What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pawn Stars on History Channel (1 Viewer)

I like the show but shudder at the thought of how much #### they have to sift through to find anything good.

Anyone ever bought anything good at a pawn shop?

Watched it last night where they had a Shelby chassis on. Guy who has it was a tow truck driver, was called to tow it out of storage place where the renter failed to pay the rent. Wound up owning it after 90 days with the owner not claiming it. They took it to a place that does a ton of work on Shelby cars and it was a real chassis worth 60k.

I just starting watching this show. Very entertaining. I like the Old Man. It's actually very educational as well. Cool stuff.

Also, I'd like to #### Peaches.

After hearing about the shw on FBG I DVR'd it and watched 10 straight episodes the other day. :censored: Couldn't look away. The Shelby Cobra was awesome. Lots of cool swords and guns. Shooting the Musketoon was cool.

"Back in my day, stress was...you got a bottle of Jack, you took care of it. Now these kids wanna talk about it all the time".

--Old Man

Really enjoy the show.

Anyone catch the other Pawn shop show on that reality channel?

Hardcore Pawn.

Not as good imo, but has some good entertainment value, like the 86 year old lady who came in with her family and she whips out her mouthpiece, and wants to sell her gold tooth for $750.

I'm growing tired of it already. I liked it a t first, but the "I'm not an expert in the field so I'm gonna call a buddy to have a look" thing is getting old. I understand that they have the unusual items on the TV show, like the calf roping machine, but come on.
I think they do this because of the History Channel. I bet if it wasn't for that they would never bothering calling someone else unless it was an item they really believed they could sell.
Why would they not call in an expert if they have the means to do so ? Obviously they are not going to bring someone in if they don't think they can make some $$$$$.
Soliciting the expert's opinion is great for TV, but without the show I doubt it often happens. Do you think these experts would normally be offering their time for free? I assume they appear on the show because they like the exposure.

Enjoy the show now while you can.

In about 3 years, we will be seeing shows like

"Pawn Stars :The Alaskan Vacation Special"

"Pawn Stars : Chumlee checks into rehab"

I'm growing tired of it already. I liked it a t first, but the "I'm not an expert in the field so I'm gonna call a buddy to have a look" thing is getting old. I understand that they have the unusual items on the TV show, like the calf roping machine, but come on.
I think they do this because of the History Channel. I bet if it wasn't for that they would never bothering calling someone else unless it was an item they really believed they could sell.
Why would they not call in an expert if they have the means to do so ? Obviously they are not going to bring someone in if they don't think they can make some $$$$$.
Soliciting the expert's opinion is great for TV, but without the show I doubt it often happens. Do you think these experts would normally be offering their time for free? I assume they appear on the show because they like the exposure.
I'm sure they charge a fee to come down there and look at the stuff, just because they don't show them handing any money over to the expert doesn't mean they aren't getting paid.

Chumlee and the Old Man are hilarious, and yet Rick is starting to grow on me. He knows a crapload of American history for a guy working in a pawn shop his whole life.

I also like the fact he can easily walk away from something if he feels the price isn't right, even if he really wants it. Some of those customers left the store without selling their item just because they thought they could milk a few more bucks out of Rick.

I'm sure they charge a fee to come down there and look at the stuff, just because they don't show them handing any money over to the expert doesn't mean they aren't getting paid.
Of course not. But do you think it happens as regularly as we see it on the show? How much would you think an expert's time is worth, and who do you think covers that cost? Often there is no deal, or the item turns out to be a fraud or without value. Someone's out money then.

Of course not. But do you think it happens as regularly as we see it on the show? How much would you think an expert's time is worth, and who do you think covers that cost? Often there is no deal, or the item turns out to be a fraud or without value. Someone's out money then.
How many people do you think come into a pawn shop every day? They are cherry picking certain ones to showcase for TV. I think after 20 years they know how to spot fakes and know the relative prices of most things that would come into their shop. The kinds of things that they show on TV are a rarity, not a normal everyday occurrence.

How many people do you think come into a pawn shop every day? They are cherry picking certain ones to showcase for TV. I think after 20 years they know how to spot fakes and know the relative prices of most things that would come into their shop. The kinds of things that they show on TV are a rarity, not a normal everyday occurrence.
This show is great. I can't believe some of the old stuff that people dig out of their attics. I can't believe how much Rick knows about stuff. Once he and the old man retire, Corey is going to run that place into the ground though.I would suspect that they have some type of deal with the experts where they get paid per piece they look at, or just have a deal where they are paid X dollars to look at items over the course of a year. Although maybe now that the experts are on TV to get some free exposure/advertising that the shop doesn't pay them for any items that are shown on the TV show.

Chumlee is amazing. Just when you start to think it is an act, he goes and does it again.
Was it a mace he dropped through the display case? "Hey Chumlee, what is that?" "Oh, it's a *CRASH*" "Oops"
It was a ball and chain.
This and the son driving off with the toilet chair falling out of the back of his truck were completely staged. Guaranteed.
This was terrible. That really looked staged.

Rick is starting to grow on me. He knows a crapload of American history for a guy working in a pawn shop his whole life.
He was probably a big fan of The History Channel back when it showed real history and wasn't filled up with shows the likes of Pawn Stars.

Laugh like a hyena - CHECK

Call in an expert - CHECK

Make fun of old man by calling him old - CHECK

Have Chumlee do/say something stupid - CHECK

rinse and repeat.......

This show is pretty good IMO. These guys are characters (so what if they are fake or acting a little) but it's also history-relevant. Rick especially is an art history expert and I find it pretty interesting (and entertaining).

This show is pretty good IMO. These guys are characters (so what if they are fake or acting a little) but it's also history-relevant. Rick especially is an art history expert and I find it pretty interesting (and entertaining).
It's almost like a fluffed out Antiques Roadshow, which I love.

Chumlee is amazing. Just when you start to think it is an act, he goes and does it again.
Was it a mace he dropped through the display case? "Hey Chumlee, what is that?" "Oh, it's a *CRASH*" "Oops"
It was a ball and chain.
This and the son driving off with the toilet chair falling out of the back of his truck were completely staged. Guaranteed.
This was terrible. That really looked staged.
The chick who sold the poop chair was pretty attractive, no?

HERBERT THE HIPPO said:
Laugh like a hyena - CHECKCall in an expert - CHECKMake fun of old man by calling him old - CHECKHave Chumlee do/say something stupid - CHECKrinse and repeat.......
Me continuing to watch - CHECK

I am thinking they have the "experts" on a retainer and get a bit of a break versus just paying them each time. This would make sense in that while you might not make as much, you don't take chances and lose as much either. It also seems they do some serious business with some of the experts (Risk's Restorations) so it is worth their time to go an help them out.

Las Vegas has got to be about the best place in America to own a pawn shop, winners with money to blow and losers desperate for money abound.

I wonder how many times this trifecta has hit at their store.

Man hits $1K at a slot machine and skips to the pawn shop to buy an Elvis jumpsuit.

Man hits a dry spell and returns to the store to sell the jumpsuit for $300.

Another dry spell, which is bound to end soon, has the guy again at the store to sell his late, great grandmother's dinnerware used at the White House in the 1910's. Its worth $1k but he takes $300 for it knowing that he'll be back soon to buy it back for $1k.

Cha-Ching. Its as close to free money as it gets if you have a building and some knowledge. The people come to you so they can give you their money, you don't even need to pay for gas.

Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care.

Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.

:confused: @ Chum & Big Hoss out in the desert with the broken ATV. "Maybe we can call your dad and he can bring us some sodas?"
Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care. Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.
Yeah, that's kind of the point of pawn shops. Rick has made the point before, though, that the "appraisal" value is from an auction, where the house will keep 30% of it for themselves, and that selling on eBay can be hit or miss, always a chance it's not seen by the right people and doesn't sell high. And he's still gotta pay for the store, the lights, Peaches, and Chumlee. The work that goes into selling something has to be accounted for. I think the people that go into the pawn shop realize this... that part of the deal is they're paying for the convenience of some guy who'll pretty much buy whatever crap you show up with, and take all the risk unto himself.

people aren't going to pawn shops because they are in a position of strength. they're in a pickle and they need money - fast. so they take what they're offered. i'm surprised more people don't see this show and use it as a chance to get a free appraisal of something they may not know the value of.

and like rick always says, he's buying something to sell it and make a profit. there has to be a profit margin to make him make a deal.

"Back in my day, stress was...you got a bottle of Jack, you took care of it. Now these kids wanna talk about it all the time".--Old Man
My favorite scene. Old Man is very wise. Love this show. I'm sure some/much of it's staged, but it's entertaining and informational.

Decent show, kind of.

BUT they spend too much time on the reality show angle, focusing on the family dinamic of the grandpappy and the kid and whatever cousin Earl is trying to get on this week.

What I like about the show? The Antiques Roadshow angle, with the bald guy imparting info on collectibles, whether it upsets the clients or not.

What I don't like? The rest of the bald guy's family, wasting screen time.

Users who are viewing this thread