What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Posted awhile back that I was starting my 100-day exercise challenge again. Yeah, that didn’t happen… I topped out at 251lbs or so, then switched to IF (basically ate dinner only), and ate what my wife prepared, which is almost exclusively a 21 day fix recipe. This got me down to about 237lbs, but I’ve now plateaued for quite awhile.

I turn 50 on 12/13. I leave for a 7 day cruise tomorrow morning, and I’m going to enjoy that. When I get back next week, the work begins. My goal is to be in the best shape of my life by my 50th. Aggressive? Sure. Doable? :unsure: But that’s the plan.

I do have a gym membership, and will be (finally) making use of that. Here are my obstacles:

1: Had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago. Since then, my gut is completely unpredictable. I don’t poop at work. So how to eat during the day is a major concern.

2: I have to be at work at 8. I loathe getting up any earlier than I have to. But I’m too tired after work to hit the gym, so I’m going to have to go in the morning. Seems like 10pm bed times will become a part of my life.

3: Resources. I’ve never been really in shape. I was a fat kid until I hit my growth spurt. 18-24 was probably my peak (duh), but I’ve never been exactly skinny. If anyone can point me to diet and exercise blogs/vids/beginner programs etc that aren’t shtick or fad driven, I’d appreciate it. Because I have no idea what I’m doing. My thought is a shake/smoothie similar to what @offdee posted above for breakfast and lunch, with a sensible dinner, but I don’t know how to account for weight training.

When I did keto a few years ago, I got down to 203lbs. I’d like to get sub-200, which should be doable (-38 lbs in 6ish months). I’ll have 22 weeks to get there, so that jibes with the common 1-2lbs per week.

Any thoughts, links, resources that y’all recommend would be highly appreciated. I don’t want to do the fad thing this time. I want to do it right. @Otis, want to come along for the ride?
Update: 2 months in, and results are disappointing. I have been stuck at around 231 for about a month. I only eat between the hours of 6-11pm, and the meals are pretty healthy. The downside is that I do eat a dessert every night, and I think that must be what’s derailing my progress. We also have a cheat meal on Fridays, but I think and have read that one per week can actually help. WTF knows…
I’m in the midst of a roughly 42 hour fast. The last time I ate was around midnight on Friday night/Saturday morning. Weighed in at 227 this morning, and won’t eat until around 6pm tonight.
I’ve also been reading quite a bit about how the gut micro-biome affects weight control. I’ve been taking a diverse prebiotic and a probiotic. Trying to eliminate diet soda, as I thought this was harmful to the gut. I’ve been drinking Powerade 0 instead. So yesterday I read a study that found that aspartame, which is the sweetener in Diet Coke, actually does not have a negative effect on the micro biome, but sucralose, the sweetener in PA0, does have a negative effect. So I’m still going to minimize soda, but I’m also going to eliminate PA0, as well as the Splenda in my morning coffee. I’ll be switching to stevia moving forward.
TL/DR- eliminating Powerade 0, cutting way back on desserts to once per week on cheat night. Idk if this 40+ hour fast is something I can do consistently because I had horrible insomnia last night, which is very unusual for me.

I'm down 57 lbs since August 2021.

Walking allot more with increased energy. Being in mid-50s I am very happy so far.

Initial goal was 75 lbs, but may bump it to an even 100.... When I hit 300 I said "F" this, I need to make drastic diet changes etc...

Well, it's been just over a year since I started (Aug 10,2021 to be exact) and I am down 80 lbs. I go through small plateau's here and there where I may go a couple weeks with no weight loss but I can still feel it in the way my clothes fit so I don't sweat it.

Walking 2-4 miles/day is helping to ( I walk around 3.6-3.9 MPH) either twice/day (usually Monday - Friday AM walk and a lunchtime walk or a straight 4 miler on weekends).

I think this has helped a lot.

I went from 300 lbs to 220 lbs. 40 waist to 32 waist and 3XL t-shirts to XL.

I am very happy with my lifestyle change and now it's the norm for me. I allow myself to eat whatever I want on weekends (for most part).

Congrats to everyone on here still fighting the fight! I enjoy hearing all of your stories and often just creep on the thread but thought I'd post something after my last April 2022 post....

I encouraged a close friend of mine who weighed in at 335 lbs in April 2022 to do my plan, and he's down to 272 lbs now. That makes me feel good....

I'm down 57 lbs since August 2021.

Walking allot more with increased energy. Being in mid-50s I am very happy so far.

Initial goal was 75 lbs, but may bump it to an even 100.... When I hit 300 I said "F" this, I need to make drastic diet changes etc...

Well, it's been just over a year since I started (Aug 10,2021 to be exact) and I am down 80 lbs. I go through small plateau's here and there where I may go a couple weeks with no weight loss but I can still feel it in the way my clothes fit so I don't sweat it.

Walking 2-4 miles/day is helping to ( I walk around 3.6-3.9 MPH) either twice/day (usually Monday - Friday AM walk and a lunchtime walk or a straight 4 miler on weekends).

I think this has helped a lot.

I went from 300 lbs to 220 lbs. 40 waist to 32 waist and 3XL t-shirts to XL.

I am very happy with my lifestyle change and now it's the norm for me. I allow myself to eat whatever I want on weekends (for most part).

Congrats to everyone on here still fighting the fight! I enjoy hearing all of your stories and often just creep on the thread but thought I'd post something after my last April 2022 post....

I encouraged a close friend of mine who weighed in at 335 lbs in April 2022 to do my plan, and he's down to 272 lbs now. That makes me feel good....
Damn, dude, that’s phenomenal. Congratulations! Have you posted your plan in detail in this thread?

Wow that's amazing. 7-8 lbs a month is tough for even a month or two but for a long as you've done it, making it through the holidays and pandemic months and everything else, serious kudos. What were you doing that worked for you?
Honestly, just watching calorie intake and walking between 7,000-10,000 steps per day. I eat "cleaner" than I was as well (less additives, preservatives, sugars, soda, etc).

I also learned to not overeat so much at night. Being empty nesters, it is extremely hard to cook to 2 without overcooking leading to overeating. There is a place near me called Clean Eatz (https://www.cleaneatz.com/ ) that specializes in "clean" meals. They sell frozen meals that are outstanding and do the trick. Perfect for a lunch or dinner.

Instead of "steps" I started devoting time to walking at an accelerated pace. I walk twice/day Mon-Fri (once in morning and once at lunch for a total of 4 mile) and one 4 miler on Saturday and Sunday. Weather permitting of course

Clean Eatz meals have really been the key. I eat 2/day during week and maybe 1 on Sat/Sun. I keep my calories around 1,500/day until I hit my goal of 199.9 lbs :wink:. The Clean Eatz meals are essentially portion controlled meals with "clean" ingredient's only. I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish same thing. I am fortunate that I have a Clean Eatz minutes from my house but they do have a mail order version as well - https://www.cleaneatzkitchen.com/

Edit: I log everything in the MyFitnessPal app. I use this to hold me accountable and take pictures every 6 months to show my progress. It's a PITA to keep up with but without the accountability, I would prolly not be as successful. There are obviously other apps that do the same thing buit I downloaded MFP and it seems to do everything I need without a price. I use free version.

Last edited:
The scale says I've lost 0.2 and 0.4 pounds the last two weeks. Now if I can just keep doubling it for the next six weeks, I'll reach my goal. Though I will need a tummy tuck.

Congrats on the successes in here.

The final year of COVID destroyed me. I'm just over 240 now, which is about even with my heaviest lifetime weight.

Going to give up the nightly drinking; eat healthy on weekdays; signed up for tennis lessons; and going to get back on the rowing machine a couple mornings per week. Trying.

Turns out this is a lot harder at 46 than it was at 26.

Last month save. Although it has rained every day this week, none of it was at dawn. And the scale begrudgingly documented a 2.2-lb loss. Sushi and sake tonight!

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

I went back to LIFETIME. i have rejoined the gym!! all my old info was still in their system. today my body fat was 19.5% up from a low of 15.5%, 3 years ago. muscle mass was down, due to not lifting anything other than beers for the last few years. it was nice to be back. got my sauna in. most excellent. i missed it!!

I don't like doing my morning walk in full dark, but I can't hold off the procession of the Earth. Soon, it will either be on the treadmill or at lunch, and stay that way until March. Just holding on until the clock change forces my hand.

Hopefully this thread survives the migration.

I’m still kind of in neutral - been more active but my diet has been poor. I need to drop 20-25 by first week of November for my next backpacking trip.

LET’S GO!

I gave an update on my vitals but not weight - I’ve been mostly great with my diet save alcohol but I’ve done decent in limiting it to whiskey. I’ve dropped probably about 15 pounds of what my goal is for November. Hoping for 7-10 more before then. Had a setback with my workouts as I strained a groin and I can’t take any chances with it or risk missing my backpacking.

Biggest win besides doing well with my weight is my continued stretching routine. Really making a huge difference in how I feel and move around.

Well hey, it's been a minute.

Last year I had tons of momentum, running 15-20 miles/week and posting regular updates in here. In January I began having knee troubles which halted my workouts indefinitely. As the exercise fell to the wayside, my diet (and posting here) did too, and then in May I got covid. It wasn't a particularly bad case, but I've been dealing with some lingering back/chest pain since.

The good news is that I've slowly begun to resume some healthy habits. In July I just started going on walks, and over the last couple months I've been averaging about four 2-3 mile walks per week. I recently started attacking the diet side of things again, loading up on healthy snacks and tracking my nutrition in MFP. I also added some Youtube home fitness videos to my routine and they've been great.

There's still a lot of room for improvement though. Alcohol continues to be my toughest vice to kick, and sometimes it feels like I'm throwing away a whole week of great nutrition by drinking a lot over the weekend. I really need to keep this under control since blood pressure is one of the main indicators I'm concerned about. Between covid, bad diet, and little exercise I've been scared to check my BP for most of the year, but tonight I clocked in at levels only slightly above normal (122/82). I'd love to start running again, joints & muscles permitting, and get that BP down to where it was last year (about 110/70). Hoping that regularly posting in here again can help me regain some of that 2021 momentum. ;( It's good to be back.

Hello Cleveland!

I'm back on this wagon. Over the course of 2022 I have packed on about 15-20 pounds. I had to put my dog down right before the new year, and well, it turns out four dog walks a day was all that was keeping me almost respectable.

I went to the gym this afternoon for the first time since March of 2020. I had used Covid as an excuse for a while, but for the past year I've just been riding the lazy side of inertia. I hit legs and the steam room and it felt great, though I may not be able to get out of bed tomorrow. Why, WHY, did I not buy a bed pan when I was replenishing my gym clothes and whatnots?

I'll state my goals and then go reward myself (I have declared Friday nights eligible for a cheat meal and I'm going to murder a Boboli crust).

Anyway, my goal is to go from 220 to 180, by way of dropping 45 pounds of fat and adding five pounds of muscle over these next six months, which translates into drop from roughly 30% body fat to 10%. I know that is a lofty goal, but I'm a classic ectomorph, or should I say that I will be a born-again ectomorph.

I'm not going get carried away with any measurements, biometrics, etc. Really the only thing I will be tracking is my weight and waist. From experience, every five pounds I drop equals a one-inch reduction on my waistline, so I am staring down a nine‐inch loss. Luckily, last time I dropped down to 180 I went out and spent a boatload on new clothes, and I still have them. I remember that month fondly.

Also, six days and no beer - and no edibles. Feeling good, except that it has been very disruptive to my sleep. Gonna go seek out podcasts on theoretical physics - and eat pizza.

Still plugging away with my goal of being sub-200 by mid December. Sitting at about 225 right now, but with some noticeable improvement to muscle tone, particularly in my chest and shoulders.

I just finished week 2 of the hundred push-ups challenge, and I also ponies up for an app called muscle booster. I like it because It gives you a daily workout, and also shows you how to do the actual exercises, which is helpful for me. I’m hitting the gym 3x/week, and the routines help me make sure to exercise to failure.

3 months left to drop 26lbs… That’s slightly over 2lbs/wk. That’s a faster pace than I’ve been dropping, which is extremely frustrating since I do IF every day, and eat pretty healthy. What I don’t know is how much fat I’m trading for muscle. If things don’t improve by Oct 1, I’ll have to incorporate cardio on my off days.

Still plugging away with my goal of being sub-200 by mid December. Sitting at about 225 right now, but with some noticeable improvement to muscle tone, particularly in my chest and shoulders.

I just finished week 2 of the hundred push-ups challenge, and I also ponies up for an app called muscle booster. I like it because It gives you a daily workout, and also shows you how to do the actual exercises, which is helpful for me. I’m hitting the gym 3x/week, and the routines help me make sure to exercise to failure.

3 months left to drop 26lbs… That’s slightly over 2lbs/wk. That’s a faster pace than I’ve been dropping, which is extremely frustrating since I do IF every day, and eat pretty healthy. What I don’t know is how much fat I’m trading for muscle. If things don’t improve by Oct 1, I’ll have to incorporate cardio on my off days.
What's your diet like?

What's your diet like?
We pretty much exclusively use 21 day fix recipes. Lean meats, vegetables, low carb.

Some nights I do have a dessert, or some almonds and cheese for a snack. Should still be well below 2000kcal.

Fridays are cheat nights. My one meal is whatever I want, usually pizza or Mexican.

Last edited:
Not dead yet, barely.

After my kick out the jams workout this past Friday, I was sick sick for two days. My body was ticked off. Went back for round two today. Hit legs again because I am not lapsing back after all that ####. Still have to hit all the upper-body parts a first time, but that won't be near as bad as legs; scratching my *** might be a problem for a few days.

Also, and this is bad, I did five lousy minutes of cardio on the Step Mill and got my pulse up to 150. WTF. Initial rate was around 125 because I went immediately from weights to cardio. Well, at least I have something to build on.

Now for the good news. My hair looks fabulous. Going on 3.5 years without getting it cut. My MMA-Jesus bod is going to be lit. Instagram here I come.

That's all. Just going to press myself to workout regularly, rotating upper and lower body, and cardio. After a month I'll refine these splits.

Worked with a trainer yesterday. Sore AF today. Back in the gym to break up some of that lactic acid Little stretch, foam roll, bike, sauna. LIFETIME is awesome. Beers later.

Logged 10 drinks last week—not bad, but ideally I can get it closer to 6 or so. Had a short business trip on Monday/Tuesday where I ate worse and exercised less, but it wasn’t a disaster. BP was right on the money at 120/80 tonight.

The scales says I gained 2.2 pounds last week. I know it's mostly water, but I also know it's because of unauthorized carbs during the week. For me, desserts have to be rare, not regular.

Still stuck at 225. I do continue to notice improvements to my shoulders and arms, and my pants fit better, so I’m not completely discouraged. I’m on week 4 of the hundred push-up challenge. Once I complete that, I’m going to transition to the 50 pull up challenge.

I have a gym day today. Starting tomorrow I’ll be introducing cardio on my off days. Gotta break this plateau…

My pace was 19:33 this morning. I have to keep leaving later, and soon I'll have to switch to lunchtime. But not this week, because we're scheduled to welcome fall with a couple of 100-degree days.

feel like i owe you all an update so i kept on walking and biking like crazy until december of last year when my back left me on the ground in a fetal position because it was the only way i could have any sort of pain relief ended up having an mri and literally every level in my lumbar spine except one is more or less ruined so i ended up having a laminectomy and discectomy at l5s1 and now it looks like about a year later im going to have to have the same thing at l45 just stinks lots of injections and oral steroids in the last year and walking just doesnt go like it used to basically about every quarter mile i have to stop bend over and sort of let the pain down my left leg stop and then i can start up again so ive gained about 15 in the past year and i am doing everything to get back down through diet and whatever i can muster up for a workout it just is what it is i am staying positive and just getting through it but maybe i will be back in here again take that to the bank brohans

Been a hot minute since I've been in here. I've managed to put on a fair amount of weight and am ready for some accountability. I ended up with Covid at the end of June which really set back my fitness. It didn't really hit me hard other than a couple days of body aches, but whenever I would try to exercise my heart rate would spike out of control. Once I was finally able to start exercising again I got the flu. The flu actually hit me harder than Covid and I don't know if it flared up the after effects of Covid, or if it caused its own thing, but I started to experience the same extremely elevated heart rate symptoms, as well as feeling like I couldn't breathe while exercising. As a result I really haven't done very much exercise for the last 3 months and I was stupid to not adjust my eating habits.

I'm going to start getting back after it on the bike, and maybe see if that alone gets my weight back in check. If that doesn't work I may go back to a plant based diet to kick start things. Sounds like some of you all are still killing it. Keep up the good work!

The scales said I lost 4.2 pounds this week. Of course, it said I gained 3.3 last week and I didn't trust it then. So I prefer to say I lost 0.9 pounds over the last two weeks, which sounds more like me. I dipped under 270 for the first time since the Icepocalypse of '21, which is upsetting but true. Gotta stay there.

Been a hot minute since I've been in here. I've managed to put on a fair amount of weight and am ready for some accountability. I ended up with Covid at the end of June which really set back my fitness. It didn't really hit me hard other than a couple days of body aches, but whenever I would try to exercise my heart rate would spike out of control. Once I was finally able to start exercising again I got the flu. The flu actually hit me harder than Covid and I don't know if it flared up the after effects of Covid, or if it caused its own thing, but I started to experience the same extremely elevated heart rate symptoms, as well as feeling like I couldn't breathe while exercising. As a result I really haven't done very much exercise for the last 3 months and I was stupid to not adjust my eating habits.

I'm going to start getting back after it on the bike, and maybe see if that alone gets my weight back in check. If that doesn't work I may go back to a plant based diet to kick start things. Sounds like some of you all are still killing it. Keep up the good work!
I thought you went on a bike trip in tahoe recently? So confused.

I did. Was the first time in months I’ve put serious time on the bike and it kicked my ***.

I did. Was the first time in months I’ve put serious time on the bike and it kicked my ***.
:lol: Makes more sense. I was starting to think you were some biking super hero.

Could not have better weather than I had at daybreak all week. Six straight mornings around 60, dry, with an almost imperceptible breeze. Will try to make it one more week, but the procession of the Earth is difficult to fight.

The scale says I gained 0.1 pound this week. Almost ran off to the elliptical, but bad weather is going to do that to me enough eventually.

A few silly and significant perhaps only to me milestones this week. First, I’m in pants with a waist size starting in 3 after beginning March in 52s. Second, I can do that goofy pec jiggling thing while saying “ good for you” like Jason Segal in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

This despite my weight not really going down all summer. I seem to be pretty exclusively recompositioning. To the extent that it looks like my stopping point will be around 220 if I aim for 15 percent body fat.

Hopefully this thread survives the migration.

I’m still kind of in neutral - been more active but my diet has been poor. I need to drop 20-25 by first week of November for my next backpacking trip.

LET’S GO!

Cleaned diet up considerably since this post. Ramped up my hiking too so finally in a good groove. Down around 8 pounds in 3 weeks. Hoping for another 10-15 before November.

Diet:
- intermittent fasting daily
- low-ish carbs
- no beer save a couple of occasions; limit whiskey

Exercise:
- LOTS of stretching and core work
- hiking with weighted backpack
- walking
- some weights and body weight exercises

Other:
- lots of water
- lots of sleep
- I never felt like I have much stress but trying to work on what little I do have

Had a physical and blood work recently. All came back good. A1C was a little higher than I’d like (5.4), glucose 89, BP was like 117/78, total cholesterol 177, HDL 55, triglycerides 77, PSA was I think 0.66.

So, all good news for now.

LET’S GO!!!

Update - mostly good, some bad

Diet/Weight:
  • I still do IF almost every day. I find it's remarkable when I combine IF and just moderate eating (not even LC) helps me maintain pretty well
  • Drank way too much beer the last month but I offset it so still losing
  • Weight wise I'm in a good place and staying consistent. Down about 25 pounds since I started back and currently sit around 187. Target is 180 by 11/4 for my backpacking trip. I have a colonoscopy Monday so expecting to easily hit that as I plan to drop 3-5 for that plus I'm having a dry October (until Halloween).
Exercise:
  • Started doing some running and managing to cover 2-3 miles slowly a few times a week. Good news is my ankle post surgery is holding up (so far). Going to limit the runs the next month to avoid any kind of nagging injury for trip
  • I've slacked some with other exercise, namely weights as I've been doing a ton of home improvement projects and just stay constantly dead tired. Going to be doing a lot of squats and core work the next month - again in prep for trip
Other
  • Stretching - still at this and it helps but backed off a little as I've had a pinched nerve in my hip/leg and it's really painful at the moment
  • Alcohol still limiting somewhat but I've done pretty good to limit myself to only drinking a few days and only a few drinks. Not bad but need to clean it up some
  • Sleep - I'm struggling here. Need to get some better routines
  • Water - so-so, could do a little better

Users who are viewing this thread