised if Leinart fell past the Titans - and while I still think the Titans would be better off patching things up with McNair and drafting OL, if Steve is out then hello Matt.

I'll wait a few years before I buy the jersey though.

It sounds a bit crazy, does it. But think of this: Leinart is a lefty with suspect arm strength (according to scouts). Young and Cutler have more mobility than Leinart and more "physical tools" than Leinart. So would it not be out of the realm of possibility that Matt Leinart will take an Aaron Rodgers/Chad Pennington type drop? There always seems to be one QB that gets drafted lower than expected, it seems. Here's how things could play out for Leinart:

4. NY Jets: Possibility, but are rumored to have a hard-on for both Mario Williams and D'Brick

5. Green Bay: No chance with Favre back, Rodgers in the wings, and a hard-on for Hawk

8. Buffalo: They can't be tired of Losman already could they? Plus, Leinarts So-Cal background may not translate well in bitter Buffalo winter.

9. Detroit: Mike Martz might have a heart attack if Leinart falls here, but with the Kitna/McCown coalition in town, does the Detroit brass really want to blow another pick on someone they really don't need?

11. St. Louis: Local media is teasing possible QB selection. Remote chance Rams go QB, but still a possibility

17. Minnesota: He doesn't fall any lower than here. OLB can wait when a franchise QB falls on your lap. Brad Johnson isn't getting any younger, and if they need, they can shift Mount Bryant to RT to protect Leinart's blind side.

Now again, it's a reach to think that Leinart could fall to #17, and it could actually very well be Cutler, but if a lot of the reported concerns about Leinart from NFL officials are true, I don't think it's unfathomable for Leinart to be the last QB taken out of the big 3.
I like it! :thumbup:

It sounds a bit crazy, does it.  But think of this: Leinart is a lefty with suspect arm strength (according to scouts).  Young and Cutler have more mobility than Leinart and more "physical tools" than Leinart.  So would it not be out of the realm of possibility that Matt Leinart will take an Aaron Rodgers/Chad Pennington type drop?  There always seems to be one QB that gets drafted lower than expected, it seems.  Here's how things could play out for Leinart:

8. Buffalo: They can't be tired of Losman already could they?  Plus, Leinarts So-Cal background may not translate well in bitter Buffalo winter.

11. St. Louis: Local media is teasing possible QB selection.  Remote chance Rams go QB, but still a possibility

17. Minnesota: He doesn't fall any lower than here.  OLB can wait when a franchise QB falls on your lap.  Brad Johnson isn't getting any younger, and if they need, they can shift Mount Bryant to RT to protect Leinart's blind side.

whats your evidence to support this claim? lol..Norm Chow and Jeff Fisher are USC guys..all joking aside, they won't let Leinart get past them..Chow has coached him already, he knows all about Leinart, his nuances, his strengths/weaknesses,how he trains, his work ethic, etc..he knows nothing about VY other that what he's seen on tape...not that VY doesn't work hard at what he does, its just that there is a level of comfort in drafting someone you've already coached in college..Chow probably had a big hand in recruiting Leinart to USC, and he's probably known him since high school..IMO, there is zero % chance that either Leinart OR Bush( if he's still there) get past Tenn at #3..the only way I see them NOT taking Leinart, is if the Jets or someone else moves up in front of them to draft him at #1 or #2..

It sounds a bit crazy, does it.  But think of this: Leinart is a lefty with suspect arm strength (according to scouts).  Young and Cutler have more mobility than Leinart and more "physical tools" than Leinart.  So would it not be out of the realm of possibility that Matt Leinart will take an Aaron Rodgers/Chad Pennington type drop?  There always seems to be one QB that gets drafted lower than expected, it seems.  Here's how things could play out for Leinart:

8. Buffalo: They can't be tired of Losman already could they?  Plus, Leinarts So-Cal background may not translate well in bitter Buffalo winter.

11. St. Louis: Local media is teasing possible QB selection.  Remote chance Rams go QB, but still a possibility

17. Minnesota: He doesn't fall any lower than here.  OLB can wait when a franchise QB falls on your lap.  Brad Johnson isn't getting any younger, and if they need, they can shift Mount Bryant to RT to protect Leinart's blind side.

whats your evidence to support this claim? lol..Norm Chow and Jeff Fisher are USC guys..all joking aside, they won't let Leinart get past them..Chow has coached him already, he knows all about Leinart, his nuances, his strengths/weaknesses,how he trains, his work ethic, etc..he knows nothing about VY other that what he's seen on tape...not that VY doesn't work hard at what he does, its just that there is a level of comfort in drafting someone you've already coached in college..Chow probably had a big hand in recruiting Leinart to USC, and he's probably known him since high school..IMO, there is zero % chance that either Leinart OR Bush( if he's still there) get past Tenn at #3..the only way I see them NOT taking Leinart, is if the Jets or someone else moves up in front of them to draft him at #1 or #2..
:goodposting: I agree.Word here in TN is that there is no way TN will pass on Leinhart. Young will only be a Titan if Leinhart is not available. According to local press and radio.

If Leinart slides this far, he'll become one of the best value picks in recent years.

If he slides past Detroit, the fans will have an even bigger reason to hate Millen.

Oh, and :lol: at "we used to think, but now we hear..." that's simply hedging - either "we were right all along" or "we have great sources!"
It would be ridiculous of them to pass on Leinart only because Harrington didn't work out.

As a Card fan I would be very happy to see him in Red. Not sure why you dont like him.
There goes the fantasy value of Fitz and Boldin.

I've always been a Spielman fan, which as a Wolverine fan was somewhat difficult.He's right of course. :thumbup:

As a Card fan I would be very happy to see him in Red. Not sure why you dont like him.
A lot of detractors are going to be eating their words in a few years.

Maybe so, but if Vince is starting next year it will be rough for the Cards passing game. Give him a couple years on the bench and I like his chances a lot better.

Maybe so, but if Vince is starting next year it will be rough for the Cards passing game. Give him a couple years on the bench and I like his chances a lot better.
What happened to Warner?Let's say the Cards don't draft Young, what happens if Warner got injured?

PFT:

SKIES BRIGHTEN FOR TEAM LEINARTOur official Team Leinart source tells us that the mood is dramatically improving in and around the 2004 Heisman winner. Word is that agent Tom Condon recently has told Leinart that he'll "definitely" be off of the board within the first three picks on Saturday.Condon, we hear, now believes that Titans G.M. Floyd Reese -- who wants Vince Young -- has been overruled by owner Bud Adams. Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow both are strongly believed to be pro-Leinart.Condon also believes, we're told, that there's also a possibility that the Saints will still take Leinart at No. 2. Rumors are circulating that quarterback Drew Brees is behind schedule in the rehabilitation of his shoulder injury, which required surgery earlier in the offseason.On Tuesday night, we heard that the Leinart camp was bracing for a potential fall past the ten spot. Our somewhat-educated guess is that, if Leinart should be available past No. 7, someone will try to trade up with the Bills to get him at No. 8.

I think Hawk is another Urlacher. He will be a great defensive QB for some team.
Not sure nick Barnett will like that idea.

What happened to Warner?Let's say the Cards don't draft Young, what happens if Warner got injured?
Let's say he does get injured, you think Young will be ready this year?

PFT:

SKIES BRIGHTEN FOR TEAM LEINART

Our official Team Leinart source tells us that the mood is dramatically improving in and around the 2004 Heisman winner. Word is that agent Tom Condon recently has told Leinart that he'll "definitely" be off of the board within the first three picks on Saturday.

Condon, we hear, now believes that Titans G.M. Floyd Reese -- who wants Vince Young -- has been overruled by owner Bud Adams. Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow both are strongly believed to be pro-Leinart.

Condon also believes, we're told, that there's also a possibility that the Saints will still take Leinart at No. 2. Rumors are circulating that quarterback Drew Brees is behind schedule in the rehabilitation of his shoulder injury, which required surgery earlier in the offseason.

On Tuesday night, we heard that the Leinart camp was bracing for a potential fall past the ten spot. Our somewhat-educated guess is that, if Leinart should be available past No. 7, someone will try to trade up with the Bills to get him at No. 8.
Just as I thought. I'm so glad AJ had the balls to let him go even though it pissed off a lot of Chargers fans.

The same reason why many scouts don't like him...unproven read and react skills.

Agreed. Very refreshing. And he's absolutely right... :thumbup:

Agreed. Very refreshing. And he's absolutely right... :thumbup:
Funny, I got blasted by a few board members for saying the guy was overrated a few days ago. There's so much manlove for Hawk it's ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread