What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots Playoff Chances (1 Viewer)

Pat Patriot

Footballguy
The Patriots playoff chances continue to evolve. Right now the Patriots are out of the playoffs. However, much like poker, they have lots of outs. It looks like another out is developing.

In any scenorio the Patriots need to win out their last two games against Arizona and Buffalo.

OUTS

1. Baltimore loses to either Dallas or JAX

2. Jets lose to Seattle and Beat Miami.

3. Miami loses to KC and beats the Jets.

4. Jets lose to Seattle and Miami loses to KC

5. Colts lose their last two to JAX and Tenn. Colts are losing at half by 10 and although in a mild slump, Tennessee should be a tough game.

If Baltimore loses one of the last two,

then the Pats are in ?

Regardless of what happens with the Jets and Dolphins ?

:kicksrock:

I think Dallas will beat Baltimore on Sunday, so my guess would be that two AFC East teams will make it, with the loser of the Jets/Dolphins game missing out.

AFC tiebreakers (courtesy of CBS.com)

+N.Y. Jets earn the AFC East division title and No. 3 seed based on head-to-head over New England and Miami (2-1 to Patriots' 2-2 and Dolphins' 1-2)

+Baltimore earns the No. 6 spot based on head-to-head over Miami (1-0).

+Miami earns the higher seed in division based on conference record over New England (6-4 to Patriots' 6-5).

If I'm reading correctly NE loses any tiebreakers with NYJ, MIA & BAL.

if pats win out last 2

and ravens lose 1 game (dallas probable)

the pats are the #6 seed

because jets and miami play each other week17 , and loser ( and also baltimore) would have worse record than pats

Last edited by a moderator:
if pats win out last 2and ravens lose 1 game (dallas probable)the pats are the #6 seedbecause jets and miami play each other week17 , and loser ( and also baltimore) would have worse record than pats
The Pats can still win the EAST Division if the Jets lose to SEA and Miami loses to KC. Then it wouldnt matter who wins the Jets/Miami game as the Pats would have a better record than both of them. A little more of a longshot but not out of the question.The easiest way is just for Baltimore to lose to Dallas or JAX.

AFC tiebreakers (courtesy of CBS.com)+N.Y. Jets earn the AFC East division title and No. 3 seed based on head-to-head over New England and Miami (2-1 to Patriots' 2-2 and Dolphins' 1-2) +Baltimore earns the No. 6 spot based on head-to-head over Miami (1-0). +Miami earns the higher seed in division based on conference record over New England (6-4 to Patriots' 6-5). If I'm reading correctly NE loses any tiebreakers with NYJ, MIA & BAL.
Yes, this is why the scenario Pats fans have been hoping for is for NE to win out and BAL to lose to Pitt (check) and to Dallas (NE would have a better record and not need a tiebreaker to grab the last wildcard spot).I'm thinking the Dallas game needs to happen as there's a good chance the "up and down" Jets beat Seattle this weekend and Miami next...

With regard to Miami playing Kansas City, anything can happen. According to local weather forcasts, the game will be played with temperatures in the single

digits (some forecasts call for a game time temperature of 3 degrees). With those weather conditions, anything can happen.

The Ravens Jaguars game in week 17 is no gimme for Baltimore.

It would be nice to see Dallas put them down this week,

and like Baller said, it's all about applying the beatdown to Arizona right now.

Patriots chances getting slimmer by the hour. Here are the last remaining options (with NE beating Buffalo in all of them):

- Jets lose to Seattle today but beat Miami next week = Pats AFC East champions.

- If Jets beat Seattle, Jets and Dolphins tie = Pats AFC East champions.

- Ravens lose next week to the Jaguars = Pats last wildcard slot.

That's it.

Patriots chances getting slimmer by the hour. Here are the last remaining options (with NE beating Buffalo in all of them):- Jets lose to Seattle today but beat Miami next week = Pats AFC East champions.- If Jets beat Seattle, Jets and Dolphins tie = Pats AFC East champions.- Ravens lose next week to the Jaguars = Pats last wildcard slot.That's it.
Seahags up 7-3 at halftime. Holmgren >>> Mangini. Crosses fingers....

Looks like the Pats will have 2 outs next week . . . they need to beat Buffalo and have either the Dolphins or Ravens lose.

If the Jets win and the Ravens win, Pats = AFC East champs and Ravens = wildcard. If the Jets win and the Ravens lose, Jets = wildcard. If Dolphins win and Ravens win, Dolphins = AFC East champs and Ravens = wildcard. If Dolphins win and Ravens lose, Pats = wildcard.

Who'd a thought the Pats would be in this position when Brady went down? Most surprising of all is the resurgence of Miami in all this. Bet the Jets wish they'd have kept him now.

The Pats still dont control their own destiny but the Jets winning at home against the Dolphins is a reasonable scenario.

I dont think the Jags have much chance against Baltimore. The Jags gave what they could against the Colts last week and I dont think they have much left.

Big Jets fan here next week.

I know they have played an easy schedule but it is amazing that the Pats are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL behind only New Orleans without Tom Brady. Amazing!

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mangini lose on purpose just to keep the Pats out.

The Pats still dont control their own destiny but the Jets winning at home against the Dolphins is a reasonable scenario.I dont think the Jags have much chance against Baltimore. The Jags gave what they could against the Colts last week and I dont think they have much left.Big Jets fan here next week.
So, if the Patriots win and the Jets win, they're (Patriots) in the Playoffs?

The Pats still dont control their own destiny but the Jets winning at home against the Dolphins is a reasonable scenario.I dont think the Jags have much chance against Baltimore. The Jags gave what they could against the Colts last week and I dont think they have much left.Big Jets fan here next week.
Yes, Pats would be 11-5 and Jets and Fish would be 10-6. If the Fish win, they have the conference tiebreaker record over NE, and NE would be OUT, unless:If the Ravens lose, and Pats win, Pats would be 11-5 and Ravens 10-6. Ravens hold tiebreaker over Pats.

Yes. Pats would win AFC East and host playoff game, most likely against BAL.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mangini to lose on purpose just to keep the Pats out.
Seriously. Little rat *******.
Thumbs down.- A Pats fan
Sorry, I didn't know you loved Mangini.- a Pats fan
Comical that any PAt fan calls Mangini a rat - first of all your own coach is king of the rats and second you should be thrilled that you got rid of that lousy coaching tub of goo - I wouldn't be shocked if this was all Bellijerk's master plan to sabotage the Jets! I hope the Fish and Chad put the JEts down for good. I'd rather see then in the playoffs any day than the PAts.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mangini to lose on purpose just to keep the Pats out.
Seriously. Little rat *******.
Thumbs down.- A Pats fan
Sorry, I didn't know you loved Mangini.- a Pats fan
Comical that any PAt fan calls Mangini a rat - first of all your own coach is king of the rats and second you should be thrilled that you got rid of that lousy coaching tub of goo - I wouldn't be shocked if this was all Bellijerk's master plan to sabotage the Jets! I hope the Fish and Chad put the JEts down for good. I'd rather see then in the playoffs any day than the PAts.
LOL

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mangini lose on purpose just to keep the Pats out.
Did you ever consider a Jets win and Patriots lose scenario? That propels Jets all the way up to #4 spot. Heck, even #3 spot if Chargers beat Broncos.They also clinch #6 if Jags hand Ravens a loss.Thus, as much as it hurts me to say it, Jets are as much in this thing as Pats, if not more - as they own all divisional tie-breakers.So why-o-why would they ever ever ever consider losing??

Did you ever consider a Jets win and Patriots lose scenario? That propels Jets all the way up to #4 spot. Heck, even #3 spot if Chargers beat Broncos.They also clinch #6 if Jags hand Ravens a loss.Thus, as much as it hurts me to say it, Jets are as much in this thing as Pats, if not more - as they own all divisional tie-breakers.So why-o-why would they ever ever ever consider losing??
Probably should check out the post directly before yours.

Because the Pats and Ravens are going to win.

The apparent certainty of loss from the Jets community reminds me of the pre-Parcells Patriots. Such negativity!I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bills beat the Patriots. Or the Jags beat the Ravens.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bills beat the Patriots. Or the Jags beat the Ravens.
I expect the Jags to enjoy Christmas week, shiver as they arrive in Baltimore, get hit in the mouth a few times by LeRon McClain and the Ravens D, then start watching the clock until they can get back to sunny Florida and begin their off-season vacations while providing an effort comparable to what Arizona gave yesterday.Baltimore has the second-best home record in the NFL over the last decade. Since the Ravens can only be the #6 seed, to the fans, this is the equivalent of our only home playoff game this year.I think the Pats hopes rest with the Jets. As a Ravens fan, I would much rather face Miami or the Jets then go to New England in the Wild Card round.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bills beat the Patriots. Or the Jags beat the Ravens.
I expect the Jags to enjoy Christmas week, shiver as they arrive in Baltimore, get hit in the mouth a few times by LeRon McClain and the Ravens D, then start watching the clock until they can get back to sunny Florida and begin their off-season vacations while providing an effort comparable to what Arizona gave yesterday.Baltimore has the second-best home record in the NFL over the last decade. Since the Ravens can only be the #6 seed, to the fans, this is the equivalent of our only home playoff game this year.I think the Pats hopes rest with the Jets. As a Ravens fan, I would much rather face Miami or the Jets then go to New England in the Wild Card round.
The Jags MAY get owned by the Ravens, but to compare them to the Cardinals is silly. The Jags play the Colts and Titans twice a year, and I've yet to see them mail one in. I would agree that the Ravens should be heavily favored.

If it ends up as a night game, then I get the rationale if both Pats & Ravens win.Otherwise, it becomes such a complicated tanking. Though I agree with you on those two games, Jets management will have a lot of explaning to do if we are wrong. Also, if I am Mr. Kraft, I would lobby to the end of my power not to put the other implicative game of the division at a different hour - especially with all this recent animosity. They may not listen to me, but it would certainly cause a stir.

Amazing stat:

In the second half of the season (Games 9-15), the 2008 Pats have outscored the 2007 Pats 229-220.

The Jets just got dominated by a 3 win team with a pratice squad OL - how in the heck would anyone be able to tell if they tanked it?

Amazing stat:In the second half of the season (Games 9-15), the 2008 Pats have outscored the 2007 Pats 229-220.
That is pretty incredible, right there.
I actually doublechecked it -- It's a little off (the numbers above are actually games 10-17) and kind of misleading since the Pats had their bye week in week 10 last year. But the point is still pretty strong when you make it a fair comparison.In the Pats final 8 regular season games of 2007 they scored 258 points. 32.25 ppg.Through the Pats past 7 games in 2008, they have 244 points. 34.86 ppg

Users who are viewing this thread