What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Opinion - Elon Musk Is The New Darling Of Conservatives? (1 Viewer)

What's your response to: "Elon Elon Musk Is The New Darling Of Conservatives"?

• Total voters
The Commish said:
Right....that's my point.  He's their darling until he isn't.  It should be rather obvious that those cheering him on right now, really aren't up to speed on his overall set of positions or are and just don't care because he checks the box on this particular soundbyte.  

I think that's where we see it differently. Elon Musk is pretty well known. I think most know he's full on electric car / smoking marijuana on Joe Rogan guy. 

That's what I mean in I pushed back on  "Purity tests are tough to apply to people that think for themselves and dont fall lock step in line with the talking points."

I see non MAGA fan boy Conservatives who don't seem intent on applying some sort of purity test with him. I see them getting behind a guy who is talking a lot about free speech. Which seems interesting. 

I think that's where we see it differently. Elon Musk is pretty well known. I think most know he's full on electric car / smoking marijuana on Joe Rogan guy. 

That's what I mean in I pushed back on  "Purity tests are tough to apply to people that think for themselves and dont fall lock step in line with the talking points."

I see non MAGA fan boy Conservatives who don't seem intent on applying some sort of purity test with him. I see them getting behind a guy who is talking a lot about free speech. Which seems interesting. 
Yeah....I definitely disagree.  I'm rather confident in my assumption that most of the loudest, squeakiest wheels lauding over him on the internet couldn't pick him out of a line up, much less know all the various positions he holds.  Wait til they find out he's for more gun control (just one example).

Yeah....I definitely disagree.  I'm rather confident in my assumption that most of the loudest, squeakiest wheels lauding over him on the internet couldn't pick him out of a line up, much less know all the various positions he holds.  Wait til they find out he's for more gun control (just one example).

Cool. We can disagree there. I think few people in the world are more known than Elon Musk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not asking "gotcha" questions as I don't expect you to have full awareness of all social media.  I'm just asking, of the places you go to, are there any you wouldn't consider cesspools as you defined above.  For example, best I can tell, here would also be a cesspool if you applied your approach above.  I'm leaving the possibility open that I don't fully understand what makes twitter a cesspool in your mind, thus all the questions.
Honestly no as I’m 47 and SM is not the center of my life.  But what I’ve experienced (FB,here, FFT,Reddit, 4chan, twitter) all get ugly when the reigns come off.   All you have to do is look at the discourse difference between here and the FFT, it’s a stark difference in just some differences in moderation.  And yes this place would go down hill FAST if all moderation stopped tomorrow.  

I'm not often surprised by the forum but I never expected to read that Elon Musk is not one of the most well known people in the world. I can't think of many people more likely to be recognized and have a few points known about where they stand on things. But that's why I enjoy the forums. Love hearing a different perspective and opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not often surprised by the forum but I never expected to read that Elon Musk is not one of the most well known people in the world. I can't think of many people more likely to be recognized and have a few points known about where they stand on things. 
The above seems to conflate a few different things.  Is he one of the most well known names in the world?  Probably.  Do people know why he's famous?  Sure.  Do people know his actual stances on a myriad of issues?  Unlikely.  For instance, I've literally never given Elon Musk's opinion on gun control a first thought, much less a second, prior to reading the above.

More importantly, I rather suspect you and @The Commish are talking about a different set of people.  I imagine he's thinking of your average Twitter troll whereas you're thinking more along the lines of posters here.

The above seems to conflate a few different things.  Is he one of the most well known names in the world?  Probably.  Do people know why he's famous?  Sure.  Do people know his actual stances on a myriad of issues?  Unlikely.  For instance, I've literally never given Elon Musk's opinion on gun control a first thought, much less a second, prior to reading the above.

More importantly, I rather suspect you and @The Commish are talking about a different set of people.  I imagine he's thinking of your average Twitter troll whereas you're thinking more along the lines of posters here.

We may be talking about different groups. 

And for sure, lots of people won't know in detail all his positions. But that's true of anyone. I'm saying of all the people in the world, I can't think of many who are more well known for who the are and what they do and what positions they hold than Elon Musk. 

I'm not often surprised by the forum but I never expected to read that Elon Musk is not one of the most well known people in the world. I can't think of many people more likely to be recognized and have a few points known about where they stand on things. But that's why I enjoy the forums. Love hearing a different perspective and opinion.
To be clear, its not a claim globally. Its specific to those "conservatives" jumping on the bandwagon because of this most recent action. Im not commenting on anyone other than them specifically. 

To be clear, its not a claim globally. Its specific to those "conservatives" jumping on the bandwagon because of this most recent action. Im not commenting on anyone other than them specifically. 
Most of the conservatives jumping on the bandwagon would imo be people familiar with Twitter...who would be people familiar with Elon Musk?  I'm trying to think who you are thinking of?

Most of the conservatives jumping on the bandwagon would imo be people familiar with Twitter...who would be people familiar with Elon Musk?  I'm trying to think who you are thinking of?
See....I'm not even sure THIS is true.  This group I am thinking of is the typical talking points yahoos who get their marching orders from their favorite extreme site.  I just don't see any of the people familiar with the workings of twitter or Musk would be throwing this much weight behind him being a "savior" of any sort.  They'd know the reality of who Musk is and what his likely path is going to be in this.

Users who are viewing this thread