What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning (1 Viewer)

I have a different view on Manning not being placed on the IR and it has less to do with football and more to do with money. I don't have all the facts and there is a lot of supposition here but bear with me. Manning signs a huge new contract while he was hurt without anyone even stumbling on that this is a very serious injury? I assume that IND has an insurance policy to mitigate this contract in case of a career ending injury; what's to say that IND doesn't has an interest in seeing Manning at least make it back to the field so that insurance policy would kick in. I am also making the assumption that the insurance company would cry "foul" if they were on the hook for his salary and they felt someone should of caught this injury; if he never played again. I feel that Manning could make it back on the field this year but only to prove he is damaged goods. I just cant see Manning playing in a few meaningless games heaving the ball 40 times per, it would be almost unbelievable to forecast this from here; more like some token series to see what is going on.

I have a different view on Manning not being placed on the IR and it has less to do with football and more to do with money. I don't have all the facts and there is a lot of supposition here but bear with me. Manning signs a huge new contract while he was hurt without anyone even stumbling on that this is a very serious injury? I assume that IND has an insurance policy to mitigate this contract in case of a career ending injury; what's to say that IND doesn't has an interest in seeing Manning at least make it back to the field so that insurance policy would kick in. I am also making the assumption that the insurance company would cry "foul" if they were on the hook for his salary and they felt someone should of caught this injury; if he never played again. I feel that Manning could make it back on the field this year but only to prove he is damaged goods. I just cant see Manning playing in a few meaningless games heaving the ball 40 times per, it would be almost unbelievable to forecast this from here; more like some token series to see what is going on.
wat

The closest Peyton is going to come to come to making a John Cena like return is to use his catch phrase," You Can't See Me".

One thing I'm not seeing is anybody saying..

------------

OK, if Manning comes back healthy, And they do get that first pick..

They either Draft luck and trade him, or trade that first pick for players/picks.

As much as people are pumping Luck it's always possible he isn't as good as he

is advertised, you know what you have in Manning, add some more talent around

him an your back to being a contender again.. Seems quite plausible to me.

Ride the proven commodity out as long as you can, if you get picks and or players

for Luck should make your team better then it was even before Manning got hurt. :)

The insurance company puts him through their own medical evaluation. They don't just take the team's word that he's healthy when they're insuring his salary for tens of millions of dollars. HTH.

One thing I'm not seeing is anybody saying..------------OK, if Manning comes back healthy, And they do get that first pick..They either Draft luck and trade him, or trade that first pick for players/picks.As much as people are pumping Luck it's always possible he isn't as good as heis advertised, you know what you have in Manning, add some more talent aroundhim an your back to being a contender again.. Seems quite plausible to me.Ride the proven commodity out as long as you can, if you get picks and or players for Luck should make your team better then it was even before Manning got hurt. :)
This type of mentality is exactly what got the Colts to where they are now. No plan in place if Manning were to go down. Assuming they end up with the #1 overall pick..... maybe they don't take Luck first overall, but they damn well better take a QB in the first round (ie Matt barkley, Landry Jones) a liitle later and get a couple picks. But if they're convinced Luck really is that good relative to the others, you have to take him. B F D if you hurt Manning's feelings. The Colts have been built for so long around Manning that it's time to build it like a normal team.

John Cena (WWE Wrestler) went back in the ring 8 weeks after the same surgery and the doctors estimate an absolute max of 12 weeks for Manning.
Great comparison... Professional wrestling is the most demanding sport in the world. I once saw Andre the Giant wrestle and pin TEN MIDGETS at the Allentown Fair while he was wearing - what appeared to be - a girdle!Back to reality, I hate to be a downer, but my feeling since the summer is that Manning's career may be over. This surgery has forced other players into retirement, Manning is no spring chicken, and talk about a position where you really need to have your head on a swivel. I don't know... I hope he comes back and plays well, but I have serious doubts.
From what I've been hearing from DR.s on the various NFL shows, the fusing procedure is a career saving procedure. Mark Schlereth has mentioned he's know several players that had the procedure and were able to continue playing at a Probowl level. I doubt they'd fuse bones that would prevent him from turning his head.
This is the exact injury/procedure that ended Erik Kramer's career (nerve damage, neck fusion, etc.). Along with several others that were listed in articles running around the beginning of the season (Chris Speilman and Sterling Sharpe were mentioned... can't remember the others).My father-in-law had this surgery almost 20 years ago and never re-gained the mobility in his neck... he has to turn his shoulders to look side-to-side. Joe Montana voiced this same concern for Manning in an interview.My feeling on this matter is that the Colts are in "wait and see" mode with serious doubts that Manning can effectively return. No way that kind of concern gets voiced before the off-season though.

The insurance company puts him through their own medical evaluation. They don't just take the team's word that he's healthy when they're insuring his salary for tens of millions of dollars. HTH.
I agree but do you really think that the condition wasn't present at least in some form when the contract was being signed. It is not the insurance company's job to discover an undisclosed but known injury. IIRC, IND signed that contract, in July, when the NFL and the players union had like a 2-week hiatus in their lock-out. It seemed IND and Manning really went through contortions to get the contract into that time frame, considering that he came back injured to start training camp. I admit that this is a conspiracy theory, of sorts, but I never saw the reason for IND to put that contract through when they did, considering there was some question of his health then. You can ignore my speculation all you want but I still don't see Manning playing in meaningless games, at least not for significant minutes, this season.

I have a source that says the Colts have reached out to Tim Tebow to see if he would be willing to lay hands on Manning's neck. The Broncos, obviously, want to intervene and stop this. Why help the Colts get back their all world QB? But Tebow really hates to see another QB suffer, so he is inclined to help.

My gut says Tebow defies the broncs and goes to assist. If he does not I fear the outcome for Manning is bleak. This is a very rare occurrence, we have the careers of two future hall of fame quarterbacks hanging in the balance. I fear if Tebow defies his team that he will get blackballed and if he ignores Manning it may mean that Manning will have to retire.

This is rare drama unfolding before our eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but do you really think that the condition wasn't present at least in some form when the contract was being signed. It is not the insurance company's job to discover an undisclosed but known injury. IIRC, IND signed that contract, in July, when the NFL and the players union had like a 2-week hiatus in their lock-out. It seemed IND and Manning really went through contortions to get the contract into that time frame, considering that he came back injured to start training camp. I admit that this is a conspiracy theory, of sorts, but I never saw the reason for IND to put that contract through when they did, considering there was some question of his health then. You can ignore my speculation all you want but I still don't see Manning playing in meaningless games, at least not for significant minutes, this season.
This is definitely conspiracy theory more than anything else. I am willing to bet that any insurance company that is going to insure 10's of millions of dollars against injury would require a physical, x-rays, doctor records, etc. They are going to want to know everything that they can. I just applied for life insurance and it was only for enough to cover my mortgage and I had to pee in a cup, get blood drawn, weighed, measured, release doctor records, etc.

'B-Deep said:
I have a source that says the Colts have reached out to Tim Tebow to see if he would be willing to lay hands on Manning's neck. The Broncos, obviously, want to intervene and stop this. Why help the Colts get back their all world QB? But Tebow really hates to see another QB suffer, so he is inclined to help.

My gut says Tebow defies the broncs and goes to assist. If he does not I fear the outcome for Manning is bleak. This is a very rare occurrence, we have the careers of two future hall of fame quarterbacks hanging in the balance. I fear if Tebow defies his team that he will get blackballed and if he ignores Manning it may mean that Manning will have to retire.

This is rare drama unfolding before our eyes.
LOL! Manning should just start Tebowing now.

'Alkahsu said:
'pittstownkiller said:
This is definitely conspiracy theory more than anything else

. I am willing to bet that any insurance company that is going to insure 10's of millions of dollars against injury would require a physical, x-rays, doctor records, etc. They are going to want to know everything that they can. I just applied for life insurance and it was only for enough to cover my mortgage and I had to pee in a cup, get blood drawn, weighed, measured, release doctor records, etc.
I was clear about that up front.

sportsguy (tend to agree with him here)

Yes, this Manning right now — at this moment, the one with the still-healing neck that might get worse if anyone popped him even once. Question: If your life depended on winning one game, wouldn't you rather have a semi-crippled Manning over anyone else on this list? Just have him stand seven yards behind center, shotgun every snap and dump the ball anytime any pass-rusher gets close. By the way, I don't think Manning is coming back. Three neck surgeries in two years? Stem cell treatments in Europe? This seems insane. He won a Super Bowl, set some records and made more than enough money. Why risk it? What's the point? You don't mess around with heads, necks and backs. My personal take: I think Indy knows he's probably not coming back; that's just one of the 27 reasons they haven't fired Jim Caldwell yet. They need Andrew Luck as much as Miami does.

I could see Manning wanting to play so he can show that he is able to play after the surgery just in case the Colts are in a spot to draft Luck. The Colts might want him to play if they have the #1 pick locked up and believe it will increase Peyton's trade value. I could also see them putting Peyton on IR if they don't have the #1 pick locked up, so he doesn't go in and win a couple of games causing them to lose out.
I can't see the Colts trading Manning anytime soon. The guy is the face of their franchise. If the Colts are in contention for drafting Luck, the best thing they do is draft him and have him sit behind Manning.
There's no reason to trade him. The Colts have a chance to get Manning back healthy next season, and land the #1 pick in the draft. They can take Luck, and Manning will be 35 or so by next season. Manning isn't going to play at an elite level forever, especially coming off the injury, missing a season and being in his mid 30's, but if can return at a high level, he's got a few left and then Luck takes the job 3 years down the road fully knowing the offense. Of course, in an ideal situation, the team that drafts Luck doesn't have to wait 2 or 3 years to see him play, but his talent is too good to pass if they can get the chance to take him.

I'm surprised the details of Mannings contract haven't been brought up here. I recall hearing it before, but Schlereth talked about it on Mike & Mike this morning, and I thought about this thread.

The Colts have a sort of escape-hatch on Manning, where they can release him before the end of the 2011 season (February-ish), and only end up paying him the $26 million for 2011, with no further money owed. So if Manning is fully healthy in mid-December, there would be a strong business motivation for the Colts to "kick the tires", so to speak, and see if Manning is going to be able to earn the rest of those millions he's in line for.

If he does not play in 2011, they might consider releasing him and re-signing him for something less, since it seems unlikely that anyone else would be willing to pay him what he's making now, with the injury concerns and all. So Manning would have a financial incentive to prove he can play as well.

So, I do think it's too early to rule out Manning playing.

sportsguy (tend to agree with him here)

Yes, this Manning right now — at this moment, the one with the still-healing neck that might get worse if anyone popped him even once. Question: If your life depended on winning one game, wouldn't you rather have a semi-crippled Manning over anyone else on this list? Just have him stand seven yards behind center, shotgun every snap and dump the ball anytime any pass-rusher gets close. By the way, I don't think Manning is coming back. Three neck surgeries in two years? Stem cell treatments in Europe? This seems insane. He won a Super Bowl, set some records and made more than enough money. Why risk it? What's the point? You don't mess around with heads, necks and backs. My personal take: I think Indy knows he's probably not coming back; that's just one of the 27 reasons they haven't fired Jim Caldwell yet. They need Andrew Luck as much as Miami does.
:popcorn:

I'm surprised the details of Mannings contract haven't been brought up here. I recall hearing it before, but Schlereth talked about it on Mike & Mike this morning, and I thought about this thread.The Colts have a sort of escape-hatch on Manning, where they can release him before the end of the 2011 season (February-ish), and only end up paying him the $26 million for 2011, with no further money owed. So if Manning is fully healthy in mid-December, there would be a strong business motivation for the Colts to "kick the tires", so to speak, and see if Manning is going to be able to earn the rest of those millions he's in line for. If he does not play in 2011, they might consider releasing him and re-signing him for something less, since it seems unlikely that anyone else would be willing to pay him what he's making now, with the injury concerns and all. So Manning would have a financial incentive to prove he can play as well.So, I do think it's too early to rule out Manning playing.
That's why it's very important that Indy doesn't win a game, they can release Manning and get Luck. Problem solved.

I'm surprised the details of Mannings contract haven't been brought up here. I recall hearing it before, but Schlereth talked about it on Mike & Mike this morning, and I thought about this thread.

The Colts have a sort of escape-hatch on Manning, where they can release him before the end of the 2011 season (February-ish), and only end up paying him the $26 million for 2011, with no further money owed. So if Manning is fully healthy in mid-December, there would be a strong business motivation for the Colts to "kick the tires", so to speak, and see if Manning is going to be able to earn the rest of those millions he's in line for.

If he does not play in 2011, they might consider releasing him and re-signing him for something less, since it seems unlikely that anyone else would be willing to pay him what he's making now, with the injury concerns and all. So Manning would have a financial incentive to prove he can play as well.

That's why it's very important that Indy doesn't win a game, they can release Manning and get Luck. Problem solved.
If Manning gets released and they draft Luck, I hope he signs with the Jags or Titans. :popcorn:

'Reepicheep said:
I'm surprised the details of Mannings contract haven't been brought up here. I recall hearing it before, but Schlereth talked about it on Mike & Mike this morning, and I thought about this thread.The Colts have a sort of escape-hatch on Manning, where they can release him before the end of the 2011 season (February-ish), and only end up paying him the $26 million for 2011, with no further money owed. So if Manning is fully healthy in mid-December, there would be a strong business motivation for the Colts to "kick the tires", so to speak, and see if Manning is going to be able to earn the rest of those millions he's in line for. If he does not play in 2011, they might consider releasing him and re-signing him for something less, since it seems unlikely that anyone else would be willing to pay him what he's making now, with the injury concerns and all. So Manning would have a financial incentive to prove he can play as well.So, I do think it's too early to rule out Manning playing.
This.

'Walton Goggins said:
Who knew it was so simple to replace possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game?You probably also think tofu is a fine replacement for a porterhouse.Get le grip.

'Reepicheep said:
'Walton Goggins said:
'Reepicheep said:

If Manning gets released and they draft Luck, I hope he signs with the Jags or Titans. :popcorn:
Eli's back-up/OC?

'Walton Goggins said:
Who knew it was so simple to replace possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game?You probably also think tofu is a fine replacement for a porterhouse.Get le grip.
If he never plays again (people are shrugging off his injury and locking in that he will return and return at elite level) then what better to replace him than Luck who is regarded as the next Peyton.

'Walton Goggins said:
If he never plays again (people are shrugging off his injury and locking in that he will return and return at elite level) then what better to replace him than Luck who is regarded as the next Peyton.
How often do the next __________ ever pan out?Luck is good, but his hype is ridiculous.

'Walton Goggins said:
How often do the next __________ ever pan out?Luck is good, but his hype is ridiculous.
Yea I agree... I don't care how good Luck is he will never be as good as Peyton Manning... Manning is a once in a lifetime QB that we are seeing

Peyton Manning - QB - Colts

The Indianapolis Star's Phillip B. Wilson is "leaning beyond 50-50" on Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) "ever playing in Indy again, if anywhere."

Wilson says he's "maybe even 30-70" on Manning ever playing again. It's a sobering assessment from the long-time Colts' beat writer, who has been as close to Manning's situation as anybody. Manning is expected to remain without a timetable for a return until he meets with his doctors on December 1.

Wow, this is thus far the most negative prognosis I have heard yet. First serious member of press I have heard float the idea that Peyton would miss anything beyond the season.

This had the makings of a career ending injury from the start.

would people really be surprised?

Just glad I got to watch possibly the best ever do his thing. And he still went out "on top", you know... in a weird sort of way.

Colts pondering life after Manning

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823bdbf7/article/mannings-ability-to-practice-crucial-to-colts-evaluation?module=HP11_headline_stack

Polian admitted to Sirius XM radio on Thursday that the Colts would like to see Manning practice before the season ends, as his evaluation would play a crucial role in dictating how the team approaches Manning's contract this offseason.

Manning's contract includes a $28 million option early next year that will determine his future with the team. If the Colts elect not the pick up the option, Manning would become a free agent.

On Thursday, Manning made his second impromptu locker room appearance of the season, telling reporters that he is healing. Just not very fast.

"We're still waiting for the fusion to take place, it's still going slow and we still have some issues with the regeneration of the nerve," he said. "I still have some restrictions."

'Walton Goggins said:
Yea I agree... I don't care how good Luck is he will never be as good as Peyton Manning... Manning is a once in a lifetime QB that we are seeing
Teams want Luck because the last time a QB was graded that high was....Peyton Manning

Question: If the Manning owner in your league finally gave up hope and dropped him (redraft), would you pick him up?

Seems like the entire goal is getting him healthy enough to practice in December. Gotta be HIGHLY unlikely he suits up for a game, yes?

Question: If the Manning owner in your league finally gave up hope and dropped him (redraft), would you pick him up?

Seems like the entire goal is getting him healthy enough to practice in December. Gotta be HIGHLY unlikely he suits up for a game, yes?
Keeper League? Yeah, I think I would if I had the roster room. This season is a loss for sure, but who knows for next year? Don't look for THAT answer in this thread or any of the others. Just calling it a hunch that we will see Peyton on the field again - just not anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread