What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

60 minutes walking 3mph -370

15 minutes running 6mph -280
Sounds like a great day.

Are these from mfp?  I'm trying to figure out how to calculate my calories burned via exercise, just to make sure I'm not in an unhealthy zone on my workout days as you had mentioned.  But I'm either hiking moderate or steep trails, or if I do the incline trainer I keep it at at least a 20% uphill grade.  I'm wondering if mfp would help me calculate given the grades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife's birthday.  We went out to dinner, the Hacienda Colorado.  No chips, steak tacos and a water.  No desert.  Comes after a day of working in the yard and replacing two faucets in the master bath.  Hopefully I can get off the plateau I am on.  I did take up my morning bike and incline walk routine by 10 minutes to 50 minutes.  We will see where we are with tomorrow's official weigh in. 

Sounds like a great day.

Are these from mfp?  I'm trying to figure out how to calculate my calories burned via exercise, just to make sure I'm not in an unhealthy zone on my workout days as you had mentioned.  But I'm either hiking moderate or steep trails, or if I do the incline trainer I keep it at at least a 20% uphill grade.  I'm wondering if mfp would help me calculate given the grades.
Yes.  I don't know how accurate it is but i have been following it pretty closely and i lose about what the app projects so I'm going to stick with it.

I set the app to the least activity and then log all of my deliberate exercise.  I didn't log the time i spent playing with my kid or doing chores, but i log every minute I'm on a treadmill. 

If you say you're "moderately active" it basically just gives you an extra 500 or 600 calories, and that seems kind of unscientific to me.  Like if you're "moderatwly active" and go for a hike for a couple hours is that just "moderate activity" or is it exercise?  

I go by simple rules.  If i hit my step goal (i use an app on my phone not a fitbit) then i can log anything extra.  If i don't, it's regular activity. And i try to lowball a little. If i bring the family to the amusement park for 6 hours i might write down an hour of walking, because I definitely did extra but I wasn't power walking the whole time.  

Yes.  I don't know how accurate it is but i have been following it pretty closely and i lose about what the app projects so I'm going to stick with it.

I set the app to the least activity and then log all of my deliberate exercise.  I didn't log the time i spent playing with my kid or doing chores, but i log every minute I'm on a treadmill. 

If you say you're "moderately active" it basically just gives you an extra 500 or 600 calories, and that seems kind of unscientific to me.  Like if you're "moderatwly active" and go for a hike for a couple hours is that just "moderate activity" or is it exercise?  

I go by simple rules.  If i hit my step goal (i use an app on my phone not a fitbit) then i can log anything extra.  If i don't, it's regular activity. And i try to lowball a little. If i bring the family to the amusement park for 6 hours i might write down an hour of walking, because I definitely did extra but I wasn't power walking the whole time.  
Makes sense.  In the meantime before your post I found this calculator for just flat-ground walking at various speeds from 3-5 mph, and the same site claims here that your calories burned increase by 12% with each 1% of grade.  I don't know how accurate any of it is, but it can give a ballpark figure.  My incline trainer gives a calorie burn #, but it's set to Mr. krista's vitals so doesn't help me.

This all reminds me:  my employer sent me some sort of FitBit as part of a sixth anniversary gift last week.  I might find that offensive if I didn't work remotely. ;)   But I should pull it out and figure out how to work it.

Morning lift was rough.  My body was just ... tired.  Don't know if it's the run yesterday, or just the lack of calories yesterday, but I couldn't lift my usual weights.  Still fine, and I powered through, but it's interesting to me how much eating the day before directly influences my workout.

Need to figure out how to keep up the running.  C25K involves just three days a week (which is surprising to me, but whatever, trusting the program).  I assume I should have at least one rest day between each.  I lift in the mornings on M-T-Th-F, and don't want to mess with that.  Thinking I'll need to do an evening or two; continue to do one weekend morning (as I did yesterday).  Also , Tuesday and Friday are leg days, so I don't think a run later those days would make much sense.  I could do Wednesday morning (would kill my one "sleep in" day, but so be it--I'll sleep when I'm dead?).

Maybe I'll do tonight (Monday evening), Wednesday morning, and Saturday morning?  My Tuesday morning leg day at the gym won't be all that epic with a run the night before, but just not sure how else to squeeze this all in and space it appropriately. 

Also not sure what to do with the 44 hour fasting at the beginning of the week when I'm both lifting and running, but maybe I'll give it a whirl and see how I feel, or else if I'm not feeling right, I'll just power up with some healthy food.

Well 268.8 this morning.  Maybe I am moving off of that plateau.  I hope so.  A bit of encouragement is a good thing.  The halcyon days of 11 pounds a week, 7 pounds a week and even 5 or 2 are apparently gone, but if I could get back to 1 pound a week that would be good.
Just keep working through it. I had plateaued a bit, but the last week has been very positive.

I'm a day early with my thread weigh-in, but I was 236.7 this morning. Need to make 233.1 in ten days for 60 pounds in three months. @Zow I'm coming for ya
Other folks notice and I notice when I play with my kids. Lot more energy, move better and the like. I don't have a great before pic, but am getting close to trying to find something to see a side-by-side comparison.

Oh, people are noticing.
That was one of the most motivating parts for me during the times I was actively losing.  People I hadn't seen in a while telling me how good I looked with the weight loss. 

That was until I lost so much that it flipped on me.  Then I got questions and concerns for my health.  Family members scolding me to not lose any more.  I want to say "where the hell were you people when I was eating myself to death?"  Nobody seemed to have anything to say when I was a complete fatass.

That was one of the most motivating parts for me during the times I was actively losing.  People I hadn't seen in a while telling me how good I looked with the weight loss. 

That was until I lost so much that it flipped on me.  Then I got questions and concerns for my health.  Family members scolding me to not lose any more.  I want to say "where the hell were you people when I was eating myself to death?"  Nobody seemed to have anything to say when I was a complete fatass.
Like they could not imagine it was an act of will and discipline and instead maybe you have cancer.

I've always known if I was going to lose any more or more accurately firm up my midsection it was going to be a challenge - this is a slow process.  I'm both patient and impatient at the same time.

Like they could not imagine it was an act of will and discipline and instead maybe you have cancer.
Yep, and I know that was it and I appreciate their concern.  I guess I just find it ironic that obese people almost assuredly have something wrong with them and people don't say much (except behind a person's back).  I've said a few times in here that one eye opening thing to me is we as a society just accept being overweight - yes, we talk about obese people but I'd venture a guess that 80% of the population is overweight.  Our views of what a normal body should look like have been warped.

Well 268.8 this morning.  Maybe I am moving off of that plateau.  I hope so.  A bit of encouragement is a good thing.  The halcyon days of 11 pounds a week, 7 pounds a week and even 5 or 2 are apparently gone, but if I could get back to 1 pound a week that would be good.
Getting under 270 is a huge milestone.  Good for you. 

Getting under 270 is a huge milestone.  Good for you. 
Thanks.  Just good to be moving again after three weeks of stagnation on a plateau.  Maybe that is necessary.  Hell, maybe even good as far as my body adjusting.  Still, reward for effort is important to keep at something, so I am pleased, if not overly confident it is not just a fluke of hydration levels.  we will see.

This happens to many of us.  I've fluctuated crazily in my life (was up to ~235-240 in college at my peak) but my "normal" weight was always 190.  Hit 210 when I was killing myself at work plus doing grad school at the same time...with 2 little ones at home.  I'm now sitting below 175.  I dropped 20 lbs because I wanted to take up running and I have a pretty F'ed up right knee from a HS basketball injury.  I knew it couldn't support the pounding of running on pavement, so the weight needed to come off to do any sort of distance.

I have gotten the "you're too skinny" recently and in the past.  I just ignore that now.  I know that BMI is not a great indicator, but I wanted to get to right in the middle of the "normal weight" range for my height (6'2-6'3)...so I did.  And if anyone says anything at this point, I just say I'm squarely at the midpoint of where I should be. 

I really think that a lot of people start to "worry" b/c now they may need to look in the mirror about their own habits.

Thanks.  Just good to be moving again after three weeks of stagnation on a plateau.  Maybe that is necessary.  Hell, maybe even good as far as my body adjusting.  Still, reward for effort is important to keep at something, so I am pleased, if not overly confident it is not just a fluke of hydration levels.  we will see.
Keep at it DW.  Amazing progress.  Have you considered trying keto?  It’s a miracle maker for a lot of folks. 

I won a biggest loser bet today. 500 beans.

We structured it as 500 for getting to our goal weight, 500 more for being the first to lose it, and 500 more for keeping it off for two months. If we're both successful then it's just 500 to me for getting there first.  

We've been doing weekly weigh ins for months now and it's been really motivating for both of us. My friend is about 4 pounds away so he's almost definitely going to get there, and we both need to survive the holidays. I pushed a little extra to get done in October so my two months would be over before Christmas.  He's got about two weeks to get there himself.

He did keto for most of it, i just monitored calories on myfitnesspal and gradually increased my exercise.  I don't think he believed that i could keep up with keto while just watching calories.  But it's all the same thing - setting a goal, having a plan to get there and sticking to it.  I ended up cutting some carbs - i didn't have sugar in my coffee, and i didn't have as much pizza - but it was just incidental while i was tracking calories. 

The main thing is making better choices.  To "celebrate" today i had a nearly 1000 calorie breakfast at Dunkin - a maple bacon sandwich on a croissant, hash browns and an extra large hazlenut coffee with milk and sugar.

It used to be nothing to eat like this.  I actually feel gross now. I think I just got used to feeling gross and thinking that meant "full". 

Its not even like i haven't had breakfast at dunkin donuts. I've still gone there the whole time, but I've gotten a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for 400 calories or English muffin for 300 and a large coffee with milk for 50. An egg mcmuffin is 300 calories.  The maple bacon sandwich on a croissant is over 600. 

I enjoyed having sugar in my coffee, which was 220 calories.  I'll probably still do that once in a while as a splurge, but i don't want to get too used to it. 

Honestly the sandwich wasn't even better.  It definitely wasn't double the calories different. And the hash browns were just gross.  There's really no excuse for eating a 1000 calorie breakfast on a regular basis but it's so easy to pick the "bad" food choices.  

The flip side of that though is that it's also really easy to pick a lower calorie meal.  I liked my 400 calorie breakfasts as much as that 1000 calorie gut buster. I liked my 400 calorie bowl of chicken tortilla soup for lunch.  I wasn't depriving myself at all.  And i could have a huge 700 calorie buffalo chicken wrap for dinner, do literally no exercise, and come in at 1500 calories on the day while enjoying every meal. It's absurd to me now that I used to make so many bad decisions so consistently. 

Keep at it DW.  Amazing progress.  Have you considered trying keto?  It’s a miracle maker for a lot of folks. 
I have not.  I have cut out all grains, I do, however, need my fruits.  When one is down to meat, fish, vegies and fruit with very minimal dairy,  and no processed foods whatsoever, losing the fruits would be tough.  Also, I am looking at this not so much as a diet as a lifetime eating plan.  I am willing to accept slower results to hopefully get more permanent results.  I suspect those who rely on ketosis to confuse their metabolisms might actually accomplish that, which may cause fluctuations after coming off, unless they can return to it on a regular and ongoing basis.  I'm fine just chugging along, as long as I am progressing, even slowly, in the right direction.

I suppose keto would allow me to switch fruits for nuts, and I do love some good salty nuts.  (I can see that last phrase coming back to haunt me if we ever restore signatures.)

Congrats DW, fred, Otis, and anyone else with good news!

As expected, things are not quite so sunny in the 4 household this morning.  It would have been nice if someone had told me that four days of heavy drinking and not-completely-fab eating would be a problem.  How was I to know?

Week One:  -6.0 lbs

Week Two:  -3.0 lbs

Week Three:  -2.2 lbs

Week Four:  -3.0 lbs

Week Five:  +1.0 lb

Total:  -13.2 lbs

Mr. krista also put on 1.2 lbs last week.

Back at it!

As expected, things are not quite so sunny in the 4 household this morning.  It would have been nice if someone had told me that four days of heavy drinking and not-completely-fab eating would be a problem.  How was I to know?

Back at it!
Four giant steps forward with one baby step back is not a bad way to journey. 

Back at it!
Two steps forward and one step back will get you there eventually too. No shame in it. 

I’m thinking I need to eat today. I guess the combined running and lifting is making me ravenously hungry. And I’m just not sure it makes sense. 

Maybe I’ll just do like a 24-30 hour fast instead of the full 44-48. 

Hm. 

I won a biggest loser bet today. 500 beans.

We structured it as 500 for getting to our goal weight, 500 more for being the first to lose it, and 500 more for keeping it off for two months. If we're both successful then it's just 500 to me for getting there first.  

We've been doing weekly weigh ins for months now and it's been really motivating for both of us. My friend is about 4 pounds away so he's almost definitely going to get there, and we both need to survive the holidays. I pushed a little extra to get done in October so my two months would be over before Christmas.  He's got about two weeks to get there himself.

He did keto for most of it, i just monitored calories on myfitnesspal and gradually increased my exercise.  I don't think he believed that i could keep up with keto while just watching calories.  But it's all the same thing - setting a goal, having a plan to get there and sticking to it.  I ended up cutting some carbs - i didn't have sugar in my coffee, and i didn't have as much pizza - but it was just incidental while i was tracking calories. 

The main thing is making better choices.  To "celebrate" today i had a nearly 1000 calorie breakfast at Dunkin - a maple bacon sandwich on a croissant, hash browns and an extra large hazlenut coffee with milk and sugar.

It used to be nothing to eat like this.  I actually feel gross now. I think I just got used to feeling gross and thinking that meant "full". 

Its not even like i haven't had breakfast at dunkin donuts. I've still gone there the whole time, but I've gotten a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for 400 calories or English muffin for 300 and a large coffee with milk for 50. An egg mcmuffin is 300 calories.  The maple bacon sandwich on a croissant is over 600. 

I enjoyed having sugar in my coffee, which was 220 calories.  I'll probably still do that once in a while as a splurge, but i don't want to get too used to it. 

Honestly the sandwich wasn't even better.  It definitely wasn't double the calories different. And the hash browns were just gross.  There's really no excuse for eating a 1000 calorie breakfast on a regular basis but it's so easy to pick the "bad" food choices.  

The flip side of that though is that it's also really easy to pick a lower calorie meal.  I liked my 400 calorie breakfasts as much as that 1000 calorie gut buster. I liked my 400 calorie bowl of chicken tortilla soup for lunch.  I wasn't depriving myself at all.  And i could have a huge 700 calorie buffalo chicken wrap for dinner, do literally no exercise, and come in at 1500 calories on the day while enjoying every meal. It's absurd to me now that I used to make so many bad decisions so consistently. 
Congrats on reaching your milestone. Very impressive 

Otis said:
Morning lift was rough.  My body was just ... tired.  Don't know if it's the run yesterday, or just the lack of calories yesterday, but I couldn't lift my usual weights.  Still fine, and I powered through, but it's interesting to me how much eating the day before directly influences my workout.

Need to figure out how to keep up the running.  C25K involves just three days a week (which is surprising to me, but whatever, trusting the program).  I assume I should have at least one rest day between each.  I lift in the mornings on M-T-Th-F, and don't want to mess with that.  Thinking I'll need to do an evening or two; continue to do one weekend morning (as I did yesterday).  Also , Tuesday and Friday are leg days, so I don't think a run later those days would make much sense.  I could do Wednesday morning (would kill my one "sleep in" day, but so be it--I'll sleep when I'm dead?).

Maybe I'll do tonight (Monday evening), Wednesday morning, and Saturday morning?  My Tuesday morning leg day at the gym won't be all that epic with a run the night before, but just not sure how else to squeeze this all in and space it appropriately. 

Also not sure what to do with the 44 hour fasting at the beginning of the week when I'm both lifting and running, but maybe I'll give it a whirl and see how I feel, or else if I'm not feeling right, I'll just power up with some healthy food.
If you're not sufficiently fueled it will impact the quality of your workout. 

Operation Six Pack
3 weeks in.  Very happy with what I've done but it needs to be go time if I want to get close to my stated goals/averages.  To make up for where I've missed out I'm going to try and reset my daily averages.  Ironically enough, the area I'm closest in is the one BnB thought would be the hardest - steps.  I'm going to take a day this weekend and just walk a ton after going on a long slow run to see if I can get that average up.  Also, will take the other day this weekend and pump out as many squats and abs as I can.  Probably Saturday for that so I can use Sunday to just do the normal sets and rest.  I'm so far behind on pushups I'm not sure it's possible to catch-up but I'll try my best.

Diet-wise, I've been really clean since I got back from hiking.  I've already dropped some weight - was 156.8 this morning.  I've had to stop telling the wife when I lose as she thinks I've lost too much - I guess there's worst things.

Week 2

• Steps - 84,214 (14,036 per day)
  • Pushups - 875 (146 per day)
  • Squats - 1,010 (168 per day)
  • Abs - 960 (160 per day)
Week 3

• Steps - 152,591 (25,432 per day)
  • Pushups - 370 (62 per day)
  • Squats - 1,100 (183 per day)
  • Abs - 400 (67 per day)
Overall

• Steps - 416,885 (21,941 per day)
  • Pushups - 1,925 (101 per day)
  • Squats - 3,360 (177 per day)
  • Abs - 2,300 (121 per day)
LET'S GO!!!

Two things to note - I intentionally took 2 days off before I left for my hike/backpacking trip and I'm not considering those for the totals above - Week 2 and 3 only have 6 days each and Overall I've only done 19 days although I'm calling yesterday day 21.  I didn't want to put my trip at risk and in retrospect think I may the right call.  The other thing is the squats on my hike days.  I'm giving myself credit for 250 squats per day because of the stair numbers I accumulated.  I didn't do any pushups or abs so giving myself 0's for those so they kind of offset each other and seems "fair" to me.
I’m sure you’ve said this before, but what is your goal weight?

Not a joke. It's not good for the body to bounce back and forth between starving oneself and gorging. When I'm reading that someone is throwing down two cheeseburger value meals and 20 piece nuggets as a side, then trying to sustain only on water and coffee at other times, that's a recipe for a thyroid that will eventually shut down. And once that happens no weight will be lost no matter how little is consumed. I actually hope I read that wrong.

BTW, my small contribution to this thread would be to eat something as quickly after waking in the morning as possible. It jumpstarts the metabolism and lengthens the time of day spent between first consumption and last. Too many people start too late or skip breakfast altogether. It hurts the metabolism when all calories are consumed in a smaller window, say 11AM-8PM (9 hours). Someone who starts digesting at 6AM and spreads things out fairly evenly until 7PM (13 hours) would be much better off.
Hmmm...any background reading on your hypothyroidism hypothesis? Sure you aren’t referring to the pancreas?

But I agree that yo-yoing is unhealthy, especially with garbage calories like fast food and booze.

AAABatteries said:

Our societal standards have shifted so much, being a healthy weight is considered too skinny by many.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I have not.  I have cut out all grains, I do, however, need my fruits.  When one is down to meat, fish, vegies and fruit with very minimal dairy,  and no processed foods whatsoever, losing the fruits would be tough.  Also, I am looking at this not so much as a diet as a lifetime eating plan.  I am willing to accept slower results to hopefully get more permanent results.  I suspect those who rely on ketosis to confuse their metabolisms might actually accomplish that, which may cause fluctuations after coming off, unless they can return to it on a regular and ongoing basis.  I'm fine just chugging along, as long as I am progressing, even slowly, in the right direction.

I suppose keto would allow me to switch fruits for nuts, and I do love some good salty nuts.  (I can see that last phrase coming back to haunt me if we ever restore signatures.)
Your diet and overall strategy seem better than most advocated in this thread. You didn’t establish bad habits and gain the weight overnight, so it’d be foolish to expect to reverse the trend quickly. One or two pounds weight loss a week is plenty, but more importantly, you’re committed to sustaining healthy changes in your diet.

I’m sure you’ve said this before, but what is your goal weight?
I honestly don’t have one - the whole idea now is to reconfigure what I have.  I still have some abdominal fat/flab I want to get rid of.  Outside that I don’t care about the number any more.  I just weighed a little while ago after I showered - 159.  Which means I’ll be around 157-158 in the morning.  I’m obviously losing something the last couple of weeks but it’s hard to tell what.  I honestly don’t want to be super skinny.  I was hoping to shred some of the belly fat with Keto, some fasting and lots of running and some weights but it is slow going - I just have to be patient and understand that it will take time:

Day 26:

I want to go back to the old iOS where it counted more steps for me!

- 13,780 Steps (7.4 miles running)

- 140 push-ups 

- 250 squats

- 0 abs (0 Flutter kicks; 0 leg lifts; 0 crunches;  0 mountain climbers; 0 teasers)

- Stretching - SOME

- 100 oz of water - NOPE

- Sleep - NOPE

bostonfred said:
To "celebrate" today i had a nearly 1000 calorie breakfast at Dunkin - a maple bacon sandwich on a croissant, hash browns and an extra large hazlenut coffee with milk and sugar.
So just for @Otis i decided to crush half a large meat pizza. 

Breakfast 995

Maple bacon sandwich 630

Xl hazelnut coffee with skim and sugar 225

Hash browns 140

Dinner 1380

4 slices meatball pizza 1380

But i hopped on the treadmill for the first half of Monday night football

Exercise -795

20 minutes running 7mph -427

60 minutes walking 3mph -368

Total net calories 1580

Behold the power of cardio. I started back with run walking this spring and like you I've done a half marathon before so it felt ridiculous.  But it's worth the investment to build slowly and get your legs back without injury.  You don't need to overdo it. Just enjoy it.

Now since it's a cheat day, I'm cracking open a bottle of wine and having a little before bed.  But I'll still end the day in a calorie deficit after "going off the rails" with a huge breakfast, 4 slices of meat pizza and booze. 

And if i had made slightly better food decisions at breakfast - still have my sugary Dunkin coffee and eaten the same bacon egg and cheese but on an English muffin and no hash browns - and mixed in a salad for lunch,, I'd have some fiber and vitamins in there and this wouldn't even be a "cheat" day. 

I can get used to more @bostonfred around here. Nice seeing someone else using exercise as the vehicle to justify modest cheating. 

I was on point while the sun was up today - hard boiled egg, banana, pistachios, two clementines, cottage cheese with pineapple, raw peppers with hummus, and lentils + beans. 30 minute lunch lift and 5 miles ran tonight. To reward, a costco hot dog with onions and spicy mustard, big bowl of homemade chili, and a piece of cheesecake. Mmm...

So just for @Otis i decided to crush half a large meat pizza. 

Breakfast 995

Maple bacon sandwich 630

Xl hazelnut coffee with skim and sugar 225

Hash browns 140

Dinner 1380

4 slices meatball pizza 1380

But i hopped on the treadmill for the first half of Monday night football

Exercise -795

20 minutes running 7mph -427

60 minutes walking 3mph -368

Total net calories 1580

Behold the power of cardio. I started back with run walking this spring and like you I've done a half marathon before so it felt ridiculous.  But it's worth the investment to build slowly and get your legs back without injury.  You don't need to overdo it. Just enjoy it.

Now since it's a cheat day, I'm cracking open a bottle of wine and having a little before bed.  But I'll still end the day in a calorie deficit after "going off the rails" with a huge breakfast, 4 slices of meat pizza and booze. 

And if i had made slightly better food decisions at breakfast - still have my sugary Dunkin coffee and eaten the same bacon egg and cheese but on an English muffin and no hash browns - and mixed in a salad for lunch,, I'd have some fiber and vitamins in there and this wouldn't even be a "cheat" day. 
Jesus. 

wait a minute how long were you on that treadmill?? 800 calories is a ton 

hard boiled egg, banana, pistachios, two clementines, cottage cheese with pineapple, raw peppers with hummus, and lentils + beans. 
Lol #### all of this

I eat salads and salmon and stuff, and i do actually like fruit and yogurt, but I have a pretty simple rule I follow.  If you dropped all your food for the day on the ground i probably wouldn't even identify half if it as food.  F that. 

Users who are viewing this thread