What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

Was good yesterday.  Ate well and still no booze (4 days in a row).  

Already did some yoga today and will walk the dog later.  However I did eat a fast food lunch and we're having pizza for dinner.  I just can't seem to get in sync w/ good food choices and no booze.  Ugh.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was hectic and I forgot to post! Ran 7 miles at 9:12 pace, putting me at 21 miles for the week. That pace is once again a bit faster than I should be going, but I was so busy that I just wanted to get the run over with. Everything is starting to hurt, so next week needs to be a recovery week -- I plan on only doing 10 miles.

Had some homemade pizza and a couple drinks last night, but I exercised more restraint than I had on previous Fridays. Diet on Thursday was aces. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Yea. All of my neighbors were feeling 100% in 2-3 days. Here I am on day 11. I’d say I’m 90% recovered in that I don’t feel any more real pain, but still have occasional moments of discomfort that is difficult to describe. Being on the bike triggered that discomfort with every pedal rotation. 
took me a solid 2 weeks to feel normal with zero pain.  maybe slightly longer.

took me a solid 2 weeks to feel normal with zero pain.  maybe slightly longer.
I’m past two weeks as of today. Going to give the bike another shot this weekend.

It has been raining and the dirt for mountain biking is perfect right now after being blown out and dusty for so long. It absolutely pains me to not get out there and take advantage. It’s like living next to the ski resort and not being able to ski on a powder day. 

Weekend wasn't too bad overall.  Limited the booze fairly well but didn't track food.

On a whim, I went ahead and got my Covid booster midday Saturday.  Still tried to stay active the rest of the weekend, but yesterday was like I had a bad allergy flareup.  Feeling much better today.

Already did a 40-min yoga session this morning.  It was a bit of a slog, but I'll blame that on my booster.  Going to walk the dog in a bit.  

Keep up the good work!

:hey:  

Sorry to have been MIA.  We adopted two kittens on Friday, Oct. 29, and life has been madness trying to get them acclimated with the existing meows.  Hissing, vomiting, growling, diarrhea...and the kitties have had all of that, too.  Ba-dum-ching!  I also started experiencing severe back pain early last week, which only felt better when I, get this, vacuumed, swept, or otherwise cleaned.  Stupid back.

Stress eating and drinking followed, and I gave myself through last weekend for my bacchanalia before turning back to a healthier lifestyle today.  So far so good - healthy lunch and 40 minutes of yoga - but as we know the daytime isn't my challenge.  🤞 for this evening.

Vasectomy feeling significantly better. Pulled out the mountain bike yesterday, pedaled around the block and felt okay so decided to commit to a little ride. 11 miles, 900 feet of climbing, and 900 calories burned. Even after just two weeks out of the saddle I’m feeling more out of shape. Going to be doing a training regimen for another mountain bike race I signed up for in April, but will give myself a little leeway through the holidays. Four of my neighbors are also racing and committing to training, so it will be nice having company

Ended up exactly on my WW points yesterday, and did 38 minutes of yoga, so a successful day.  WW has changed their program to make it more personalized; had to answer a bunch of questions when I checked in yesterday in order for them to rejigger my points values and daily/weekly allotment.  We'll see how it goes.

Today is good so far with a healthy lunch and a plum for a snack, and I've done 54 minutes of yoga.  Hitting the risky hours soon, so will just need to keep it up.

I am not sure I like the new WW points system.  I have 52 points and my Wife has 18.  I am also tracking in MFP.

My daily points went down by four, but some items that had had points on the "green" system are now zero points.  I think that was based on my saying I ate them frequently.  So now all seafood, chicken, and turkey are zero for me again, but I have fewer points to spend each day.  The differences between you and your wife might be due to a similar way of answering the new questions.

I don't have an opinion yet either way about my new system and how well it will work, except that I think it's probably better to have it more tailored individually.

Crazy few days -- things have been going pretty well even though I've been slacking on the updates. Ended up having too much sodium on Saturday, but Sunday/Monday/today were all good. Resisted the temptation to pick up a 6-pack after submitting a big project today.

On the exercise front it's a much-needed recovery week, so I didn't run on Monday and did 5 easy miles this morning at 9:34 pace. Planning another 5 miles for Thursday but that's it. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Glad to see everyone hanging tough.  Great work all.

My tailspin continues, but I am doing better this week.  Mrs. O gave up alcohol, and I've severely limited (one glass of wine last night).  I also am not snacking after dinner.  If I'm going to have a piece of chocolate or candy after dinner, fine, but it's in the kitchen.  I'm not laying on the couch stuffing my face anymore.  I can't.  Weighed in today at 236, heaviest I've been in a good long while.  So, it's time to start taking care of myself.

Good decisions.  No overdoing any of the alcohol or sweets.  Just eat real food, eat less of it, not drink so much, move around more.  

Glad to see everyone hanging tough.  Great work all.

My tailspin continues, but I am doing better this week.  Mrs. O gave up alcohol, and I've severely limited (one glass of wine last night).  I also am not snacking after dinner.  If I'm going to have a piece of chocolate or candy after dinner, fine, but it's in the kitchen.  I'm not laying on the couch stuffing my face anymore.  I can't.  Weighed in today at 236, heaviest I've been in a good long while.  So, it's time to start taking care of myself.

Good decisions.  No overdoing any of the alcohol or sweets.  Just eat real food, eat less of it, not drink so much, move around more.  
If Mrs O gave up booze you should do the same.  You would be supporting her and doing yourself a favor.  This is your chance to make great progress.   Not drinking can suck but it should make a big impact on your quest to drop pounds.  

Did yoga (40-min upper body focus) and walked the dog today.  Not tracking food but also not drinking.  

I feel like I've probably added a few lbs over the last month plus, but I'm also enjoying taking a little bit more lax attitude about everything.  Maybe this is a maintenance mode for me, although I'd prefer to maintain a little bit lower than I am currently.  

Keep up the good work!

We had a tornado warning here yesterday!  Here!  Didn't turn out to be a tornado, but I admit I'd never considered where I needed to go in case of one - I have no interior rooms without windows nor any basement.  Wrangling the cats into the laundry room was fun, though.

Why is this in the Otis fad diet thread?  Well, I was thinking that it would have worked itself into a kev-walking write-up if it had been him.

I did well for the second day in a row yesterday, once again hitting my WW points right on the button, and doing 54 minutes of yoga.  Already feel less bloated.  I didn't weigh this past Monday as I knew it would be awful, and I worried it would wind up as a disincentive rather than an incentive.  I'll weigh next Monday for an official starting weight and to establish a goal.

150 kettlebell clean and presses ( 75 each arm in fifteen 5 rep sets)

100 goblet squats (10 sets of 10)

100 kettlebell swings ( 10 sets of 10)

3 rounds of shadow boxing ( three minute rounds)

Half hour of striking drills ( I have someone on my security detail hold Thai pads for me)

Father Time is undefeated. I lose some strength every year. I can feel my grip start to waver at times. I constantly play this game on how much fiber and how much fermented food can I eat in my one meal a day.

When I get back to Medina, I'll send one of my interns to bring krista4 a gift card from Kettlebell Kings, then she'll have no choice but to join the iron cult.

When I eventually get back to Brooklyn, I'll send Otis my disappointment. No excuses, son, just drive metal.

Only about ten degrees cooler, but the wind was much drier today. Pace was 18:43.

None of which matters, as I've reinjured my fascia. Feels like I stepped on a piece of rebar on the outside corner of my left heel. I'm already committed to the world's largest Renfair this weekend, and it will be just awesome if I have to gimp around. :mellow:

Forgot to post an update on yesterday.  Mostly good, with 37 minutes of very sweaty yoga and once again spot-on my WW points, having gain a few extra to play with due to high vegetable intake.  Felt like I ate/drank too much, but I'm going with the points and system!

I haven't been posting a lot, but things are still going OK.  I'm still hovering around 200 which is the major goal.  Not able to walk as much as I want right now because my schedule has changed a bit and work is getting in the way.  Eating decently this week (but why did I have a bowl of cereal last night at 10PM   :bag:  ).  Holding steady with the no booze during the week... so basically it's 4 days off and 3 days on for drinks.  I just need to hang on through the holidays and get to next year when the new resolve/resolutions will kick in.  What is it about the calendar changing that makes such a big difference in our behavior?

I woke up one morning midweek just disgusted with myself.  It was in the 5s, everyone else was still sleeping.  So I got out of bed, got dressed, and went for a run.   :shrug:

I should probably say “run.”  It was awful.  Yet felt kinda good.  It was a 2 mile run-walk combo.  And I felt a little better about myself the rest of the day.  I didn’t do it the next two days, in part because I’m lazy, but in party because the last time I started running I think I did too much too quickly and my knees started hurting and I had to stop.  So today, Saturday, I woke up, we’re sitting around this morning and again, I had this strange urge.  I threw on my running sneakers and headphones, and off I went again.  Twice in a week.  Huh.

Anyway, I’d kinda like to start doing this more and more.  I’m going to start gradually to try to avoid injury.  But so far, this is kinda neat.

Today I also decided to try and start eating better.  Imagine that — if I exercise more, and eat better, probably I’ll be healthier.

Huh.

I woke up one morning midweek just disgusted with myself.  

I’m going to start gradually to try to avoid injury.  But so far, this is kinda neat.

Today I also decided to try and start eating better.  Imagine that — if I exercise more, and eat better, probably I’ll be healthier.

Huh.
this is key.  with anything you do in the exercise world.  go try to crush a 10k on the rower?  sore as hell for 2-3 days.  f that noise.  start slow, be consistent.  ramp it up and voila!  it's part of your normal day to day.

Avoiding injury seems to be failure point for me. I woke up with my heel hurting worse, and in a different place, than when I went to bed. Note the original injury was on Thursday. It got a little better as I moved around, although I suspect my dad is getting around better than me this weekend. Still, the scale says I lost 0.8 pounds over the last two weeks, so I will shuffle off for migas, and trust that the grocery cart will hold me up.

I had a good day on Thursday, despite OH bringing me xiao long bao.  A couple of points over on WW but lots of yoga and generally healthy.

Yesterday I took the day off to go on a wild edible foraging field trip.  Super-fun, but it was cold and raining, so afterwards we decided to go to Woodinville, where there are 130+ wine tasting rooms, to warm ourselves up with wine.  I was great at lunch!  Had a grilled (skinless) chicken and a little Greek salad and only one glass of wine.  Then we went tasting...and I don't want to talk about the rest of the day/night.  :hangover:

I woke up one morning midweek just disgusted with myself.  It was in the 5s, everyone else was still sleeping.  So I got out of bed, got dressed, and went for a run.   :shrug:

I should probably say “run.”  It was awful.  Yet felt kinda good.  It was a 2 mile run-walk combo.  And I felt a little better about myself the rest of the day.  I didn’t do it the next two days, in part because I’m lazy, but in party because the last time I started running I think I did too much too quickly and my knees started hurting and I had to stop.  So today, Saturday, I woke up, we’re sitting around this morning and again, I had this strange urge.  I threw on my running sneakers and headphones, and off I went again.  Twice in a week.  Huh.

Anyway, I’d kinda like to start doing this more and more.  I’m going to start gradually to try to avoid injury.  But so far, this is kinda neat.

Huh.

Kettlebell Clean And Press || Kettlebell Kings May 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hho-oLVeU

The most effective training bang for your buck given your situation would be the kettlebell clean and press. If you are overweight, you shouldn't run. Long form running is also not the most efficient way to train for fitness ( unless the goal is to run for distance) The most effective training you can do in the area of "running" are sprints. But if you are carry too much weight, that's also a bad idea.

The best way to be consistent for training is to treat it like a job. Form a schedule for the week that you follow and use it. For those with kids, earlier is better because it gets it out of the way and very early in the morning is when you can be alone and focus.

Put stakes into it. Every time you miss a scheduled workout, take 100 dollars from what you would have put into a retirement fund/college fund and donate it to the most corrupt "charity" you can find.

This is not complicated. I'm a lot harder on you and have always been because the situation requires it. If you are not healthy, and something happens, what happens to your kids? If you need to carry your kids to safety for a long distance in an emergency and you can't physically do it, then what? If you face a health crisis and poor health/diet sinks you, what duty have you shown to your kids?  My godson could have been a foster kid and then what would have happened to him?

This is all the motivation you need - Love your kids more than you hate yourself.

Not taking care of your health is hating yourself. It's a declaration about how you feel about you as a person.

Loving your kids means being as physically fit as possible to be there for them in all ways. Physically, emotionally, mentally and as an example.

One of the worst moments of my personal life was the day I realized that, despite the outer trappings of what our craptastic society calls "success", I was actually a pretty horrible person who had done unspeakable horrible things to attain that "success" and if I didn't change, I would doom my godson, by my every day example, to be just like me. If I wanted to actually raise him and keep my word to truly protect him, I had to first protect him from me. I had to kill the toxic person inside me and stop hating myself so that I could love him enough to teach him better by example.

You don't get to ride the middle. You either choose to hate yourself. Or you choose to love your children. That's the deal. That's how it works. For everyone. Not just for me, not just for you, but for everyone.

You don't hate exercise, you hate obligation. But the truth is everyone, at some level, hates obligation. Hating your obligation is a feeling. Feelings are not real. They don't have to carry weight. They only are full of what you put into them to anchor you down.

Lots of people here will be soft with you. I won't. Because I expect better out of you. You should expect better out of yourself. This can't be about you. Duty is never about you. And you've chosen this duty. 

How you choose to live your life is an expression of what you want your children to be.

Am I a nihilist because I don't have kids? So confused.

Human beings have two primary biological imperatives.

1) Survive

2) Reproduce

Almost all practical behavioral models are built upon those two core concepts.

All human beings are predisposed to "laziness". Which is basically survival resource management. If you burn 15 thousand calories in total to hunt an animal then prepare it, process it and consume it, but it only gives you 4000 calories, then doing that on a consistent basis means death. Death to you, death to your mate, death to your children, death to your tribe.

Almost all practical hunter / gatherer strategies were built upon efficiency and energy conservation. It's the same in the animal kingdom. The critical issue here is an environment of scarcity.

Nearly everyone here was born into a life of abundance and security. There's a thread talking about shortages in the FFA where people are mocking those who talked functional preparedness. If you've always lived in a society of abundance, you can afford to laugh. If you've always lived in a society of scarcity, you don't have time to laugh. There's a video of The Greek Freak from the NBA Bucks where he was seen with a garbage bag taking about 60 bottle of water from a free area for refreshment for players to take to their hotel rooms. He simply smiled and said "free water" Most people here wouldn't blink twice about free water if they've always had clean water. Did he grow up where clean water access was guaranteed? No, he didn't.

Those here who aren't in the best fitness possible to their practical level ( I am trying to make this relative here, no one needs to be Usain Bolt, but everyone could be doing much better) would see things differently if safety was no longer guaranteed. If survival meant you might need to physically run, then you'd damn sure would be adapting to that necessity.

Do you know what terrifies homeless people? Well one of many things that terrify them? Getting sick. Getting a horrible case of the flu or pneumonia or anything that could stack on you while you are basically living outside and in poor hygienic conditions. Homeless people think more about staying warm, strategies to get warm and how to adapt to certain greater risks.

Many people don't embrace fitness as a lifestyle in this thread because our society has coddled them to the point where they don't need to adapt. People aren't reminded daily that if you falter and die, then everyone you love dies with you. That's how natural selection works. So for those who don't have children, do you have siblings? Parents? Nieces and nephews? Cousins? It's very likely someone depends on you or you are part of their practical "safety net"

Are you guaranteed a life of abundance tomorrow? You are not. You are promised nothing tomorrow. So if that all disappears, you have to put yourself in a position to be practically capable to handle basic survival in an environment of perpetual scarcity. Some of you will say that will never happen. And I'll say did any of you foresee a worldwide pandemic that would bring the world to it's knees five years ago?

I've always taken care of my health. But I am a lot older than nearly all of you and I existed for a long time when I was starting in the business world with no practical health insurance. I had to think about good decisions that would help me survive. I didn't have any safety net. When some bad health hit me from things I couldn't control, that extra training and care I took with nutrition and general health very likely kept me alive. If I died, what would happen to my godson? I was his last safety net.

The more you bleed in training, the less you bleed in war.

But it's more than my godson, I have over 1000 employees. While I'm retired, the reality is you never really retire when you run your own businesses. If I screw up things, how do the kids of those people loyal to me eat?

The thing people in this thread have to understand is - It's not all about you. It's not all about what you feel. It's only going to happen if you realize it's not a choice.

I don't need to teach Otis how to properly deadlift. If I teach Otis how to properly value himself as an authentic person,  then his natural pathway will be to do positive things that indicate self love and self care that will propel him to take relentless action where he'll find every resource possible to teach himself how to deadlift. There is a deep rooted insidious emotional and mental component of self sabotage going on with a lot of people in this thread and they just don't know it.

Has anyone noticed I am giving small practical progressive steps? I'm not asking anyone to win a Strongman competition. I'm asking people to do 10 air squats every time they take a break from their home work desk. Small baby steps that add up over time.

Otis doesn't need a pep talk. He needs a calendar and a marker and to write down a training schedule and then stick to it.

Don't be confused. Do what I'm telling you and you'll win. Don't and you will fall. That's it. That's the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread