What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Is there a name for this fad diet?
Good that lifting is a big part of your strategy.  Eating a little better is always good..  Maybe take one day a week where you really go lean.  And try adding a cardio aspect to your work-outs.  I've suggested this before but add some hiking.  I did two trail hikes this week (4 and 6 miles).  Scenery is beautiful; terrain is challenging; and it adds variety (less boredom) to what you do.

Week 5 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 178.0
Current Weight: 175.0
Last Week: 177.0
Week Lost: 2.0 lbs
Total Lost: 3.0 lbs
Total % Lost: 1.7%

Overall Starting Weight: 198.5
Current Weight: 175.0
Total Lost: 23.5 lbs
Total % Lost: 11.8%

@AAABatteries

Nice 2 lb loss this week, but that's just getting me back to where I was two weeks ago.  Better than nothing, but I have to tighten up my diet to get things moving again.

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs

Total weight loss:  35.4 lbs
@AAABatteries

Great week. Did 56 miles on the bike Saturday. And the most intense weight lifting session of my life. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a ##### when it comes to weight lifting. :bag:   Going to see if the fitness center at work has trainers I can work with to expand my routine.

@AAABatteries

it is still the suck living out of the basement while kitchen and bath are remodeled.  Fun times with "communication" between wife and contractor going oooohhh so well.  Haven't been brave enough to try even a full day of water fasting but have done a couple days of fasting until just lunch.  Not sure if any benefit.  Those days I have felt better.  Probabaly because other days once I start eating I just can't stop.

How many calories are in David's sunflower seeds?  Good or bad snacks?  Better than chips but not nearly as good as carrots?

Current weight  218        

Last week 220.2

Going in the right direction overall.  Between baseball and football seasons for my boys so hopefully I can still be active.
@AAABatteries

Back in the right direction.  Been just trying to keep portion size down and not have seconds.  Had a little too much on satuday and a family get together.  The food is just soooooo Good.  Also keeping the pop/soda to a minimum.  should figure out how to eliminate it but slow and steady.

Nugget said:
17 hours into my first 36 hour fast. I'm guessing the next 12 hours are going to be tougher.
I am about 14 hours into a 42 hour solid food fast due to a medical procedure.  I do not know how any of you guys live on water for 36 hours.  I can eat jello and drink Gatorade but am already irritated at this whole process.  

Good luck Nugget.   

I am about 14 hours into a 42 hour solid food fast due to a medical procedure.  I do not know how any of you guys live on water for 36 hours.  I can eat jello and drink Gatorade but am already irritated at this whole process.  

Good luck Nugget.   
Thanks - 24 hours in, 12 to go.  I am aware of the fast but I'm not overly hungry.  It feels more like a sensation than really being hungry.  I haven't had much physical activity today, but that was on purpose.  Overall I feel good.  Plan is to go to bed around 10:00 tonight, and break the fast with some coffee and cream at the airport tomorrow morning around 5:30am.  I'll eat a light breakfast in Phoenix after I land.

@AAABatteries

Week 5

starting weight: 235

last week: 226.4

today: 222

week loss: -4.4

Back on track! I've been honing in my diet. I fast either 48-72 hrs, then eat a decent sized meal within an hour. I love granola, so I found some with good macros and lotsa dried fruit and eat a big bowl with almond milk. Then I usually have some scrambled eggs and protein, and some fresh veggies. Either that, or just load up on fresh fruit, because, summer in California.

i look noticeably different. I'm starting to get comments from people at work (mostly women) and I'm noticing I'm getting "the look" now. Somebody stop me before I go out and buy a corvette and grow a ponytail. Midlife crisis- activate!

@AAABatteries

Week 5

starting weight: 235

last week: 226.4

today: 222

week loss: -4.4

Back on track! I've been honing in my diet. I fast either 48-72 hrs, then eat a decent sized meal within an hour. I love granola, so I found some with good macros and lotsa dried fruit and eat a big bowl with almond milk. Then I usually have some scrambled eggs and protein, and some fresh veggies. Either that, or just load up on fresh fruit, because, summer in California.

i look noticeably different. I'm starting to get comments from people at work (mostly women) and I'm noticing I'm getting "the look" now. Somebody stop me before I go out and buy a corvette and grow a ponytail. Midlife crisis- activate!
:lmao:

That is good stuff....red convertible please. 

Thanks - 24 hours in, 12 to go.  I am aware of the fast but I'm not overly hungry.  It feels more like a sensation than really being hungry.  I haven't had much physical activity today, but that was on purpose.  Overall I feel good.  Plan is to go to bed around 10:00 tonight, and break the fast with some coffee and cream at the airport tomorrow morning around 5:30am.  I'll eat a light breakfast in Phoenix after I land.
Nicely done.   Sounds like you didn't struggle at all.   

I lost some workouts last week due to a sore back so I hit the weights today.  I was afraid that working out might make me hungry but that wasn't the case.  I never even ate any jello but did drink lots of Gatorade.  

The fast was the easy part of the day.   I am prepping for a colonoscopy and am in the beginning of toilet hell.  I hate this.   I think there is a thread on this whole nightmare.   

Nicely done.   Sounds like you didn't struggle at all.   

I lost some workouts last week due to a sore back so I hit the weights today.  I was afraid that working out might make me hungry but that wasn't the case.  I never even ate any jello but did drink lots of Gatorade.  

The fast was the easy part of the day.   I am prepping for a colonoscopy and am in the beginning of toilet hell.  I hate this.   I think there is a thread on this whole nightmare.   
Best of luck.  I thought the airport was going to suck and then 105 degree heat, but I don't want to trade.  

I've found myself recently getting bored with Keto - I still enjoy what I'm eating the majority of the time but after 7+ months I'm just kind of over it.  

Anybody have any suggestions for maintenance?  I still want to lose 10 more pounds of fat and add muscle.  

I've found myself recently getting bored with Keto - I still enjoy what I'm eating the majority of the time but after 7+ months I'm just kind of over it.  

Anybody have any suggestions for maintenance?  I still want to lose 10 more pounds of fat and add muscle.  
I'm only a few months in and loving it.  This is not what I want to hear.

totally get this.   Maintenance for me was easy - jsut count my calories   :shrug:

I'm not doing it any more either. I just eat less and that works out pretty well.

Speaking of pop, I ordered a case of Zevia from Amazon.  I am hoping this can be a replacement for an occasional can of Diet Dew.  I would like to kick the artificial sweeteners in diet pop, and Zevia is zero calorie naturally sweetened (some of the flavors have zero carbs per can, others 3).  I've only tried the grape so far, and I would put it on par with Coke Zero, which I like better than Diet Coke, but obviously a lot less than regular Coke.  I find it sweeter than regular diet pop, but has that slightly differently sweet flavor.  I can get used to it and it will be a significant upgrade over diet pop for my Rum and (insert pop here).
OK, so my more full review of the Zevia pop I got from Amazon.  I've tried all the flavors, and they are all at least OK, some are pretty good.  The Root Beer and cream soda are my two favorites.  The cola tastes pretty much like Coke Zero.  The grape and orange are OK.  Most of them (other than the root beer and cream soda, which are more subtle) have a definite "stevia" taste (my wife can't stand it, I definitely notice it but it doesn't bother me).  The "Mountain Zevia" tastes the least like what it is imitating.  It tastes nothing like Mountain Dew, or even Dt Mt Dew.  It taste more like Fresca, but it was great mixed with some rum.

Bottom line, I will be ordering again.  It definitely hits the spot if you are craving pop, but don't want the sugar, and don't want the artificial sweeteners of diet pop.  The price point (about a dollar a can) slows the intake so I'm definitely not drinking three+ cans a day.  I limit it to one a day max, unless I'm mixing alcohol in it.

@AAABatteries

I basically dropped what I had gained the week before, so basically a 2 week stop gap with no change. This week will be interesting as not only did I visit the parents over the weekend which meant a pizza fueled evening one night (well worth it), but the kids practice schedules start to pick back up this week, so I may not be able to hit the gym after work as often. So now I either have to get myself back into the habit I had about 5-6 years ago of being up by 4am, gym at 4:30 and in to work by 6:30, or risk having the routine be a little less regular. Going to get through this week while fine tuning the kids final practice schedules to see what will work, as I really enjoy the afternoon gym sessions and the basketbal lgames I am getting back into. Hoping some sort of hybrid approach will work where I can still get in 2-3 afternoons/week.

Phase 3 Week 5

Week 5 Starting Weight: 265.3
Current Weight: 259.7
Week Lost: -5.6

Phase 3 Starting Weight: 267.6 (from July 2 weigh in)
Phase 3 Lost: -7.9
Phase 3 % Lost: -3.0%

Overall Starting Weight (from April 16): 300.1
Total Lost: 40.4
Total % Lost: 13.5%

I am giving back the fast lbs today. Lots of food and desserts - everything is "walking" and heavy apps. 

Bull Dozier said:
I'm only a few months in and loving it.  This is not what I want to hear.
It's just boredom - I enjoy all kinds of food but I HATE cooking so I depend on the wife to cook and she's not doing strict KETO.  It's not difficult to do it and the food is still good.  

And tangent - lifted for the first time in a few weeks because of being sick for 6 weeks - my legs are sore as hell.  

Skipped the gym last week while I relied on moving lots of furniture for fitness thrills.

First night back on the Step Mill: http://i.imgur.com/xqYqqsj.jpg

My inner-Jethro ciphered incorrectly that I was on a 32:50 pace. Re-ciphered late and determined I needed to maintain level 15/20 for the final 30 seconds to break the 33 barrier. Ended up at 33 flat, "but alas", Jethro struggled with operating smartphone camera with pulse at 165 - as reflected in the pic.

ETA: But Alas is my Boy George tribute band name. 

Last week's last set of six deadlifts was 240. This week's was 300. Last week I drove to the gym. This week I rode my bike to the gym. Spent an hour in the gym and two hours on my bike before work this morning. 

Carbs are neat. The scale can go fornicate itself.
How much of a difference do you think the carbs make?  Are you aiming towards certain carbs?

Week 5 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 279.4
Current Weight: 280.4
Last Weigh in: 279.8
Week Lost: gained 0.6 lbs
Total Lost: 1 lb gained

Definitely hit a plateau.  Been bouncing between 278-281 for a while now, but I haven't really been trying that hard.  Guess I should try and refocus my energies.

@AAABatteries 

proninja said:
Last week's last set of six deadlifts was 240. This week's was 300. Last week I drove to the gym. This week I rode my bike to the gym. Spent an hour in the gym and two hours on my bike before work this morning. 

Carbs are neat. The scale can go fornicate itself.
Tough to ride or do quality athletic work on no fuel.  Agree; If you're that active just eat well and with common sense.

Week 5 Weigh-In

Definitely hit a plateau.  Been bouncing between 278-281 for a while now, but I haven't really been trying that hard.  Guess I should try and refocus my energies.

@AAABatteries 
Go for water fast. Or potatoes. Or low carb. Or just eating less. Or...

I don't ####### know. 

I continue to gain weight. My BIL asked me the other day if I've been juicing. Said I look huge. Wife has several times mentioned the size of my arms, and says she's never seen me this big. I guess F it, maybe I'm just better off trying to become a big jacked dude.  Then the gut won't matter so much. 

But srsly at some point, probably after vacation this week, I'm gonna stop eating garbage and look to lose some more fat. 

Still loving and sticking to PHUL though. Something like 4 months in. And feeling great. Fun to imagine where I'll be in another 6 months. Major goal is 100lb dumbells on flat bench. At 85 now and getting close to stepping up to 90, so it's not all that far off. 

:I lift:

I continue to gain weight. My BIL asked me the other day if I've been juicing. Said I look huge. Wife has several times mentioned the size of my arms, and says she's never seen me this big. I guess F it, maybe I'm just better off trying to become a big jacked dude.  Then the gut won't matter so much. 

But srsly at some point, probably after vacation this week, I'm gonna stop eating garbage and look to lose some more fat. 

Still loving and sticking to PHUL though. Something like 4 months in. And feeling great. Fun to imagine where I'll be in another 6 months. Major goal is 100lb dumbells on flat bench. At 85 now and getting close to stepping up to 90, so it's not all that far off. 

:I lift:
I'll be in NY again soon. Coffee and arm wrestle? Maybe we can take bets.

Week 5 Weigh-In

@AAABatteries 
Have you started doing IF? Like no eating after 6pm?

Have you started doing IF? Like no eating after 6pm?
No.  The IF scares me a little being a diabetic.  Don't want my blood sugar to get to low by not eating.  

I'm just chalking it up to summer disrupting the routine I had developed while my son was away at school.  He goes back on the 23rd so I will try and re-establish a better routine for myself when it's just me at home.

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs

Total weight loss:  40.0 lbs
The good... have managed to lose 40 pounds now. Getting compliments and comments from people, especially those that haven't seen me since before I turned it around. Also increased my longest daily bike total from 56 miles up to 68.5 miles.

The bad... rode through having tight calves. A lot of stretching and a heat pad fixed them, but they caused shin splints in one leg. Read up on treatment, and trying to tough it out and keep going leads to stress fractures. :( So now I'm completely sidelined from the bike until the shin splints go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread