What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Perfect Draft Articles (1 Viewer)

Hear-the-Footsteps

Footballguy
Before anyone chimes in with, "you should have reached out to Dodds privately" - please know that I did.

That being said this is just a simple informal request. I have a draft this weekend (my first of several). I love reading the Perfect Draft articles each year. I know what the premise will be as David usually stays true to his overall ideas. But each year, his "get So and So in round XYZ" changes. Last year he nailed the Gronkowski call (even bolded the entire sentence).

So my questions are...

1) When will they be coming out?

2) If not by this weekend, is there any way to throw some bones at us (ie, maybe let us know some of your top targets and sleepers)? (Perhaps an informal quick draft of a Perfect Draft article. It would not be necessarily geared towards 10, 12, or 14 teams; it would not be geared towards PPR or non-PPR; it would not be geared towards anything. Instead it would just be a general idea of who Dodds likes most this year (say 5th round and beyond).

Just an idea. Really like those articles and it would be nice to have at least a little something to sink our teeth into for those drafting sooner, rather than later.

Dodds, anything? Even a few of your nuggets would be a nice start.

How about some specific questions...

1) You are usually big on waiting on QB. This year there are actually 11 guys I would be happy with. And cases can be made for adding Ben and RG3 to that list to make it 13. If one was to wait on QB til the studs (Rodgers/Brady/Brees) are gone; as well as that next tier (Staff/Newton) since they will probably go 2nd or 3rd round --- who do you like in that next clump of QBs (Vick / Romo / Eli / Rivers / Ryan / Peyton)? Is there one that stands out to you more than the others? Is there one you will avoid?

2) Which RBs from RB25 and on are you a fan of? Which of the non-top 24 RBs will you be targeting?

3) Many are holding off on WR this year (so deep). If in some order, one was to end up having 1 QB, 4 RBs, 1 WR, and 1 TE through 7 rounds - which WRs would you start targeting in rounds 8 and beyond?

4) Last year you were big on grabbing Gronkowski as the TE to own. Let the others take Gates, Witten, Finley, etc. And grab Gronkowski later than all of them. Well that turned out to be a heckuva call. Any TEs (after the top 5-7 are taken) that you will be targeting this year?

5) Anything else in general? Whether it is a strategy move or a sleeper? Any special targets or guys you want to get in as many leagues as possible?!

Thanks - really appreciate it.

Listen ppl, these thread pop up EVERY YEAR, and the response is the same EVERY YEAR. Look back at the archive articles for the past couple years and that will give you a great lead as to when you should expect to start seeing these things.

Also, i hate to break it to you, but if you are waiting on the edge of your seat for these pieces to give you some kind of groundbreaking news or insight, you obviously have not been following or using any of the other tools or articles that have been available to you up to this point...

Listen ppl, these thread pop up EVERY YEAR, and the response is the same EVERY YEAR. Look back at the archive articles for the past couple years and that will give you a great lead as to when you should expect to start seeing these things.Also, i hate to break it to you, but if you are waiting on the edge of your seat for these pieces to give you some kind of groundbreaking news or insight, you obviously have not been following or using any of the other tools or articles that have been available to you up to this point...
1) I did look through the archives. That's exactly why I am pretty sure it will not be out yet.On the other hand, Dodds did say something about a week or so ago on Twitter about hopefully having the first one out by this Friday or Saturday. (That would be Aug 17 or 18 - which is not on par with the archives.)So I asked. Plain and simple - no big deal. I simply asked when it would come out. AND simply requested that if not by this weekend, could he at least throw a couple solid tid-bits out there. I really do not see the big deal in that. Worst case scenario, he does not chime in with some nuggets. (If that is the case, nothing lost.) Best case, he either puts out the article OR if he knows he won't be able to, he comes into this thread to throw some ideas around.2) Thank you for "breaking" news to me, but I am not on the edge of my seat waiting for this piece. I have been following the offseason, but I appreciate your concern. There is nothing wrong with wanting some confirmation on your own thoughts OR a different angle on players you hadn't truly considered from someone that is considered among the very best in the business (consistently in top 5 among FF sites for his projections/accuracy/rankings). If you wanted no additional information or opinions outside of just following it yourself - then why come here? Simply get a twitter account and follow a handle of Adam Schefter types. You will have all the latest info, the latest signings, injuries, who is looking good, bad, etc.3) As for your final point regarding not using the other tools or articles made available. Once again, what does that have to do with wanting to read Dodds' thoughts? Sure I've read some guys' opinions on dynasty players, others on what to do at certain draft spots, injury reports, read through the QB by committee, followed changes in recent ADP lists, etc. What on earth does that have to do with wanting to know some of DODDS' opinions?Quite simply, telling people - go get Gronkowski last year in the 8th or later - was probably a huge help to a lot of people around here. No QBBC article mentioned Gronk as a huge target/sleeper. No Def by committee did that. No upside down strategy article, or ADP list review, or injury report analysis, or what to do from the 1st or 3rd or 12th spot, etc. So quite frankly, I do not get why people do what you just did. Why come in here? I nicely asked if it would be released by this weekend; and if not, if he could possible throw his ideas around. I did not suggest in any way that I would be mad if it was not out by this weekend (since I know it is usually later). I simply asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand...you need Dodds to come and tuck you in and tell you everything will be ok. Nothing wrong with that.

Is this like part of a football guys subscription? People shouldn't expect or want part of what they pay for and they should just go read what was said last year? :confused:

can't get anything out of the Draft Slots Study articles? imo people should have the Perfect draft ingrained in them by now, it doesn't change much. Then you take Dodd's top 300 and see who he likes more than the ADP and you can figure what his late round suggestions will be.

btw, i'm 100% sure the FBG staff has a pool running each preseason on when these threads calling out for the Perfect Draft articles will begin...

I understand...you need Dodds to come and tuck you in and tell you everything will be ok. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks for adding a lot to this thread. Yeah, that's exactly what I want...to be tucked in. It has nothing to do with great respect for how good Dodds is at what he does and therefore, want to hear (read) what he is thinking as we approach a new season.Surprised you'd call anyone out for wanting others' opinions. After all...1) Haven't you asked others whether they think Ingram and 1.07 is a good deal for AJ Green? You need to be tucked in to feel better about a possible trade before you go to sleep at night? Nothing wrong with that.2) Haven't you asked others whether they would trade Little for Stewart? You want the warm comfy blanket of knowing others will do it. Got it.3) Haven't you asked other people their opinions on what they do in their leagues (ie, settings/parameters was the way you put it)? Funny how you seem to want others opinions so often, yet mock others when they want the same. Oh wait - that was b/c you wanted to keep things fresh so you wanted others' opinions, you wanted another outlook, or another idea. (Not different at all from what I am doing here. But if you want to be the pot calling the kettle black, go right ahead - whatever makes you feel better.)4) Did you not flat out start a topic in the middle of last year asking how others would play your roster and situation? Wow...you wanted other people's opinions.Yet I want the opinions of one of the best out there and you mock me. Look in a mirror.You can either choose to see these points, in which case you will perhaps stop pissing in the thread. Or I am guessing you will continue to be condescending b/c you can't see the forest for the trees (ie, you are mocking someone for asking for others' opinions, WHEN YOU HAVE REPEATEDLY DONE THE SAME THING).

can't get anything out of the Draft Slots Study articles? imo people should have the Perfect draft ingrained in them by now, it doesn't change much. Then you take Dodd's top 300 and see who he likes more than the ADP and you can figure what his late round suggestions will be.
Does the ADP Expert list show Dodds top 300?

OK I've pieced together this year's perfect draft article from David Dodd's various tweets over the last few weeks. It is all very clear now.

.@zbc9375 - If 4 QBs go in the first 11 picks, engrave the trophy. Grab best RB in the 1st, and go QBBC much later for fantasy success. .@JerryPickles - I would go LeSean McCoy and target Matt Ryan in the sixth. Yes Rodgers will score a lot, but few good RBs so grab early. Advanced Strategy for Sharks: Pairing Ryan Mathews and Kevin Smith as your RB1 RB Ryan Mathews moves to 15th -19th on my draftboard depending on scoring tweaks @ExaltRealty - Those all seem like good bets at those prices. I like RG3 the best. I have a vibe about him that he truly could be great .@Billie_Sutton - With the 7th, 9th, and 14th picks in a 10 team PPR, I would grab RBs. WRs/QBs/TEs can be later because it's 10 teams So Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta out a few weeks. Hello Davon Drew and Billy Bajema..@jharrisfootball - RG3 is going to be special. I've had that vibe every time I hear him interviewed. Starting to sour a bit on QB Tom Brady for this year. Hard schedule, juggling on the OL, better defense, improved running attack. Going on record that Cutler, Marshall, and Forte all disappoint this year. OL still sucks. .@mattydeane - I take Foster and pass on Tate. Tate's handcuff cost is too great. @BBofLA - Yes, but I like some sleeper TEs much later too
So there you go. Your 2012 Perfect Draft Article.

'rascal said:
'footballnerd said:
Does the ADP Expert list show Dodds top 300?
Actually, go to Forecast and then pick a Top 300 list and you'll see Dodds breakdown

Users who are viewing this thread