What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Opinion - Elon Musk Is The New Darling Of Conservatives? (1 Viewer)

What's your response to: "Elon Elon Musk Is The New Darling Of Conservatives"?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Had this conversation with some friends today and their answer surprised me. Wanted to see what a bigger group here thought:

Good point -- I assumed "a majority of voters for conservatives" when I answered.

Which isn't really "conservative" at all anymore.

Had this conversation with some friends today and their answer surprised me. Wanted to see what a bigger group here thought:

On the fence.  More the darling of Libertarians.  Hero of the rich liberals.

Conservatives are happy with Elon Musk at the moment.  But I have no reason to think that Musk is "conservative" in any sense of that word.  He just happens to like free speech, which used to be an uncontroversial position until five minutes ago when progressives changed their minds on that one.

Musk seems like the type of person who might latch on to some left-adjacent cause tomorrow (like, I dunno, climate change?) and instantly go from hero to villain and vice versa.  I doubt he cares about this sort of thing.

I’m on the fence but the left are now cheering for Vanguard, Blackrock, and Saudi Arabia… And against free speech, and the guy who pioneered electric cars and reinvented space travel. Truly amazing to watch. 

With today's "conservative" he's their darling until he isn't. Purity tests are tough to apply to people that think for themselves and dont fall lock step in line with the talking points. 

That's an interesting point. I do think Musk a darling. But I can't think of any person less likely to pass a purity test there. He's all over the map. I know it's popular to bemoan purity tests on both sides, but Musk doesn't fit that narrative at all. 

Is Liz Cheney the new darling of liberals? Well yeah I would say so. 

Bill Maher’s been a liberal his entire life but of late I hear a lot of conservatives praise him as well. 

My conclusion is: people on both sides love those who rebel against the opposite side, especially if it really pisses off the opposite side. All part of the pathetic political  game that most of us are engaged in, in which “winning”, whatever that means, is more important than actually achieving good things. 

It’s a temporarily love. He’s rich and making liberals upset, that alone gets him conservative love. But it won’t last. I’d say within a year he’ll be as hated as Bazos. He’s driven by his ego and wealth and that will lead him to back to areas that will upset conservatives.

It’s possible he leans heavily into his new conservative love, gets involved in politics and pushes culture war agendas but it’s equally possible he does the exact opposite. He will go where his ego takes him.

That's an interesting point. I do think Musk a darling. But I can't think of any person less likely to pass a purity test there. He's all over the map. I know it's popular to bemoan purity tests on both sides, but Musk doesn't fit that narrative at all. 
Right....that's my point.  He's their darling until he isn't.  It should be rather obvious that those cheering him on right now, really aren't up to speed on his overall set of positions or are and just don't care because he checks the box on this particular soundbyte.  Tomorrow he'll say something they hate and he'll be the worst person in the world even though, position wise, he's the exact same person he was the day before when they were fawning all over him.  

Right....that's my point.  He's their darling until he isn't.  It should be rather obvious that those cheering him on right now, really aren't up to speed on his overall set of positions or are and just don't care because he checks the box on this particular soundbyte.  Tomorrow he'll say something they hate and he'll be the worst person in the world even though, position wise, he's the exact same person he was the day before when they were fawning all over him.  
Again, this really depends on what we mean by "conservative".  Elon Musk certainly isn't the darling of Mitt Romney or IvanK or Yankee23Fan here.  Is he the current darling of the MAGA set?  Sure, because their primary value is "owning the libs", and in this particular instance they believe Musk has done that.

You act as if Twitter isn't already a cesspool.  No where to go but up now with Elon.
Oh it’s a cesspool but I’m not sure how it can go up, only down.   

And for clarity I’m not a fan of censorship, but I just don’t see how the ideal of “free speech” and these SM platforms coexist without it becoming a race to the bottom.  Twitter looks like a G rated film in comparison to what Reddit and 4chan can become.   

LawFitz said:
Don't care about his prior or future political affiliation. Care very much about his stand for free speech and discourse. Good for Musk. If he pulls this off he will be a true hero. #### censorship.
Honestly, I’d rather he focus his energy and resources on continuing to make historic and groundbreaking technological advances. Diverting the attention of perhaps the world’s greatest innovator to get mired in Twitter seems like a huge waste to me. But I’m not a Twitter user, so what do I know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted mostly disagree. The Right is using “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” logic. The Patriots at TruthSocial have him buying Twitter, merging with TruthSocial and then him and Trump pairing up to dunk on the Libbys everywhere, with the speech they want. 

Musk isn’t red or blue. He’s green. All about the money. If he buys Twitter, he might try some new AI, or slight tweaks, but you don’t go backwards. The comparison to 4chan and Reddit is spot on.   

LawFitz said:
Don't care about his prior or future political affiliation. Care very much about his stand for free speech and discourse. Good for Musk. If he pulls this off he will be a true hero. #### censorship.
Can I change my vote after reading this?

Again, this really depends on what we mean by "conservative".  Elon Musk certainly isn't the darling of Mitt Romney or IvanK or Yankee23Fan here.  Is he the current darling of the MAGA set?  Sure, because their primary value is "owning the libs", and in this particular instance they believe Musk has done that.
Right....as I make my remarks, I think of conservative as it's been for the better part of 40ish years, not what it's become in the last 8-10.  

If it's a cesspool on your feed, that's your creation and twitter is giving you what you asked for.  If you want that to change, then change it.  Elon has nothing to do with that.

I don't do Social Media, but one doesn't have to have one in order to see the cesspool and/or the absurdity.

I don't do Social Media, but one doesn't have to have one in order to see the cesspool and/or the absurdity.
What evidentiary sources are you using to make this proclamation that it's a "cesspool"?  What are you observing that you "see" it for what it is?  Like I said, every single feed on that platform (and facebook as well) has the potential of being unique.  I can assure you, my experience on there would be significantly different in presentation than yours.  How do you determine which experience IS twitter?  HINT:  It isn't either/or.  It's a choice.  So, as I said before, if that's what you see twitter as, it's because you choose to use it that way.  If you don't use it as you claim, then those you are getting your information from most certainly are choosing to use it that way if that's their experience.  What's worse?  Honestly, I'm not sure what's worse.  The person choosing to use it that way (and then complaining about it) or the person who blindly follows the person choosing to use it that way having never really used it themselves?

What evidentiary sources are you using to make this proclamation that it's a "cesspool"?  What are you observing that you "see" it for what it is?  Like I said, every single feed on that platform (and facebook as well) has the potential of being unique.  I can assure you, my experience on there would be significantly different in presentation than yours.  How do you determine which experience IS twitter?  HINT:  It isn't either/or.  It's a choice.  So, as I said before, if that's what you see twitter as, it's because you choose to use it that way.  If you don't use it as you claim, then those you are getting your information from most certainly are choosing to use it that way if that's their experience.  What's worse?  Honestly, I'm not sure what's worse.  The person choosing to use it that way (and then complaining about it) or the person who blindly follows the person choosing to use it that way having never really used it themselves?

I don't think you understand - I'm seeing what I see in here and on media (articles, youtube, etc...).  I CANNOT unsee it - it's what is being delivered to me by the powers that be.  It's not something I'm actively searching on or looking for.

Surely you know this, right?   How many times have you just browsed to a website and it's the first thing that greets you?  Or even ads delivered on that site?  Look at your spam inbox as an example.

You aren't going to convince anyone that you are only seeing what you want to see.  Lots - if not most - of the time it's random.

I don't think you understand - I'm seeing what I see in here and on media (articles, youtube, etc...).  I CANNOT unsee it - it's what is being delivered to me by the powers that be.  It's not something I'm actively searching on or looking for.

Surely you know this, right?   How many times have you just browsed to a website and it's the first thing that greets you?  Or even ads delivered on that site?  Look at your spam inbox as an example.

You aren't going to convince anyone that you are only seeing what you want to see.  Lots - if not most - of the time it's random.
This sounds like right wing media curates twitter to generate your outrage, which you readily consume.

Nope...I get it.  You're "seeing" what twitter "is" third, fourth, fifth hand.  I get it.  This is the way a lot of people are.  All I'm saying is, that's likely not a very good way to formulate an opinion on what twitter "is".  That's all.  You can make it whatever you want it to be.  It's not something that's forced on you.  I can't remember the last time I logged a visit to twitter and I certainly don't consume our media outlets.  It's rather simple to avoid it honestly.  MT had a post in one of these threads about a thread on twitter that MANY people have said was well done and informative.  I haven't read it....I don't go to twitter.

This sounds like right wing media curates twitter to generate your outrage, which you readily consume.
Sounds like maybe you should go back and re-read what I posted, because if that is your impression then it sounds like Twitter is curating your outrage and dictating your every thought to bash those you disagree with.

Pro tip: You best stick to the Weenie Hut Junior forums down the street if all you're going to do is post to score virtue likes.

If it's a cesspool on your feed, that's your creation and twitter is giving you what you asked for.  If you want that to change, then change it.  Elon has nothing to do with that.
Disagree.  My twitter feed is great as I make sure it’s free of drama and politics.  I also followed not a person I know IRL.  But just because I keep my corner of the pond extremely clean it does not mean the pond itself isn’t contaminated.  It is, and it’s toxic.  

dkp993 said:
The Commish said:
Disagree.  My twitter feed is great as I make sure it’s free of drama and politics.  I also followed not a person I know IRL.  But just because I keep my corner of the pond extremely clean it does not mean the pond itself isn’t contaminated.  It is, and it’s toxic.  
Are we saying something different?  I don't think we are.  What part of my comments do you disagree with?  It's completely on each individual to keep their portions as they desire and if you do, the other parts don't matter at all.  And Elon and company aren't going to be in any hurry to do any sort of meaningful "cleanup" in the twitter pond.  Those areas are that way because that's what people want.  That's what keeps them coming back and them coming back is what is most important to the bottom line.

dkp993 said:

Twitter can be/is a cesspool because people suck. You give terrible people a megaphone and you get an awful place.

This is the basic problem with social media. Most people suck. So giving them a forum to say the awful things they like to say isn't really that great.

That doesn't mean people should be banned or censored necessarily. Just that its an inevitability of any social media.

Very interesting question from Joe here.

I don't think Musk is the darling of conservatives nor is he trying to be. He does appear to want to be the darling of (mostly younger) populists. His methods are somewhat comparable to Trump in how he uses Twitter towards that end. That explains to me why he appeals to some conservative populists.

Twitter can be/is a cesspool because people suck. You give terrible people a megaphone and you get an awful place.

This is the basic problem with social media. Most people suck. So giving them a forum to say the awful things they like to say isn't really that great.

That doesn't mean people should be banned or censored necessarily. Just that its an inevitability of any social media.
Agreed completely .  This is exactly my point from yesterday about the congruency of SM platforms and the idea of Free Speech.  Without some form of censorship it becomes the worst of us. I.e. 4chan or Reddit and the perfect line of censorship is impossible.  It’s a quagmire.  

Are we saying something different?  I don't think we are.  What part of my comments do you disagree with?  It's completely on each individual to keep their portions as they desire and if you do, the other parts don't matter at all.  And Elon and company aren't going to be in any hurry to do any sort of meaningful "cleanup" in the twitter pond.  Those areas are that way because that's what people want.  That's what keeps them coming back and them coming back is what is most important to the bottom line.
Yes we are I believe.  Just because someone (me in this example) can put on a hazmat suit, shoot myself full of antibiotics and hold machine guns in each hand keeping everyone away from me as I wade my way through doesn’t mean the environment isn’t a cesspool.  

The Commish said:

I would like to add Donald Trump to my Twitter feed.  How can I do that?  I'm new to Twitter.

Mister CIA said:
It would help if we had an common definition of "Conservative."  Sincerely don't know what the word means anymore when discussing politics.

Not sure what anything means anymore discussing politics.

Agreed completely .  This is exactly my point from yesterday about the congruency of SM platforms and the idea of Free Speech.  Without some form of censorship it becomes the worst of us. I.e. 4chan or Reddit and the perfect line of censorship is impossible.  It’s a quagmire.  
I agree Reddit is one of the worst. That said, people can just choose to not go there. I don't anymore. Censorship through moderation also costs money. There are thousands of moderators that work for some of these companies. You can't automate all of it and you can't rely on unpaid moderators once you reach scale. And that in turn raises their cost of doing business which means they have to capture more personal information about you to sell to marketers or they need paid access. That's one reason why Twitter forces you to signup and login now. I would rather have free platforms with free speech and very light moderation, even if it means some end up being Reddit.  

I agree Reddit is one of the worst. That said, people can just choose to not go there. I don't anymore. Censorship through moderation also costs money. There are thousands of moderators that work for some of these companies. You can't automate all of it and you can't rely on unpaid moderators once you reach scale. And that in turn raises their cost of doing business which means they have to capture more personal information about you to sell to marketers or they need paid access. That's one reason why Twitter forces you to signup and login now. I would rather have free platforms with free speech and very light moderation, even if it means some end up being Reddit.  
Right, and that’s the challenge.  You either don’t moderate and it turns in to the worst of humanity or you choose some form of moderation (regardless of how mild) it’s still a cesspool AND you piss people off who opt out.  

It’s honestly extremely disheartening as it shows the true nature of our species.  All it takes is the smallest amount of anonymity and we completely lose everything that makes us decent.  Then when we are “forced” to be even the tiniest bit reigned it we lash out.  It’s scary how thin this vail of civility really is.  

Right, and that’s the challenge.  You either don’t moderate and it turns in to the worst of humanity or you choose some form of moderation (regardless of how mild) it’s still a cesspool AND you piss people off who opt out.  

It’s honestly extremely disheartening as it shows the true nature of our species.  All it takes is the smallest amount of anonymity and we completely lose everything that makes us decent.  Then when we are “forced” to be even the tiniest bit reigned it we lash out.  It’s scary how thin this vail of civility really is.  
We'll look at this forum as a positive example. There is relative anonymity with some moderation, but it's not a toxic cesspool like Reddit. That's why I am still active here and not there.

We'll look at this forum as a positive example. There is relative anonymity with some moderation, but it's not a toxic cesspool like Reddit. That's why I am still active here and not there.
I completely disagree.  In the realm of the internet it’s heavily moderated.  No cussing, no pics, no yoga pants, no insults, suspensions and banning happen all the time, etc etc etc and there are countless posts about people leaving here because of it how it’s moderated. Now don’t get me wrong I love it here and while it’s more strict then my style there’s no question Joe’s heavy hand is what keeps this place civil.  I’m glad he does it even if I don’t agree with everything.  That’s the dilemma though.  

Yes we are I believe.  Just because someone (me in this example) can put on a hazmat suit, shoot myself full of antibiotics and hold machine guns in each hand keeping everyone away from me as I wade my way through doesn’t mean the environment isn’t a cesspool.  
Is there a social media outlet that isn't a cesspool in your opinion?

I completely disagree.  In the realm of the internet it’s heavily moderated.  No cussing, no pics, no yoga pants, no insults, suspensions and banning happen all the time, etc etc etc and there are countless posts about people leaving here because of it how it’s moderated. Now don’t get me wrong I love it here and while it’s more strict then my style there’s no question Joe’s heavy hand is what keeps this place civil.  I’m glad he does it even if I don’t agree with everything.  That’s the dilemma though.  
Some subreddits are heavily moderated, way more heavy handed than this forum. Unfortunately the decentralized moderation approach on Reddit is mostly terrible overall. And for some reason, that site attracts the most toxic people in the world, whereas on this forum it's still a small percentage. 

Is there a social media outlet that isn't a cesspool in your opinion?
Good question. I really only have a presence at 2 (well maybe 2.5 as I am still on FB but rarely check it) twitter and here anymore.  But if I were guessing I’d say yes, and I’d also guess they are moderated pretty heavily, thus running against the idea of “free speech”.  

I think there's two different moderation issues at play.  One is civility and the other is mis-information.  All of what you listed falls into the former.  I'm not sure if there is much done on this site to moderate mis-information (which I applaud).

When I think about why Twitter is a cesspool its because its full of #######s that aren't subject to the same moderation as here.  But that seems to be a different issue entirely than the crux of what people think about when talking about Elon Musk and Twitter...which is the idea that Elon won't suppress unpopular and/or questionable opinions or misinformation.

I think many people, lets say conservatives, would be ok with the same or even more civility moderation but not "information" moderation. 

BTW, Twitter is mostly a cesspool only if you allow it to be as many have said.  The only unfortunate thing is that when someone that I follow makes a comment I would like to read rational discourse from other posters but thats where the #######s often come in.

I think there's two different moderation issues at play.  One is civility and the other is mis-information.  All of what you listed falls into the former.  I'm not sure if there is much done on this site to moderate mis-information (which I applaud).

When I think about why Twitter is a cesspool its because its full of #######s that aren't subject to the same moderation as here.  But that seems to be a different issue entirely than the crux of what people think about when talking about Elon Musk and Twitter...which is the idea that Elon won't suppress unpopular and/or questionable opinions or misinformation.

I think many people, lets say conservatives, would be ok with the same or even more civility moderation but not "information" moderation. 

BTW, Twitter is mostly a cesspool only if you allow it to be as many have said.  The only unfortunate thing is that when someone that I follow makes a comment I would like to read rational discourse from other posters but thats where the #######s often come in.

Exactly. Thank you.

Good question. I really only have a presence at 2 (well maybe 2.5 as I am still on FB but rarely check it) twitter and here anymore.  But if I were guessing I’d say yes, and I’d also guess they are moderated pretty heavily, thus running against the idea of “free speech”.  
I'm not asking "gotcha" questions as I don't expect you to have full awareness of all social media.  I'm just asking, of the places you go to, are there any you wouldn't consider cesspools as you defined above.  For example, best I can tell, here would also be a cesspool if you applied your approach above.  I'm leaving the possibility open that I don't fully understand what makes twitter a cesspool in your mind, thus all the questions.

Users who are viewing this thread