What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL3 Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

Going into a meeting. I sent my picks for round 4 to Carl W Football so send PM to him

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin and Jones at the turn? Martin was RB3 entering last season, he gets hurt and people forget about him same for Julio. It is what happened with Garcon entering last year. It is why i put me at pick 16 and I like the result. I want last pick in the first in any draft I'm in.
Julio has a good a shot to be WR1 so I'm on board with him. He's certainly in my top tier of WR's that goes 5 deep.

Martin is solid but it's not just that he was hurt last season but it's that he was pretty mediocore before he went down. Solid player but I'd have actually picked a few other RB's over him, Gio was my top choice at the time of available RB's but I would add I think on a per game basis Demarco is going to be a top 5 RB justh have concerns about him staying healthy. I'd have picked both of them over Martin myself.
So Martin was doing bad for a bad team through 6 games so that means he will not be good this year? He performed elite just one year before that? While I get what you are saying judging a guy off six games before he went down with injury after a full season of being elite does not seem smart. Its about this year not last year or the year before and his prospects are elite for this year with how Tedford and Lovie use RBs.
It's partly that he was so bad in the 6 games last season and partly because without the two outstanding back to back fantasy games his rookie season he's been otherwise pretty ordinary.

Usually I'm not big on throwing out a players best game or two but in his case you had this whopping anomlay of almost 25% of his career fantasy production having occured in just 2 games-both of which came back to back. That's hard to overlook. It was a concern for many heading into this past season and the more he grew his career sample size the more glaring this 2 game anomaly began to appear, at least it did to me.

I don't know how the new staff will use him but hard to do better than being an every down back getting a heavy workload like he's had his entire career. Maybe he's not the third down back next season or the main goal line back but either way he was about as bad for fantasy last season as a RB can be getting the volume he was getting. So to me it's not simply forgetting a guy who got hurt and assuming with good health he's going to just be the consensus top 5 RB many projected him to be entering this past season.

Not that I'm trying to bag on him. I'd probably have him rated right now as the third best RB that was available when you took him and if I wanted to play it safer would put him just behind Gio. I just think unless he becomes a 60 catch back he's going to be more or less average, not the fantasy production we saw his rookie season.

3.15 Shane Vereen RB. NE
That seems late.
Yep. Folks are going buck wild on tight ends.
It seems about right to me. Not that it's not good value but it just seems about right especially considering that Ben Tate recently got picked and I'd have rather had Tate.

Folks did go wild on TE's and I thought a few got picked a little early but one of those few was certainly not Pitta, thought that was great value.

3.15 Shane Vereen RB. NE
That seems late.
Yep. Folks are going buck wild on tight ends.
It seems about right to me. Not that it's not good value but it just seems about right especially considering that Ben Tate recently got picked and I'd have rather had Tate.

Folks did go wild on TE's and I thought a few got picked a little early but one of those few was certainly not Pitta, thought that was great value.
I know he was solid a couple years back but I've honestly never seen more hype around a 29 year old player who has done almost nothing in this league. It is just amazing to me.

I know he was solid a couple years back but I've honestly never seen more hype around a 29 year old player who has done almost nothing in this league. It is just amazing to me.
Who, Pitta? I think you're overstating the age thing. He's only going into his 5th year in the league. He's an older guy because he came out of BYU.

If you look at his trend, it was pointing straight up until that injury destroyed his season last year.

Who, Pitta? I think you're overstating the age thing. He's only going into his 5th year in the league. He's an older guy because he came out of BYU.If you look at his trend, it was pointing straight up until that injury destroyed his season last year.
Yep Pitta. I get it. He was on a positive trend and there's not a lot of target competition but a $21 million contract for a guy who has 120 career catches is insane to me. I get that from a. Fantasy perspective he should be solid but a Middish TE1 not sure about that.

Who, Pitta? I think you're overstating the age thing. He's only going into his 5th year in the league. He's an older guy because he came out of BYU.If you look at his trend, it was pointing straight up until that injury destroyed his season last year.
Yep Pitta. I get it. He was on a positive trend and there's not a lot of target competition but a $21 million contract for a guy who has 120 career catches is insane to me. I get that from a. Fantasy perspective he should be solid but a Middish TE1 not sure about that.
So what has Witten done so awful that he is now the 8th TE gone in redraft formats? Pitta went before him, yuck.

No, "great value" was Pitta going in the 7th two months ago in the WSLs. As a 3rd rounder, not so much.

I'm high on Pitta this year (to the point where I darn near took him at that spot in said WSL despite already owning Graham), but if this is his new going rate, looks like someone else will be paying it in my leagues.

No, "great value" was Pitta going in the 7th two months ago in the WSLs. As a 3rd rounder, not so much.

I'm high on Pitta this year (to the point where I darn near took him at that spot in said WSL despite already owning Graham), but if this is his new going rate, looks like someone else will be paying it in my leagues.
Pitta in the 3rd, is that a record for earliest he ever went in a draft?

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:

when you say my leagues....I am assuming by that you mean your leagues here in the Mock Draft Forum and not your leagues back home or whatever.....

anyway....I have seen some sights/experts that have Pitta ranked as a top 5 TE (the 5th TE) for next year.......obviously that is debatable....but...if that holds true, in this 2PPR format he may actually be wroth a 3rd round pick....now you may totally disagree that he will finish top 5.....and thats fine, but a top 5 TE in this format may very well be worth a 3rd round pick.....especially with 16 teams and not just 10 or 12....

in normal scoring and smaller league sizes, things are much different......lasting to the 7th was a crazy fluke for some reason and something that doesn't normally happen here.....I think his injury/etc had him hiding or non existent on whatever lists people were using at the time.....

I know I commented on almost taking him earlier as well back when the WSL's drafted, but also had Graham on board and needed to go elsewhere.....no way he makes it down there again.....

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:

when you say my leagues....I am assuming by that you mean your leagues here in the Mock Draft Forum and not your leagues back home or whatever.....

anyway....I have seen some sights/experts that have Pitta ranked as a top 5 TE (the 5th TE) for next year.......obviously that is debatable....but...if that holds true, in this 2PPR format he may actually be wroth a 3rd round pick....now you may totally disagree that he will finish top 5.....and thats fine, but a top 5 TE in this format may very well be worth a 3rd round pick.....especially with 16 teams and not just 10 or 12....

in normal scoring, th
Thats great and all, but Pitta is not a Top 5 TE nor has ever been. Not even gonna get into it because it is such nonsense to think he is a Top 5 TE.

in this format last year the 10th ranked TE was the 63rd highest scorer in the league....if you give every team one QB and don't count QB's from 17 on.....TE10 bumps up to the 53rd highest scorer....that puts TE10 in the 3rd round conversation....so even if you think he could be top 10....the numbers say a top 10 TE could be somewhat worthy of a 3rd round selection.....and I'm not even a numbers guy...

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:
No, "great value" was Pitta going in the 7th two months ago in the WSLs. As a 3rd rounder, not so much.I'm high on Pitta this year (to the point where I darn near took him at that spot in said WSL despite already owning Graham), but if this is his new going rate, looks like someone else will be paying it in my leagues.

in normal scoring, th
Thats great and all, but Pitta is not a Top 5 TE nor has ever been. Not even gonna get into it because it is such nonsense to think he is a Top 5 TE.
I'm not a big fan of talking in absolutes

in this format last year the 10th ranked TE was the 63rd highest scorer in the league....if you give every team one QB and don't count QB's from 17 on.....TE10 bumps up to the 53rd highest scorer....that puts TE10 in the 3rd round conversation....so even if you think he could be top 10....the numbers say a top 10 TE could be somewhat worthy of a 3rd round selection.....and I'm not even a numbers guy...
QB10 was probably a top 25 scorer so should they go in the 2nd round? I'll bet similar point delta to QB20 as to TE20 as well.

QB10 was probably a top 25 scorer so should they go in the 2nd round? I'll bet similar point delta to QB20 as to TE20 as well.
nope....

nope....[/quote

Seems like it given your logic

Re: number of rounds.

Rules thread says 20 rounds for PDSL. I'm inclined to stick with that, especially because the draft is underway.

Andy Dufresne said:
These PDSL leagues give 2 PPR for TEs.

If it was only 1 PPR then of course there were other options than Pitta.
This ain't exactly my first Survivor League rodeo, pardner. You're talking to a guy who took Graham at 1.04 in WSL2, so it's not as though I'm somehow missing how valuable a good TE can be in these leagues.

I think it's certainly possible Pitta winds up as a top-5 TE this season. I don't think that possibility (which I'd put at less likely than not) justifies a 3rd-rounder - not when there are any number of guys who might pull off the feat who I'd guess will still be around 3-4 rounds later.

FWIW, if forced to choose I'd rather take Pitta at 3.14 than Rudolph at 3.03.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:

in normal scoring, th
I've got him rated at TE4. Had he not got hurt last year he'd have flirted with 100 catches. Only thing that can stop him is injuries.

nope....[/quote

I wouldn't call what I slapped down logic....I actually have no clue what all the numbers mean....I was just throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks.....we could probably twist the numbers to make them look however we want....

but bottom line: in this format a top 5 TE is definatley in the discussion in the 3rd round....

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:

in normal scoring, th
I've got him rated at TE4. Had he not got hurt last year he'd have flirted with 100 catches. Only thing that can stop him is injuries.
100 catches and the only thing that can stop him is injuries, what stopped him the years he didnt get hurt? Now its not even serious talk anymore. So I guess he is after Graham, Gronk and Thomas. I have Witten, Reed, Cameron, Davis and Rudolph all ahead of him. I even have some not drafted yet ahead of him. The Pitta love is on overload.

I think TE is the most volatile position at this point this season. I think you can make a valid argument for as many as 11 TEs that could potentially finish top 5.

nope....[/quote

I wouldn't call what I slapped down logic....I actually have no clue what all the numbers mean....I was just throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks.....we could probably twist the numbers to make them look however we want....

but bottom line: in this format a top 5 TE is definatley in the discussion in the 3rd round....
I agree and WSL ADP supports this is where top 5 went just not buying the top ten point.

Pitta had to compete with Boldin and Rice a couple years back. The addition of Steve Smith in Baltimore is not that big of a deal, IMO. If anything it helps Pitta, especially considering he gained a TE friendly coordinator.

Jordan Cameron? He had 2 TDs in his last 11 games and lost the TE friendly coordinator that made his game.

Jordan Reed isn't going to have to compete for targets? Especially with their new guy in town?

HellToupee did get it right though in that there are a lot of guys that could finish top 5. Pitta belongs in that conversation. And is the least risky pick with the highest chance to be a week to week contributor, IMO.

You want to talk about a risky pick in a survivor league? How about Gronk? He didn't even have ACL surgery until the 2nd week of January. There's a big likelihood he starts the season on PUP.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
menobrown said:

in normal scoring, th
100 catches and the only thing that can stop him is injuries, what stopped him the years he didnt get hurt? Now its not even serious talk anymore. So I guess he is after Graham, Gronk and Thomas. I have Witten, Reed, Cameron, Davis and Rudolph all ahead of him. I even have some not drafted yet ahead of him. The Pitta love is on overload.
It's an evolution of things. Boldins departure being one big step. Flacco's growth and trust in Pitta being another step. Pitt's growth as a NFL football player being huge. You folks act like due to his age he's been kicking around forever. You are talking about a guy who was barely active as a rookie who was hurt for most of last season. He's not even played the equalivaent of 3 full seasons in one of the most difficult positoins to adapt to and somehow he's reached his ceiling.

Than you have the makeup of the offense as a whole. A coach who has traditionally run TE friendly schemes, both starting WR's much more adept at deeper routes,both have evolved into a little more but not neither are big options in the short to intermediate game. What they do accomoplish is opening up the field for the best short/intermediate receiver on the team. That's Pitta. It's why at far less than 100% he got targetted 33 times in 4 games last year and caught 20 passes. He's Flacco's guy the way Jason Whitten has been for Romo these past few years.

I take exception to your comment this is not a serious discussion. Was it serious for anyone to project Cameron to have a big year last season despite doing squat his first two years? It's a good thing fantasy sports is not as easy as connecting the dots to past performance. It requires a little more thought at times.

Lastly if anyone is ranking Vernon Davis over Pitta you might want to take a good long look at his production when Crabtree is healthy. In a 2 point TE PPR you'll be praying for TD's every week to hit double digits.

ETA- I think every other TE you listed is in the discussion. I've just got Pitta rated ahead of them but it's close, almost splitting hairs. But all of those guys were picked in the same range as Pitta. I'm more down on Cameron than most, feel like he was a function of Chud/Norv and a usage player. I think he's solid but statistically takes a step back. For the same reasons I'm down on Cameron I'm high on Rudolph, the Norv angle plus I think even if he's stuck with Cassell it's an updgrade. A few of those guys could push Julius and Reed is one of them. Obviously huge health red flags and more weapons to contend with are big concerns but had he not got hurt likely would have turned in all-time top 3 rookie TE season. I feel like Whitten is on the decline but he's gets major props for durablity and if he can get back to the 130-140 target usage he'll pick it up on sheer volume. I got no problem with anyone who would have any of these guys as high as #4 if not #3 over Julius.

Why is everyone so uppity about top 5 when he was picked TE7? Pitta definitely belongs in the TE 4-10 range. That's undeniable. Now is he worth a 3rd rounder? Lets look at where Andy's picking. He's either taking him at 3.14 or 4.03, as Pitta is not making it back to him in round 5.

So if he's really high on Pitta and there were 5 other WRs he'd be fine with at 4.03, taking him at 3.14 is fine. You sometimes have to reach a bit when you're on the ends. If there's anything you learn in these league, take a player if you like him. Most of the time, he's not getting back to you.

Pitta had to compete with Boldin and Rice a couple years back. The addition of Steve Smith in Baltimore is not that big of a deal, IMO. If anything it helps Pitta, especially considering he gained a TE friendly coordinator.

Jordan Cameron? He had 2 TDs in his last 11 games and lost the TE friendly coordinator that made his game.

Jordan Reed isn't going to have to compete for targets? Especially with their new guy in town?

HellToupee did get it right though in that there are a lot of guys that could finish top 5. Pitta belongs in that conversation. And is the least risky pick with the highest chance to be a week to week contributor, IMO.

You want to talk about a risky pick in a survivor league? How about Gronk? He didn't even have ACL surgery until the 2nd week of January. There's a big likelihood he starts the season on PUP.
Yes Gronk is risky and IMO it's priced into the pick just like last year. If he's ready and stays healthy he's the number 1 TE. If not he's the number 1 TE when he comes back and while he's out Vereen gets a bump. Win win for me. Note: I'm confident I can survive if Gronk misses time...you should see my SSL draft last year and the result was good too.

5.01 Matthews Stafford QB6 DET

I figured I better grab a QB now because it is a long ways until my next pick. Stafford finished around QB5 last year and I got him at QB6 which is around where he should go as a QB. I had a couple of other QB's I was debating on which I won't name at this time because they are still on the board. I decided to go with Stafford though because the receiving core got better this year during free agency. So I figure he probably will once again end up somewhere in the top 6 for QB's.

1.01 LeSean McCoy RB1 PHI

2.16 Zac Stacy RB16 STL

I'm really happy with this RB group. I won't have to worry about a 3rd RB for a while concentrating on other positions for now. LeSean McCoy is amazing. Zac Stacy had a very good rookie season and I don't see why he can't be just as good if not better this season. A solid start with the RB position. I was actually planning on taking either Cameron Jordan or second WR here instead of Stacy but he seemed too good to pass up at the end of round 2.

3.01 Randall Cobb WR11 GB

Really happy with Cobb as my #1 WR. Last season before he got injured he was putting up top 10 ppg at the WR position. So here is to hoping he can stay healthy this season. I had hoped to have a second WR at this point but like I said I felt like Stacy was to good a value to pass up at the end of round 2 and I also felt like I needed to grab a QB and TE at the 4/5 turn because it was a loooooooooong ways until my next picks and I didn't want to take a chance on a QB and TE run. Plus WR is deep so I feel I can grab some nice WR's in the middle of the draft that will give me good depth.

4.16 Greg Olsen TE10 CAR

I was happy to land Greg Olsen at the end of the 4th round. The way TE's were going off the board I didn't think there would be any good TE's left to choose from. I almost took Jordan Cameron at the 2/3 turn but decided to wait hoping to land someone like Olsen, Reed, Pitta, or Rudolph. I was happy at least one of my TE targets made it back to me. With not much at WR in Carolina Olsen may have a uptick in targets this season. Maybe not a huge uptick but even a small uptick will put him in the top 7 or 8 in TE's.

4.08 Valence - Andrew Luck QB4 IND

1.09 Valence - Demaryius Thomas WR3 DEN

2.08 Valence - Demarco Murray RB12 DAL

3.09 Valence - Vernon Davis TE6 SF

The Ravens just signed a legit TE to steal targets, the same type of player as Boldin a gritty good older WR with a lot still to prove, Rice is going to get his catches and you think that helps a older TE coming off injury? Dude is going to be 29 this coming season well past his prime and still has Flacco as a QB and no elite season to speak of yet we talk about him as a Top 5 TE? Good luck to you in your money drafts.

Cameron, while I am not his biggest fan, his upside is better than Pittas. He has already had a better season in his third year than Pitta has ever had. He is younger and still the eyeball test tells you clearly more talented. The explosiveness is still there, Pitta is older coming off a hip injury and if you wanna talk last season Pitta was the 16th best TE in PPG in standard ppr in his games played.

I never mentioned anything about Reed competing for targets, but I feel he is a better player and put up 16 fewer catches than Pitta has in his best season in his rookie season and we have not seen his best yet, have we in Pitta? Its funny you say competing targets is a good thing for Pitta but doesnt help Reed?

I doubt Daniels steals many targets anymore. He was brought in to help Kubiak.

You keep talking about Pitta's age. There are plenty of late 20's TEs that do well. It's not like we're talking about an RB.

You also keep hammering on the "no elite season" yet, but then you talk about guys you think are shoo in's to be better than him...that ALSO haven't had an elite season yet.

You're kinda crazy.

And now we see in round 5 that by the time it gets back to me, all that will be left at the TE position are guys that have almost NO shot at finishing in the top 5. Probably not even in the top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread