What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (3 Viewers)

I'm just worried about picking up junk off the beach without hitting town every 5 kills.
I fully intend to buy extra tabs (just to support the game) but I am well into Act 2 in cruel and have played around 75 hours or so and have not needed the extra tabs yet. You will soon see that the vast vast majority of whites and blues are not worth picking up.

You probably won't need to spend $20 if you don't want. Spending $10 will get you 3 more tabs for your stash.
I only save rares and gems at this point, and I've spent $40 on upgraded stash tabs. One light bulb moment I had was this: I have a least 2 stash tabs worth of gems, I just started putting them in the sockets of armor I had, voila.
Lol, I never thought of that :)

do your stats get bought up at all, or is it just item bonuses and the skill tree stuff?
If by stats you mean life and mana:http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/page/1All classes begin with the same base stats, and gain the same amount per level:50 life, +6 per level40 mana, +4 per level50 evasion, +3 per level (including level 1)If by stats you mean Dexterity, Strength and IntelligenceClasses also start with different amounts of attributes at level 1:Marauder: 30 STR, 14 DEX, 14 INTRanger: 14 STR, 30 DEX, 14 INTWitch: 14 STR, 14 DEX, 30 INTDuelist: 22 STR, 22 DEX, 14 INTTemplar: 22 STR, 14 DEX, 22 INTShadow: 14 STR, 22 DEX, 22 INTAttributes are required to equip gear and skills. The three attributes also grant some passive bonuses:Strength grants +0.5 life and +0.2% melee physical damage per pointDexterity grants +2 accuracy and +0.2% evasion per pointIntelligence grants +0.5 mana and +0.2% energy shield per pointTherefore the +10 attribute passive skills effectively grant:+10 Strength: +5 life, +2% melee physical damage+10 Dexterity: +20 accuracy, +2% evasion+10 Intelligence: +5 mana, +2% energy shield

I mean the attributes - str, etc

someone advised me not to spend skill points on them as they didn't help much --- I assumed you'd be able to buy them up as you ;level.

wouldn't I want to skill them up for item reqs?

edit: also, I see some passive skills grant crit bonus to spells, and some just grant crit bonus.

do the nonspecific ones just apply to weapons, or everything (inc spells)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean the attributes - str, etcsomeone advised me not to spend skill points on them as they didn't help much --- I assumed you'd be able to buy them up as you ;level.wouldn't I want to skill them up for item reqs?edit: also, I see some passive skills grant crit bonus to spells, and some just grant crit bonus.do the nonspecific ones just apply to weapons, or everything (inc spells)?
Yes you will need attributes to cover gear requirements. You will pick up plenty of attributes as you progress through the skill tree as you are forced at times to take them to get to new groups of nodes. Also your gear and weapons all have a chance to increase your attributes. I was the one who mentioned you want to minimize those +10 nodes because they don't build your character very much. Preplanning out the tree where you limit those +10's will help. You can't avoid them totally obviously. Taking advatage of the +30 nodes in 1 skill point is obviously much more valuable then spending 3 skill points on +10's. Can you give an example of a non specific skill so we can answer better?

I mean the attributes - str, etcsomeone advised me not to spend skill points on them as they didn't help much --- I assumed you'd be able to buy them up as you ;level.wouldn't I want to skill them up for item reqs?edit: also, I see some passive skills grant crit bonus to spells, and some just grant crit bonus.do the nonspecific ones just apply to weapons, or everything (inc spells)?
Yes you will need attributes to cover gear requirements. You will pick up plenty of attributes as you progress through the skill tree as you are forced at times to take them to get to new groups of nodes. Also your gear and weapons all have a chance to increase your attributes. I was the one who mentioned you want to minimize those +10 nodes because they don't build your character very much. Preplanning out the tree where you limit those +10's will help. You can't avoid them totally obviously. Taking advatage of the +30 nodes in 1 skill point is obviously much more valuable then spending 3 skill points on +10's. Can you give an example of a non specific skill so we can answer better?
I just mean the ones that say 'crit bonus' -- at first I figured that covered everything.I see some that specifically mention spell crit chance, so now I'm wondering if the first one excludes spells.

I just mean the ones that say 'crit bonus' -- at first I figured that covered everything.I see some that specifically mention spell crit chance, so now I'm wondering if the first one excludes spells.
Read here for more info. Choose the subset of skills you are interested in and they should provide extra information. For example "Critical Strike" is slightly different from "Critical Strike for Spells""Critical Strike" passives will affect all attacks and skills and there are other specific passive which affect the crits of spells, dual wield, etc http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Passive_Skills

ok, so I'm a lvl 8 witch, and I put all my points in the mana branch.

I was thinking of working my way over to the dex/ranger side to pick up dex bonuses and crits, but I just found the iron reflexes way down there, so maybe I should work down that way?

there are a million skills on there, so any suggestions for cool ones to look at in that area, or suggested directions?

also, is there a skill to stop them from crit'ing you?

I got frozen by that freeze boss and they killed me already. :thumbdown:

ok, so I'm a lvl 8 witch, and I put all my points in the mana branch.I was thinking of working my way over to the dex/ranger side to pick up dex bonuses and crits, but I just found the iron reflexes way down there, so maybe I should work down that way?there are a million skills on there, so any suggestions for cool ones to look at in that area, or suggested directions?also, is there a skill to stop them from crit'ing you?I got frozen by that freeze boss and they killed me already. :thumbdown:
Best advice is to plan it out in advance. There are many tools you can use to compare various builds to see which one is better for your goals. Use the first link to make your build and the second link to see all the data and stats from said build. Repeat the procedure for different paths through the skill tree and comparehttp://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-treehttp://www.exilepro.com/build-summary

OK day farming I picked up enough to trade for 3 chaos. I also traded for several arctic gems, and made a nice profit off them. People are so silly when it comes to the new stuff. Cyclone, arctic gems. They will pay out the nose for them.

OK day farming I picked up enough to trade for 3 chaos. I also traded for several arctic gems, and made a nice profit off them. People are so silly when it comes to the new stuff. Cyclone, arctic gems. They will pay out the nose for them.
What arctic gems? I had one drop today.

What arctic gems? I had one drop today.
Since he is talking about new, i assume he means Arctic Armor which was just added with the new release.

Sounds like the next release will help the melee builds as it introduces 4 new support gems, 3 of which are said to help create strong melee characters.

These weekly releases are so perfect. Just enough new stuff, bug fixes and features to keep things moving at such a great pace.

For you guys that party for farming, there is a new feature/change that makes it important to stay close to the group in the level.

Item drops from monsters are now calculated based on the number of players nearby (13 metres - around six tiles, which is approximately a screen) rather than the number in the instance. The quantity of drops is based on the minimum of the number of players who were around at the start and end of the fight. This means that if you spawn a boss alone before bringing in friends to help (or if the friends leave during the fight) then it will only drop enough items for one person.

For you guys that party for farming, there is a new feature/change that makes it important to stay close to the group in the level. Item drops from monsters are now calculated based on the number of players nearby (13 metres - around six tiles, which is approximately a screen) rather than the number in the instance. The quantity of drops is based on the minimum of the number of players who were around at the start and end of the fight. This means that if you spawn a boss alone before bringing in friends to help (or if the friends leave during the fight) then it will only drop enough items for one person.
interesting. I only farm for xp. YOu will only get your feelings hurt when you see your exalted get carted away by someone else.

For you guys that party for farming, there is a new feature/change that makes it important to stay close to the group in the level. Item drops from monsters are now calculated based on the number of players nearby (13 metres - around six tiles, which is approximately a screen) rather than the number in the instance. The quantity of drops is based on the minimum of the number of players who were around at the start and end of the fight. This means that if you spawn a boss alone before bringing in friends to help (or if the friends leave during the fight) then it will only drop enough items for one person.
interesting. I only farm for xp. YOu will only get your feelings hurt when you see your exalted get carted away by someone else.
I have only partied once. Are you saying the new changes to the timer and loot system are still not working? They seemed like solid ideas on paper.

Anything that says "Critical strike chance" "Global chance to critical strike" or "Critical damage multiplier" applies to all things, attacks and spells.Anything that says "Critical strike..." chance or multiplier with "insert weapon or spell here" means that it only modifies your global chance/multiplier with that given weapon or spell.Other important distinctions might be:-"attacks" are not "spells", bow skills like lightning arrow or melee skills like cleave are "attacks". Skills like freezing pulse or fireball however are "spells". So anything that says it works with attacks will likely not work with spells, for instance the Life Gain on Hit support gem only works on attacks.-"Increased" or "Reduced" means additive, "More" means multiplicative. This is important because I believe all damage passives are additive and some support gems increase damage by a multiplicative value, such as the Weapon Elemental Damage(x1.8), Melee Physical(x1.5), Melee Physical While on Full Life(x1.5) and Concentrated Effect(x1.7). My current build I'm working on takes advantage of three of these and should scale my damage ridiculously.Ground Slam w/ Melee Physical, Melee Physical on Full Life, Concentrated Effect, Faster Attacks, Increased Area of Effect.

I have only partied once. Are you saying the new changes to the timer and loot system are still not working? They seemed like solid ideas on paper.
I am saying they are better, but if you are partying and killing bad guys all over the place it is easy to miss out on something good, and have someone still take it. They added a longer timer and blacked out the item to other players until that timer is past and then it is a FFA. You still can miss out on a lot of good stuff. Like I said it is great to party for the xp, but if you are farming for gear and gems it is best done alone. Or, if you can trust some people that is the best way since the drops and xp will be greater. But, GL finding people that wont loot you.

I am saying they are better, but if you are partying and killing bad guys all over the place it is easy to miss out on something good, and have someone still take it. They added a longer timer and blacked out the item to other players until that timer is past and then it is a FFA. You still can miss out on a lot of good stuff. Like I said it is great to party for the xp, but if you are farming for gear and gems it is best done alone. Or, if you can trust some people that is the best way since the drops and xp will be greater. But, GL finding people that wont loot you.
If I group to farm gear its with someone on my friends list. I group all the time to rush quests and areas and go in knowing i do not care about loot at all.

If I group to farm gear its with someone on my friends list. I group all the time to rush quests and areas and go in knowing i do not care about loot at all.
Yep. I powered through Act 2 last night in about an hour after jumping around between groups. :nerd:

Yep. I powered through Act 2 last night in about an hour after jumping around between groups. :nerd:
I find act 2 to be the best act to group hop in.You have the luxury of not having to join Chamber of Sins groups until they get to the third floor, never have to walk through dark forest to get to Weavers or Western, or Bandit groups until they are at Alira/Kraityn.Although act 3 isn't bad either, I typically unlock sewers solo get the first two busts and the sewer waypoint, join a party for battlefront or Solaris and backtrack to marketplace for the third. I'll destroy the blockage in the sewers, take the WP back to town and join a party in Lunaris 3.

Holy crap - tried doing a little battlefront and got the crap kicked out of me by that one elite captain. :hot: Twice.

Holy crap - tried doing a little battlefront and got the crap kicked out of me by that one elite captain. :hot: Twice.
Lightning thorns, the most overpowered thing against melee.
Get helm called fairgraves tricorne. nice light res and immune to shock. they are very cheap and well worth having for BF and farming the ledge (dont have to worry about the totem boss at all). https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/117315/page/1

What a difference a build (change) makes, I used 10 refund points so I could effectively get 5 more HP nodes as well as Eldritch Battery for my HC Shadow Lightning Arrow build and now I have like 30% more HP and 2x as much available mana after casting Clarity + Anger + Discipline (w/ Inner Force). Previously I was only running Clarity + Anger and after a shot or two of LA had to switch to a much lower mana cost in Frenzy before having to start potting. Now I can shoot LA + mana leach + life on hit + chain + LMP almost continuously.

current build

end game

Reason I am playing HC is I am seeing a lot of people selling all of their SC gear when their HC character dies for HC currency but for a fraction (like 1:20 - 1:50 or so) of what the gear would cost in SC dollars. So instead of grinding for 20-50 exalts on SC to attain the same gear I could get it for only a few HC exalts.

I'm lvl 18 and merveil just beat my ### down pretty badly.

is that normal or am I terrible?
How many times have you died so far?Bring up chat window and type /deaths
twice.the first time was maybe the very first area when one of the first couple named guys froze me and I got swarmed.

then just now --- I didn't expect merveil to be such a badass.

got her with some cheese the second time around, though.

she was pretty tough, initially, because there are no minions for zombies and potions.

ACT 2!!

me, so far

I'm lvl 18 and merveil just beat my ### down pretty badly.

is that normal or am I terrible?
twice.the first time was maybe the very first area when one of the first couple named guys froze me and I got swarmed.

then just now --- I didn't expect merveil to be such a badass.

got her with some cheese the second time around, though.

she was pretty tough, initially, because there are no minions for zombies and potions.

ACT 2!!

me, so far
If you only died twice in 18 levels on your very first play through, you are doing well. I died I think ~15 times in Act 1 on my first character.

What a difference a build (change) makes, I used 10 refund points so I could effectively get 5 more HP nodes as well as Eldritch Battery for my HC Shadow Lightning Arrow build and now I have like 30% more HP and 2x as much available mana after casting Clarity + Anger + Discipline (w/ Inner Force). Previously I was only running Clarity + Anger and after a shot or two of LA had to switch to a much lower mana cost in Frenzy before having to start potting. Now I can shoot LA + mana leach + life on hit + chain + LMP almost continuously.

current build

end game

Reason I am playing HC is I am seeing a lot of people selling all of their SC gear when their HC character dies for HC currency but for a fraction (like 1:20 - 1:50 or so) of what the gear would cost in SC dollars. So instead of grinding for 20-50 exalts on SC to attain the same gear I could get it for only a few HC exalts.
So can you go back and forth between HC and regular? Can you bring your HC gear back with you? Tell me more about this HC stuff. Are the items better? Gems/Gear/Weapons? Are the ladies hotter?

So what level is there no drop off with currency again? I'm trying to figure out where I want to farm. I'm getting pissed at that **** Perpetuo or whatever that stupid ape is at city of Sarn. He hates me to have xp.

So what level is there no drop off with currency again? I'm trying to figure out where I want to farm. I'm getting pissed at that **** Perpetuo or whatever that stupid ape is at city of Sarn. He hates me to have xp.
Level 66 anything above that it doesn't matter. You can be level 99 and still not get anything taken away if you do the higher level maps. IIRC

current build

end game

So can you go back and forth between HC and regular? Can you bring your HC gear back with you? Tell me more about this HC stuff. Are the items better? Gems/Gear/Weapons? Are the ladies hotter?
Different "realms" you cannot go between, well you can go from HC > Softcore (SC) when you die.HC you get 1 life, when you die, your character and everything in his inventory gets moved to SC realm.

Economy is different, much fewer items available for purchase on HC, certain things are more expensive on HC, other things more expensive on SC (due to inflation).

Level 66 anything above that it doesn't matter. You can be level 99 and still not get anything taken away if you do the higher level maps. IIRC
Correct. Here is the exact wording from the mechanics thread============

Drop Rates

There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%.

So if you are level 30 in a level 20 area, you will see 20% less currency item drops on average:

2.5*(30-(20+2))=20

A level 30 character in a level 28 area will see no penalty.

Currency item Drops are not increased or decreased in this way when fighting in areas above your level.

For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area.

There are two modifiers that affect drop rates in the game, increased item rarity, and increased item quantity.

There are three potential sources of these modifiers:

- the player (skills, passives, gear etc.)

- monsters (such as bosses and champions)

- Party bonuses

Modifiers from the player stack additively with each other, and are subject to diminishing returns.

Modifiers from the party bonus and monsters stack additively with each other, and are not subject to diminishing returns.

The total player bonus stacks multiplicatively with the total party & monster bonus.

Increased Item Rarity

Increased Item Rarity % modifiers increase the chances of an item being magic, rare, or unique. For example with a total of +100% increased item rarity, you'd get twice as many magic items, twice as many rares and twice as many uniques from normal enemies.

This modifier has no effect on the number or type of currency items, scrolls, or gems that drop.

When in a party, only the modifier from the player who lands the killing blow on an enemy is counted.

I hate that boss monkey with the intensity of 1000 burning suns. And all his monkey brethren as well.

I hate that boss monkey with the intensity of 1000 burning suns. And all his monkey brethren as well.
Is there a considerable difference in loot that would drop for me in terms of potential currency and linked items between the milk run of Fellshire at lvl 59 & the harder Sarn at 62 is the question.

For those that didn't see it:

The 0.10.5 patch, which is due at the same time next week, is different than our normal weekly content patches because instead of having a new active skill, it has three new support gems! Two of these specifically augment melee skills and can be used to create some devastating character builds. All four of the new Unique items in 0.10.5 are currently scheduled to be Diamond uniques.
These were hinted at a long time and will drastically change the way melee works in PoE. The only melee support they leaked about a month ago was the cleave support gem. It gives non-AoE melee attacks an AoE effect. What the other two are is a mystery, but Id wager they will change melee for the better in a huge way.Also, FOUR new uniques, I'm pretty confident one of them is a flask or map, so thats kind of meh, but this content schedule is huge.Last thing that I didn't include in the excerpt was they introduced "Daily Deals" to the microtransaction shop, every day something will be on sale, right now the Radiant Weapon effect is on sale for 95 credits, it was 150 before, so thats like 40% reduced? Not bad for a daily sale. Patiently awaiting stash tab pack daily sale.

I'm lvl 18 and merveil just beat my ### down pretty badly.is that normal or am I terrible?
78Level 52, Cruel ACT III
78 for me too at level 52! LolI am behind you though, as I am still on Cruel Act 2 so I will likely have many more by the time I get to Cruel Act 3
Need any help in ACT II? I could use someone trustworthy in ACT III. ;)Although, I don't see you online often, so it seems like we play different hours.

Users who are viewing this thread