What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL BSS Discussion Thread...... (2 Viewers)

Really happy with my turn here. Definitely wanted to get two TEs and could not believe that Gonzo was still hanging around. Always a big fan of Steve Smith, who can have huge games from time to time and could be traded.
I took everything I had to keep myself from pulling the trigger on Gonzo at my last pick.

Sorry about the delay. Checked in last nite around 2am and then slept in. Shocked that Santana Moss made it back to me.

QB: Vick, Cutler

RB: D Williams

WR: Marshall, Collie, Moss

TE: Finley

Feels like my last 5 picks have been offering a 1/2 to a full round of value. I must be behind the curve on my ranking perspectives this year.

Rounding out my starting roster with the last two picks:

Roster:

QB - Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning

RB - Frank Gore, Joseph Addai

WR - Greg Jennings, Steve Johnson, Braylon Edwards

TE - Zach Miller (OAK)

Loved getting Addai here. I'm assuming he either goes back to the Colts or winds up in a similar situation, but he was 13 points per game last year - comparable to Gore.

Edwards as a WR3 is a pretty good pick IMHO too.

Cannot believe that both he and Santana Moss were taken AFTER Jacoby Ford. Really Andy? Sell me on that one. Honestly, I'm all ears - let me know what the thought was there to take Ford ahead of either one of those guys. Nothing against Ford but he's not a Top 40 WR.

I was very curious about where Jordy Nelson would go. Clearly a move up from WSLs, but deservedly so. With me already having Jennings I still would have considered him at the 9/10 turn if he made it back. Solid pick.

Rounding out my starting roster with the last two picks:Roster:QB - Matthew Stafford, Eli ManningRB - Frank Gore, Joseph AddaiWR - Greg Jennings, Steve Johnson, Braylon EdwardsTE - Zach Miller (OAK)Loved getting Addai here. I'm assuming he either goes back to the Colts or winds up in a similar situation, but he was 13 points per game last year - comparable to Gore.Edwards as a WR3 is a pretty good pick IMHO too.Cannot believe that both he and Santana Moss were taken AFTER Jacoby Ford. Really Andy? Sell me on that one. Honestly, I'm all ears - let me know what the thought was there to take Ford ahead of either one of those guys. Nothing against Ford but he's not a Top 40 WR.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Andy's pick of Ford over the vets, in fact, I think Ford was already as valuable as Edwards in the second half of last season. If Ford is game planned as more of a focal point of the offense this year, he could blow away his ADP, especially in a format like survivor that stresses the value of big plays and big weeks. I would have seriously considered Ford at 7.10

Rounding out my starting roster with the last two picks:Roster:QB - Matthew Stafford, Eli ManningRB - Frank Gore, Joseph AddaiWR - Greg Jennings, Steve Johnson, Braylon EdwardsTE - Zach Miller (OAK)Loved getting Addai here. I'm assuming he either goes back to the Colts or winds up in a similar situation, but he was 13 points per game last year - comparable to Gore.Edwards as a WR3 is a pretty good pick IMHO too.Cannot believe that both he and Santana Moss were taken AFTER Jacoby Ford. Really Andy? Sell me on that one. Honestly, I'm all ears - let me know what the thought was there to take Ford ahead of either one of those guys. Nothing against Ford but he's not a Top 40 WR.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Andy's pick of Ford over the vets, in fact, I think Ford was already as valuable as Edwards in the second half of last season. If Ford is game planned as more of a focal point of the offense this year, he could blow away his ADP, especially in a format like survivor that stresses the value of big plays and big weeks. I would have seriously considered Ford at 7.10
That's a big if. Given Oakland's two strong RBs and usage of the TE in their offense, I don't see consistent production. Granted that's not a requirement in this league, but I'd still take the more proven WRs in Santana Moss and Braylon Edwards over Ford. None are locks but both of the vets are safter picks given their track records.

That's a big if. Given Oakland's two strong RBs and usage of the TE in their offense, I don't see consistent production. Granted that's not a requirement in this league, but I'd still take the more proven WRs in Santana Moss and Braylon Edwards over Ford. None are locks but both of the vets are safter picks given their track records.

Face it, Ford is inconsistant, not really something you can have out of a 7th round pick...at least not as his level of inconsistancy. And I understand Bloom of you accepting the challenge to make a point why Ford should be this high of a pick, but the reasoning is purly taste, not statisticly or even of ADP. Only 2 of his ten games he only gained 100 or more yards recieving, immediatly followed by a game with 27 yards and the other with a 4 yard game. Thats not a sign of a coach attepting to get a playmaker involved. A lot of his replay material were kickoff returns, and with the rule change the tds should come off the board around the league in general, plus u can never really count those points, only as a bonus. He has talent yes, and is sitting behind a first round pick in DHB and another good wr in Murphy, both far from removal in the starting lineup, but I think safe for a while. Over Moss, 4th in the league in receptions, 1000 yard season and 6 scores. Braylon 53/900/7 not bad either, I understand going for upside, but you do have to keep the reach to a minimum, dont you think?In 10 games for Ford, 25/470/2, thats 2.5 catches and 47 yards a game, and a td every 5....not good in a ppr league...this obviously compared to Santana and Braylon. Braylon not much better, but personally think he is a few tiers higher then Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now lets talk about this stacked team, lol...

QB - Drew Brees Stud, nothing more needed.

RB - Steven Jackson, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cedric Benson Cedric in the 7th? I should be put in cuffs for that theft.

WR - Jeremy Maclin, Sidney Rice, Hines Ward I like this trio and we all know Sidney is undervalued.

TE - Kellen Winslow Glad he fell to me.

K -

D -

Let the smack begin...

Thought about Braylon on my last pick... I just wonder what his situation will be. Personally I think BE has turned a corner and has turned into a Veteran player who works hard at his trade and is ready to cash in more on his talent.. REX LOVES BE!!! Rex knows when a player gives 110% and Rex loves what BE is about.

But, where? of course, it's about $$$$$.

It would be nice stats wise if he's the #1 guy in NY and Holmes is gone... I guess it could be better if he goes to a more dynamic offense. But, it could also be a lot worse...

FYI... Everyone knows they are allowed to delete the BS #### they post in the draft thread right? I often posts stuff like "I'll be around for PM picks" and come back and clean that out later...

I'm also around all day for PM's today.

Edwards as a WR3 is a pretty good pick IMHO too.Cannot believe that both he and Santana Moss were taken AFTER Jacoby Ford. Really Andy? Sell me on that one. Honestly, I'm all ears - let me know what the thought was there to take Ford ahead of either one of those guys. Nothing against Ford but he's not a Top 40 WR.
Yes, really. There's no telling where Edwards will be when the season starts. And Santana Moss is one of my least favorite fantasy players ever, so there's a bias there. But disregarding that, there's no way to know who is going to play QB in Washington this year.Ford wasn't the best pick, but I wanted to move things along and I thought I'd take a swing for the fences chance with my WR3. I'm behind the 8-ball already with my lousy QB so I figured, what's the harm?

QB Peyton Manning - Nuff said really, especially with his receiving corp coming back healthy. The high round investment has allowed me to draft what I perceive as value over a #2, but I guess I'll need one at some point.

RB Darren McFadden - Great hands and big play ability. Stay healthy, man.

RB Shonn Greene - They say LT will take a back seat to him this year. We'll see.

RB Ryan Grant - Too much value to pass on. Starks didn't wow me.

WR Brandon Lloyd - Produced under starting and back up QBs. Defense will still keep him relevant.

WR Mario Manningham - Just not high on his team mate's prospects this year.

TE Owen Daniels - Can't ask for more when healthy, in this format, at the price I paid.

TE Jared Cook - Gambling on him continuing where he left off.

I might be gambling (or in Bass's eyes, reaching), but drafting near the turn and without the ability to trade, I don't think playing safe will get me very far. Apologies for throwing a wrench in any ADP, but again, no trading or maneuvering is going to lead to that kind of thing.

Edwards as a WR3 is a pretty good pick IMHO too.Cannot believe that both he and Santana Moss were taken AFTER Jacoby Ford. Really Andy? Sell me on that one. Honestly, I'm all ears - let me know what the thought was there to take Ford ahead of either one of those guys. Nothing against Ford but he's not a Top 40 WR.
Yes, really. There's no telling where Edwards will be when the season starts. And Santana Moss is one of my least favorite fantasy players ever, so there's a bias there. But disregarding that, there's no way to know who is going to play QB in Washington this year.Ford wasn't the best pick, but I wanted to move things along and I thought I'd take a swing for the fences chance with my WR3. I'm behind the 8-ball already with my lousy QB so I figured, what's the harm?
Too me you want a balance of the High-risk High-reward home run types like Jacoby Ford, and then maybe sprinkle in a Hines ward/Santana Moss type for stability

Too me you want a balance of the High-risk High-reward home run types like Jacoby Ford, and then maybe sprinkle in a Hines ward/Santana Moss type for stability
Kinda my thinking. Although I think I have a stronger stomach for Kenny Britt than other people probably might. So with the roster I've got, I think it's pretty solid if not unspectacular and not ideal. Should compete anyway:Matt CasselMatt ForteFred JacksonPierre ThomasKenny BrittCalvin JohnsonJacoby FordVernon DavisP.S. - Is Pierre Thomas dead or something? I thought he only broke his ankle and that they signed him to a long term deal. :confused:

'Andy Dufresne said:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
Thanks Andy. I view these Survivor Leagues as a good way to discuss players and I enjoy talking about the contrarian picks. For example, who in the world would have taken Brandon Lloyd early last year? We would have laughed at that last April.As usual this isn't about the person making the selection, I just want to hear the thoughts behind the pick. That helps us all assuming we'll still be drafting in June/July/August.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Kinda my thinking. Although I think I have a stronger stomach for Kenny Britt than other people probably might. So with the roster I've got, I think it's pretty solid if not unspectacular and not ideal. Should compete anyway:Matt CasselMatt ForteFred JacksonPierre ThomasKenny BrittCalvin JohnsonJacoby FordVernon DavisP.S. - Is Pierre Thomas dead or something? I thought he only broke his ankle and that they signed him to a long term deal. :confused:
They did just sign him to a long term deal, good value but I thin kthe injury and a PPR/COP back on the roster scared off people

Just an FYI (and to keep the thread manageable and also rzr's head from exploding) I suggest we start a new thread every 8 rounds.

Thanks Andy. I view these Survivor Leagues as a good way to discuss players and I enjoy talking about the contrarian picks. For example, who in the world would have taken Brandon Lloyd early last year? We would have laughed at that last April.As usual this isn't about the person making the selection, I just want to hear the thoughts behind the pick. That helps us all assuming we'll still be drafting in June/July/August.
No problemo, Jeff. I stopped taking things personally around here a long time ago. Remember, I'm more of a FFA regular. :lol:I can see why you'd be down on the Ford pick given who was on the board. I remember getting grief a couple years back when I took Rodgers as my #1 QB because he "wasn't ready". As in the case of Ford, I just thought I'd take the chance on "upside".

No problemo, Jeff. I stopped taking things personally around here a long time ago. Remember, I'm more of a FFA regular. :lol:I can see why you'd be down on the Ford pick given who was on the board. I remember getting grief a couple years back when I took Rodgers as my #1 QB because he "wasn't ready". As in the case of Ford, I just thought I'd take the chance on "upside".
I figured you'd be cool with it :)Given the 24 roster spots too I would tend to be safer in the top third of the draft, then start taking bigger swings later. It'll be interesting to see what people do with the extra picks.

The draft thread is current now (to 8.10 or so). Jeter, please start a new one for Round 9 if you would. Thanks.

(or someone)

That way I can help that person edit it.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I knew it wouldn't happen, but was hoping to handcuff Thomas to Bush. It was really a coin flip between those two when I was up.

'Orgazmo said:
QB Peyton Manning - Nuff said really, especially with his receiving corp coming back healthy. The high round investment has allowed me to draft what I perceive as value over a #2, but I guess I'll need one at some point.

RB Darren McFadden - Great hands and big play ability. Stay healthy, man.

RB Shonn Greene - They say LT will take a back seat to him this year. We'll see.

RB Ryan Grant - Too much value to pass on. Starks didn't wow me.

WR Brandon Lloyd - Produced under starting and back up QBs. Defense will still keep him relevant.

WR Mario Manningham - Just not high on his team mate's prospects this year.

TE Owen Daniels - Can't ask for more when healthy, in this format, at the price I paid.

TE Jared Cook - Gambling on him continuing where he left off.

I might be gambling (or in Bass's eyes, reaching), but drafting near the turn and without the ability to trade, I don't think playing safe will get me very far. Apologies for throwing a wrench in any ADP, but again, no trading or maneuvering is going to lead to that kind of thing.
How's that shouldler feeling dude? :lmao: I've been a Manningham fan for a while and road him to some big weeks. The thing that concerns me is that his best production comes when he's the third WR. When Nicks and Smith were out last year he disappeared as I suspected.

I think Cook may have lasted a few more rounds for you.

Greene and Grant are both question marks in my book but paired together something should work out.

How's that shouldler feeling dude? :lmao: I've been a Manningham fan for a while and road him to some big weeks. The thing that concerns me is that his best production comes when he's the third WR. When Nicks and Smith were out last year he disappeared as I suspected.I think Cook may have lasted a few more rounds for you.Greene and Grant are both question marks in my book but paired together something should work out.
I'm listed as questionable. :unsure: I know what you mean about Manningham and I'm hoping it was simply him not being up to speed on all the WR positions. He's been slow on the learning side of things since coming in, but considered the top WR in that draft class by many.

Just an FYI (and to keep the thread manageable and also rzr's head from exploding) I suggest we start a new thread every 8 rounds.
Appreciate the new thread, but I am ok with one for the whole draft. Your action did nothing for the whining which is all that bothers me and not really than bad. Not nearly as bad as the seven RBs in eight picks prior to mine. I really thought that I would get two solid guys, but my list was decimated.

Appreciate the new thread, but I am ok with one for the whole draft. Your action did nothing for the whining which is all that bothers me and not really than bad. Not nearly as bad as the seven RBs in eight picks prior to mine. I really thought that I would get two solid guys, but my list was decimated.
Gotta love the corner pick, don't you?You can't complain too much though with getting your 1.01 RB.

QB- Tony R0m0

RB- Ray Rice,Beanie Wells, Tim Hightower

WR- Vincent Jackson, Michael Crabtree,Lance Moore

TE- Brandon Pettigrew, Dustin Keller

K-

:football: :boxing: :banned: :coffee: :popcorn:

Flacco / Garrard

Chris Johnson / Ahmad Bradshaw / James Starks

Mike Wallace / Johnny Knox

Dallas Clark / Greg Olsen

Craziest Survivor ever IMO given the Stoppage and all the FA uncertainty plus the 24 rounds....

If I had to do it differently...... again, it's another full 2 rounds later and I would be fine taking 2 TE's here and calling it a day over the Dallas Clark pick where I could have had another top WR.

Took Olsen cuz, I just didn't see great value anywhere else and it sounds like he may be in the mix a little more.

I also still regret taking Garrard just like I did as soon as I hit the button...

Overall... Decent QB play, Great TE play and real good RB's IMO.... Not bad but, I could definitely tweak this and I'll need like a 10 WRBC.

Gotta love the corner pick, don't you?You can't complain too much though with getting your 1.01 RB.
Corner picks are much more difficult in a 16-teamer, that is for sure. I was forced to reach initially on QB taking Freeman at 4.16, but he has gone earlier than that in the other two PDSLs. I really like the McCoy pick here as he has good accuracy and will be a good fit in the WCO, especially if Cleveland adds to their WR roster as most anticipate.I am ok with LT as my second RB, but was hoping to get Spiller or P. Thomas which were both bargains in my opinion in the middle of the eighth round.

I think I fixed the PM list. Apparently cut and paste of "&section" turned into some weird character for the *§" part.

Yep, not liking the new setup too much.

so far I like what razor (Freeman/ADP/Wayne/Bowe/Car Smith/Cooley) and Jeter (Bradford/Charles/Torain/Fitz/Desean/Holmes/Lewis) have done....was really hoping Torain would make it to me....

kind of surprised by the timing of Bass's disappearence with no list....he was still around between BSS and Kruppe picks....so it was headed his way....hope all is good...

Curious what people make of Mr. 81 himself, Randy Moss.

Not sure if that's a great pick or a terrible one. Seemed "about right" for where / when he should go. Hoping that there is something left in that tank.

Curious what people make of Mr. 81 himself, Randy Moss.Not sure if that's a great pick or a terrible one. Seemed "about right" for where / when he should go. Hoping that there is something left in that tank.
Thought about him instead of Benn, but he did so little for Minnesota and Tennessee and he comes with so much baggage that it seems like the smart money is little to no impact next year

Curious what people make of Mr. 81 himself, Randy Moss.Not sure if that's a great pick or a terrible one. Seemed "about right" for where / when he should go. Hoping that there is something left in that tank.
Thought about him instead of Benn, but he did so little for Minnesota and Tennessee and he comes with so much baggage that it seems like the smart money is little to no impact next year
Thanks for the thoughts.As for Benn, you're not concerned about his injury? Last I heard a mid-year return is optimistic.

Not sure if that's a great pick or a terrible one. Seemed "about right" for where / when he should go. Hoping that there is something left in that tank.
Thanks for the thoughts.As for Benn, you're not concerned about his injury? Last I heard a mid-year return is optimistic.
Benn way ahead of schedule
Arrelious Benn had a clean tear of his anterior cruciate ligament on December 26 against Seattle, had surgery in January and did not have a limp at all in February. In fact, Benn’s recovery is way ahead of schedule and he is fully expected to be ready by the start of training camp and possibly by the mandatory mini-camp in June.

best case scenerio he returns to NE as thought I heard some stiff about them not really being happy with Tate as a deep threat.....in that case I think he could put up some decent numbers....other than that I'm not sure what his production would be like somewhere else....I think there will be some interest, but it seems he only really wants to be in NE....which would be the best fantasy option as well...think he has some game left and thought about taking the gamble as well, but already had TO on board with some of the same issues...also since he is next to me ...Steel Dillo is now on a 1 hour clock right...?

Benn way ahead of schedule
Arrelious Benn had a clean tear of his anterior cruciate ligament on December 26 against Seattle, had surgery in January and did not have a limp at all in February. In fact, Benn’s recovery is way ahead of schedule and he is fully expected to be ready by the start of training camp and possibly by the mandatory mini-camp in June.
Thanks for that.Still hard to imagine a 6-month recovery timetable for an ACL.

1.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Maurice Jones Drew, JAX, RB7

2.07- Sigmund Bloom - Antonio Gates, SD, TE1

3.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Marques Colston, NO, WR15

4.07- Sigmund Bloom - Matt Ryan, ATL, QB11

5.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Percy Harvin, MIN, WR27

6.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mark Ingram, ROOKIE, RB26

7.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Donovan McNabb, WASH?, QB23

8.07 - Sigmund Bloom - CJ Spiller, BUF, RB33

9.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Arrelious Benn, TB, WR49

10.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mike Tolbert, SD, RB45
Can't say I love my draft so far, but I feel like I can salvage a good team with a break or two...Wouldn't change either of the first two picks - wrote about MJD earlier (still a stud playing hurt and only 26, will be fine) and Gates is actually value in the 2nd if his foot holds up. Colston was a fine low-end WR1 in the third, just need a little more depth to cover any low points, and 24 rounds should help with that. Ryan a round earlier than I would have wanted, but this is a QB-inflated draft. My one big misstep was taking Harvin instead of Stafford in the 5th. Good WRs lasted until the 7th after it seemed like they were going to burn off at the normal pace when that pick came up. I still like Harvin, who really came on with Webb, but I would much rather have Stafford and any number of WRs available at 7.10 than Harvin/McNabb. Ingram was a swing for the fences in the 6th and one I that I am happy to take again because of 24 rounds affording a few more shot in the dark/low-end firewall types. McNabb was a punt, Ryan's lack of huge games means I needed some assured #s from my QB2. Maybe McNabb ends up somewhere good or finds his game and it really works out for me, but it hurt to pass on the WR/RB available for him... which dried up quickly before my 8th round pick. We hit a big drop where the next 40-50 players were pretty equal so I just went for upside with hopes that Spiller becomes Reggie Bush in Gailey's offense this year with a few long TDs mixed in for good measure. Benn is way ahead of schedule as I posted earlier and I think he'll take a big step forward as defenses focus on Mike Williams. Tolbert was too good to pass up in the 10th, especially as insurance for Ingram landing in a crowded backfield and Spiller treading water. I have work to do at WR, but it always the position that I seem to have 5-10 players left on the board that I wish had room for in 20 rounders.

1.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Maurice Jones Drew, JAX, RB7

2.07- Sigmund Bloom - Antonio Gates, SD, TE1

3.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Marques Colston, NO, WR15

4.07- Sigmund Bloom - Matt Ryan, ATL, QB11

5.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Percy Harvin, MIN, WR27

6.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mark Ingram, ROOKIE, RB26

7.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Donovan McNabb, WASH?, QB23

8.07 - Sigmund Bloom - CJ Spiller, BUF, RB33

9.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Arrelious Benn, TB, WR49

10.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mike Tolbert, SD, RB45
Can't say I love my draft so far, but I feel like I can salvage a good team with a break or two...Wouldn't change either of the first two picks - wrote about MJD earlier (still a stud playing hurt and only 26, will be fine) and Gates is actually value in the 2nd if his foot holds up. Colston was a fine low-end WR1 in the third, just need a little more depth to cover any low points, and 24 rounds should help with that. Ryan a round earlier than I would have wanted, but this is a QB-inflated draft. My one big misstep was taking Harvin instead of Stafford in the 5th. Good WRs lasted until the 7th after it seemed like they were going to burn off at the normal pace when that pick came up. I still like Harvin, who really came on with Webb, but I would much rather have Stafford and any number of WRs available at 7.10 than Harvin/McNabb. Ingram was a swing for the fences in the 6th and one I that I am happy to take again because of 24 rounds affording a few more shot in the dark/low-end firewall types. McNabb was a punt, Ryan's lack of huge games means I needed some assured #s from my QB2. Maybe McNabb ends up somewhere good or finds his game and it really works out for me, but it hurt to pass on the WR/RB available for him... which dried up quickly before my 8th round pick. We hit a big drop where the next 40-50 players were pretty equal so I just went for upside with hopes that Spiller becomes Reggie Bush in Gailey's offense this year with a few long TDs mixed in for good measure. Benn is way ahead of schedule as I posted earlier and I think he'll take a big step forward as defenses focus on Mike Williams. Tolbert was too good to pass up in the 10th, especially as insurance for Ingram landing in a crowded backfield and Spiller treading water. I have work to do at WR, but it always the position that I seem to have 5-10 players left on the board that I wish had room for in 20 rounders.
Glad you back-handedly approved of my taking of Stafford ;) . I had the 5/6 turn earmarked for QB2 after I passed on a QB at the 1/2 turn. They dry up fast any more.Here's my question regarding your draft - did you give any thought to other WR options at the Spiller pick? IIRC you like Moore. Just wondering why you'd choose a RB3 over a WR3 at that point knowing the depth of RBs and the thin crop of WRs. I understand your general sentiment about WRs always seeming to be there at the end of the draft, but WR100+ may not be big contributors but your WR3 will have to be.

My general thoughts are that after around WR30-35, the pool gets rather thin so if you can get 3 good ones in your first 7 picks that's a must.

Speaking to general strategy at this point (since we're now drafting for depth) is that RB and TE are deep while WR and QB are thin - QB remarkably so. I think that's reflected in this draft with QB1s and QB2s going rather early while RBs seeming to "fall". The only surprise I've seen is that TE2s going early.

Users who are viewing this thread