What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pawn Stars on History Channel (2 Viewers)

The Old Man promised his wife he wouldn't get a tattoo but in 1959 he was in Japan and thought it would be cool to get one with her name in it... but he spelled her name wrong! :confused:

Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care. Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.
Going back to this one, it was very interesting to me to see the key/gun thing. Rick didn't call in the expert, he just blindly offered $200 for it because it looked old (I've noticed that $200 is typical first wild-### guess he likes to throw out for things he knows little about). So he got it, then he called in the expert. Expert "appraised" it for $1200, tops, at auction. So Rick asked him if he wanted it, and the both started negotiating at the 300/400 range and settled at $350 IIRC. So it looks like both these guys understand auction prices aren't the same as real-world prices. It was unusual to see.

Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care. Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.
Going back to this one, it was very interesting to me to see the key/gun thing. Rick didn't call in the expert, he just blindly offered $200 for it because it looked old (I've noticed that $200 is typical first wild-### guess he likes to throw out for things he knows little about). So he got it, then he called in the expert. Expert "appraised" it for $1200, tops, at auction. So Rick asked him if he wanted it, and the both started negotiating at the 300/400 range and settled at $350 IIRC. So it looks like both these guys understand auction prices aren't the same as real-world prices. It was unusual to see.
Also, with regards to auctions, the auction house often takes 30-40% so even if it goes for $1,200 the seller doesn't get that anyway.

Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care.

Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.
Also, with regards to auctions, the auction house often takes 30-40% so even if it goes for $1,200 the seller doesn't get that anyway.
I heard him say that on one episode. I thought that was way high. According to this website it is actually 10-35%.Even Sotheby's charges a lot less than that. I know this is an old link but I think he is BSing so he can buy stuff at a reduced rate.

Man, I'd never agree to go on this show. Seems like just about everyone ends up getting taken for a ride. I guess people that are at pawn shops to begin with are desperate enough to not care.

Guy on the show I'm watching now sold some kind of clock/compass thing for $700 because it "wasn't working" and they didn't know how much it would cost to fix it. Turned out that it just had two small pieces of cork jammed into the mechanism to protect it during shipping. The expert had it fixed within 5 minutes and they could sell it for $2250. If I were the guy that sold that and saw that episode, I'd be pulling my hair out.
I heard him say that on one episode. I thought that was way high. According to this website it is actually 10-35%.Even Sotheby's charges a lot less than that. I know this is an old link but I think he is BSing so he can buy stuff at a reduced rate.
Yeah, I was just going by what he said on the show and my initial thought was that it was very high. I didn't look into it on my own, but it does go to show that before you go into a place like his shop you really should do a lot of your own research not only into what you are selling but also into other ways you would sell it if you aren't satisfied with the price the shop gives you.

You really have to know the value of what youre selling. The guy was a moron for not doing more research or trying to fix the clock in the first place. Cool clock btw

There's some good bits of info on those info blocks before they cut to commercial. In one, it was revealed that the pawn stars could not reach agreement on 75% of the items that came into the shop. In another one, it asked what was the biggest loss they ever sustained... and they had 3 choices, and all of them were 5-digit numbers in the end.... I think the biggest one was a hot piece of jewelry they lost something like $40k on. With losses like that, it takes quite a few home runs to make up the difference and still make a profit.

american pickers also on history channel is another good show along these lines
I liked this show almost as much as pawn stars, but they rarely bring in the "expert" in a field so that you get the true value of items. They just post what their perceived value is and show the difference as profit. Still interesting stuff, though.

I liked this show almost as much as pawn stars, but they rarely bring in the "expert" in a field so that you get the true value of items. They just post what their perceived value is and show the difference as profit. Still interesting stuff, though.
Like I posted earlier, I think the AP guys are bigger crooks than the PS guys which is shocking. The show last night where they gave the lady $250 for an antique porcelain sign still in the original box was obscene. Besides that, they're personalities are lacking too to say they least. They way Mike ripped on Danielle was a giant **** move.

Like I posted earlier, I think the AP guys are bigger crooks than the PS guys which is shocking. The show last night where they gave the lady $250 for an antique porcelain sign still in the original box was obscene. Besides that, they're personalities are lacking too to say they least. They way Mike ripped on Danielle was a giant **** move.
Yeah agreed on that. Not sure how they expect her to screen the leads and know before they get there whether or not the old stuff has value, especially when the owners themselves have no idea. They essentially say they want to go through your old junk to see if its worth anything, but get pissed if the get to a place where they cant find anything they want. Essentially, we cant spend a day trying to screw people out of their valuables and come up empty? We have a business to run.

Yeah agreed on that. Not sure how they expect her to screen the leads and know before they get there whether or not the old stuff has value, especially when the owners themselves have no idea. They essentially say they want to go through your old junk to see if its worth anything, but get pissed if the get to a place where they cant find anything they want. Essentially, we cant spend a day trying to screw people out of their valuables and come up empty? We have a business to run.
EXACTLY :popcorn:

ETA

"their" jeebus :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear History Channel,

Could you please show this program more often than the scant ten times a f###ing day that it's already on?

Thanks,

Homer

I totally agree with you guys. IMO the American Picker guys have come across as jerks more often than not.

I totally agree with you guys. IMO the American Picker guys have come across as jerks more often than not.
"I owe you!" "I owe you one man!" "I owe you six, alright!" What a d-bag.When Mike's own brother acted like "wtf are you calling me #####", well that should be proof enough.

But for every one deal they make out on, they probably have to deal with a hundred or so tools, like the lady who couldn't understand why he wouldn't pay the "ivory" price for the imitation carved bone tusk.

shadyridr said:
You really have to know the value of what youre selling. The guy was a moron for not doing more research or trying to fix the clock in the first place. Cool clock btw
FWIW If they could sell it for $2250, I am not sure how much more they would have paid the dude.It's not like the expert would come in, fix it, say it's worth $2250, and Rick agrees to give him $2kI mean I can see people having a tough time hearing an expert say this is worth 5k, and then getting offered $1200.i would also be like WTF, but if you have a vintage gun, and you wanna go the ebay route, you have to deal with authentication issues, Nigerian scammers, paypal fraud scammers and unhappy people who get the item and don't like it upon seeing it.You can go the auction route, get hit with fees, you have to wait for the actual auction, hope a few parties are actually interested to boost the price.or you can walk out the store with cash in hand, as you understand you are not selling to an end user, but rather a middle man.

you can walk out the store with cash in hand,......
this is obviously the dealPeople that come into that store are just looking for quick cash. If they had something they thought was very valuable, they don't need to sell it, they can pawn it and buy it back later. Who in their right mind would sell something for $1,000 that is worth $5,000...unless they were desperate for money, now, today.Also a lot of people simply don't realize that the pawn stores need to make a good deal of profit margin on every item they get or else they will go out of business. They need to display the item, wait (hope) for someone to come in and purchase said item, pay the employees, the rent, etc..... I'd be willing to bet that most people that go into pawn stores are looking to buy watches, jewelry or guns. Not too many people are going into one to look for confederate currency or 17th century lock boxes.

Just heard an interview with Rick Harrison on the Mark Levin show. Rick's story on how he started in the pawn business was pretty interesting.

Just heard an interview with Rick Harrison on the Mark Levin show. Rick's story on how he started in the pawn business was pretty interesting.
can you give details?
These are some of the topics I remember that were covered, the interview was for about 10 minutes.Rick said that he and his dad tried to get a pawn license in Vegas around 1981, but Las Vegas had a law where no one could get a permit for a pawn license. To make a long story short Rick found a loophole in the law and in 1988 he and his dad were able to get a permit.Before they were able to get a permit, his father had opened a "second hand store".Rick had the idea for a TV for a long time but no one was interested, but finally someone took a chance on his idea and now they have one of the top rated cable shows on TV.Also, learned that Cory was a high school heavyweight wrestler, Rick and his wife also have a 7 year old daughter, but his wife says the daughter is never allowed to be on the show.Rick said he has been rich and broke so many times that he can't remember. He has never worked for anyone since he was 16 years old. He had one job and that was as a busboy in Vegas and after that experience, he told himself he would never work for someone else. Before the TV started he had I think 17 employees, now he has over 40 employees and he pays medical insurance for them all.

I called about the 18th century set of dueling pistols but they said the family was keeping them.

I wanted to punch that broad with the Faberge broach last night.

Apparently she just watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

What a stupid #####.

I wanted to punch that broad with the Faberge broach last night. Apparently she just watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles. What a stupid #####.
For those wondering if Rick would give well less than the value if he could, he had the chance to do so here. Woman asked for a couple of thousand for her broach. She had no idea what it was worth or even that it was Faberbe. She would taken $500 for it I bet. But Rick responded he'd love to give her $2,000 but unfortunately he had a conscience, then he offered her $15,000. She then tried to get $17,000 and then $15,500 but he stuck with $15,000 and she took it.

I wanted to punch that broad with the Faberge broach last night. Apparently she just watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles. What a stupid #####.
That thing was awesome...even if it had turned out not to be Faberge. Just cool looking.But I don't know. If I was in Vegas and somebody said "$15k cash money in your hand...right now". It would be tough to walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those wondering if Rick would give well less than the value if he could, he had the chance to do so here. Woman asked for a couple of thousand for her broach. She had no idea what it was worth or even that it was Faberbe. She would taken $500 for it I bet. But Rick responded he'd love to give her $2,000 but unfortunately he had a conscience, then he offered her $15,000. She then tried to get $17,000 and then $15,500 but he stuck with $15,000 and she took it.
He should have made chained her to Chumley like she was Princess Leia.

He should have made chained her to Chumley like she was Princess Leia.
:confused:

:excited: I was in the middle of commenting to my wife that Rick was a stand up guy when she tried to get more money out of him....i would have kicked her out of my store....

Would he have done the same thing with no cameras around is the question.

Love this show and like rick. I think it's in his best interest to give decent value. no one wants to be ripped off and that will get more people in. I'm sure every other pawn shop in vegas will be broke. People go there as an attraction now.

Love this show and like rick. I think it's in his best interest to give decent value. no one wants to be ripped off and that will get more people in. I'm sure every other pawn shop in vegas will be broke. People go there as an attraction now.
I'm sure that's true, but you may define "decent value" a lot differently than I do. Admittedly, I don't know much about the pawn business.

I'm sure that's true, but you may define "decent value" a lot differently than I do. Admittedly, I don't know much about the pawn business.
I mainly just mean not blatantly ripping people off. She has to know that the thing is worth more than $15000. but can she sell it? Does she want to go through all the crap to get it sold. If he is offering $15K, I would think hell move it for at least 30K.I'd love to watch a live feed of all the crazies coming in at 3AM

Love this show and I also love the guys in it. They are just a funny group to watch and it's entertaining. Rick because he is such as smart ### and talks with his hands like an animated puppet all the time. The Old Man because he pretty much sleeps all day long and only wakes up to rip on everyone else or tell a customer "NO!" Chumly is just clueless and always gets nominated for every stupid and dangerous task imaginable.

I can't believe how much cool stuff come through that place. I often wonder if it has always been that way or people go there with such cool crap because they know they will be on TV. I've been to pawn shops before and none of the ones I've been to have remotely the amount of just cool ####. I think the guys are pretty fair in their negotiations and all in all I don't think they are ever trying to rip anyone off. Sometimes they take someone for a ride but there have also been times when they have been taken as well. I love it that they always call in experts and I think it really goes a long way in cementing their reputation. How the hell do they know so many experts anyway? The experts consistently have great info and incite on the items at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread