What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots are the best team in the NFL right now (1 Viewer)

Pats had a great run, but that team, like the Eagles, are clearly on the backside of the success mountain.
I wouldn't be so sure. They still have the best coach in the league, arguably the best QB in the league (who isn't even 30 yet), a great young defensive line, top-notch understanding and management of the salary cap, and top-notch ownership. Clearly this isn't the same team as it has been the past couple of years, but to say their run is over may be a bit extreme, in my opinion. I could easily see them right back among the league's elite by this time next season, when they won't have such a difficult schedule and (hopefully) won't suffer the catastrophic number of injuries that they've suffered this season.
Great post. This team, healthy, is an instant favorite.
In the words of HomeyI don't think so.

But it's more a semantics quibble..."instant favorite"? Hell to the no. "Credible contender"? Sure. But again, that depends on a lot of the personel coming back AND performing up to their 2003-2004 standards.

As for people who want to see the Pats fall...well, let's just say I rather have somebody new win. No disrespect meant (but then again feeling disrespected is a hallmark of the Pats and their fans so I guess it doesn't matter what I say).

But it's more a semantics quibble..."instant favorite"? Hell to the no. "Credible contender"? Sure.
:thumbup: :goodposting:BTW, I believe a healthy Pats team this past year would have been a "contender" but still on the road in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Without their health and in the current state of the defense? They will get into the AFC playoffs over a few teams that are more deserving simply b/c they will win the AFC East.That is why I see them as closer to the 8-8 post-SB Pats than the winning team of last year.

#1 Left tackle, #1 center, #1 right tackle, #1 running back, #2 running back, #1 tight end, #2 starting wide receiver, #3 wide receiver, #1 defensive end, #1 inside linebacker, #2 cornerback, #3 cornerback, #4 cornerback, #5 cornerback, #1 strong safety, #2 strong safety.That's who the Patriots have been without. Couple that with their schedule, and I defy you to name me one single team in the NFL that could even be putting up the mediocre 6-5 record New England has.Add in the fact that this is very much a transition year following the departure of both coordinators, and I'm really not seeing how you don't think this team can bounce back next year with better health and an easier schedule.

#1 Left tackle, #1 center, #1 right tackle, #1 running back, #2 running back, #1 tight end, #2 starting wide receiver, #3 wide receiver, #1 defensive end, #1 inside linebacker, #2 cornerback, #3 cornerback, #4 cornerback, #5 cornerback, #1 strong safety, #2 strong safety.

That's who the Patriots have been without. Couple that with their schedule, and I defy you to name me one single team in the NFL that could even be putting up the mediocre 6-5 record New England has.

Add in the fact that this is very much a transition year following the departure of both coordinators, and I'm really not seeing how you don't think this team can bounce back next year with better health and an easier schedule.
that's because you are a Pats fan - of course you don't see it.They have NOT been without all those players all year - the running game STUNK the first few games of the year when they were healthy - the D was getting scored on more than my sister - when healthy. To me, they looked flat and on the decline when they were at full strength.

You can't simply patch up the loss of Crommel and Weis by saying Belichek's the bomb. Dillon will now be another year older and having spent almost the whole year injured - I think he's on the decline of his career. IMO, their run is over - Brady is great - their defense is likely to be healthy, but not likely to have the "magic" it had three of the last four years. That D always was able to get mpore out of itself than its individual talent had - Romeo Crommel. He's gone. Without a top-notch D, the Pats of next year will look very similar to the Pats of this year.

You are not objective on this - nor do I believe you should be - but I think next year, they'll be lucky to get to 10 wins against the vastly improved AFC and a more competitive AFC East. Will they be "contendors" - probably - will they be favorites? I doubt we'll see the Pats as SB favorites for a while.

I remember a 3-7 pats team making the SB in 1996, after looking like crap. I will not count them out. Is there work to do? Do they have to step it up? Yes, but I've seen steady improvement over the last 3 weeks. They'll be a better team in the playoffs. The line play was much improved this week.The Pats team in 2001 was actually 5-5 before they got it together. And the follow up year was 9-7, after beating the 'fins in game 16. They missed the playoffs on a tie-breaker. They also knocked the fins out of the playoffs that year with that win. Are they done? NOpe. I see them finishing no worse than 10-6, and 11-5 isn't out of the question. Take it for what it's worth, but I don't think anybody is hoping to draw the Pats in the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread