What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peterson charged with reckless or negligent injury to a child? (3 Viewers)

But if he's acquitted and they suspend him anyway, wouldn't they receive the same blowback? If they're selling the innocent until proven guilty stance right now, how are they gonna follow that with guilty even if found innocent?
They'd have received a ton of blowback for swiftly suspending him before he even set foot in a courtroom, which would have been compounded by the timing and how badly they botched everything with Gordon, Rice, etc. Like I said, the league was snowballing in the wrong direction and they made the prudent decision to step back.

They're not selling, "Innocent until proven guilty," they're selling, "Let the legal process play out and we'll conduct our own review once all the facts are out." Like I said, to a large portion of the "jury" that the NFL actually cares about, Peterson is already guilty.

The reality is that there's going to be an outcry no matter what the league does. Even if he's convicted of a crime in court, there will be people who argue the league has no right to suspend him or something. If he's acquitted and suspended, people will complain that's not fair. If he's acquitted and receives no suspension, people will complain that the league is soft on child abusers. The NFL has painted themselves into a bit of a corner and they're now deliberately moving slowly to repair all the scuff marks on the "shield."

:topcat:

How does he recover from child abuse allegations with photographic evidence and now smoking weed when on bond?

He will be 30 in March. I believe we have seen the end of one of the greatest RBs of all time.
Greatest RB of all-time? C'mon, man.

How does he recover from child abuse allegations with photographic evidence and now smoking weed when on bond?

He will be 30 in March. I believe we have seen the end of one of the greatest RBs of all time.
"One of the" was stated, and yes, tis a correct statement.
I thought it was crystal clear but since he missed it the first time, I just went ahead and bolded it for him.

He was dropped in my dynasty league Wednesday in a waiver move. The guy with the top waiver claim has said he's getting him (but at 0-5 he's building for next year). He's happy to trade him for a future rookie pick. What's fair? A 2nd, a 3rd?

I thought it was crystal clear but since he missed it the first time, I just went ahead and bolded it for him.
How many "greatest" of anything can there be?

But if he's acquitted and they suspend him anyway, wouldn't they receive the same blowback? If they're selling the innocent until proven guilty stance right now, how are they gonna follow that with guilty even if found innocent?
They'd have received a ton of blowback for swiftly suspending him before he even set foot in a courtroom, which would have been compounded by the timing and how badly they botched everything with Gordon, Rice, etc. Like I said, the league was snowballing in the wrong direction and they made the prudent decision to step back.

They're not selling, "Innocent until proven guilty," they're selling, "Let the legal process play out and we'll conduct our own review once all the facts are out." Like I said, to a large portion of the "jury" that the NFL actually cares about, Peterson is already guilty.

The reality is that there's going to be an outcry no matter what the league does. Even if he's convicted of a crime in court, there will be people who argue the league has no right to suspend him or something. If he's acquitted and suspended, people will complain that's not fair. If he's acquitted and receives no suspension, people will complain that the league is soft on child abusers. The NFL has painted themselves into a bit of a corner and they're now deliberately moving slowly to repair all the scuff marks on the "shield."
There's just something awkward here about the whole exemption list, especially in the case of Greg Hardy. If as you say the legal proceedings have little to do with the NFL's investigations, then what's the point of waiting until the legal process plays out? It's been months since Hardy's conviction, and the NFL is still "investigating"? Unlike Peterson's case, there is no dichotomy of public opinion regarding spousal abuse, so what's the league waiting for?

There's obviously something preventing the league from executing the same swift justice they levied in the Roethlisberger incident where they suspended him before he was even charged. My guess is something written into the CBA, which was reached after Roethlisberger's suspension, making the league's actions in Ben's case somewhat irrelevant in the cases of Hardy and Peterson.

He was dropped in my dynasty league Wednesday in a waiver move. The guy with the top waiver claim has said he's getting him (but at 0-5 he's building for next year). He's happy to trade him for a future rookie pick. What's fair? A 2nd, a 3rd?
I have Peterson I would not move him for anything less than a first, that said my team is built to win for the next couple years so I could use him next year. If I was in rebuild a second would probably do it.

That said if I was 0-5 I may be inclined to hold him until next year, he could end up in a way better spot than the vikes and you could get more from a contending team possibly next season....whoever dropped him is a moron

At the brink of dropping him. And not have to deal or read any Peterson threads again.
redraft? He's been dropped for weeks in my three local leagues, and were a bunch of vikes homers. No one has picked him up, he is fantasy irrelevant this year.

I dealt him (2 year deal) and Attuacho (LB - taxi squad) for T.Y. Hilton (4) and Alf Morris (1). I needed live bodies on a good team looking to repeat and knew I wasn't getting anything out of AP this year and was fine with sacrificing a year of his ... a year probably in a uniform other than the Vikings (a huge negative IMO). Add in the fact we don't have a franchise tag in this league and it was just too juicy of a deal to ignore. I'll take the 1-year starter in Morris (who I can probably keep for cheap this offseason) and a solid WR2.

Easily a 2nd.

Even calling him the greatest isn't a stretch: 5 RB's have rushed for 10,000 yards through age 28 and he has the highest career YPC of any of them (4.97). He also did it in the fewest number of games (103) compared to the other backs who needed 111-124 games.

At the brink of dropping him. And not have to deal or read any Peterson threads again.
redraft? He's been dropped for weeks in my three local leagues, and were a bunch of vikes homers. No one has picked him up, he is fantasy irrelevant this year.
I think my own pride is getting in the way. Meaning, if he comes back for the playoffs this year I rather rot with him on my team than let the competition pick him up.

The court may order the defendant rearrested for "any good and sufficient cause".

This DA is a ####.

Ligon asked Case to apologize for earlier this month referring to Ligon and Hardin as "media whores."

Taken aback, Case apologized and said, "That was meant as a humorous joke and unfortunately humor is sometimes taken the wrong way."

Ligon responded that there was "little humor" between the 9th district court and the district attorney's office.

Hardin chimed in, "Just for the record, I don't take offense to it, your honor … I've been called much worse."

So many people don't know what the uck they're talking about itt.

Guys, the South is different from where you're from. Basically everyone spanks their kids from where Peterson grew up. And yes, most use belts, boards, paddles, switches, etc when the kid is being especially bad.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.
Wait...are you suggesting that, beating the snot outta your 4-year old kid for acting up or whatever because "he deserved it" and is "normal in them there parts" should just be brushed aside, not questioned or the person doing the beating not held accountable? I get it. Rednecks be rednecks, right? That's how we raise our kin and mind y'all business. Wow.

I'm SO glad I was brought up in a place other than the South.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the people that think the league will suspend Peterson regardless of the legal outcome in Texas, my question is... What are they waiting for? The guy's already not playing, why not just dock him the game checks and call it a suspension if that's what they're gonna do anyway?
Because this is all coming directly after the Josh Gordon - Ray Rice debacle. There's been an obvious effort on the league's part to stop bungling these things so badly. They moved too quickly and changed their minds too arbitrarily, and it was time for them to take a step back and slow the process. If they suspended him a few weeks ago they'd just have gotten more blowback from the other side. Letting Peterson have his day in court is reasonable and an easy sell, and it slows down what had been a speeding trainwreck of bad PR for the league.
They aren't going to suspend him if he's acquitted. That's just moronic.

chinawildman said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
chinawildman said:
To the people that think the league will suspend Peterson regardless of the legal outcome in Texas, my question is... What are they waiting for? The guy's already not playing, why not just dock him the game checks and call it a suspension if that's what they're gonna do anyway?
Because this is all coming directly after the Josh Gordon - Ray Rice debacle. There's been an obvious effort on the league's part to stop bungling these things so badly. They moved too quickly and changed their minds too arbitrarily, and it was time for them to take a step back and slow the process. If they suspended him a few weeks ago they'd just have gotten more blowback from the other side. Letting Peterson have his day in court is reasonable and an easy sell, and it slows down what had been a speeding trainwreck of bad PR for the league.
the same way they suspended Rice without even being prosecuted legally... people disgusted by the images will think he got let of the hook and want a suspension.

cstu said:
Pots said:
cstu said:
The court may order the defendant rearrested for "any good and sufficient cause".

This DA is a ####.
You're saying he shouldn't be rearrested?
I'd wait until the results of his test.
No need to wait. The results would've been back and if it was positive, the prosecutors would've announced it. This is coming from defense attorneys in the area who would know the process. He tested negative, essentially, he's in trouble cause he opened his mouth. As far as going to jail, won't happen. Typically the judge would warn the defendant not to do it again, and as this judge is awaiting a recusal hearing, he can't even do anything if he wanted to.

30 Year old RB, admits to smoking weed, being investigated for child abuse. I can find better RB's to pursue for fantasy football. I hope he ends up in Jacksonville next year.

So many people don't know what the uck they're talking about itt.

Guys, the South is different from where you're from. Basically everyone spanks their kids from where Peterson grew up. And yes, most use belts, boards, paddles, switches, etc when the kid is being especially bad.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about.
Really, the "stupid, and proud of it" angle?

Y'all don't know... but us Yankees can be ***holes too... it's not just a "southern thing."

just traded my first next year and ADP for marshawn lynch. needed a rb. can't take more of ADP. becoming a sad story

The running back, who was indicted by a grand jury in September for recklessly injuring his 4-year-old son while disciplining him with a switch, said he saw his son at a counselor's office in Minnesota last week for the first time since the incident.

"He was running to me, and he jumped in my arms," Peterson said. "I know the counselor is thinking, 'This is not what I expected.' The kid jumped in my arms. He was rubbing my head, pulling me to go play with him."

“First, the injury was inflicted on a child who was only four years old. The difference in size and strength between you and the child is significant, and your actions clearly caused physical injury to the child. While an adult may have a number of options when confronted with abuse – to flee, to fight back, or to seek help from law enforcement – none of those options is realistically available to a four-year old child. Further, the injury inflicted on your son includes the emotional and psychological trauma to a young child who suffers criminal physical abuse at the hands of his father.

“Second, the repetitive use of a switch in this instance is the functional equivalent of a weapon, particularly in the hands of someone with the strength of an accomplished professional athlete.

“Third, you have shown no meaningful remorse for your conduct. When indicted, you acknowledged what you did but said that you would not ‘eliminate whooping my kids’ and defended your conduct in numerous published text messages to the child’s mother. You also said that you felt ‘very confident with my actions because I know my intent.’ These comments raise the serious concern that you do not fully appreciate the seriousness of your conduct, or even worse, that you may feel free to engage in similar conduct in the future.”

According to OvertheCap.com, the Raiders have the most cap room in 2015. They are also last in the league in yards rushing. I don't think Peterson is going to get as many offers as he expects. Raiders should be interested so that they can then use their draft picks on other positions. I think that Dallas will choose to resign Murray rather than Peterson.

Users who are viewing this thread