What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pats looking at rookie RBs (1 Viewer)

Boston

Footballguy
From Patriots.com...looks like the Pats are sniffing around the running back position at the combine. I'd be blown away if they didn't add another RB because this position does need to be upgraded. The question is will it be a big name free agent, an under the radar free agent, a high draft pick or a middle rounder. When it comes to the Pats nothing would surprise me.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...d=15552&pcid=41

I'd be a bit surprised if the Pats take a rookie RB with their first round pick. It doesn't fit BB's MO. He has taken FAs in the past that were a 'right fit' at the time, be it talent, money, compensation or a combination of these (see Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon). It seemed to work out just fine over the last 4-5 years.

For my money, and I'm biased as an Alabama fan, but I see the Patriots taking DeMeco Ryans. He fits the Belichick mold and addresses a position of need.

I'd be a bit surprised if the Pats take a rookie RB with their first round pick.  It doesn't fit BB's MO.  He has taken FAs in the past that were a 'right fit' at the time, be it talent, money, compensation or a combination of these (see Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon).  It seemed to work out just fine over the last 4-5 years.

For my money, and I'm biased as an Alabama fan, but I see the Patriots taking DeMeco Ryans.  He fits the Belichick mold and addresses a position of need.
The thing with the Pats is you just never know. Using a #1 and a #3 on O lineman last year really didn't fit their MO either. The year before they took Watson when TE looked like a position that didn't need to be addressed early.As for Ryans he does look to be a Patriot type of player and he wouldn't bother me one bit. Yet, going back to the MO theory BB has only drafted two LBs since he's been with the Pats using only a #7 and a #5 on them. It's tough for a college kid to jump in with the Pats at LB. BB's defense just doesn't translate too easily for college LBs because it's far different than anything they did in college. Right now all four LB starters are former college DE's who had plenty of pro experience prior to playing for BB.

Last edited by a moderator:
does kevan barlow fit the pats offense well??

i've got him in a keeper league,hoping he gets dealt somewhere..lol

its a pipe dream to think barlow is any good, i know, but you've gotto have hope..lol

:popcorn:

Here's a nugget that I thought was "interesting" (about LenDale White):

The more explosive Bush overshadowed White but his 1,302 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns in a backup role has NFL scouts drooling over White’s potential as a feature back at the pro level. There’s a chance White could be on the board when the Patriots select but word from the Combine is the Packers, Cardinals and Browns are all interested in acquiring the former Trojan.
The Browns??????? I thought they were feeling good about Droughns?

The more explosive Bush overshadowed White but his 1,302 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns in a backup role has NFL scouts drooling over White’s potential as a feature back at the pro level. There’s a chance White could be on the board when the Patriots select but word from the Combine is the Packers, Cardinals and Browns are all interested in acquiring the former Trojan.
Droughns is a relatively cheap, effective stop gap IMO. I don't see how they could be content with the 20+ best RB in the league. Droughns is an average back at best.

According to Jim Brown its a possibility:http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=269637&Category=17

Two days before turning 70, Jim Brown talked about the Cleveland Browns coming of age. The Hall of Fame running back, a key adviser to owner Randy Lerner, thinks the mess that squeezed out President John Collins has been cleaned up.

“I had a very positive meeting with Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage,” Brown said. “Their heads were so together, I was kind of amazed. They’re a perfect match.”

Crennel and Savage are coming off their first year as a head coach-general manager tandem.

The three keys to the 2006 offense figure to be the development of quarterback Charlie Frye, wideout Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.

“In terms of talent,” Brown said, “Braylon is a star. Kellen is a star. Charlie has all the potential to be a star. We have a great lineup here.”

Frye went 2-3 as a rookie late-season starter.

Running back Reuben Droughns rushed for 1,232 yards. The only Cleveland running back with a bigger rushing season since Brown’s final year (1,544 yards in 1965) was Leroy Kelly (1,239 yards in 1968).

“I don’t know if Reuben’s contract extension is done,” Brown said. “I’m pretty sure it will get done.”

Brown calls Droughns an “unbelievable competitor,” but he would not be surprised if the Browns add a back. There will be a decision to make if Southern Cal’s LenDale White, a big back with star potential, is available when Cleveland picks at No. 12.

“I do love Reuben,” Brown said, “but if you can add a good running back under the right circumstances, you’ve gotta go after him.

“We brought in Leroy Kelly and Ernie Green when I played, and it only helped us. You’ve got to have two or three good running backs. And if it’s a true game-breaker ... there are only a few of those.”

Users who are viewing this thread