What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orphan Black - New BBC Series (2 Viewers)

Season 3 definitely went further down the disappointing, convoluted, confusing path that began in Season 2, but I still believe. I'm assuming the multiple clone scenes are just too expensive to shoot often, but the show is simply at it's best when it's Sarah, Cosima, Helena, and Allison interacting. It's about their relationship and their interactions. I hope the new trashy chick is here to stay because she'll be a great addition.

We need just enough other stuff for the four of them to feel some kind of threat and have to work together to get out of it, but they try to go way to deep into the other ####. Any sprawl needs to be more Maslany clones.

They seemed to be getting back to that core a little towards the end of the season. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started in on this from the beginning. Very hooked. Just into season 2 now.

My only complaint is all the Orphan Black special segments as commercials that have some major spoilers in them. Sucks for someone trying to watch the series for the first time. Trying to fast forward through them, but heard one major spoiler about Dr Leeky when I wasn't near the remote when it came on. :(

All wrapped up with S3.

Agree things were a bit all over the place but found myself liking a lot of the characters.

Donnie really grew on me.

Overall a very fun show with good characters and some great acting.

All wrapped up with S3.

Agree things were a bit all over the place but found myself liking a lot of the characters.

Donnie really grew on me.

Overall a very fun show with good characters and some great acting.
Good call; Donnie's characterization was a major reason why Allison's storyline in S3 worked, and since it was the only comic relief in a very dark season otherwise, it was very key. Kristian Bruun really sold it and the writing was quite sharp.

I thought it was a great season.

Some random stuff...

So...what exactly was up with the doctor that Delphie killed?

What was in his mouth?

I REALLY liked Donnie.

Glad they didn't have him turn into Heinsenberg but rather kept him as a clumsy Walter White.

Jason Kellerman (Alison old drug dealin BFF) looks like a mix between Mathew Perry and Jesse Pinkman!

http://images.amcnetworks.com/bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/files/2015/05/OB-304-2.jpg

Anyone else see that?

So we are up to 12 clones?

(11 if you don't count the little girl Charolette)

This site actually ranks them, i had no idea we saw 11 clones depicted, i had only remembered like 8.

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/all-of-the-orphan-black-leda-clones-ranked/

I can't recall the opening scene of S1.

Did Beth see Sarah at the train station? Like recognize her?

No right?

It's been said over and over but Maslany does an amazing job.

Simply phenomenal.

I actually feel like I am watching a different actress with each clone

She also shares a birthday with me.

Puttin that one in my back pocket as an ice breaker, in case I ever meet her.

No right?
Because Beth and Sarah (and Sarah-as-Beth) are my favorite clones - for me, the show has never surpassed Sarah's efforts to assume Beth's identity, life, and career as a cop (!) - this question has fascinated me since the first five minutes of S1.

In the scene, Beth looks at Sarah, who is standing at what looks to be about 10-15 feet away at maximum, just before she jumps. It is clear that Beth has made up her mind to jump by then, since she has already removed her shoes and placed them and her handbag on the platform. She looks at Sarah, and the two make eye contact sufficient for Sarah to realize that Beth looks exactly like her, which is emphasized both in TM's acting as Sarah and in subsequent dialogue between Sarah and Felix. However, TM's take on what Beth sees and understands is far less clear. There is no change in Beth's expression as she looks at Sarah, which I always found curious, because if Beth recognized a face much like her own, she reasonably should have thought Sarah was Allison or Cosima, or (less likely) one of the other clones the three had been tracking, or (even less likely) yet another clone she had not yet met (which was in fact the case). Any of those thoughts, you'd think, would give Beth pause from jumping, if only to demand of the other person what she was doing there, or something. If she thought Sarah was Cosima or Allison you'd think she would have at least said, "Don't try to stop me," or something similar. But after looking right at Sarah, without changing expression, Beth simply looks back toward the train track (which is in front of her; Sarah is on her right) and jumps.

I think the showrunners may have intended for us to conclude that Beth did not recognize that she was looking at another clone, and that she could have looked at anyone or anything in that moment and not really understood what she was seeing, so focused was she on ending her own life no matter what. Since Sarah doesn't speak to Beth, though, there isn't really a good reason for Beth to look at her in the first place. Beth just notices her, stares, looks away, and jumps.

It's a fascinating question that I wish TPTB behind the show would answer, but it's hard to see how they'd do that within the show.

No right?
Because Beth and Sarah (and Sarah-as-Beth) are my favorite clones - for me, the show has never surpassed Sarah's efforts to assume Beth's identity, life, and career as a cop (!) - this question has fascinated me since the first five minutes of S1.

In the scene, Beth looks at Sarah, who is standing at what looks to be about 10-15 feet away at maximum, just before she jumps. It is clear that Beth has made up her mind to jump by then, since she has already removed her shoes and placed them and her handbag on the platform. She looks at Sarah, and the two make eye contact sufficient for Sarah to realize that Beth looks exactly like her, which is emphasized both in TM's acting as Sarah and in subsequent dialogue between Sarah and Felix. However, TM's take on what Beth sees and understands is far less clear. There is no change in Beth's expression as she looks at Sarah, which I always found curious, because if Beth recognized a face much like her own, she reasonably should have thought Sarah was Allison or Cosima, or (less likely) one of the other clones the three had been tracking, or (even less likely) yet another clone she had not yet met (which was in fact the case). Any of those thoughts, you'd think, would give Beth pause from jumping, if only to demand of the other person what she was doing there, or something. If she thought Sarah was Cosima or Allison you'd think she would have at least said, "Don't try to stop me," or something similar. But after looking right at Sarah, without changing expression, Beth simply looks back toward the train track (which is in front of her; Sarah is on her right) and jumps.

I think the showrunners may have intended for us to conclude that Beth did not recognize that she was looking at another clone, and that she could have looked at anyone or anything in that moment and not really understood what she was seeing, so focused was she on ending her own life no matter what. Since Sarah doesn't speak to Beth, though, there isn't really a good reason for Beth to look at her in the first place. Beth just notices her, stares, looks away, and jumps.

It's a fascinating question that I wish TPTB behind the show would answer, but it's hard to see how they'd do that within the show.
ahhhhh

Cool. Thanks

I'm gonna have to rewatch that scene.

Trying to decide if I'm going to watch another season. The wife is out. I might judge it by this threads reaction.

Trying to decide if I'm going to watch another season. The wife is out. I might judge it by this threads reaction.
I'm in if only for Tatiana....even though seasons 2 and 3 weren't as good as one, they had some moments...

Is anyone watching this in real time?  Cause I just watched S4E1 last night and want to discuss. Great episode going back to the Beth storyline. 

Watched the premiere last night, agree that I loved going back to Beth's backstory. I was surprised to hear people are bailing on this. Sure it gets confusing at times, but it's still one of our favorite shows
Yeah it's getting really good especially with the last episode of S3 flipping who is good/bad again. 

Great opener. Somehow got thru it baked and I still kinda followed it. Pretty sick when they cut the worm out of that guys cheek.

Solid premiere. I did miss seeing enough of Sarah/Cosima/Alison/Helena, but it's nice to see some Beth and her backstory.  It's so hard to give all the clones enough time. 

It feels like they are heading (back) in the right direction this season. It feels simpler. The characters we love dealing with an outside threat.

I won't pretend to remember all the factions, their objectives, and the entire mythology of the show. I don't particularly care, and over the course of 2-3 seasons, there obviously just way too many to deal with. I kind of view the mythology/bad guys on this show the way I do another show I love (Chuck). The number of bad guys and threats all start to get a little ridiculous, but it doesn't matter because they aren't the point. We don't come for the air tight plot. The characters we love have some problem they have to deal with and it's fun to watch them deal with it. 

I like Mika. It's nice to feel like we're getting closer to figuring out exactly what sent Beth to that train platform. We're getting a decent amount of Alison/Helena/Cosima, though it'll just never feel like it's enough (there aren't enough hours in the day for the crew).  I'm so excited to see mama bear Helena gut some ####### here in a few episodes.

BTW, has Sarah gotten even hotter somehow? Not necessarily Tatiana (though she's obviously hot), but it seems like Sarah specifically has somehow found a way to get even hotter. Not sure why/how. 

Just discovered this like a week ago and more than halfway through season two. GREAT series. Have third and fourth seasons on DVR via DirecTV BBC America On Demand.  

I never completely know what the hell is going on, but it was a pretty good season and finale.

Krystal and Sarah together were pretty awesome. 

We didn't get enough Helena this season, but damned if we didn't get another amazing Helena kill. Nothing will ever beat the "shower/Sarah-Helena reunion" kill, but that was pretty close. I name all my knives, and the 10" chef's knife that I only use to butcher meats is named Helena, of course.

I think it's set-up well for a great final season. In a lot of ways, this show resembles LOST, so it's kind of fitting that they've all ended up on a (possibly magical) island to finish it off. Like LOST, this has a been always been a fantastically entertaining show that often tried to do too much and got swallowed up in it's own mythology. 

I just powered through all 4 seasons in the last month. I haven't read through this thread but I love the show. Obviously the lead broad is absolutely amazing but the show has captivated me. 

Im going to be jonesing until S5 comes out...how does BBC release it? It is going to be one show a week or will it get dropped like Netflicks & Amazon where the whole season will be available at once?

I just powered through all 4 seasons in the last month. I haven't read through this thread but I love the show. Obviously the lead broad is absolutely amazing but the show has captivated me. 

Im going to be jonesing until S5 comes out...how does BBC release it? It is going to be one show a week or will it get dropped like Netflicks & Amazon where the whole season will be available at once?
BBC America, one episode a week, IIRC.

Just watched S1E1 with the added commentary. Forgot how good Tatiana looked  in some of those scenes. Very impressed with her acting too :) . Hard for me to believe she's only won one emmy.

Looking forward to the new season.

Just watched S1E1 with the added commentary. Forgot how good Tatiana looked  in some of those scenes. Very impressed with her acting too :) . Hard for me to believe she's only won one emmy.

Looking forward to the new season.
The final season has been great so far IMO. Very excited for the final few episodes.

Tatiana is an amazing actress, I honestly forget at times she is playing all the clones. They have had her being Sarah playing other clones and she does it in a way that you notice it is Sarah imitating the other clone, subtle but there. She didn't get nominated for an Emmy this year because the season started too late which probably also means she gets overlooked next year because the season will be so old.  

I just got done the finale, felt like two min-episodes. I really liked it, always really difficult to end a show but I thought they did a really good job.

I will say it for a final time, Maslany is an amazing actress. Best on television IMO.

End of an era!  I loved this little show.  If Sarah dies I will be manifestly unhappy. 
It was such a great show and finale. It wasn't a perfect show, by any means, and the finale epitomized why that is. At it's heart, it was such a satisfying shows when the sestras were together, as they did early on, about once a season, and in the finale. But that was too slow to produce and expensive to do very often, so the show go too wrapped up in it's confusing mythology and lost sight of what made it great. But those moment when the sestras were together were always top notch TV. 

I loved it and I'll miss it a great deal. And holy ####, will I miss Helena.

Helena was the best. One thing they screwed up though was young Helena. They should've used the same actress as young Rachel aka Charlotte (The one who was in the camp with cossima). They are clones after all. 

Gonna miss the show obviously due to Tatiana. Not sure what she'll do now. 

Helena was the best. One thing they screwed up though was young Helena. They should've used the same actress as young Rachel aka Charlotte (The one who was in the camp with cossima). They are clones after all. 

Gonna miss the show obviously due to Tatiana. Not sure what she'll do now. 
Agreed, that was stupid.  They claimed they needed someone who could throw a convincing hissy fit and then there was the Ukrainian dialogue, but the Charlotte gal could have handled it.  Preteen Helena also looked zero like Tatiana in any guise.

Tatiana should get many many offers.  I still can't get over how good her Thames Estuary accent for Sarah was, let alone everything else she did.  Krystal?  Helena?  Fantastic.  

Agreed, that was stupid.  They claimed they needed someone who could throw a convincing hissy fit and then there was the Ukrainian dialogue, but the Charlotte gal could have handled it.  Preteen Helena also looked zero like Tatiana in any guise.

Tatiana should get many many offers.  I still can't get over how good her Thames Estuary accent for Sarah was, let alone everything else she did.  Krystal?  Helena?  Fantastic.  
Her best work was when she played Sarah playing another clone in disguise. Amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread