What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (1 Viewer)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
"As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker DQwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/
And this is why you can't believe any of the "news" that's been reported so far.

Because it constantly changes.

"As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker DQwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/
WHAT????? 10 balls were within 1 psi of 12.5????? WTF?
makes sense that that would be the first ball they tested, which gave the other balls more time to come back to their original inflation...

but, as I said earlier -- wgaf
obviously, you don't so I don't understand why you are still posting this. Clearly, some people gaf.
I'm posting it so salty trolls, such as yourself, don't misinterpret it as some kind of 'defense' of whatever, as i don't see the point in defending nonsensical claims.

clearly some people like to troll messageboards to entertain themselves, pathetic though that might be
Member name Posts shader 190 12punch 118 moleculo 115 Deamon 112 Run It Up 109 rockaction 101 General Tso 95 ROCKET 92 Dr. Octopus 90 Anarchy99 90 devouredbychaos 89

The bolded are all defending the Patriots like someone insulted their mother. But the "haters" are obsessed, trolling, etc.? Oh my. :lmao: :lmao:
I wonder if there's actually a method for information to penetrate a certain type of person's head, or if they're hopeless.

maybe even more repetition, maybe all caps, or jumbo font?

Bellichick stated he welcomed the investigation because there was a lot of things going on(paraphrasing).Sure sounded like he was implying another tyeam was involved in this somehow. Anyone catch that?

the league office now faces even more criticism for a clumsy sting operation that possibly will end up being a swing and a miss. Surely, much of that criticism will be directed privately at the league office from the Patriots. Complicating matters for the NFL is that the bat initially was swung by Mike Kensil, a former employee of the Jets with a reputation among the Patriots for being an agitator. (Kensil’s father, Jim, served as president of the Jets for 10 years from the late 1970s to the late 1980s.) And so on the same day that the tampering charges filed by the Patriots against the Jets over Darrelle Revis became the latest chapter in a longstanding feud between the franchises, the tentacles of acrimony between the two franchises found a way to erupt into a brouhaha unlike many the NFL ever has seen
BUT WGAF

Bellichick stated he welcomed the investigation because there was a lot of things going on(paraphrasing).Sure sounded like he was implying another tyeam was involved in this somehow. Anyone catch that?
Nah, I think he meant that he found out that there are a lot of variables in play. He cited many:

Footballs made of leather react differently since leather is not man made

Gauges not 100% accurate

Ball prep of each team varies and thus has varying impact

Weather conditions (temp, rain, wind and other atmospheric conditions)

Where ball is checked (indoors, outdoors)

How long it takes for ball to reach equilibrium when moved from one environment to another

Etc etc

Quoting myself (And Bill)

Old Smiley said:
"We did everything as right as we could do it," Belichick said. "And we welcome the league's investigation into this matter. I think there are a number of things that need to be looked into on a number of levels."
1.) How was Indy sharing all this info between the sideline and the owner's box?

2.) What's with all the back and forth between Indy and the Ravens?

3.) What's up with all the leaks, Roger? You'd almost think you were trying to say things without having said them.

4.) Just where are you anyway, Roger?

1. Arrogance

2. General doosh-baggery

3. arrogance and insubordination
Have no problem admitting this colors who gets the benefit of the doubt and who doesn't for me.
Glad we could find some common ground :) . And fwiw, I am certainly comfortable admitting that if BB weren't the head d-bag of my team I'd probably be a hater too. So really I get why the rest of the country roots against us, really I do. And I wish BB had a different personality and wasn't such tool some times. But if that's what it takes for us to have such a great coach it is a trade-off I can live with....so long as he doesn't cross that line that he says he stays far away since spy gate.

oh yeah, that's exactly what he was suggesting -- wasn't very subtle, either

although, maybe 'parties' would be more appropriate than 'teams'

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/jets-connection-appearing-deflategate-probe

The NFL man on-site to start the investigation in the AFC Championship was Mike Kensil. He is the NFL Vice President of Game Operations. You may remember him as the gentleman John Harbaugh took his frustration out on during the Super Bowl power outage in 2012. Harbaugh later apologized. He does that a lot.

Before rising to the league level, Kensil was the Jets director of operations for nearly 20 years. His tenure overlapped Bill Parcells (and Bill Belichick’s) time with the Jets and he would have been part of the Jets front office incensed by Belichick’s 2000 resignation as Jets head coach.

Kensil’s tenure with the Jets ended in 2006, the same year Belichick disciple Eric Mangini became head coach of the Jets.

Multiple sources have indicated that Kensil is the driving force behind the investigation and that his interest in deflated balls did not begin in January but actually began earlier in the year.

Yeah, it was the former Jets employee with an axe to grind. Selective prosecution based on politics, like I've been saying all along. They dragged the Pats through the mud all week with no information, didn't shut down the misinformation put out there by Mortensen about the balls being under inflated by more than 2 psi, and gave the Seahawks a competitive advantage in the process since the Pats spent all last week on this stupid investigation. I mean, it's not a joke at this point. I actually think an outside organization needs to investigate the NFL.This could actually be the real scandal here, and could result in a major shakeup at the NFL.

Awwww poor poor Patriots don't you hate when a team with no history of cheating is being questioned about what the NFL is investigating to see if their actions were outright cheating?

Oh wait forgot the Patriots under the exact same management has been caught previously so they are less likely to get a benefit of the doubt.

Also I see no point in those fans of the Patriots commenting until the NFL releases their findings and hands down punishment if any. Did I miss something or is your team in the Super Bowl? No matter the findings they will not be forced to forfeit anything...

One last thing the reason people are saying to tar and feather the Patriots is not over nothing as RunItUp would say it's because if they are found guilty essentially there will not be a real punishment likely. I would expect maybe a late round draft pick if that and possibly a fine. Unlike the last Patriot cheating incident the NFL investigated there likely isn't video proof or a paper trail which makes any strong handed punishment likely off limits to be handed down by the NFL.

If the Colts get punished for tampering with the INT ball in order to set up the Pats, I will laugh my butt off.
that really wouldn't make much sense considering it was a colts ball
Maybe I missed something here. If the Colts intercepted the ball, it would have been thrown by Brady, a Patriot, who uses Patriot's balls. What did I miss?
it was reported that brady was using colts balls for a time in teh first half because the refs apparently didn't have a pats back up ball handy, and I'd have to assume took the other pats balls out of play.

anyway, d'qwell said he noticed brady using colts balls.

edit: this came out about 50 pages ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwww poor poor Patriots don't you hate when a team with no history of cheating is being questioned about what the NFL is investigating to see if their actions were outright cheating?

Oh wait forgot the Patriots under the exact same management has been caught previously so they are less likely to get a benefit of the doubt.

Also I see no point in those fans of the Patriots commenting until the NFL releases their findings and hands down punishment if any. Did I miss something or is your team in the Super Bowl? No matter the findings they will not be forced to forfeit anything...

One last thing the reason people are saying to tar and feather the Patriots is not over nothing as RunItUp would say it's because if they are found guilty essentially there will not be a real punishment likely. I would expect maybe a late round draft pick if that and possibly a fine. Unlike the last Patriot cheating incident the NFL investigated there likely isn't video proof or a paper trail which makes any strong handed punishment likely off limits to be handed down by the NFL.
Patently obvious that you haven't read the last 10 pages of this thread and are about 3 days behind in the news cycle. Not only are the Pats apparently innocent, they were likely screwed with a bogus sting operation. Suck on that.

If the Colts get punished for tampering with the INT ball in order to set up the Pats, I will laugh my butt off.
that really wouldn't make much sense considering it was a colts ball
Maybe I missed something here. If the Colts intercepted the ball, it would have been thrown by Brady, a Patriot, who uses Patriot's balls. What did I miss?
it was reported that brady was using colts balls for a time in teh first half because the refs apparently didn't have a pats back up ball handy, and I'd have to assume took the other pats balls out of play.

anyway, d'qwell said he noticed brady using colts balls.

edit: this came out about 50 pages ago
It was later in the half that he noticed the switch. The interception would have been a Patriot ball.

WHAT????? 10 balls were within 1 psi of 12.5????? WTF?I'm so ####### pissed right now it's unbelievable. Tell me folks - where does one go to get his reputation back? Huh?

Goodell needs to shut this ####### monstrosity down on Monday morning. Then he needs to resign on Tuesday morning. Un-#######g-believable they would allow Brady and Belichik to be left twisting in the wind all week like that.
Maybe Goodell and the NFL haven't said anything yet because they have a smoking gun that would totally embarrass the Patriots and put a huge stain on the upcoming Super Bowl . . . .

Ok, just busting your balls there. I agree. Either they have something, or they don't. Let's get it out there. The NFL's handling of this is a travesty and they should/need to be held accountable. Problem is, who is going to do this? ESPN? They have skin in the game. NFL Network? Yeah, right. Any of the other networks that rely on the NFL for ad revenue?

I'm hoping the Patriots use this and are as angry as you are about it. Could be a very powerful motivator.

Innocent my butt. They played with deflated balls, period and the Colts did not. Someone deflated the balls and that someone was 99% probability a member of the Patriots.

10 of 11 balls closer to 1 lb? Wait a minute, I have it under good authority from wdcrob's sources all 11 were 2 lbs low? I call bs.

Innocent my butt. They played with deflated balls, period and the Colts did not. Someone deflated the balls and that someone was 99% probability a member of the Patriots.
We're kind of at the in your face stage of things now. Your brain dead owner tried to play gotcha and blew it big time. Go book a tee time. You got all off season to work on that swing.

This will be the lasting mantra for the masses of idiots across the country. I don't think it's possible going forward to have any type of intelligent dialogue with these types of which there are thousands. WTF even take these people seriously? There are plenty of people who raise good points but sadly this is the norm. Just goes to prove my belief that a good majority of people are idiots who can't provide one independent, intelligent thought.

the league office now faces even more criticism for a clumsy sting operation that possibly will end up being a swing and a miss. Surely, much of that criticism will be directed privately at the league office from the Patriots. Complicating matters for the NFL is that the bat initially was swung by Mike Kensil, a former employee of the Jets with a reputation among the Patriots for being an agitator. (Kensil’s father, Jim, served as president of the Jets for 10 years from the late 1970s to the late 1980s.) And so on the same day that the tampering charges filed by the Patriots against the Jets over Darrelle Revis became the latest chapter in a longstanding feud between the franchises, the tentacles of acrimony between the two franchises found a way to erupt into a brouhaha unlike many the NFL ever has seen
BUT WGAF
I wonder if Kensil was Mort's source the whole time, too.

I forgot he is an Indy fan too, how stupid is that franchise looking with every day that goes by? Talk about embarrassing.

This will be the lasting mantra for the masses of idiots across the country. I don't think it's possible going forward to have any type of intelligent dialogue with these types of which there are thousands. WTF even take these people seriously? There are plenty of people who raise good points but sadly this is the norm. Just goes to prove my belief that a good majority of people are idiots who can't provide one independent, intelligent thought.
What do you do for a living? As far as having intelligent thought, I'll put my occupation and intelligence up against yours any day. Just because I believe someone from the Patriots deflated the balls they used and the Colts didn't have deflated balls, is no reason to get personal.

Just curious... are you old enough to shave yet?

That's not what Belichick said. You probably need to go back and read it again.
"I believe now 100% that I have personally, and we as an organization, have absolutely followed every rule to the letter." - Bill Belichick That's all I need to hear.No way he makes this statement if there was any chance someone manipulated the ball after they were approved for play by NFL officials. The balls were likely slightly under inflated when they were approved for play. This would explain EVERYTHING.Not Cheating.
Exactly. The idiocy of the salty haters current arguments is mind boggling to me because it is clear that the argument should NOT be about "does weather cause psi drop?" (It does) or "why didn't the colts balls drop in psi?" (Maybe they did but stayed in range, maybe they didn't cuz they were prepped outside. Maybe they didn't because they were tampered with to keep them in range...so many possibilities and so little knowledge as to be irrelevant as either a control OR an argument).Rather the salty haters argument SHOULD be (and I suspect soon will be) that BB engaged in a practice that he knew would artificially increase the psi and that this is cheating OR it doesn't matter if he knew or not that the process would artificially increase the psi because ignorance is no excuse and therefore he submitted balls that were either under inflated OR artificially inflated.For the record I am in camp 1 but at least I could understand if someone was arguing intent.....what I can't understand is all the folks in here arguing the physics of weather impact using incomplete or entirely incorrect info. Again, the nfl investigation will run it's course so I am not saying the BB's claims are all I need. What I am saying is that he provide an emphatic and plausible explanation and that the burden of proof lies with the NFL now. And for the record, I felt differently prior to his pressed as it seemed to me that weather could not account for the entirety of the rumored drop in psi
Good post. I agree that very soon the salty haters will shift their argument away from post inspection tampering towards a focus on what the Patriots magically do in the preparation rituals. As if somehow the Pats are doing all their preparation stuff to cause balls to deflate during the game, rather than to improve the texture as Bill said is the focus.Be careful going down this road, unless you are full prepared to also look into what every other NFL team is doing. We know Peyton and Eli are fanatical about ball preparation, to the point that El Manning and the Giants apparently go through a process that spans many weeks and costs a lot of money.What's starting to really irk me about this whole sordid mess is the selective prosecution going on. It's analogous to me calling my local police department and asking them to investigate my neighbor for drug use because of an unsubstantiated rumor I heard. There's no grand jury before a huge trial is launched in the NFL. All you need is an allegation against a team that everyone is sick of. If you disagree, answer this question... Where was the investigation when the Panthers heated the balls on the sidelines, right on national television? Where was the investigation when Aaron Rodgers acknowledged that he and the Packers submit overinflated balls to the refs for pregame inspection hoping some would sneak by? There's no concept of fairness at all in the NFL anymore. None. It's all politics.
Agreed, this is starting to feel very much like a witch hunt. Unfortunately I think BB has himself to blame for it due to:1. Arrogance in the way he treats the media (I love it, but many have been lying in wait for the moment he screws up)

2. General doosh-baggery in ignoring the very clear memo goodell sent regarding taping of signals (and his follow-on hair-splitting argument that he thought sideline video taping was only illegal if it wasn't used in-game)

3. Failure to set the record straight on spygate by explaining to dim-witted media folks/fans that it wasn't the video taping that was illegal it was the lack of an enclosed structure AROUND the video equip - and that the severity of the fine was thus due less to the advantage the videotaping provided but due to BB's arrogance and insubordination in continuing the practice of sideline videotaping
As a Pats fan, i agree i in general with this post. He is an easy guy to not like. Personally, i find him amusing, but that is me.

What ruffles my feathers are posts talking about the NE culture of cheating or talk about how this stuff has been going for years. Both completely false. Just say you hate the ##### and want to see him taken down a peg.

What do you do for a living? As far as having intelligent thought, I'll put my occupation and intelligence up against yours any day. Just because I believe someone from the Patriots deflated the balls they used and the Colts didn't have deflated balls, is no reason to get personal.
Ok, what do you do and how smart are you? (I suspect it's time for you to squirm out of this...)

I think it got personal because it's not possible for an intelligent guy like yourself to be this adamant, refusing to be impartial and look at evidence, and just beating a horse to death over and over with unwavering hatred. Smart people can put their emotion aside and try to look at the other side with an open mind. You have proven over and over you cannot.

At first it seemed you did actually believe this, but now I think rather then show weakness or that you might be wrong, you're choosing to play it up so you can just say you were trolling later on and save face. Face it, even if they come out and say its proven the pats did nothing wrong, you will find a way to post that they did. There's no winning with you, and I'd be embarrassed if I had your type of mentality. If you're as intelligent as you claim, it seems to be quite the waste and/or you do a very poor job of showing it.

Give it up man, you've lost. Use your intelligence to overcome that and take it honourably.

Ok, what do you do and how smart are you? (I suspect it's time for you to squirm out of this...)
There isn't anything to squirm out of. The league hasn't ruled on this yet. Even if they rule in favor of the Patriots, you have to admit, 11 of 12 balls deflated and the other team 12 of 12 to specifications, smells pretty damn fishy. To answer your first question, I'm a software engineer for the top rated hospital in the country.

Let me guess, occupation equals intelligence? There is no need to swap personal information as you have made the extent of your wisdom quite evident for all to see.

ETA: I bow to your software engineer superior intelligence as I'm only a ????

Don't egg him on. I'm sure he's a smart guy... just doesn't show it at all in here. Many people are very smart at certain things but can be socially inept or arrogant. Don't fall for the trap, it's hopeless trying to convince him with the truth.

"As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker DQwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI."http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/nfl-bears-plenty-of-blame-for-deflategate/
WHAT????? 10 balls were within 1 psi of 12.5????? WTF?I'm so ####### pissed right now it's unbelievable. Tell me folks - where does one go to get his reputation back? Huh?

Goodell needs to shut this ####### monstrosity down on Monday morning. Then he needs to resign on Tuesday morning. Un-#######g-believable they would allow Brady and Belichik to be left twisting in the wind all week like that.
Maybe Goodell and the NFL haven't said anything yet because they have a smoking gun that would totally embarrass the Patriots and put a huge stain on the upcoming Super Bowl . . . .

Ok, just busting your balls there. I agree. Either they have something, or they don't. Let's get it out there. The NFL's handling of this is a travesty and they should/need to be held accountable. Problem is, who is going to do this? ESPN? They have skin in the game. NFL Network? Yeah, right. Any of the other networks that rely on the NFL for ad revenue?

I'm hoping the Patriots use this and are as angry as you are about it. Could be a very powerful motivator.
It's a good question. You're right - the media is all in bed with the NFL. They won't bring down the mother ship. Based on the reaction to the Florio bombshell on some of the Patriot sites I visit, Pats fans are in a rage right now, particularly now that it's come out that it was a selective prosecution led by a former Jets employee who apparently has an axe to grind with Belichik. The NFL had every opportunity this week to leak out the Florio psi readings and lay this issue to rest. They didn't. And it certainly distracted the Patriots and drew them away from preparing for the Seahawks. I'd have a problem with all of this even if I weren't a Pats fan.I wouldn't be surprised to see a Massachusetts Congressman call for an independent investigation. People will laugh at it, but given what I know right now, it's probably necessary.

I think it got personal because it's not possible for an intelligent guy like yourself to be this adamant, refusing to be impartial and look at evidence, and just beating a horse to death over and over with unwavering hatred. Smart people can put their emotion aside and try to look at the other side with an open mind. You have proven over and over you cannot.

At first it seemed you did actually believe this, but now I think rather then show weakness or that you might be wrong, you're choosing to play it up so you can just say you were trolling later on and save face. Face it, even if they come out and say its proven the pats did nothing wrong, you will find a way to post that they did. There's no winning with you, and I'd be embarrassed if I had your type of mentality. If you're as intelligent as you claim, it seems to be quite the waste and/or you do a very poor job of showing it.

Give it up man, you've lost. Use your intelligence to overcome that and take it honourably.
What have I lost? Has the NFL ruled on this and I missed it? If the NFL rules the Pats didn't do anything wrong and they have concrete proof for such a claim, then I will accept it. I'll move on from it either way.

No pun intended, Johnny, but here's the "rub". The Colt's could have asked for a 13.5 PSI ball and NE a 12.5. With a 1 lb drop; The Colts have 12.5 and NE 11.5. We just don't know yet... Personally, I'm waiting for all the facts to be on the table before jumping to conclusions.

it's a bit shady, but as long as they didn't tamper with the balls after giving them to the refs, they didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

the psi of the balls during the game is completely irrelevant.

Dude,please. Do yourself a favor, stop posting, and read the last two days worth of news, developments, and posts in here. Seriously.

Should folks in other teams' threads expect you to show up and hang your head low, then, since you were far more idiotic than this in those threads? :confused:

What have I lost? Has the NFL ruled on this and I missed it? If the NFL rules the Pats didn't do anything wrong and they have concrete proof for such a claim, then I will accept it. I'll move on from it either way.
You will? Okay then.

No they haven't ruled on it, but the evidence is stacking up. Likely there will be no full 100% claim from the nfl that they did anything wrong, or that they were totally fine. You've created one scenario where you will "admit you were wrong"... one that likely won't happen, and you'll be able to drag this extremely stubborn opinion on for a while. Hmm... maybe you are smarter then we think. Not a bad strategy.

There isn't anything to squirm out of. The league hasn't rules on this yet. Even if they rule in favor of the Patriots, you have to admit, 11 of 12 balls deflated and the other team 12 of 12 to specifications, smells pretty damn fishy. To answer your first question, I'm a software engineer for the top rated hospital in the country.
Interesting. I hire software developers at a Fortune 100 company (where I've worked for over 16 years) and most of the folks I interview are good at software development and fairly lousy at many other things. Oddly enough, those same people tend to think of themselves are very smart and better at most things than most people even when it is clear they are not. I wouldn't classify them as smart, but perhaps educated in a specific field.

that's just what the pats do, dude

IF they prove they tampered with the balls post inspection, i will gladly hop aboard the "they're cheaters!" bandwagon.

even if it's a minor detail to me, but yes, that would be cheating.

it's astounding how little information we actually have on this.

that's just what the pats do, dude
?

Users who are viewing this thread