What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Oh, I'm right with you on the eating - somebody needs to figure out being able to do all the eating while not getting fat or unhealthy.  I'd be all over that.
I can tell you with 100% certainty I can pretty much eat anything I want and drink as much beer as I want and still stay at the weight I am. 

All due to the running I do.

Now, there are some foods my body just won't tolerate because of my age, but for the most part whatever I feel like eating I eat. But I also put in the work to be able to do that. Long slow runs at a lower heart rate are fat burner runs.

It works - for me at least. And with the increased running you are doing, you are on the same path.

I can tell you with 100% certainty I can pretty much eat anything I want and drink as much beer as I want and still stay at the weight I am. 

All due to the running I do.

Now, there are some foods my body just won't tolerate because of my age, but for the most part whatever I feel like eating I eat. But I also put in the work to be able to do that. Long slow runs at a lower heart rate are fat burner runs.

It works - for me at least. And with the increased running you are doing, you are on the same path.
Yeah - it's a hard life.  Sometimes I have to force myself to eat a second or third dessert just to make sure I am getting enough calories.

I also wonder if it's voluntary weight loss after some other health scare.  

And whether people did keto (which can damage your heart muscle if not done correctly

Or crash dieting (also not great for the heart)

And whether people did cardio exercise during and after the diet

And whether the overweight people had increased their cardio exercise abruptly or unsafely 

And whether they were eating fiber and protein and other nutrients while on their diets

There's a lot to control for. 
I'm in the camp that believes many of the very low carbohydrate diets are going to lead to health problems way down the road, but I've not seen evidence of the bolded. Do you have a link to educate me?

I'm in the camp that believes many of the very low carbohydrate diets are going to lead to health problems way down the road, but I've not seen evidence of the bolded. Do you have a link to educate me?
Lots of stuff on Google but here's some. Summary is that there's research that suggests keto - especially the early stages of keto.- burns muscle and that this can include heart muscle.  It also cuts down on whole grains, fruits and vegetables that are healthy. But it can also improve your cholesterol and other risk factors.  And losing weight has its own health benefits.  So, like most things with health, we don't totally know if it's good or bad but we know it has good effects, can be risky and should be handled with care. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/paleo-keto-diet-may-increase-your-risk-for-heart-disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1368980/

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/2019/june/ketogenic-diet-what-are-the-risks

Lots of stuff on Google but here's some. Summary is that there's research that suggests keto - especially the early stages of keto.- burns muscle and that this can include heart muscle.  It also cuts down on whole grains, fruits and vegetables that are healthy. But it can also improve your cholesterol and other risk factors.  And losing weight has its own health benefits.  So, like most things with health, we don't totally know if it's good or bad but we know it has good effects, can be risky and should be handled with care. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/paleo-keto-diet-may-increase-your-risk-for-heart-disease

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/2019/june/ketogenic-diet-what-are-the-risks
So strange to me that we can split the atom and put a man on the moon, and yet we can’t even figure out how our own bodies work. 

Agree 1000% on the bolded.

Still didn't see anything specifically mentioning ketogenic diets and cardiomyopathy. And the TMAO stuff is a criticism of any diet rich in animal protein, not VLC diets per se

When it's all said and done, I predict we'll see an uptick in kidney stones, breast and gastrointestinal cancers related to the VLC craze, but that will take years/decades to be evident. I think the heart stuff will be a wash, as the diets are effective for weight loss and that alone should offset any CV risk the diets may promote (so far, the overall data looks pretty favorable).

It's certainly a concern to be aware of. I'm not an expert, of course, but it seems the complaint is more about ill-informed carb-restricted diets, like if a person decides "I'm just going to eat steak and bacon and have 0 carbs and life will be awesome," like Otis does when he tries a new fad. The first link says the dieters need to work in lots of nuts and avocado, for example, which seems to be totally in line with actual keto.

Personally, I've been trying to be more gut-bacteria friendly and have been having a heaping spoonful of potato starch stirred into water every day. Along with lots of spinach, mixed nuts, berries, fish, and other diverse foods to keep things in balance.
Are potatoes good for your gut?   

ProstheticRGK said:
Definitely. Resistant starch, very prevalent in potatoes, is one of the best things you can use to restore order and maintain healthy gut bacteria. According to a lot of sources, anyway.
Jesus, is there no end to the greatness of the potato?  Our guts are way ahead of the rest of these fools GB.  

NutterButter said:
Are potatoes good for your gut?   
They provide prebiotic starches - substances which are supposed to promote a healthy microbiome. But there is no prospective data supporting any favorable health outcome from regular potato consumption, to my knowledge.

The microbiome has supplanted antioxidants as the latest health buzz word, which has a lot of potential in theory, but little clinical applicability atm.

230.6. Damn scale just toying with me now, dangling the 220s in front of me like that... maybe good motivation for me to eat clean this weekend. 

C25K run this morning.  Replaced my 4th lifting day of the week with that. Just decided it was too difficult for me too continue lifting 4 days a week and then running three days, which, trying to account for a rest day between runs, requires a two-a-day somewhere in the week. Just too hard to accommodate. So the plan will be continue lifting 3 days a week (one of those a leg day), run 3 days a week, and one day off.  Feels like a good well rounded plan, and one I don’t mind. 

Moreover, I’m sorry to report at the moment I’m not on a fad diet. Actually I’m not on any diet.  This is just how I eat now. My new eating and drinking habits are basically limiting carbs and cutting out junk food, and cutting way back on alcohol from where I was. I’d still like to try and get some 44 hour fasts in, though that’s a little tougher adding in the cardio. But I’m going to give it a go when my schedule allows. 

Moreover, I’m sorry to report at the moment I’m not on a fad diet. Actually I’m not on any diet.  This is just how I eat now. My new eating and drinking habits are basically limiting carbs and cutting out junk food, and cutting way back on alcohol from where I was. I’d still like to try and get some 44 hour fasts in, though that’s a little tougher adding in the cardio. But I’m going to give it a go when my schedule allows. 
Who are you and how did you get the keys to Oats account?

I’m as disappointed in myself as you are GB. 
Prouder of you lately than ever before. That post is more impressive than if you said you were 220 by fasting for 180 hours.

Keep at it. All of it. You don't have to run any more than you are. It's a good balance. Keep being mindful of what you put in your mouth. Keep cutting it down little by little until it's just normal. Like you said, it's not a diet. It's just eating.

Couple more tips:

1) If your kids are anything like mine and most others, I could probably survive on the leftovers of food they don't finish. Depending on your family/meal dynamics, don't eat until they are done and then eat theirs. Or serve yourself very little, eat slowly, then finish their food. And if they finish it all, then you might be full too and can be done. 

2) Apples are a great snack. Buy a bag of apples every couple weeks and use that to snack when you think you might be hungry or craving something. They are under 100 calories, good for you, easy to eat anywhere, and just feel healthy without the whole "I'm not snacking on organic kale picked by virgins of the Seychelles" vibe that you (and I) despise.

Depending on your family/meal dynamics, don't eat until they are done and then eat theirs.
So true. So ####### true. Sometimes I just stand there in the kitchen, hot food to the right and behind me. Looking at those little monsters thinking to myself - I'm gonna be eating parts of two different pieces of chicken and peas, aren't I.

So true. So ####### true. Sometimes I just stand there in the kitchen, hot food to the right and behind me. Looking at those little monsters thinking to myself - I'm gonna be eating parts of two different pieces of chicken and peas, aren't I.
This definitely was a contributor for me over the years - it's even worse when eating out because we'd pay so much and I felt like food was going to waste so yes, I'll have 3 more chicken tenders, a handful of fries and a couple of pieces of chicken quesadilla.  Now that the kids are older they are the ones looking for extra food so now sometimes I give up some of my food to them.

IT'S HAPPENING!  IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! 
I almost spit on my monitor here.

Unfortunately, BnB is going to drop a lot of that back off in a couple days, but the point remains that if Otis keeps up the tortoise approach, he's got a shot.  And honestly, I hope he doesn't care anymore if he wins.  Because if he truly keeps up what he just wrote, it might take 3 months to get to his goal, but he'll get there for sure and then stay there if not continue beyond it.

The world may see Oat's abs again.

This definitely was a contributor for me over the years - it's even worse when eating out because we'd pay so much and I felt like food was going to waste so yes, I'll have 3 more chicken tenders, a handful of fries and a couple of pieces of chicken quesadilla.  Now that the kids are older they are the ones looking for extra food so now sometimes I give up some of my food to them.
:lol:  I've gotten to the point that I'll just order an appetizer as a meal.

I'll have the ceviche, but please bring it out with everyone else's meals

(sinnister look from waitress > walks away)

Then I look to my right and see another dad one table over, who nods his head approvingly and turns back to his family.

Inexplicable weight loss from yesterday to today.  Down to 264.6.  Has to be water weight.  Still, it was an encouraging moment on the scale.  At any rate I feel I am off of the plateau on which I was stuck for three weeks, essentially.  That's good.  Get this moving in the right direction again.  311 on July 4.  264.6 on October 18, 46.4 pounds.  65 to go, more or less. With any kind of consistent resolve I make that by Christmas 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inexplicable weight loss from yesterday to today.  Down to 264.6.  Has to be water weight.  Still, it was an encouraging moment on the scale.  At any rate I feel I am off of the plateau on which I was stuck for three weeks, essentially.  That's good.  Get this moving in the right direction again.  311 on July 4.  264.6 on October 18, 46.4 pounds.  65 to go, more or less.
So awesome.  Keep it up, GB.

I almost spit on my monitor here.

Unfortunately, BnB is going to drop a lot of that back off in a couple days, but the point remains that if Otis keeps up the tortoise approach, he's got a shot.  And honestly, I hope he doesn't care anymore if he wins.  Because if he truly keeps up what he just wrote, it might take 3 months to get to his goal, but he'll get there for sure and then stay there if not continue beyond it.

The world may see Oat's abs again.
:bowtie:

I've done a lot of learning in this thread over the years.  Maybe I've finally mastered what I need to.  We'll see.

But yeah, I don't care about winning.  I expect I'll lose.  

LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT AND WIN THE BET IMO

Inexplicable weight loss from yesterday to today.  Down to 264.6.  Has to be water weight.  Still, it was an encouraging moment on the scale.  At any rate I feel I am off of the plateau on which I was stuck for three weeks, essentially.  That's good.  Get this moving in the right direction again.  311 on July 4.  264.6 on October 18, 46.4 pounds.  65 to go, more or less. With any kind of consistent resolve I make that by Christmas 2020.
That is amazing.  DO NOT STOP

230.6. Damn scale just toying with me now, dangling the 220s in front of me like that... maybe good motivation for me to eat clean this weekend. 

C25K run this morning.  Replaced my 4th lifting day of the week with that. Just decided it was too difficult for me too continue lifting 4 days a week and then running three days, which, trying to account for a rest day between runs, requires a two-a-day somewhere in the week. Just too hard to accommodate. So the plan will be continue lifting 3 days a week (one of those a leg day), run 3 days a week, and one day off.  Feels like a good well rounded plan, and one I don’t mind. 

good job oats.  my workouts now entail at least 15 minutes of cardio.  i used to hate cardio and thought it was the dumbest f'ing concept in the world, to get warmed up, before working out.  i didn't care what books said, what my trainer said.  any of it.  it was all stupid.  let's just go lift, bruh!

fast forward to now, it's a must.  i do it every day. it takes about 3-4 minutes to get my heart rate above 145, so i get a solid 10+ minutes at around 150.  that's the goal.  the calories burned, when i don't do that little cardio portion, are remarkably less.  

no kettlebell today, trainer is at some mega cross fit thing in miami.  did heated, flow yoga.  so awesome.  so much sweating.  so much eye candy.  all is well.  carry on.

Day 30

- 14,291 Steps (4 miles running)

- 100 push-ups 

- 175 squats

- 125 abs (25 Flutter kicks; 25 leg lifts; 25 crunches;  25 mountain climbers; 25 teasers)

- Stretching - CHECK

- 100 oz of water - NOPE

- Sleep - CHECK

Ditkaless Wonders said:
My dad's been around 310-315 for a while. All the kids hoped he'd drop it when he still could. Now he's 72 and can't walk 100 yards. Awesome job attacking this when you still could.

Day 30

- 14,291 Steps (4 miles running)

- 100 push-ups 

- 175 squats

- 125 abs (25 Flutter kicks; 25 leg lifts; 25 crunches;  25 mountain climbers; 25 teasers)

- Stretching - CHECK

- 100 oz of water - NOPE

- Sleep - CHECK
Just using my Apple Health app, four miles for me is ~10,000 steps.  Are you an elf, or am I a giant?   :excited:  

ETA:  Reading a few articles online, it looks like 10k steps is five miles, for an average person.  I guess we're both elves.

Just using my Apple Health app, four miles for me is ~10,000 steps.  Are you an elf, or am I a giant?   :excited:  

ETA:  Reading a few articles online, it looks like 10k steps is five miles, for an average person.  I guess we're both elves.
I don't think he ran 4 miles then used a wheelchair the rest of the day.

Pretty sure he ran 4 miles and the rest of his walking got him to 14K steps ;)

Gian is correct - I just note my running for my 10k friends.  The steps are total for the day - it says 7.6 miles in total.
I'll tell you what is sad...I'll run 5 miles and barely get over 10k steps on some days.  Thanks Bill Gates.

Sunday morning run in the books.  Slowly increasing my pace and running more of the distance.  Not a terrible weekend of eating.  Friday night had family over and pizza in for the kids.  Normally I would have had 2-3 slices, followed by a donut and cookies, to go with a bunch of alcohol.  I had two Bud Select 55s; a half slice of pizza and a salad; and no baked goods instead.  Saturday some more family was over and reheated some of the leftovers.  I age some sausage chunks off the top of the pizza as I pulled it off for the kids who didn't want it.  I did snack a little Saturday night, but nothing over the top, and just had a couple drinks.  Another reasonable day.  I'll have lunch out today, my one bad meal of the weekend, but it's all good.

All this reasonable eating has me wondering how I wasn't a lot heavier eating the way I was....

Sunday morning run in the books.  Slowly increasing my pace and running more of the distance.  Not a terrible weekend of eating.  Friday night had family over and pizza in for the kids.  Normally I would have had 2-3 slices, followed by a donut and cookies, to go with a bunch of alcohol.  I had two Bud Select 55s; a half slice of pizza and a salad; and no baked goods instead.  Saturday some more family was over and reheated some of the leftovers.  I age some sausage chunks off the top of the pizza as I pulled it off for the kids who didn't want it.  I did snack a little Saturday night, but nothing over the top, and just had a couple drinks.  Another reasonable day.  I'll have lunch out today, my one bad meal of the weekend, but it's all good.

All this reasonable eating has me wondering how I wasn't a lot heavier eating the way I was....
Because supporting your brain activity takes extra calories.  An engine like that does not run on 85 octane unleaded.  It takes super premium, and that rascal is a gas guzzler. 

All the likes.  I'm dumbfounded at how much I used to eat and drink.  I've realized now (maybe already knew) that the drinking was mostly a habit; once I broke the habit of "it's 7 o'clock, shouldn't I have a drink" I haven't missed it.  That's not to say I'm not drinking at all, but not nearly every day.  And now I usually only have one, but if I get to two glasses of wine, I'm so full I couldn't drink any more than that.  

I suppose your reasonable eating isn't as entertaining for the thread, but you are kicking ### on doing this right!  I'm happy for you.

249 this AM after an average weekend. My fear of having to parent hungover has already mostly cut out the booze - so it's the snacking that was killing me. Limiting food to ~3-7 during the weekdays and then loosening up on the weekend. Will have to get more exercise baked in but need to find the time. Motto these days is "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". 
Been at 239-240 for a couple weeks which I'm feeling good about. Weekends have been the trouble so far. I enjoy my weekends though so going to try to work toward more exercise during the week - just have to figure out how to do so without passing out while only eating in the afternoon / early evening. 

I remain impressed with O's exercise routine. Adding to work + child wrangling has been daunting. 

Weighed in at 231.3 this morning, right around my recent low.  That’s despite a somewhat sloppy Sunday (intentionally so), and a big lunch meal out at a fancy restaurant (it actually wasn’t much in terms of quantity, a fancy schmancy place, I guess that’s why).

For whatever it’s worth, another good sign is the body fat % keeps decreasing.  25% this week, it was in the mid 26% range last week, and the 27-28% range the week before.  So, even though weight isn’t dropping like crazy, seems a good development.  I do need to get down into the 220s and start marching toward my goal weight here, but I’m in no hurry — I’m living just fine, and I’ll get there.  

Another run this morning.  In a hotel today in Wiconsin — will have a meal out with clients tonight, will try and be somewhat healthy about it.

My 8yo learned how to ride her bike without training wheels finally,  so we’ve been talking about weekend rides around town with me jogging and her riding alongside.  Would be nice to regularly build in some family + exercise time all in one shot.  

Users who are viewing this thread