What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
Nothing new if true, BB loves to take every advantage he can.
Nothing new if completely false either, so much butthurt haters.
Hasn't won anything in a decade.....so there's not too deep of a track record to go on.

You NEP fans are delicate. You guys seem to love that BB is a ruthless head coach.......but when things like this come up, you want to silence any critiquing of his ruthlessness. Own his attitude and philosophies on pushing the line, it's served you well.
I'm an Eagles fan and I'm not 100% sure but I believe his record is better post spygate if I'm not mistaken
Plz don't introduce logic into this ####-filled hornets nest.
This thread is just a waste of time. I too am an Eagles fan and I can cry, whine and go back to the 2004 season when the Pats beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl but again it's just a waste of energy. It just makes them feel better about their own team, lifts them up I guess and drives them to think more about their next season. Whatever...I don't have to read it and to each is own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasn't won anything in a decade.....so there's not too deep of a track record to go on.

You NEP fans are delicate. You guys seem to love that BB is a ruthless head coach.......but when things like this come up, you want to silence any critiquing of his ruthlessness. Own his attitude and philosophies on pushing the line, it's served you well.
I'm an Eagles fan and I'm not 100% sure but I believe his record is better post spygate if I'm not mistaken
They've done very well in the regular and post season.....but they haven't won the big one in a decade. The NFL fanbase almost universally evaluates individuals and teams on Super Bowl success.... so I'm not going to give the NEPs any credibility for playing "almost" good enough to win for a decade.
There's a lot of teams that havent won the big one in 10 years

There's also a ton that dont average around 12 wins per years since then as well

Thats not almost good...thats great and any team would want that. Every one of them.

proninja said:
I think the story here isn't so much that they got caught cheating against the Colts, where it didn't decide the game. The story is that they are most likely still cheating, and if they do so in a game where it doesn't matter, it's pretty much a dead guarantee they've been doing it in close games where it does matter.
That's pretty much where I come down on it. I'm not naive enough to think that most, if not all teams are trying to get an edge wherever possible. However, the kid in me still wants to believe that NFL football is about lining up in front of the guy across the line of scrimmage and seeing who the "better man" is. Belichick has already shown himself to be an A+ angle shooter. I can't even imagine how many tiny edges he's gained by methods (legal or not) other than "beat the man in front of you." It's part of what makes him a great coach, but he's also shown an indifference towards the rules, to put it kindly. It offends my sensibilities in terms of violating what I love about the game.

I'm not calling for him or the organization to be pilloried in the town square here, but it is the major reason I root against the Patriots, and I highly doubt I'm alone in that thinking.
Should be required reading for everyone north of NYC.

Kravitz is on WEEI now with D&C.

"I got a call about it around 12:30am, and at first I didn't want to run with it because I thought it was outlandish, but then I thought to myself 'Well everyone thought the Patriots taping practices was outlandish too.'"

Callahan immediately responds with "Well they weren't taping practices Bob, that story turned out to be false."

Kravitz: "Well whatever."
:lmao: :lmao:

topnotch journalism from the midwestern metropolis

my theory is kravitz felt the colts weren't already embarrassed enough so he threw another layer on

They've done very well in the regular and post season.....but they haven't won the big one in a decade. The NFL fanbase almost universally evaluates individuals and teams on Super Bowl success.... so I'm not going to give the NEPs any credibility for playing "almost" good enough to win for a decade.

There's also a ton that dont average around 12 wins per years since then as well

Thats not almost good...thats great and any team would want that. Every one of them.
Eagles went to 5 NFC Championships....and per all the WIP I listen to.....there's not many people who call up and say that that's an acceptable period of success in the teams history.

Very few fans look at a period of regular season success followed by playoff failures as an acceptable thing.

proninja said:
I think the story here isn't so much that they got caught cheating against the Colts, where it didn't decide the game. The story is that they are most likely still cheating, and if they do so in a game where it doesn't matter, it's pretty much a dead guarantee they've been doing it in close games where it does matter.
That's pretty much where I come down on it. I'm not naive enough to think that most, if not all teams are trying to get an edge wherever possible. However, the kid in me still wants to believe that NFL football is about lining up in front of the guy across the line of scrimmage and seeing who the "better man" is. Belichick has already shown himself to be an A+ angle shooter. I can't even imagine how many tiny edges he's gained by methods (legal or not) other than "beat the man in front of you." It's part of what makes him a great coach, but he's also shown an indifference towards the rules, to put it kindly. It offends my sensibilities in terms of violating what I love about the game.

I'm not calling for him or the organization to be pilloried in the town square here, but it is the major reason I root against the Patriots, and I highly doubt I'm alone in that thinking.
Nah....EvilGrins just a hater who's jealous that his team hasn't had any success!.......

proninja said:

I'll be waiting for the story to break about belichick shooting his team up with 'roids to gain an advantage instead of beating the man across from him.

:lol:

proninja said:

Nah....EvilGrins just a hater who's jealous that his team hasn't had any success!.......
hater angle is all pats fans have now as comments to their cheating organization and coach. Classless organization is too good of a word to describe this team and their coach and owner.

Eagles went to 5 NFC Championships....and per all the WIP I listen to.....there's not many people who call up and say that that's an acceptable period of success in the teams history.

Very few fans look at a period of regular season success followed by playoff failures as an acceptable thing.
And when you listen to WIP do they often talk about all the SB's we have?

Any team in the NFL would like to average 12 wins over a 10 years span. There isnt a single coach, at any level, who would say otherwise. Yes, the main goal is to win a SB but lets not be stupid and asct like 12 wins over that span is somehow small.

BustedKnuckles said:
proninja said:

hater angle is all pats fans have now as comments to their cheating organization and coach. Classless organization is too good of a word to describe this team and their coach and owner.
well you ARE on here publicly stating they cheated in this game ...without any proof yet...just allegations...you look like a bitter Colts fan who`s team didnt just lose ...they got CRUSHED in every phase of the game ....btw im sorry for your loss
Not bitter at all, the Pats cheating had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. The Pats are clearly a better team right now, but their cheating just adds another reason to hate them and I clearly hate them. Their cheating in the past, regardless whether they are guilty of this, solidifies their place in NFL history. As for the Colts, we will have 15 years of Andrew Luck, whereas your era is in its twilight.

In other news, the Colts are filing charges alleging that the Patriots used generic fabric softener on the towels in the Colts's locker room.

SO many Pats haters are such losers, literally and figuratively, it just has to be said. Go to Community College or something, volunteer. It's too bad because it's really wonderful over here- and every time Tom Brady shows he's the class of the league on and off the field it seems that only provokes more ire. De-flated footballs lol, 45-7... lol.
jealousy is a horrible emotion...and it drives the majority of the posts in regards to the Patriots. Fans of other teams can't fathom an organization being so damn good for such a long time.
Fans of teams who already knew this:

Packers in the 60s; Steeler in the 70s and 40ers in the 80s.

Stop pretending you're inventing the wheel.

Super Bowl >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> draft picks

Not trying to get dragged into obvious trolling nor I am going to try to defend the Patriots in some of their scandals but putting the illegal formation under evidence of cheating is bananas.

1. It wasn't illegal.

2. Even it was illegal it is a penalty. It would be like calling a team who jumped offsides and didn't get caught, cheating.

At first glance this seems like not that big of a deal. Luck and his WR's had same squishy balls. Like growing the grass long to suit your team's style.

The fact that it's the Patriots makes it more of an issue to me. I like the Pats but come on fellas.

SO many Pats haters are such losers, literally and figuratively, it just has to be said. Go to Community College or something, volunteer. It's too bad because it's really wonderful over here- and every time Tom Brady shows he's the class of the league on and off the field it seems that only provokes more ire. De-flated footballs lol, 45-7... lol.
I think you are missing the point. It is not that the cheating helped the win, its that (if it is true) the organization is so sketchy that they feel like they needed to cheat. Its classless. It isn't like they were up by 30 and did something that would have no effect on the game. This is something that they would have done going into the game to get an ILLEGAL advantage if true. So stating the score is just stupid.
Nixon also oversaw the burglary at the Watergate even though he was going to whip McGovern's ### in the election.

proninja said:

LOL. Dude, do yo realize what a whiny little ##### you sound like? Your team got blown out of the building. Andrew Luck could have been using Nerf footballs and you still would've got your ### kicked. Why? Because my son's midget football team could run for 200 yards against your poor excuse of a defense.And as for classless organizations, your Organization's history in Indianapolis began with perhaps the most classless move in NFL history, moving under cover of night and abandoning a city steeped in history and support for the franchise. Then you bailed on the perhaps the greatest QB in history when he was injured, and followed it up with the most shameful example of intentional sucking to get a draft pick in the history of sports. Class all the way LOL.

At first glance this seems like not that big of a deal. Luck and his WR's had same squishy balls. Like growing the grass long to suit your team's style.

The fact that it's the Patriots makes it more of an issue to me. I like the Pats but come on fellas.
There's WAAAAYYYY too much talk about squishy balls. I'm outta here...

Let me get this straight...even if the balls were under inflated, how does that help the Patriots more than the Colts? Easier for Blount to hold onto the ball?

NE attempted 35 passes and rushed it 40 times. Colts passed it 33 times and rushed it 19 times.

Had the Colts not been so pathetic on offense, and sustained drives, Luck would have easily thrown it another 15-20 times.

Sourgrapes, IMO. Maybe the reporter should do a piece on Harbawawawa...and they can cry about the big, bad Patriots. Not nice, Bellichik! Not nice, Brady!

Ha - another SB, another bunch of crybabies.

What I would be more afraid of as a Patriots fan, is on the off chance something is found, Goodell (after being called out so many times for being soft and punishing people appropriately) over-reacts and slams the organization. You know just to try and save the league from having a tarnished image, blah, blah, blah....

If a DB gets away with a pass interferance is he now labeled a cheater as well?
No.
But he cheated and the officials didnt catch it.
Is he a cheater if the refs did catch it?
Cheating is cheating right? Or is it different cause one person is good at it?

His dislike comes from his sucess. That's the very definitaion of being a "hater"...
Players are penalized for infractions on the field (or the refs blow the call) - and unless they are dirty/cheap shot type penalties, the players are generally not considered "cheaters". Most PI penalties are inadvertent in that the defensive back is trying to break up the play but goes too far with his contact. When the PI is blatant and done because the defensive back knows he is beat, then the player takes a calculated risk that maybe he'll get away with a grab - perhaps he then crosses the line to become a "cheater", but there's still an inherent and subtle difference in doing that versus deflating a game ball to give one an advantage or taping and trying to steal signals (or taking steroids or other "cheating scandals that don't involve the Patriots). Clearly you see a difference.

I don't think this makes Belichick the devil or anything - but what I've said throughout this thread is that, if it's true, then it further besmirches an organization that already has a bad reputation trying to create an uneven playing field.

Not trying to get dragged into obvious trolling nor I am going to try to defend the Patriots in some of their scandals but putting the illegal formation under evidence of cheating is bananas.

1. It wasn't illegal.

2. Even it was illegal it is a penalty. It would be like calling a team who jumped offsides and didn't get caught, cheating.
I agree with this 100%. If anything the refs were the ones to blame for not making the announcement of Vereen being ineligeable. He clearly reported himself to the referee.

Let me get this straight...even if the balls were under inflated, how does that help the Patriots more than the Colts? Easier for Blount to hold onto the ball?

NE attempted 35 passes and rushed it 40 times. Colts passed it 33 times and rushed it 19 times.

Had the Colts not been so pathetic on offense, and sustained drives, Luck would have easily thrown it another 15-20 times.

Sourgrapes, IMO. Maybe the reporter should do a piece on Harbawawawa...and they can cry about the big, bad Patriots. Not nice, Bellichik! Not nice, Brady!

Ha - another SB, another bunch of crybabies.
Again, patriots fans are just missing it.

Its not that this cheat helped them win the game. Its that they CHEATED to gain an advantage. If this is true.

If I write answers on my arm for a test or copy text from an article and use it on my own paper, it doesn't matter if I would have passed the test with flying colors without the cheating. What matters is that I attempted to cheat. I still would lose credit for my score.

If they cheated and that gave them no advantage or they didn't need it then they are even bigger ######S for cheating in a game where it wasn't needed and taking a great win away from the players on the field who bust their butts for it.

1. It wasn't illegal.

I agree with this 100%. If anything the refs were the ones to blame for not making the announcement of Vereen being ineligeable. He clearly reported himself to the referee.
:confused:

1. It wasn't illegal.

They have to announce when a player not wearing a receivers number (like an o-lineman) is eligible. Don't they need to do so when a player like Vereen lines up but ineligible?

Any team in the NFL would like to average 12 wins over a 10 years span. There isnt a single coach, at any level, who would say otherwise. Yes, the main goal is to win a SB but lets not be stupid and asct like 12 wins over that span is somehow small.
I disagree....averaging 12 wins a season, making the Super Bowl twice during that time and playing in the AFC Championship game 6 times during that period and not winning a Super Bowl isn't an "accomplishment" to brag about. Is it nice? Sure. Does it show stability in the FO/Coaching Staff and talent on the field?.....Sure.....but it's more of a dubious honor than a bragged about one.

1. It wasn't illegal.

They have to announce when a player not wearing a receivers number (like an o-lineman) is eligible. Don't they need to do so when a player like Vereen lines up but ineligible?
From all reports, the Refs did announce 34 as ineligible. If I recall from the referee's transcript after the game, on the 3rd play from that formation, he specifically told the Raven's D "don't cover 34"

Nothing illegal about the formation under the rules.

1. It wasn't illegal.

I wish the Lions had the same desire to win as the Pats. The Pats get every edge the can. Although I think they would have crushed the Colts with Brady throwing over inflated beach balls yesterday.

I disagree....averaging 12 wins a season, making the Super Bowl twice during that time and playing in the AFC Championship game 6 times during that period and not winning a Super Bowl isn't an "accomplishment" to brag about. Is it nice? Sure. Does it show stability in the FO/Coaching Staff and talent on the field?.....Sure.....but it's more of a dubious honor than a bragged about one.
:lmao:

ok

"I got a call about it around 12:30am, and at first I didn't want to run with it because I thought it was outlandish, but then I thought to myself 'Well everyone thought the Patriots taping practices was outlandish too.'"

Callahan immediately responds with "Well they weren't taping practices Bob, that story turned out to be false."

wait, what? is that the party line now? please forgive, i haven't done a TON of reading about spygate but I thought it was considered as fact now that the patriots had recorded opposing defensive coordinators... and that said tapes ended up in the hands of the NFL, who then proceeded to give Belichick max fine, patriots lose draft pick, etc. etc.

So in what universe did the patriots taping their opponents '[turn] out to be false'?

As a Colts fan, I agree with this. The Colts dropped the ball with Manning and I hope they don't do the same with Luck.

1. It wasn't illegal.

The refs announced on the PA system who was eligible and who was ineligible, and from what I heard from people that went to the game, they even announced who had to be covered and who didn't at least on one of the plays.

As for the THEY CHEATED argument against the Pats for whatever they have been accused of doing over the years, what makes a team be called cheaters? For example . . .

- Not disclosing injuries properly

- Knowing a player is taking PEDs and playing him anyway

- Turning the heat or air conditioning on when a team is attempting a FG

- Not adhering to the salary cap properly

- Not adhering to the practice schedule requirements as agreed upon by the NFLPA

- Coaching your DBs to grab receivers and live with a few penalties

Are any of those cheating? Only some of them? Which ones are major? Which ones should be ignored?

wait, what? is that the party line now? please forgive, i haven't done a TON of reading about spygate but I thought it was considered as fact now that the patriots had recorded opposing defensive coordinators... and that said tapes ended up in the hands of the NFL, who then proceeded to give Belichick max fine, patriots lose draft pick, etc. etc.

So in what universe did the patriots taping their opponents '[turn] out to be false'?
The Pats were accused of taping the Rams walkthrough/practice just prior to the SB in 2002. Except no such tape has ever come to light and there does not even appear to be any evidence of its existence. Yet to this day the Pats have been crucified for taping that practice. Marshall Faulk brings it up frequently and a story ran in the Indy newspaper last week in a breakdown of all the things the Pats were found guilty of (and that was near the top of the list). The entire story has been retracted, yet the bad PR remai9ns.

Users who are viewing this thread