What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton/Brady Comparison (1 Viewer)

Mr. Mojo

Footballguy
I've been trying to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Brady can get over the hump and Peyton can't. I think I've got one answer which I'll lead to below.Comparison:Passing - Pretty even, both extremely accurate with plenty of arm strength. Possible edge to ManningReading Defenses - Both excellent, possible edge to Brady.Leadership - Both get the most out of their players, have good leadership qualities, possible edge to Brady.Mobility - I think this is the difference. Brady seems able to escape a rush, move out of the pocket, etc. and Peyton can't seem to get away.I think one or two plays in a big game where a sack is replaced by a completed pass or even an incompletion is a huge difference. Big edge to Brady.Thoughts?

I dont think its mobility. Manning rarely gets sacked during the regular season. During the playoffs he turns into a Kurt Warner clone back there. I was arguing with my friend that Manning cant get it done in the playoffs. Im not a Manning hater at all. As a matter of fact I was rooting for him the last 2 years cuz I felt bad for him and wanted to see hiim get over the hump. My friend kept saying how it wasnt his fault that they kept sacking him. And I said it was and it wasnt due to a lack of mobility. How come he doesnt get sacked alot during the regular season? The answer is Manning gets some kind of mental block back there and starts getting happy feet. He doesnt change to a 3 step drop and dump it off and he holds on to the ball too long. When he does get it off hes often on the move or throwing off his back foot. Its all mental with him.

Leadership - Both get the most out of their players, have good leadership qualities, possible edge to Brady.
Insanely huge edge to Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leadership - Both get the most out of their players, have good leadership qualities, possible edge to Brady.
I agree. Brady at least appears to have a tight bond with his players. He's one of the guys yet he takes the responsibility onto his back. While this may be true of Manning, he doesn't exude that quality. I think Manning is an exceptional technician and excels with marching his team downfield (well typically anyhow). I don't have a sense of him with his teammates though.Of course, who among us really does know any of this stuff about either guy? :shrug:

I agree. Brady at least appears to have a tight bond with his players. He's one of the guys yet he takes the responsibility onto his back. While this may be true of Manning, he doesn't exude that quality. I think Manning is an exceptional technician and excels with marching his team downfield (well typically anyhow). I don't have a sense of him with his teammates though.Of course, who among us really does know any of this stuff about either guy? :shrug:
At this point in their careers, I'd give the edge to Brady even though I like Manning better...

I think the difference is that Brady trusts his teammates and coaching staff and Manning doesn't trust his. Brady plays within himself and doesn't try to do more than he's aksed to do. What was surprising to me about teh interception Brady threw to Bailey was that I think it came about due to frustration and an inability to play within himself. NE had twice kicked FGs and faced 3 and goal with a 10-6 lead. I honestly believe that Brady went under center with the mindset that coming out of that drive with a 10-9 deficit would have been a failure and that's why he forced that ball into coverage. That is not typically the kind of play Brady makes. Conversely, Manning throwing to Wayne on 2nd and two and deep again on 3rd and two are EXACTLY the type of plays Manning has made in big games past. In addition, if the protection wasn't there earlier in the game, why didn't Indy/Manning call more draws, reverses, and screens to slow the pass rush down? Again, I think the answer is trust. Manning wants to win the game his way, rather than take what the defense is giving.As always, just my opinion.

I think the difference is that Brady trusts his teammates and coaching staff and Manning doesn't trust his. Brady plays within himself and doesn't try to do more than he's aksed to do. What was surprising to me about teh interception Brady threw to Bailey was that I think it came about due to frustration and an inability to play within himself. NE had twice kicked FGs and faced 3 and goal with a 10-6 lead. I honestly believe that Brady went under center with the mindset that coming out of that drive with a 10-9 deficit would have been a failure and that's why he forced that ball into coverage. That is not typically the kind of play Brady makes. Conversely, Manning throwing to Wayne on 2nd and two and deep again on 3rd and two are EXACTLY the type of plays Manning has made in big games past. In addition, if the protection wasn't there earlier in the game, why didn't Indy/Manning call more draws, reverses, and screens to slow the pass rush down? Again, I think the answer is trust. Manning wants to win the game his way, rather than take what the defense is giving.

As always, just my opinion.
I agree with a lot of your comments, however, I remember Manning being interviewed during the season and he admitted changing pass plays to runs because of the way the defense set up.I didn't mind the 2nd and 2 going for the TD, but on 3rd and 2, they should have thrown a short pass to get the first, have another crack at the end zone and get closer for Vanderjagt. Throwing a 15 yarder to no one seemed lame.

The secret to the Patriots' success:There are two players on the field whose job descriptions make them most susceptible to the effects of nerves when a game is on the line: QB's and kickers.Neither Brady nor Vinatieri has the best set of physical tools of any QB or K in the NFL. But both are steel-eyed killers late, with the game on the line.This, of course, only matters if you as a team are consistently in positions where this matters. The best way to get into this position is to put together a gameplan that is likely to keep games close. Belichick has assembled a good but not quite great D and a good but not quite great O, and allows each to play a safe and fairly conservative style that maximizes the number of close games.For most other teams, this is a recipe for .500 ball. But with the QB and K being two of the best ever at raising their games come reckoning time, that .500 gameplan turns into a high percentage play. And the bigger the stakes, the more likely Brady and AV are to be less nervous than the opposition.Keep it close, and let the guys with ice in their veins be the difference. Simple, but awfully effective.So the difference between Brady and Manning? In the post-season, when everybody's nervous, talent is even, and games stay close, nerves of steel matter a lot more than raw physical skill.

Peyton: very Bledsoe-like happy feet when the pressure is on (SD and Pitt are examples this year....Pats playoff game last year). I can't recall the last time I've seen a happy-feet guy be successful under pressure.Brady: few others with his pocket presence.And I have to say this: Peyton is a hypocrit in the worst way....says his "stupid kicker" comment to Vandy a couple of years ago, then throws his OL under the bus. He can't suck bad enough.

Bottom Line Mr Manning can not handle pressure when he gets behind in a playoff game he has to make it up with a deep pass hey guess what everyone knows except him.Brady plays cool under pressure.Brady is a better QbIm a Manning fan but the truth can not be denied.

Brady-consistently get's it done. Manning-Consistently doesn't.

What was surprising to me about teh interception Brady threw to Bailey was that I think it came about due to frustration and an inability to play within himself. NE had twice kicked FGs and faced 3 and goal with a 10-6 lead. I honestly believe that Brady went under center with the mindset that coming out of that drive with a 10-9 deficit would have been a failure and that's why he forced that ball into coverage.
to be fair to Brady. Hey, it wasn't the best pass, but you've got to give Bailey credit making the play. It really was a heck of a play on the ball from a corner. Brady needed more on it, but it wasn't a horrible pass, and a gimme for Bailey.

Users who are viewing this thread