What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pep and Charles Johnson (1 Viewer)

If Carolina ends up keeping Pep, what becomes of the value of Charles Johnson?Is he just a backup DL?
In IDP terms, yes, Tyler Brayton played so well last season -- particularly in the second half of the year -- that it's hard to project Johnson to an every-down base defensive role. He's proven now that he can be effective rushing the passer on nickel downs and has the size to hold up against the run, though, so his value remains high as a back end roster player in deeper dynasty leagues. Like Richard Marshall, he may have to continue to bide his time, but should be an effective box score performer when his full-time opportunity finally comes.

If Carolina ends up keeping Pep, what becomes of the value of Charles Johnson?Is he just a backup DL?
In IDP terms, yes, Tyler Brayton played so well last season -- particularly in the second half of the year -- that it's hard to project Johnson to an every-down base defensive role. He's proven now that he can be effective rushing the passer on nickel downs and has the size to hold up against the run, though, so his value remains high as a back end roster player in deeper dynasty leagues. Like Richard Marshall, he may have to continue to bide his time, but should be an effective box score performer when his full-time opportunity finally comes.
Both Johnson and Cliff Avril are available on my WW. Between these two, who would be the pick, not only for the short term, but the long as well. 2 pt...tackle1 pt...assist3 pt...sack

What happened to this guy. It seems he has slid further down the depth chart. All I see when he plays is production. He had a big game yesterday, yes, it was the kiss of death 4th pre-season game, but what is the deal with him? Is he missing his assignments or what?

With Peppers, Johnson, Brayton, and Everette Brown all as their DE, and the void that used to be Maake Kemoeatu still unfilled, why doesn't Carolina slide Brayton into an Under-tackle type role next to Peppers with Johnson and Brown rotating on the other end spot. Then on nickel rushes they can line up the 3 DE guys on the line they way the Giants do.

Why don't they use the talent they have instead of plugging in players that just aren't good enough for their roles.

I know, this is just armchair coaching, but that's my $0.02

Both Johnson and Cliff Avril are available on my WW. Between these two, who would be the pick, not only for the short term, but the long as well. 2 pt...tackle1 pt...assist3 pt...sack
I would have to say Avril just because he is going to have the most opportunity this year and probably in the long term. There's a lot of talent that Charles Johnson is competing with - and Everette Brown looked good in the limited action I saw from him.Avril has DL2 potential THIS YEAR and I think probably has similar long-term upside especially in a big-play league. (He may not be quite as valauble in your scoring which is tackle heavy - but we'll see if he can stay on the field in more situations). (To put it in context, in one dynasty rebuilding project I took over, I picked up both earlier this offseason and just cut Johnson. Avril is still there).

Users who are viewing this thread